ADVERTISEMENT

Which former UK player/fringe NBA guy has surprised you the most in terms of NBA under-performance?

Which former UK player has surprised you the most in terms of NBA under-performance?

• Total voters

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
To be fair, some of these guys were second round picks and had a low ceiling when they were drafted, but I thought I'd include these six because they presently represent the contingency of Calipari-era guys who are hanging back in the fringes of the league right now (Orton being the exception, who I didn't include because of his injuries).

I went with James Young. He had the physical tools to be successful in that Celtic system, but apparently was missing another piece or two.

He got my vote as well. At one time, some folks were saying he might be a top 5 pick. Plus, I think Jones and Goodwin actually played to their ceilings. Goodwin was always going to be a slashing scorer, and when given the opportunity in the NBA, he has filled that role pretty well. GMs just don't like him long-term because of his ineffectiveness passing the ball and inconsistent perimeter shooting. Jones also has done about as well as could be imagined. He's a career 11/6 guy who has battled injuries.

Aaron Harrison probably shot himself out of the league last year with his stint in Dallas, but he's always been an overhyped shooter since high school, when he only shot about 34% from three as a senior and was somehow billed as an elite shooter. Teague never gained the critical three point shot, and for a guy lacking elite athleticism, it cost him a long-term NBA career. Lamb's ceiling was probably the lowest out of all these guys.

I voted Teague. I knew he had his inabilities but he was touted as being better than his brother, who was already a productive pro. I always assumed he’d tap into his potential eventually, it just hasnt happened.

Last edited:
I voted Teague. I knew he had his inabilities but he was toughted as being better than his brother, who was already a productive pro. I always assumed he’d tap into his potential eventually, it just hasnt happened.

One of the few cases where another year would have likely earned him a higher draft pick and subsequently, being drafted by a team that would invest in him more long-term.

that list is actually not that long when you think about it. and all but one of those guys won big at uk. interesting thread.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
He got my vote as well. At one time, some folks were saying he might be a top 5 pick. Plus, I think Jones and Goodwin actually played to their ceilings. Goodwin was always going to be a slashing scorer, and when given the opportunity in the NBA, he has filled that role pretty well. GMs just don't like him long-term because of his ineffectiveness passing the ball and inconsistent perimeter shooting. Jones also has done about as well as could be imagined. He's a career 11/6 guy who has battled injuries.

Aaron Harrison probably shot himself out of the league last year with his stint in Dallas, but he's always been an overhyped shooter since high school, when he only shot about 34% from three as a senior and was somehow billed as an elite shooter. Teague never gained the critical three point shot, and for a guy lacking elite athleticism, it cost him a long-term NBA career. Lamb's ceiling was probably the lowest out of all these guys.
Good points. I had actually voted for Jones, but after reading this I went back and changed it to young.

Expected all those guys to be out of the league with a lil time, so only surprise is a few of them arent

I thought terrence jones had all the tools to be a 8 - 10 yr. starter in the league for a decent team. I'm still confused as to why he isn't...

It's not because of his game. His last year in the league TJ was still very productive, and clearly is good enough.

Unfortunately, as I understand, TJ gained a reputation for being a difficult personality, which I think, caused plenty of teams to decide they'd just rather not deal with him. The way he got pushed out of the League when he was still young and clearly an NBA caliber talent felt kinda like a blackball type situation. He plainly was good enough, yet nobody would sign him.

While Jones played for a while I voted for him because he produced and for some reason can’t make it back into the league. Still only 25-26 years old and has career averages of around 10 and 6. We always knew there would be a maturity issue with him, but look at some of the other characters that stick around in the league...

I’m most disappointed with Lamb. In one final four trip and then a championship run, Doron shot 56% from 3-pt range over 11 NCAA tourney games. That was clutch, he deserves more credit for those two runs - and he could’ve won us the title in 2011 if we’d dished it to him more against Uconn.

And it looks like he hasn’t played a NBA game since 2014 despite shooting over 40% from 3 in his last two seasons. It stinks that he hasn’t gotten some better chances.

Note: Doron leads in all-time UK 3 pt % in NCAA games:

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/statistics/ncaacareer3ptfieldgoalpercent.html

Last edited:
I still wish Archie came back for the '14 team. Cal told him to come back, too. I think Aaron would have come off the bench for that team with Archie returning. Plus, outside of Hawkins, UK lacked perimeter defense, and Goodwin would have been huge in that regard, especially when UK ran into UConn's backcourt in the finals and had no answer for them.

I voted in the other category with MKG in mind. The kid is good but had a feeling he would be better. He seemed to have all the tools but a consistent jumper. The NBA is a league for scoring but he was a lockdown defender with an unreal motor. He has mental toughness that I felt would lead to working out his deficits. Injuries have held him down but not sure he’ll ever be the superstar I thought he could be. Like I said though, he’s got that desire to work and improve so you never know.

I understand the Jones pick, but I’m not sure how much he’s under-performed. When given a chance, he’s played fairly well.

Young was only 18 when he was drafted. When you look at the kind of production Boston has gotten from their young (no pun intended) talent, it’s hard to believe that James Young has barely logged 800 minutes at the NBA level.

Archie wasn’t skilled enough. Harrison and Lamb weren’t athletic enough. Young had lows hoops IQ, a lack of lateral quickness and just seemed to lack a motor too. In that great class he was the one I was most excited about - by 2/3 of the way thru that season, his fate seemed obvious. Of that group only Jones had much hope of a stay in the league.

Reactions: KFuqua
I voted in the other category with MKG in mind. The kid is good but had a feeling he would be better. He seemed to have all the tools but a consistent jumper. The NBA is a league for scoring but he was a lockdown defender with an unreal motor. He has mental toughness that I felt would lead to working out his deficits. Injuries have held him down but not sure he’ll ever be the superstar I thought he could be. Like I said though, he’s got that desire to work and improve so you never know.

