ADVERTISEMENT

Wheeler was a Difference Maker Tonight

It pains some on here to admit that a player they think is not a major contributor had a great game. They don't realize that it provides enjoyment to some of us on the board.

It’s shocking to see someone on this board actually acknowledge the Hagans meltdown. All I’ve ever read about him is that he led us to imaginary #9.

I think that team was poised to do well in the tournament with or without Hagans. Without Hagans, Maxey was a perfectly capable PG and Quickley was as well. With Hagans out, you had Juzang filling the minutes.

It pains some on here to admit that a player they think is not a major contributor had a great game. They don't realize that it provides enjoyment to some of us on the board.

They are all about being right and building internet cred! That's more than important than anything. 🤣

Reactions: shano
They are all about being right and building internet cred! That's more than important than anything. 🤣
All I know is Wheeler pushed the ball and got Reeves wide open threes in transition and we didn't have to rely on our bad offense to get us a shot. He was wide open in transition.

Hated?

I think what you intended to say is the UK fans on this board know how to see what's happening on the court and we all know how to read a stat sheet.

Saying Wheeler can't guard his position, is not hating the kid.

Saying Wheeler usually has a net negative stat line, is not hating him, it's a fact.

Saying Wheeler turns the ball over a lot, is not hating him, it's a fact.

Saying Wheeler's man sags off of him and clogs the lane, is not hating him, it's a fact.

Saying Wheeler is not a good shooter, is not hating him, it's a fact.

Saying Wheeler is not a UK quality pg, is not hating him, it's a fact.

Lets not skew what’s actually being said on here. The team is worlds better with Wallace at pg, that, again, is a fact.

We beat ole Miss last night, not the Lakers. Ole Miss was awful BEFORE they lost their 2 leading scorers, yet they scored pretty easily at times last night and they made it very difficult for us to score, because Wheeler can't shoot.

Nobody hates the kid, what you said is false.
No, there are many who apparently hate him. I should say, it seems they hate him, based on what they post. They may not actually hate him- I haven't interviewed them to ask their actual "feelings." But based on all I can actually SEE of what they think, they hate him. I have no doubt you don't hate him, and that's good, but people hate ON him all the time. And no, it's not just these "facts" you've listed here. It's "Wheeler sucks!" and "Wheeler's a loser!" and "He's the worst point guard we've ever had" and "He doesn't need to leave the bench." And it is constant, by the way. Now, part of that is just the passion of Kentucky fans. Part of it is probably the bourbon speaking. But don't act like the kid gets fair treatment here. He doesn't.

Hey @Rockfly78 , is this what you're talking about? Is this "hate"?

Wheeler played his role, 9 assists, is a heck of a stat line for sure, but there's so much more to the game that just assists and turnovers.

But let me know, I'm still trying to find this Wheeler hate you've been talking about.
there's no way you are this obtuse. I am not gonna do marathon arguing that you like to do over something you already know the answer to.

It’s funny, in a way, just watching the two sides going at each other.

Meanwhile, I’m stuck in the middle.

I think a lot of us are.

There are a handful of guys who want to see Wheeler off the team completely or at least at the end of the bench never to see the court again.

The rest of us who criticize the coach for playing Wheeler (not criticizing the player who is giving all that he has out there) too much get lumped in with that small little group.

No hate for Wheeler from me. I like having him coming off the bench. Nice weapon to have in a pinch.

Wallace is the better player. We are more efficient with Wallace at PG.

That’s not hate, it’s just how it is.

Some people need to learn what “hate” means and quit throwing it around at everyone who criticizes someone or sees things differently than you do.

It's just not a great team. Thank goodness for Reeves' shooting last night.
I must have misunderstood you. I thought you were saying our team wasn’t a great team. This is why I wrote that in the other thread, where you said, “I never said that.”

Reads like our team isn’t a great team but Reeves bailed us out.

You can understand my confusion.

I must have misunderstood you. I thought you were saying our team wasn’t a great team. This is why I wrote that in the other thread, where you said, “I never said that.”

Reads like our team isn’t a great team but Reeves bailed us out.

You can understand my confusion.

It reads just like I meant it. This isn't a great team but could do some damage if Frederick sits or starts making shots.

Your confusion is actually just smarminess. Have a great day. I'm above that stuff.

It reads just like I meant it. This isn't a great team but could do some damage if Frederick sits or starts making shots.

