ADVERTISEMENT

Where would this recruiting class ranked at UK?

Is the question referencing the photo, and if all those players came to UK?

That would be #1 recruiting in Coach Cal's era. if Knox and Bamba joins.

If no Bamba and Knox. Rather not talk about it.

You don't judge these things until the players actually play. It's just pointless. I understand and appreciate the importance of winning recruiting battles as much as anyone, but it's all just numbers on paper until you see what you're getting on the court.

The 13 class was supposedly the be-all, end-all. 6 mickey D AA's, 5 top 10 players- "OH MY GOD!!!!". And hey, UK isn't going to 2 FF's in a row without that. But still- it WAS NOT what everyone had in mind.

2014, OTOH, was kind of met with a collective shrug. "Yeah, really good, BUT-". Yet I'd take a class like that over 13. 3 guys were better than reasonably expected, and the 4th was every bit as good as his top 10 rating would indicate.

Last edited:
The 13 class made it to the championship game. 14 class was great but some 13 guys were mixed in.

You don't judge these things until the players actually play. It's just pointless. I understand and appreciate the importance of winning recruiting battles as much as anyone, but it's all just numbers on paper until you see what you're getting on the court.

The 13 class was supposedly the be-all, end-all. 6 mickey D AA's, 5 top 10 players- "OH MY GOD!!!!". And hey, UK isn't going to 2 FF's in a row without that. But still- it WAS NOT what everyone had in mind.

2014, OTOH, was kind of met with a collective shrug. "Yeah, really good, BUT-". Yet I'd take a class like that over 13. 3 guys were better than reasonable expected, and the 4th was every bit as good as his top 10 rating would indicate.
Exactly, the Towns class might end with 2 all stars, maybe three. I'm thinking Towns was ranked around 9 in that class and we all know Booker's story.

Exactly, the Towns class might end with 2 all stars, maybe three. I'm thinking Towns was ranked around 9 in that class and we all know Booker's story.
The final composite ranking for those guys were Towns 5 (he was 9 by ESPN), Lyles 12, Ulis 18, and Booker 23. Ulis and Booker ended the year higher than when UK signed them, but even so, they were underrated. And Towns was the best player in the class by the end of the season.

The final composite ranking for those guys were Towns 5 (he was 9 by ESPN), Lyles 12, Ulis 18, and Booker 23. Ulis and Booker ended the year higher than when UK signed them, but even so, they were underrated. And Towns was the best player in the class by the end of the season.
I saw a YouTube video of Booker when he was in high school. He was playing one on one with Andre Iguodala and Booker more than held his own. Iguodala is one of the best defensive players in the league. How the hell Booker was that far down in the rankings is mind boggling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT