ADVERTISEMENT

Which Orlando hotel(s) will host the most UK fans?

Kampus Korner

All-American
Mar 23, 2007
Saratoga, New York
My wife and I are going to the game. Anyone know which hotel will host the main UK entourage? I see where UK has a package that includes the JW Marriott Hotel. Where is everybody staying?

My wife and I are going to the game. Anyone know which hotel will host the main UK entourage? I see where UK has a package that includes the JW Marriott Hotel. Where is everybody staying?
The UKAA packages and events typically follow the team, but I've not been to the recent bowls. Any change there, fellas?

The UKAA packages and events typically follow the team, but I've not been to the recent bowls. Any change there, fellas?

I’ve been to every bowl since ‘93.

It little matters. We will be Everywhere in great numbers. Essentially, all Hotels become UK sites.

Go to any restaurant w/i 150 miles of Orlando on December 28th for supper (dinner for the urban folk) and you’ll likely be seated next to folks from Corbin, Paducah, Pikeville, etc., etc.

The Alumni Assoc. Hotel is the Rosen Shingle Creek. The K-Fund group has rooms at The Marriott.

If my wife, and mother want to come down, name a hotel we need to check out?

I would check out the JW Marriott. All of the K fund members will be staying there. I checked out the package UK was advertising for a charter flight and 3 nights at the JW Marriott but I got a room for 4 nights and a flight from Lexington for $1,000 less.

.... It little matters. We will be Everywhere in great numbers. Essentially, all Hotels become UK sites.
Go to any restaurant w/i 150 miles of Orlando on December 28th for supper (dinner for the urban folk) and you’ll likely be seated next to folks from Corbin, Paducah, Pikeville, etc., etc.

I have no doubt that there will be a LOT of UK fans in for the game, and you are correct that it likely matters lilttle at which hotel one stays, but your other comment might be a bit hyperbolic ... given that even excluding all tourists and fans, there are easily 11-12 million people who live within 150 miles of Orlando.

I have no doubt that there will be a LOT of UK fans in for the game, and you are correct that it likely matters lilttle at which hotel one stays, but your other comment might be a bit hyperbolic ... given that even excluding all tourists and fans, there are easily 11-12 million people who live within 150 miles of Orlando.

A UK fan hyperbolic?? However, I bet he is correct. It's been my experience that UK fans populate all surrounding areas pretty well.

but your other comment might be a bit hyperbolic ... given that even excluding all tourists and fans, there are easily 11-12 million people who live within 150 miles of Orlando.

Not as much hyperbolic as historic.

When Kentucky played in the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1, 1999, I stayed with family friends in Cocoa, on the Atlantic Coast.

On the evening of December 27, I fed the crew at a local restaurant, and wore my Kentucky cap just to show it off.

Out of perhaps 20 tables with customers eating, there were a total of 6 Kentucky caps, at six different tables.

That was 5 days before the bowl, and on the opposite coast.

That Outback Bowl was the first (and subsequently rare) Outback Bowl sellout, with 66,005 attending. My estimate (and the estimate of many) was that we provided 50K for the game.

I could relate similar stories about the Music City Bowls in '06, and '07, also sellouts.

Frankly, our widely celebrated crowd of 25-30K at Tampa in '16 was a little disappointing to me. The TS/Gator was pleased with our turnout, but it did not sell the stadium out . . . easily 15/20K empty seats.

If you've never been a part of the "Blue mist," Novi-gator, you just wouldn't understand.

I've seen us provide 70-80% of Bowl crowds ('98 Outback, '99 Music City, '06 Music City, '07 Music City, '16 TS/Gator) and at SEC Basketball Tourneys in Atlanta, Nashville and New Orleans, perhaps 70% of the total crowds.

We have a history of traveling MASSIVELY.

there are easily 11-12 million people who live within 150 miles of Orlando.

Well, in my little town in Kentucky, (3,000), I have discovered there are at least 10 families with "homes" within 45 miles of Orlando. I'm sure these range from mobile home parks to really nice, but I'm hearing most of these folks are headed to the Citrus.