Your confusion is actually just smarminess. Have a great day. I'm above that stuff.
Later.

UK needs Wheeler to be good in some role. This group just ain’t good enough to get a nothing burger from a preseason all conference player. I thought he played well tonight. Some late forces on offense(normal) and some poor D partially attributable to his hobbling around. His pushing tempo style really helped get Antonio some open looks and into a great rhythm.

Sadly I felt Fredrick and Oscar really let us down tonight. For the computer rankings a beatdown would’ve been nice and that Ole Miss squad was unbelievably bad so it was doable. Think the Vandy game, which we saw tonight with how Bama treated them without Robbins.
Frederick has to be up for "Most Highly Heralded Transfer Who Has Been A Huge Disappointment" Award. Just doesn't have the talent to execute routinely in Cal's one on one pro style offense.

Frederick has to be up for "Most Highly Heralded Transfer Who Has Been A Huge Disappointment" Award. Just doesn't have the talent to execute routinely in Cal's one on one pro style offense.
Most of us probably knew he was going to struggle to shoot and score in Cal’s offense. The injuries haven’t helped either.

If he wasn’t playing well in other facets of the game, he would be totally worthless. Thank goodness he defends and usually makes good decisions with the ball.

No, there are many who apparently hate him. I should say, it seems they hate him, based on what they post. They may not actually hate him- I haven't interviewed them to ask their actual "feelings." But based on all I can actually SEE of what they think, they hate him. I have no doubt you don't hate him, and that's good, but people hate ON him all the time. And no, it's not just these "facts" you've listed here. It's "Wheeler sucks!" and "Wheeler's a loser!" and "He's the worst point guard we've ever had" and "He doesn't need to leave the bench." And it is constant, by the way. Now, part of that is just the passion of Kentucky fans. Part of it is probably the bourbon speaking. But don't act like the kid gets fair treatment here. He doesn't.
Hate is a pretty strong word. They might hate the time he gets and the things he does on the court, but I don't think they hate the kid personally.

there's no way you are this obtuse. I am not gonna do marathon arguing that you like to do over something you already know the answer to.
There doesn't need to be a marathon conversation about it. There's an easy way to avoid such an event.

Just admit you are wrong and I'll agree. There, no marathon. See, I'm a fair guy, a bit of a problem solver if you may.

Wheeler threw some layups off the backboard in hopes Oscar would rebound and put back in. You can see he's trying to help his team and takes alot of grief but last night he was a warrior.

It’s funny, in a way, just watching the two sides going at each other.

Meanwhile, I’m stuck in the middle.

I think a lot of us are.

There are a handful of guys who want to see Wheeler off the team completely or at least at the end of the bench never to see the court again.

The rest of us who criticize the coach for playing Wheeler (not criticizing the player who is giving all that he has out there) too much get lumped in with that small little group.

No hate for Wheeler from me. I like having him coming off the bench. Nice weapon to have in a pinch.

Wallace is the better player. We are more efficient with Wallace at PG.

That’s not hate, it’s just how it is.

Some people need to learn what “hate” means and quit throwing it around at everyone who criticizes someone or sees things differently than you do.
Guess I haven't seen anyone actually say they want SW off the team. That's just crazy to want that.
SW is a good dude from everything I can tell and he's a heck of a weapon off the bench.

Is it because they think he's the Quade Green personality that was creating a riff maybe?

Reactions: kywildcat41086

So you defend Cal, who makes 8.6 mill a year, but you dump on Wheeler?

Seems off to me.

Wheeler is a great passer and a good player as you don't lead a top 2 conference in passing 3 years in a row be anything less than a good player at worst . He can't defend due to size nor can he score much due to that and lack of shooting and thus SHOULD be a back up to Wallace BUT make no mistake without Wheeler being the 7th man ( as Reeves is the 6th as spark plug off the bench ) we go no where this season.

But I realize anyone who understands basketball gets this and the Wheeler hate has little to do with reality and more to do with toxic fans needing someone to hate to make there lives seem less crappy . Promise you same guys who bash him bashed Knox , Hagans , Briscoe , Poythress , Brooks , and so on and so forth . There is always one good player the toxic idiots focus on .

There doesn't need to be a marathon conversation about it. There's an easy way to avoid such an event.