He definitely has never broken through to that next level that you expect from a player of his caliber.

Change of scenery might do him some good. I think every coach in the league would love to have him on their team, but his shooting really limits what you can do with him.

I would love to see him develop a corner three, if nothing else. Would make him extremely valuable because he does all the little things.

Archie wasn’t skilled enough. Harrison and Lamb weren’t athletic enough. Young had lows hoops IQ, a lack of lateral quickness and just seemed to lack a motor too. In that great class he was the one I was most excited about - by 2/3 of the way thru that season, his fate seemed obvious. Of that group only Jones had much hope of a stay in the league.

I guess I just disagree on Young in that we all saw flaws, but he was very young and also performed great down the stretch in the Final Four.

When he went as early in the draft as he did to such a strong organization, I thought he was in perfect position to develop as a pro. I’m not saying I thought he’d be an All Star, but I was expecting more that 800 minutes played over 4 seasons.

I think, in a way, MKG is cursed by being in the wrong era. He'd have been a better fit for the 90s NBA with the more physical style and rules back then. Back in the 90s you used to see a lot more examples of those Rodman style players who succeeded despite not being able to shoot based purely on killer defense, rebounding and tough as nails hustle.

But nowadays that only gets you so far, wings have to also able to shoot. A wing that can't hit outside shots is just such a liability in today's NBA. And, unfortunately, MKG is never ever gonna be a shooter.

Last edited:
I think, in a way, MKG is cursed by being in the wrong era. He'd have been a better fit for the 90s NBA with the more physical style and rules back then. Back in the 90s you used to see a lot more examples of those Rodman style players who succeeded despite not being able to shoot based purely on killer defense, rebounding and tough as nails hustle.

But nowadays that only gets you so far, wings have to also able to shoot. A wing that can't hit outside shots is just such a liability in today's NBA. And, unfortunately, MKG is never ever gonna be a shooter.
He was also cursed in being drafted by Charlotte. But as the #2 pick he is likely the biggest disappointment, so far. Hopefully he can get it turned around.

He definitely has never broken through to that next level that you expect from a player of his caliber.

Change of scenery might do him some good. I think every coach in the league would love to have him on their team, but his shooting really limits what you can do with him.

I would love to see him develop a corner three, if nothing else. Would make him extremely valuable because he does all the little things.

With 6 seasons in the league (5 if you count his season ending injury), you'd think MKG could have ironed out a semi-reliant set shot from three. It's actually very disappointing that he hasn't developed that element of his game.

Reactions: Aike
Expected Jones to be a 10 year guy. Numbers were not bad but must have some real character issues

1. Kicked a homeless man while visiting Portland
2. Asked for a trade in New Orleans as opposed to just being content with a role on the team
3. Cussed out his coach overseas

Who knows what else he's been up to, but these three events have clouded his reputation to a large degree.

Reactions: Cindog28
I guess I just disagree on Young in that we all saw flaws, but he was very young and also performed great down the stretch in the Final Four.

When he went as early in the draft as he did to such a strong organization, I thought he was in perfect position to develop as a pro. I’m not saying I thought he’d be an All Star, but I was expecting more that 800 minutes played over 4 seasons.

I though he'd have a Brandon Knight-level impact. 12 to 15 points a game. Top 7 to 8 rotational piece.

I voted Young, edging out Jones.

Young just needed some seasoning (and improved shot) to succeed.
Jones was maybe a half step slow.
Goodwin needed a better shot and how to fit in as not the go to guy.
Harrison was also a half step slow, plus he wasn’t a great shooter.
Lamb was a one trick pony.
Teague just wasn’t good enough in any way.

I completely agree. I think he could go to a team like the Spurs and maybe be like a Bruce Bowen. Team leader and top defender. Could possibly be the breakthrough for him.

Can bring myself to pick mkg. Brandon is a consideration. I thought he had the size and skills to really contribute. That said I pick Terence home because he had size, could play in or out and had a healthy mean streak.

I don’t know what detailed him but it Is a shame.

I feel its MKG. Not that i ever thought hed be an all star but as the number 2 pick in a loaded draft, Id expected more than a 9 point 6 rebound career out of him. Hes not improved his shooting at all and I think a different team could help his career.

Had low expectations for Young. Low basketball IQ and had little interest in anything other than shooting the ball. Couldn't defend Brad.

I voted TJ but really I’m not surprised by the rest. Riding the pine and getting very little meaningful playing time at such a young age can be detrimental to development for late teens/early 20s with lots of distractions and hanger-on-ers putting further pressure on them. Their “friends” and the world around them can also be very ruthless if a player starts getting little playing time, comments on how garbage or trash they are blah blah blah. The truth is they are fragile and that money doesn’t cure all. But alas...the NBA and this system that we have.

I actually knew all of them wouldn't amount to much in the NBA except Jones. He surprised me a bit, but he's good enough to be on a roster.
Morg. You do know everything. Will I win the lotto this week if I play? Will I get any this week? Will you get any this week? Will Kvanaugh be confirmed? Will Nancy and Waters get any ever? Is obama really Gay? Is Biden his lover? Will Trump ever get a wall? Will KY. Win a Nc this year? I like you Morg. And totally trust you, so please help a brother out.

Shouldn’t be close. MKG should be first. Second pick who many thought was the next Scottie Pippen (incdluing me who has been a fan of his since I first saw him as a freshman in H.S)

But he’s not that great at getting to the rim and finishing consistently on college either though. It’s not just his shorting that’s the issues because many of non shooters have thrived in this era

ADVERTISEMENT