ADVERTISEMENT

Where we stand at our position groups

HoptownCat93

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2015
Well, its getting closer to that time of year and I thought about looking at the team as a whole for next year.

Strengths:
OLINE: A- Return all but Toth and some good recruits/redshirts coming in to add some more depth to what we already have.

Running backs: B+ Benny Snell is a top back in the nation. Rose and King seem like solid backup options, but unproven. Replacing Kemp and Boom hurts depth and wont be easy..but I think with the solid O-Line play can guide this group to another great year.

Secondary: B Westry, Baity, Edwards, and West are as talented a secondary as I've seen UK put on the field. Last year they struggled with some consistency and depth is not too strong, but this could be the best group on the team by the end of the year. The poor D-Line play probably put too much pressure on the guys.

Receivers(Tight-ends included): B- So much depth, experience and talent that they could be a special group. Consistency and health are all they need this year. They need Baker/Bone to step up and stay healthy and Juice needs to put together a consistent season from game 1 through 12. Senior wide outs always seem to make that big jump their last year for UK (Steve Johnson, Chris Matthews, Demarco Robinson, etc) and these guys could play big roles in making UK a high scoring team. CJ Conrad is the key piece and if Johnson and him start connecting it could make us an even better team than we think. Bowden is a wildcard in all of this too, I'm anxious for him to get going.

OK but need to be better:
Quarterbacks: C+ Great depth, but no one really stands out to be honest. Johnson did well at time, but he made some crucial turnovers that still scare me to this day. Barker is coming off a big injury and really never had a good game in the 4 starts he had before he was shut down. Hoak has yet to play a down so we will never know. We are good enough, but I think we need to do a bit better.

Linebacker: C Imagine this group without Jordan Jones and you understand why I worry about this group. I think we are deep and have potential at this group, but they were all really shaky last Fall. If our D-Line is going to be weak again, then these guys got to make that next step. I hope Eli Brown and Kash can make that step in the right direction. Josh Allen I think could be a top guy as well. Ware has star potential. A bunch of talent that CAN be good if they put in the work.

Special Teams: C- I think our kicker really carries us in this department. The punting game was awful last year. We really are OK on kick coverage, but out kick return team is not really a threat. Bowden, King, Rose, or anybody else need to step in and give us a kick return. I don't think our special teams are hurting us like they were 2 years back...but they aren't really giving us an edge outside of Austin's field goals.

Weakness:
D-Line: D These guys play hard, but there is not much depth and they got worked when teams needed to run that ball on us last year. Bell is gone. Carter, Middleton, and Pringle are what we have right now. Elam needs to have a big year now more than ever just for depth purposes. Hopefully the coaching changes make them improve, but I really worry about getting in the trenches because this is not an SEC quality group. Not quite joker level, but not where it needs to be.

Reactions: LeWiz and The-Hack
D-line grade is probably accurate, for now. Fingers crossed.

Not a bad overall assessment. I will say that I disagree with you on LB grade. One pre season magazine has UK's LB group ranked #6 in the nation. So if that to be true, they, to me get a better than C grade. You have the top tackler returning to that group, and 2 players off the edge in Ware and Allen that ranked in the top of the sec last year in sacks. Love started slow, but really came on strong towards end of the year, but I believe Kash has a chance to unseat him for the #1 spot if he will continue to improve.

The one thing a lot of us forget when it comes to LB play is that if the DL cannot clog holes and take out multiple OL then not much your LB's can do, especially MLB when they are having to consistently take on 300lb OL. IF our DL improves substantially, that will only improve every other position group on the field.

Reactions: The-Hack
Athlon's has our receiver group/tight end group ranked 14th in the SEC. . . . and I hope the players see that, and it pisses them off.

I was pretty hard on Courtney Love, last season, and many of his problems likely had to do with lack of consistent push/ability in front of him.

Best to worst:

K
MacGinnis

Returning arguably the best kicker in the league, this one is like All-State.

LB

S - Allen, Watson, Bonner
M - Love, Ca Daniel, Walder
W - Jones, Brown, Davis
J - Ware, Watson, Bannerman (Paschal)

Without a doubt the deepest and most talented of the position groups with all-SEC type players returning at 3 of the 4 positions. Still a young group overall and oozing with potential.

QB
Johnson
Barker
Hoak
Clark
Walker

Depth, talent, along with some experience and adding the coaching expertise of Gran and Hinshaw makes this group one we really shouldn't have to worry about.

