ADVERTISEMENT

When is it OK to actually have higher expectations of Kentucky football?

He hasn't done anything? He's about to be 8-4, which is the best season since 1984.

I guess your Raftard friends didn't teach you football basics.

In a horrendous division? Losing to bad Florida and Ole Miss teams? Getting blown out by MSU and Georgia?!Not finishing above .500 in conference yet again And you want to count an automatic win with this team for next week?

Sounds so awesome.

Facilities are light years better than they were.

The SEC is as terrible as I can ever remember.

But yet, I keep hearing UK fans are impatient. It takes time to build a solid football program.

Here we are, in Stoops' 5th season. Defense is an absolute clown show.

Coaching blunders that would embarrass a grade school coach.

The really good teams we have played so far, have beaten the living hell out of us.

I just need someone to let me know when Kentucky football isn't so fragile that I can start expecting more.

6 WINS LAST YEAR AND 7 SO FAR THIS YEAR from a program that struggled to win 2 when he came. By now it would appear that being beaten by a top SEC team wouldn't leave you so wounded and fragile.

Reactions: SanAntonioCat
Dline is the biggest problem area and the hardest to recruit. When bohanna went out it made a huge difference up front and he’s a freshman. Qbs have all day to throw because we can’t get any pass rush. When we blitz they pick it up and we get burned. We get good skill players and athletes even some good oline talent. Dline is where improvement needs to come
The defensive line was a known issue before the season. Now, posters are shocked and surprised we can’t stop the best SEC offensive lines.

Screw this Defensive Head Coach shit. This team has to score every possession to compete with the big boys. Here we have a badass running back. And decent weapons on the outside. An nfl TE. And the most TRASH ASS defense in the sec.
Absolutely!!!!

I keep hearing the word next year..heard it for a few years now. I didn't expect us to win this one but I did expect us to be more disciplined. I expect us to win against UofL and our bowl. Do that and I'll consider this a decent season. Lose either and I'll be back on the Stoops must go train.
Nothing less than 30+ against LJ will win.

So impressed to know that it has been me holding the program back all along.Thanks for pointing that out. I will try my best to clean it up in the future

THis is the problem. Fans who deserve better but don’t demand it. “It is what it is” is holding us back. We need everyone to get on board and demand a better product on the field!

I love these pseudo UK fans who make absurd comments like the OP. We're trying to extricate ourselves from generations of poor football, and these idiots act like we should be challenging Alabama on a yearly basis after the Joker dumpster fire. Pathetic.

I love these pseudo UK fans like @aikenite4uk who think it's acceptable to lose winnable games against Florida and ole miss. We're trying to turn the corner and this imbecile doesn't even realize that fans wouldn't bitch about losing to great teams if you beat all the crap teams. What did Missouri beat Florida by? 30?

Smh. Typical.

I said this in another thread and it holds true here. Until we get a coach that players respect enough to run through a wall for, we will be hard pressed to win our division, let alone the SEC. I'm not advocating we change coaches at this point in time, but what James Franklin did at Vandy and even Rich Brooks here would fit in that category.

Reactions: NoDef
Peter Principle does indeed apply to Stoops i 8-4 and 4-4 in SEC is max with a weak schedule 4-8 and 2-6 in SEC awaits in coming seasons

Stoops hasn't fielded a fundamentally sound football team. His schemes suck on defense for the personnel we have, and we have really questionable choices a lot of time on offense. Give Stoops ten years and you will not see much improvement in his coaching ability.

Reactions: thepip
Sec east is worst division in power 5. Florida and Tenn make good hires and UK Blew their opportunity. Stopped is not elite.

You know he ran the ball out of WC that drive more than the 2 yard scamper, u have low football IQ or simply have an agenda. It is always exciting when we score. Do you not agree?

Yes he ran from the wildcat the previous play before to get us to the half yard line before the score and scores are always exciting. That doesn't take away from the fact that our wildcat offense as a whole has been abysmal all year long and this staff keeps running it game after game for some insane reason. We will rip off two regular 5 yard runs and then out of nowhere on the fresh set of downs here comes the wildcat. Throwing Bowden in to run the wildcat when they did was stupid. We were moving just fine but this idiotic staff felt the need once again to F up a drive by continuing their obsession with the unnecessary call to go with a wildcat and call for a non QB to throw an ill advised pass.

I love these pseudo UK fans like @aikenite4uk who think it's acceptable to lose winnable games against Florida and ole miss. We're trying to turn the corner and this imbecile doesn't even realize that fans wouldn't bitch about losing to great teams if you beat all the crap teams. What did Missouri beat Florida by? 30?