Not as much hyperbolic as historic.

When Kentucky played in the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1, 1999, I stayed with family friends in Cocoa, on the Atlantic Coast.

On the evening of December 27, I fed the crew at a local restaurant, and wore my Kentucky cap just to show it off.

Out of perhaps 20 tables with customers eating, there were a total of 6 Kentucky caps, at six different tables.

That was 5 days before the bowl, and on the opposite coast.

That Outback Bowl was the first (and subsequently rare) Outback Bowl sellout, with 66,005 attending. My estimate (and the estimate of many) was that we provided 50K for the game.

I could relate similar stories about the Music City Bowls in '06, and '07, also sellouts.

Frankly, our widely celebrated crowd of 25-30K at Tampa in '16 was a little disappointing to me. The TS/Gator was pleased with our turnout, but it did not sell the stadium out . . . easily 15/20K empty seats.

If you've never been a part of the "Blue mist," Novi-gator, you just wouldn't understand.

I've seen us provide 70-80% of Bowl crowds ('98 Outback, '99 Music City, '06 Music City, '07 Music City, '16 TS/Gator) and at SEC Basketball Tourneys in Atlanta, Nashville and New Orleans, perhaps 70% of the total crowds.

We have a history of traveling MASSIVELY.

Hack, you are spot on. I was at the Outback Bowl in 98 and the “Blue Mist” was omnipresent. The UK fans took over Ybor City, the Tampa equvalent of the “French Quarter” I was at the Music City Bowl when we played Florida State. It was like a home game. I also go back to the 1976 Peach Bowl where at least 40,000 UK fans marched to Atlanta.

I also hope UK brings more folks than it did to Jacksonville for the Taxslayer Bowl, that was disappointing.

I also hope UK brings more folks than it did to Jacksonville for the Taxslayer Bowl, that was disappointing.

Frankly, I was a tad shocked to see such empty upper decks in Jacksonville.

We filled "our" lower bowl, and when I got home, I estimated that Ga. Tech had 60% on their lower bowl, but folks posted photos and we might have had the majority on their side, too. Some estimated 70% of their side.

Still the estimates of 25 to 30K in Blue were not a disappointment to the Gator Bowl officials who went out of their way to compliment Kentucky's turnout.

I'm hoping we bring 40K to Orlando, and I think there's a good chance we do so.

The initial allotment is nearly sold out, and most folks don't go through the University anymore, as the schools generally get corner seating. (I no longer do.).

I posted my thread asking if folks were going to a Bowl for the first time, and got a healthy response. New folks going will help replace those too old or departed, who used to make these a habit.

I'm guessing 40K in UK Blue in Orlando, and 15-20K for Penn State. That would put the final crowd at 55K to 60K, and would be one of the better attended Bowl games.

Reactions: Kampus Korner

We filled "our" lower bowl, and when I got home, I estimated that Ga. Tech had 60% on their lower bowl, but folks posted photos and we might have had the majority on their side, too. Some estimated 70% of their side.

Still the estimates of 25 to 30K in Blue were not a disappointment to the Gator Bowl officials who went out of their way to compliment Kentucky's turnout.

The initial allotment is nearly sold out, and most folks don't go through the University anymore, as the schools generally get corner seating. (I no longer do.).

I posted my thread asking if folks were going to a Bowl for the first time, and got a healthy response. New folks going will help replace those too old or departed, who used to make these a habit.

I'm guessing 40K in UK Blue in Orlando, and 15-20K for Penn State. That would put the final crowd at 55K to 60K, and would be one of the better attended Bowl games.
Good post, Hack. I did enjoy you talking about UK and a bowl habit. Guess we are not there yet, but after my many years of UK football, I do still have hope that it will become a habit.

I agree getting tickets from UK is a bad move. I can get better tix via online brokers. It’s more expensive but UK is in the Citrus Bowl about as frequently as Haley’s Comet. I’m ready to go now.

ADVERTISEMENT