OL

LT - Mosier, Young
LG - Stenberg, Fortner
C - Stallings, Jackson
RG - Haynes, Asefo-Adjei
RT - Meadows, Asefo-Adjei

Returning 7 of the top 9 (Toth & West gone) is a strength but it's very important to develop the very young but talented depth at a couple of positions fairly quickly.

DB
CB - Baity, Griffin
SS - Edwards, Gilliam
FS - West, Robinson
CB - Westry, Johnson
N - Randolph

McClain is gone and along with all his experience and play-making ability. We will have to depend on very young subs which are super talented but inexperienced. Can't absorb too many injuries here, especially early in the season.

Slot Receiver
Garrett Johnson
Charles Walker
Lynn Bowden
Clevan Thomas
Ryan Kendall

So deep and talented along with oozing potential and having exhibited on the field production that I expect springtime standout Thomas to red shirt unless he's pressed into service at WR.

TE/FB
Conrad
Hart
Rigg
Kirby
Sauder

Lots of potential and very deep. Would have rated them higher if they had more previous on field production to point to.

D-Line
DT - Middleton, Looney, Cross
NG - Pringle, Elam, Dubose, Hyde
DE - Carter, Hoskins, Ke Daniel, Taylor

While the names will not jump out at you the overall depth is very good with returning upperclass experience along with talented youngsters. This group, more than any other, could make the biggest jump and therefore could make the biggest difference for 2017 than any other position group on the team and I fully expect them to. Adding in the fact that the incoming class (Juco Hoskins, Paschal, Bohanna, Whittaker, Abadi-Fitzgerald) are one of the best position groups of our recent signees, I think we have the cavalry on the way and some could see the field early as they're that good.

RB
Snell
Snell
Snell
King
Rose
Koback

Scary thin if something happens to Benny. Rose must show out and Koback must be healthy and ready to play.

Coverage and return teams

Another group that has the chance to really move up the board, The biggest reason these teams have improved the past couple of years is our overall increasing talent and athleticism. We're accruing some big, fast, SEC-like athletes with each succeeding signing class. The problem has been lack of breakaway type talent. Walker and King are steady at PR and KR but we need some of the new kids to really show out here to make a difference.

WR
Z - Baker, Ross, Robinson
X - Tavin Richardson, Bone

With the losses of Badet and Timmons, along with off season defections this group and spotty production from the returnees, this not nearly as deep or imposing a group as some might think. An incoming Frosh like JaVonte Richardson may end up playing a big role.

Punter
McKinniss
Aussie

Well, it can't be as bad as last year, can it?

Best to worst:

K
MacGinnis

LB

W - Jones, Brown, Davis

Without a doubt the deepest and most talented of the position groups with all-SEC type players returning at 3 of the 4 positions. Still a young group overall and oozing with potential.

QB
Johnson
Barker
Hoak
Clark
Walker

Depth, talent, along with some experience and adding the coaching expertise of Gran and Hinshaw makes this group one we really shouldn't have to worry about.

OL

LT - Mosier, Young
LG - Stenberg, Fortner
C - Stallings, Jackson
RG - Haynes, Asefo-Adjei

Returning 7 of the top 9 (Toth & West gone) is a strength but it's very important to develop the very young but talented depth at a couple of positions fairly quickly.

DB
CB - Baity, Griffin
SS - Edwards, Gilliam
FS - West, Robinson
CB - Westry, Johnson
N - Randolph

McClain is gone and along with all his experience and play-making ability. We will have to depend on very young subs which are super talented but inexperienced. Can't absorb too many injuries here, especially early in the season.

Slot Receiver
Garrett Johnson
Charles Walker
Lynn Bowden
Clevan Thomas
Ryan Kendall

So deep and talented along with oozing potential and having exhibited on the field production that I expect springtime standout Thomas to red shirt unless he's pressed into service at WR.

TE/FB
Conrad
Hart
Rigg
Kirby
Sauder

Lots of potential and very deep. Would have rated them higher if they had more previous on field production to point to.

D-Line

While the names will not jump out at you the overall depth is very good with returning upperclass experience along with talented youngsters. This group, more than any other, could make the biggest jump and therefore could make the biggest difference for 2017 than any other position group on the team and I fully expect them to. Adding in the fact that the incoming class (Juco Hoskins, Paschal, Bohanna, Whittaker, Abadi-Fitzgerald) are one of the best position groups of our recent signees, I think we have the cavalry on the way and some could see the field early as they're that good.

RB
Snell
Snell
Snell
King
Rose
Koback

Scary thin if something happens to Benny. Rose must show out and Koback must be healthy and ready to play.

Another group that has the chance to really move up the board, The biggest reason these teams have improved the past couple of years is our overall increasing talent and athleticism. We're accruing some big, fast, SEC-like athletes with each succeeding signing class. The problem has been lack of breakaway type talent. Walker and King are steady at PR and KR but we need some of the new kids to really show out here to make a difference.

WR

With the losses of Badet and Timmons, along with off season defections this group and spotty production from the returnees, this not nearly as deep or imposing a group as some might think. An incoming Frosh like JaVonte Richardson may end up playing a big role.

Punter
McKinniss
Aussie

Interpreting with grades, I cannot imagine you are giving a "C" to the LBing corps.

As others have pointed out, you're really underselling out LB unit. Ware, Allen, and Jones are all impact players. Love, while not great, improved as the year went on. LB is more worthy of a B+ than a C IMO.

Best to worst:

LB

W - Jones, Brown, Davis

Is it just a coincidence that Walder transferred after the above was posted?

Best to worst:

K
MacGinnis

LB

W - Jones, Brown, Davis

QB
Johnson
Barker
Hoak
Clark
Walker

OL

LT - Mosier, Young
LG - Stenberg, Fortner
C - Stallings, Jackson
RG - Haynes, Asefo-Adjei

DB
CB - Baity, Griffin
SS - Edwards, Gilliam
FS - West, Robinson
CB - Westry, Johnson
N - Randolph

Slot Receiver
Garrett Johnson
Charles Walker
Lynn Bowden
Clevan Thomas
Ryan Kendall

TE/FB
Conrad
Hart
Rigg
Kirby
Sauder

D-Line

RB
Snell
Snell
Snell
King
Rose
Koback

WR

Punter
McKinniss
Aussie

It really is amazing how much our roster has improved since 2012. Kudos to Stoops.

Reactions: martycat1
Is it just a coincidence that Walder transferred after the above was posted?

It's still weird to me, though, b/c I mentioned in the the post about his transfer that he will competing for the starting MLB next season as a RS So.

I have no sources (so no rumors or anything), but there can be a million reasons a kid may not be content, so I am not totally sold it's just a depth chart issue.

Best to worst:

K
MacGinnis

LB

W - Jones, Brown, Davis

QB
Johnson
Barker
Hoak
Clark
Walker

OL

LT - Mosier, Young
LG - Stenberg, Fortner
C - Stallings, Jackson
RG - Haynes, Asefo-Adjei

DB
CB - Baity, Griffin
SS - Edwards, Gilliam
FS - West, Robinson
CB - Westry, Johnson
N - Randolph

Slot Receiver
Garrett Johnson
Charles Walker
Lynn Bowden
Clevan Thomas
Ryan Kendall

TE/FB
Conrad
Hart
Rigg
Kirby
Sauder

D-Line

RB
Snell
Snell
Snell
King
Rose
Koback

WR

Punter
McKinniss
Aussie

Nice work RV - kudos ;)

What jumps out to me reading through all this is the depth we have. I can't remember seeing this much talent at the 2/3 level in 40 years, and that goes for just about every position.

The only place I disagree with on the rankings is QB. I'm fine with Johnson and I think we have potential in Barker and Hoak, but I would have the O-line and D-backs ranked ahead of QBs as I think those units are in much better shape with known talent.

Reactions: Kaizer Sosay
Nice work RV - kudos ;)

What jumps out to me reading through all this is the depth we have. I can't remember seeing this much talent at the 2/3 level in 40 years, and that goes for just about every position.

The only place I disagree with on the rankings is QB. I'm fine with Johnson and I think we have potential in Barker and Hoak, but I would have the O-line and D-backs ranked ahead of QBs as I think those units are in much better shape with known talent.

Fall practices, before the season starts, will be very interesting this year.

As far as the linebackers, I'm not grading them on a scale of "good for us" but rather comparative to other SEC schools. We aren't where we were 5-10 years in the past where we curved our guys evaluations because we were not used to having actual good talent. The grades I gave were

We have to remember, this was only a 7-6 team last season that was a play here or there from not even making a bowl and that is what I am judging on. Our linebacker potential may look good on paper, but I consider units like Bama, LSU, etc. to have A/B range talent. A C grade for me is king of like an average to above average units for SEC play.