Smh. Typical.
Where did I say that it was acceptable to lose to UF? Thanks for putting words in my mouth. I'm pretty sure WE beat Mizzou? Yes, I 'm almost certain of it.

You cannot pay another person 4 million a year to take the job. We are what we are. It is what it is. We’ve been bad for a hundred 100 years. Why do fans feel entitled in Football. Have you ever coached? Trust the process. Haters gonna hate

Well by golly you can pay em 6 million and you can have about anyone but a Saben. The first rule of thumb is NOT TO HIRE an almost 50 year old assistant coach who has NEVER BEEN A HEAD COACH. There is a good reason he was never hired to be a head coach before KY. Stoops is a defensive back coach. As evidenced by this years team, not even a good one. Its a fair question, when is it ok to ask for better results?

THis is the problem. Fans who deserve better but don’t demand it. “It is what it is” is holding us back. We need everyone to get on board and demand a better product on the field!

And exactly how do we go about demanding better? Rant and rave? That won't make a difference. Is it a matter of positive thinking? If we "believe" they will win? The only thing that has ever made a difference is when we forced mb to fire jp by boycotting. I was in favor of that. Unfortunately, it seems most of the fans that left didn't come back.
Should we begin by boycotting next week's game?

I'm approaching 60. We've had season tickets since 1983. If we/I boycott again, I'm not coming back.

IMO, we are very mediocre, but it's a heck of a lot better than what I've been accustomed to.

And exactly how do we go about demanding better? Rant and rave? That won't make a difference. Is it a matter of positive thinking? If we "believe" they will win? The only thing that has ever made a difference is when we forced mb to fire jp by boycotting. I was in favor of that. Unfortunately, it seems most of the fans that left didn't come back.
Should we begin by boycotting next week's game?

I'm approaching 60. We've had season tickets since 1983. If we/I boycott again, I'm not coming back.

IMO, we are very mediocre, but it's a heck of a lot better than what I've been accustomed to.
No we shouldn't boycott. If we were to people would laugh around the nation. The truth of the matter is, this board represents a small faction of BBN. The voices on this board that are negative are not the majority. They are the loudest! Stoops has overwhelming support of BBN. That will probably make some angry, but it is just true. They will say, why isn't the stadium full? Why isn't Rupp? We get good crowds, we are mediocre and trending upward and a few want to start over. Ain't happening anytime soon

Reactions: docholiday51
No we shouldn't boycott. If we were to people would laugh around the nation. The truth of the matter is, this board represents a small faction of BBN. The voices on this board that are negative are not the majority. They are the loudest! Stoops has overwhelming support of BBN. That will probably make some angry, but it is just true. They will say, why isn't the stadium full? Why isn't Rupp? We get good crowds, we are mediocre and trending upward and a few want to start over. Ain't happening anytime soon

Where we are is better than where we've been. I just hope we've not topped out.

Some of the younger fans that want us to compete with Bama, etc...need to realize it will NEVER happen on a regular basis. While I hate to do so, I will use bball as an example: What if Bama bball fans (both of them) wanted to fire every coach that couldn't bring their program to the level of Ky? The chances of us competing with Bama, Auburn, UGA, etc... are the same as their chances of competing in bball on a regular basis. Ain't gonna happen.

Some of the younger fans that want us to compete with Bama, etc...need to realize it will NEVER happen on a regular basis. While I hate to do so, I will use bball as an example: What if Bama bball fans (both of them) wanted to fire every coach that couldn't bring their program to the level of Ky? The chances of us competing with Bama, Auburn, UGA, etc... are the same as their chances of competing in bball on a regular basis. Ain't gonna happen.

I gotta ask.

Can you find one single post anywhere in this forum where a UK fan is pissed we aren't competing with Alabama?

The announcer was spot on when he said Stoops is going to have to start beating a few teams that he "shouldn't". You can't lose games that you are supposed to win (Florida and Ole Miss @ home) and never pull off a couple of surprises. This should of been a 9 wins season, and UK doesn't get those opportunities a whole lot. I didn't think we would beat Georgia, but would of hoped for a better showing. Got to go next week and beat an average UofL team at home to keep the momentum rolling into next year.

Reactions: BIGCAT4LIFE
Where did I say that it was acceptable to lose to UF? Thanks for putting words in my mouth. I'm pretty sure WE beat Mizzou? Yes, I 'm almost certain of it.

