ADVERTISEMENT

When we get a qb

I’m fine with our offense. When we have a RB like Snell, SJ shouldn’t have to throw for 300. Make the easy throws and keep the chains moving for Benny.

We play a brand of offensive football that is designed to keep the defense off the field for as long as possible. Heck, we sit on the ball after 3 quarters yesterday down three scores to try and keep the defense from looking any worse. I really don't know what we are capable of on offense. We play an equivalent of four corners most of the time.

I’m fine with our offense. When we have a RB like Snell, SJ shouldn’t have to throw for 300. Make the easy throws and keep the chains moving for Benny.
SJ wins, but we need a skilled QB that can win us the big games. Like woodson's LSU, Couch. SJ is beat to hell, he limps every play, he runs a 8.0 40 yard dash, he has a bionic brace on his leg, his shoulder is probably smashed....he can't throw, he can't run, it's time for new blood next year. Unfortunately, they won't give anybody else a chance even when we are up 20, or down 20.

Reactions: brianpoe
SJ wins, but we need a skilled QB that can win us the big games. Like woodson's LSU, Couch. SJ is beat to hell, he limps every play, he runs a 8.0 40 yard dash, he has a bionic brace on his leg, his shoulder is probably smashed....he can't throw, he can't run, it's time for new blood next year. Unfortunately, they won't give anybody else a chance even when we are up 20, or down 20.
Probably my biggest complaint against MS. Next year we will have only 1 QB with any experience, unles SJ gets hurt in the Louisville game and we are forced to play someone else. Hell if that happens it wouldn't suprise me if we ran the wildcat for 3 quarters. SMH at that, but it is what it is

Love S Johnson. He is a real trooper & has been a major reason we have won games. Now 2018, we must have a QB that is a pocket passer & connect with at least 60% compleations. Just a little mobile will help also.

Grans offense needs a qb that can throw it down the field. As much as I love Stephen that's just not his game.
And apparently not the game of the other quarterbacks currently on the team as they are being recruited over.

SJ Won more SEC games than Couch and the same amount as Woodson.

SJ Won more SEC games than Couch and the same amount as Woodson.
If you're even insinuating that Johnson belongs in the same sentence as Woodson or Couch, you need to have your head examined.

Trent Dilfer, Doug Williams, Jeff Hostetler all won Super Bowls and Dan Marino didn't. I guess you think they're better than Marino.

And as always, I say this with all due respect.

Last edited:
If you're even insinuating that Johnson belongs in the same sentence as Woodson or Couch, you need to have your head examined.

Trent Dilfer, Doug Williams, Jeff Hostetler all won Super Bowls and Dan Marino didn't. I guess you think they're better than Marino.

With all due respect why don't you read the ****ing post i was responding to. Poster said we needed a winner like couch or woodson at QB. We have that. We don't have a deep threat or a defense

3 awful drops against Georgia. Not that it would have made a difference
The Richardson drop on 4th down was a killer. Convert that UK is in the red zone and probably scores a TD before half. What sucks is Tavin catches almost everything thrown at him, but had a terrible drop at a terrible time.

Reactions: JC CATS

I'd put SJ behind Couch and bit behind Woodson...but for sure better QB than JLO and Hartline in modern era. (Never saw Derrick Ramsey).

- SJ was money on deep ball last year...lose Badet and Baker now we haven't hit a deep one all year long. Let's be honest, young or not, Epps/Ali have been really bad this year. Epps made one good catch vs. Ole Miss and missed a bunch of others. Neither can seperate with speed, play ball in air, make solid catches, etc...

- SJ makes plays with his feet and that helps Benny a ton on read option game to keep defense from not respecting QB run.

- SJ is 64% on the year (for the poster saying we need a 60% passer) for 10 Tds and 4 Ints. He had us in position to win Florida game. Had Ole Miss game won before defense crapped the bed again on last drive. Beat UT on last drive. Not to mention all he did in 2016.

SJ is 14-8 as UK QB (and had both years defenses end in 80's statistically). So he had to go out and score to win games, not make mistakes and lead the team. Why we act like a passer QB is the problem is more goofy UK football fans that think games are won by scoring 40 pts a game ala Mumme era. We've had really good QB play last 2 years and we'll miss it for sure.