Just admit you are wrong and I'll agree. There, no marathon. See, I'm a fair guy, a bit of a problem solver if you may.
you can't solve anything with your head in the sand. of course no ones hates him personally and I never said that. But as a player, he is the most hated and polarizing PG we have had in a very long time. You already know this. If you deny that then you are being intentionally obtuse. It takes a fair amount of common sense to have this discussion. Otherwise you're arguing semantics. I don't think you are dumb at all. But I think you would argue with a fence post just for the sake of it.

Reactions: jbne222
Wheeler did decent but he was not good…not bashing just stating what he does

1. 2-9 shooting is not good
2. 9 assists to 1 TO is great
3. On defense his man had 17 pts and was shooting over him pretty solidly
4. Ole miss is straight garbage to be blunt.

We had no option but to play wheeler and he did the best he could which is fine. But this game did nothing to state when Wallace is back ther wheeler needs to play any more then 10-12 minutes a game
Of course he was hurt as well, which you must have overlooked.

Did anyone notice that Wheeler changed shoes after his injury?
He was wearing some pink color then changed to all grey

you can't solve anything with your head in the sand. of course no ones hates him personally and I never said that. But as a player, he is the most hated and polarizing PG we have had in a very long time. You already know this. If you deny that then you are being intentionally obtuse. It takes a fair amount of common sense to have this discussion. Otherwise you're arguing semantics. I don't think you are dumb at all. But I think you would argue with a fence post just for the sake of it.
So wait, you were claiming that people "hate Wheeler", but now you're saying they hate him as a point guard. You see the difference, right?

They don't hate him, they just hate him playing pg for 30+ mpg. That's a big difference.

So tell me, what is the difference between me saying:

I would rather Cal not play Wheeler at pg over Wallace.

And

I hate Wheeler at the point guard spot, give me Wallace.

What is the difference between those two statements other than one is a little louder than the other?

The way you and @IL Wildcat explained it above, people in this fanbase literally hate Wheeler and want him off the team. I have not seen that.

I'm not being obtuse, I'm simply calling out what you guys said, now you're walking it back.

Answer the question though, are their fans that literally 'HATE' Wheeler, or do these fans just not want to see him as UK's primary pg?

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Of course he was hurt as well, which you must have overlooked.
Yes he did turn an ankle...and I (nor you) have an idea of what impact it had.

But Wheeler's statline of shooting, poor defense, etc.. .is about the same as it is in any game when he is not hurt.

Guess I haven't seen anyone actually say they want SW off the team. That's just crazy to want that.
SW is a good dude from everything I can tell and he's a heck of a weapon off the bench.

Is it because they think he's the Quade Green personality that was creating a riff maybe?
Don’t know about that, but it seems to me this team is not very “together”

Could be there are no rah, rah personalities on the team. The only excitement I see is sometimes from the bench players who don’t get much PT.

They seem so even-keeled/self-controlled.

Wheeler did his job last night. My only complaint about him is his tendency to dribble to probe the defense instead of moving the ball.

Reactions: kyjeff1
So wait, you were claiming that people "hate Wheeler", but now you're saying they hate him as a point guard. You see the difference, right?

They don't hate him, they just hate him playing pg for 30+ mpg. That's a big difference.

So tell me, what is the difference between me saying:

I would rather Cal not play Wheeler at pg over Wallace.

And

I hate Wheeler at the point guard spot, give me Wallace.

What is the difference between those two statements other than one is a little louder than the other?

The way you and @IL Wildcat explained it above, people in this fanbase literally hate Wheeler and want him off the team. I have not seen that.

I'm not being obtuse, I'm simply calling out what you guys said, now you're walking it back.

Answer the question though, are their fans that literally 'HATE' Wheeler, or do these fans just not want to see him as UK's primary pg?
You’re insufferable

Cal expressing his love for Wheeler on KSR now. Wants to win his way regardless of anything else. Here’s the truth, you can’t put anything into that win last night.
Yes you can. its another SEC win. Did it without wallace

9 assists vs 1 turnover. I am not sure we win tonight without him
He played well overall. His defensive liability especially with Oscar in the pick and roll needs to be fixed though. He also needs to finish on drives or at least hit the rim and not make stupid turnovers under 5 mintues left. That’s as much of Cal’s coaching as anything though.

Definitely needed Wheeler last night, He can win the small fights but not the big ones.

Also maybe Thiero should be a little more along by now just in case. Might need some PT

ADVERTISEMENT