I k ow reading comprehension is difficult but yes we did beat missou. We lost to Florida which was so freaking bad, missou was able to rest starters and humiliated Florida.

You can always want to be better.
You can also, simultaneously, be happy being .500 in the SEC in back to back years for the first time since the world was black and white.

But yet, I keep hearing UK fans are impatient. It takes time to build a solid football program.

The really good teams we have played so far, have beaten the living hell out of us.

I just need someone to let me know when Kentucky football isn't so fragile that I can start expecting more.

You’ll be able to expect more when we can achieve more consistently. Unfortunately, Stoops wasn’t given much to work with, so we don’t have any choice but to give him more time . We are moving in the right direction, however.

The announcer was spot on when he said Stoops is going to have to start beating a few teams that he "shouldn't". You can't lose games that you are supposed to win (Florida and Ole Miss @ home) and never pull off a couple of surprises. This should of been a 9 wins season, and UK doesn't get those opportunities a whole lot. I didn't think we would beat Georgia, but would of hoped for a better showing. Got to go next week and beat an average UofL team at home to keep the momentum rolling into next year.
J C and ram are correct,we are much better than we were a few years ago and better than we have been for most of the past 50 years.The question is where do we go from here?Can Stoops take the next step,I think we will begin to see the answer in the next two games this season and next season.An 8 win season this year can't be discounted as much as some here seem to want to do. If we can get to a third straight bowl game next year then Stoops moves near the top of the list of head coaches that we have had here over the past 50 years,no matter if you like it or you don't like it.

NoDef,I agree to an extent the UL game last year was the only sure fire game that Stoops won that he shouldn't have won(one might include South Carolina to a lesser degree.Stoops is still working on winning all the games he should win,looking back UF and Ole Miss might fall into that category. UL and the bowl games are big for us this year.I think winning 7 next year should be the standard to meet

I don't know if Stoops can take the next step or not but for all his shortcomings and missteps he is an improvement over what we have seen most of the time over the past 50 to 60 years. He has more than earned the chance to see where he goes from here.

Reactions: JC CATS
Well by golly you can pay em 6 million and you can have about anyone but a Saben. The first rule of thumb is NOT TO HIRE an almost 50 year old assistant coach who has NEVER BEEN A HEAD COACH. There is a good reason he was never hired to be a head coach before KY. Stoops is a defensive back coach. As evidenced by this years team, not even a good one. Its a fair question, when is it ok to ask for better results?
Never on these boards unless you can take the name-calling. Our defense overall is pitiful. Anybody with one eye and half sense can see it.

Never on these boards unless you can take the name-calling. Our defense overall is pitiful. Anybody with one eye and half sense can see it.
Did that fella just describe Kirby Smart? Kirby was a DC that had never been a head coach, but dang it he is doing all right

You leave Kirby Smart alone, he is doing ok

Those that support Stoops only have the following to fall back on..what about X coach at X school...look what they did or didn't do. Maybe we should bring Joker back or our record is the best it's been since X. They refuse to discuss how THIS team has improved THIS year.

Statistically, Jokers teams were better than all of Stoops teams in a more competitive league. I've been on the Stoops must go train up until the Vanderbilt game. I saw some things in that game that gave me hope. We win out against UofL and win our bowl game and I'll call this a decent season. Lose either and I'll be calling for his head again. I'm not in the club that thinks making it to a bowl 2 consecutive years is good eneouh. I expect him to win out and win the bowl game..

You need someone to let you know? In 2013, Stoops inherited a 2-10 team and a 40 year old stadium that had not undergone a major renovation since it was built. Since then, his records are 2-10, 5-7, 5-7, 7-6, 7-4. Our stadium has been completely renovated, and we have a new, modern practice/office complex. Our coaches bring in ranked recruiting classes every year. We have 4 straight wins over South Carolina, 3 straight over Missouri. Last November, we beat UL and their Heisman quarterback in their own stadium. We are about to play in our 2nd straight bowl. We are not yet where we want to be in every respect, but there has been tremendous progress toward our goals. If you think this is a "clown show", then find another way to spend your time. Or else, open your eyes to the steady improvement that you have missed.

I thought the expectation of winning the SEC East was a bit of a stretch in the offseason.

But, to not have a winning SEC record is very disappointing, especially since it hasn't happened in 40 years, and the schedule will never be as favorable as it was in 2017. I don't think that expectation was unrealistic at all, and I don't think expressing that disappointment is over the top at all. It should have happened without question this year.

Reactions: crestcat
ADVERTISEMENT