Everybody wanting a pure passer have clearly forgotten the QB performances we had prior to SJ. This team needs a mobile QB to win. The O line is awful in pass protection. Your QB has to be mobile to really be successful in CFB. Bama, Clemson, OSU, Oklahoma, hell look at Lamar Jackson. He is single handedly taking That other team to a bowl this year. Look at the heisman winning QBs this decade. All runners.

Reactions: JC CATS
Stephen and our offense is much more effective when he is able to mix in a few runs on hIs own. Like others said he is banged up and was reluctant to do so against GA and it slowed us down. Prior to hurting his shoulder he was really stsrting to figure out how to use the read option and we were starting to hit stride.With him we really do need a mix of all thee ... Bennie, Stephen keeping a few off the read option and throws. Missing any one makes us struggle.

Everybody wanting a pure passer have clearly forgotten the QB performances we had prior to SJ. This team needs a mobile QB to win. The O line is awful in pass protection. Your QB has to be mobile to really be successful in CFB. Bama, Clemson, OSU, Oklahoma, hell look at Lamar Jackson. He is single handedly taking That other team to a bowl this year. Look at the heisman winning QBs this decade. All runners.
Don't remind some that lament for the immobile Mumme days QB....

I think you are being a creep about this. If we had a better player at QB don’t you think we would play him? SJ most probably saved this coaching regime for better or worse. And as always, I say this with all due respect.

The losses were basically due to defense and coaching strategy not Johnson’s play.

Reactions: law1127 and kev69
I think you are being a creep about this. If we had a better player at QB don’t you think we would play him? SJ most probably saved this coaching regime for better or worse. And as always, I say this with all due respect.

The losses were basically due to defense and coaching strategy not Johnson’s play.
I like Johnson. He's a winner. I've said this numerous times. I just think he has limitations that at times hurts the offense.

I haven't said one time that I think he should be replaced as the starter. He gives us the best chance to win.

Now, next season, who knows?

Again, I say this with all due respect.

You mean like Couch, Woodson?
You may get your wish next year with Drew Barker. And when it turns into a sackfest, read option becomes useless, double Ints, etc...I don't want to hear a peep out of guys like you.

Reactions: Kingseve1
He didn't have a problem throwing it last year. Maybe it isn't all on Stephen.

He did. He was awful on everything but deep balls. Missed conrad all season on the rpo. Missed high on everything else too.

This year hes been much better on the rpo throw except last game. High on everything else again. Off on deep balls because badet isnt running wide open

Johnson has limitations but when the game is on the line and it is winning time he usually seems to exceed those limitations. The guy is just plain clutch and that is harder to find than a guy who can throw an square out with zip.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
He did. He was awful on everything but deep balls. Missed conrad all season on the rpo. Missed high on everything else too.

This year hes been much better on the rpo throw except last game. High on everything else again. Off on deep balls because badet isnt running wide open
I was talking about the deep ball. It was in response to the poster that said the deep ball wasn't SJs game.

I'd put SJ behind Couch and bit behind Woodson...but for sure better QB than JLO and Hartline in modern era. (Never saw Derrick Ramsey).

- SJ was money on deep ball last year...lose Badet and Baker now we haven't hit a deep one all year long. Let's be honest, young or not, Epps/Ali have been really bad this year. Epps made one good catch vs. Ole Miss and missed a bunch of others. Neither can seperate with speed, play ball in air, make solid catches, etc...

- SJ makes plays with his feet and that helps Benny a ton on read option game to keep defense from not respecting QB run.

- SJ is 64% on the year (for the poster saying we need a 60% passer) for 10 Tds and 4 Ints. He had us in position to win Florida game. Had Ole Miss game won before defense crapped the bed again on last drive. Beat UT on last drive. Not to mention all he did in 2016.

SJ is 14-8 as UK QB (and had both years defenses end in 80's statistically). So he had to go out and score to win games, not make mistakes and lead the team. Why we act like a passer QB is the problem is more goofy UK football fans that think games are won by scoring 40 pts a game ala Mumme era. We've had really good QB play last 2 years and we'll miss it for sure.
I would love to have another year of SJ

ADVERTISEMENT