The only group we had that looked to be a top level SEC unit was the O-Line last season and our running game. I think our secondary and receivers were good SEC units. The LB'ers last year really did improve down the stretch, but they did not play consistently at a level where I thought "wow, thats an top level SEC group". Granted, the Walker and Laster injuries ruined depth and the poor D-line play made them look worse, but its more like they have the talent to be great but need to show it all year and it does not just need to be Jones doing it. I just can't put them up there with the O-Line and running game just yet.n I see the potential and I think they will be a top group.

And to the QB's, yes we have depth..but Barker is coming off back surgery and never really had a good game before he was injured..a big unknown. Johnson was around a 54% passer with 13 TD passes, 3 rushing TDs, 6 picks, 10 fumbles and lost 6 of them. He did the job asked of him, but he's not a top half of the conference QB with all of those turnovers. Hoak again may be good, but we have not seen him play a down in live action.

Last edited:
It's still weird to me, though, b/c I mentioned in the the post about his transfer that he will competing for the starting MLB next season as a RS So.

I have no sources (so no rumors or anything), but there can be a million reasons a kid may not be content, so I am not totally sold it's just a depth chart issue.

My guess is that he 'didn't like the position switch' issue.

Well, its getting closer to that time of year and I thought about looking at the team as a whole for next year.

Strengths:
OLINE: A- Return all but Toth and some good recruits/redshirts coming in to add some more depth to what we already have.

Running backs: B+ Benny Snell is a top back in the nation. Rose and King seem like solid backup options, but unproven. Replacing Kemp and Boom hurts depth and wont be easy..but I think with the solid O-Line play can guide this group to another great year.

Secondary: B Westry, Baity, Edwards, and West are as talented a secondary as I've seen UK put on the field. Last year they struggled with some consistency and depth is not too strong, but this could be the best group on the team by the end of the year. The poor D-Line play probably put too much pressure on the guys.

Receivers(Tight-ends included): B- So much depth, experience and talent that they could be a special group. Consistency and health are all they need this year. They need Baker/Bone to step up and stay healthy and Juice needs to put together a consistent season from game 1 through 12. Senior wide outs always seem to make that big jump their last year for UK (Steve Johnson, Chris Matthews, Demarco Robinson, etc) and these guys could play big roles in making UK a high scoring team. CJ Conrad is the key piece and if Johnson and him start connecting it could make us an even better team than we think. Bowden is a wildcard in all of this too, I'm anxious for him to get going.

Quarterbacks: C+ Great depth, but no one really stands out to be honest. Johnson did well at time, but he made some crucial turnovers that still scare me to this day. Barker is coming off a big injury and really never had a good game in the 4 starts he had before he was shut down. Hoak has yet to play a down so we will never know. We are good enough, but I think we need to do a bit better.

Linebacker: C Imagine this group without Jordan Jones and you understand why I worry about this group. I think we are deep and have potential at this group, but they were all really shaky last Fall. If our D-Line is going to be weak again, then these guys got to make that next step. I hope Eli Brown and Kash can make that step in the right direction. Josh Allen I think could be a top guy as well. Ware has star potential. A bunch of talent that CAN be good if they put in the work.

Special Teams: C- I think our kicker really carries us in this department. The punting game was awful last year. We really are OK on kick coverage, but out kick return team is not really a threat. Bowden, King, Rose, or anybody else need to step in and give us a kick return. I don't think our special teams are hurting us like they were 2 years back...but they aren't really giving us an edge outside of Austin's field goals.

Weakness:
D-Line: D These guys play hard, but there is not much depth and they got worked when teams needed to run that ball on us last year. Bell is gone. Carter, Middleton, and Pringle are what we have right now. Elam needs to have a big year now more than ever just for depth purposes. Hopefully the coaching changes make them improve, but I really worry about getting in the trenches because this is not an SEC quality group. Not quite joker level, but not where it needs to be.
Don't agree with the C at LB. Allen, Jones, and Ware are arguably one of the top LB corps in the country. I believe Athlon ranks them at 6th in the country and 2nd in the SEC.

Nice work RV - kudos ;)

[thumb2][thumb2]

Strengths:

Weakness:
Your assessment of our offense is about right. You are hugely underrating our linebackers, 3 of whom are getting preseason all SEC recognition. I believe and hope you are also underrating our defensive line, but that will have to be proven on the field.

I think Linebacker is our best position group on the field this season. If they do not deserve a A+ after being rated #6 in the country overall and #2 in the SEC, no group deserves one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT