ADVERTISEMENT

Wheeler was a Difference Maker Tonight

This is true… probably don’t win without Wheeler tonight, though I’m not sure that is saying much. Ole Miss is pretty bad, and Wheeler basically played because Wallace wasn’t available. But Wheeler played through an injury and did more good than harm tonight, so you have to give him that.

The problem is when we play actual quality teams, Wheeler far more often is a net negative influence on the team. Couple that with his tendency to make truly boneheaded mistakes when the game is on the line against quality opponents, and you have problems keeping him on the court routinely.

He is an enigma, and challenging to pick and choose the right situations when you can use him to impact the game in our favor. Fortunately tonight was one of those situations.

Haven't seen our fans so obsessed with a player since Saul Smith played. Wheeler isn't a great point guard but he isn't as bad as many make him out. He pushes the ball up the floor as good as anybody we have had in a while but for some reason Cal put the brakes on in several situations forcing him to play half court, something he doesn't excel at

UK needs Wheeler to be good in some role. This group just ain’t good enough to get a nothing burger from a preseason all conference player. I thought he played well tonight. Some late forces on offense(normal) and some poor D partially attributable to his hobbling around. His pushing tempo style really helped get Antonio some open looks and into a great rhythm.

Sadly I felt Fredrick and Oscar really let us down tonight. For the computer rankings a beatdown would’ve been nice and that Ole Miss squad was unbelievably bad so it was doable. Think the Vandy game, which we saw tonight with how Bama treated them without Robbins.

There are people (UK fans?) that insist we continue hating or bashing this kid for some reason.

Not buying. Sorry.

Nice game youngin!
Have you not read the board at all? He’s the most hated PG we’ve had here since tubbys kid and that includes the one kid who has a mental breakdown and left the team.

Calipari said that even though Wheeler’s ankle was “busted up and swelled,” the senior insisted on playing the second half. He finished with four points and nine assists in 33 minutes.

“Sahvir’s in the locker room and he says, ‘Coach, I’m going to go because you guys need me to win. I’m going.’ And I said, ‘Are you okay?’ And he said, ‘It hurts, but I’ll be fine. I’ll deal with it after the game.’

“That’s a kid that plays for our state, that plays for this university, that plays for this basketball program.

-------------

I don't really fault the messaging. Given the backstory to the season, this was a moment that Cal, being Cal, would absolutely try to create this kind of narrative.

I just hate I am at the point where I question if that was even said or the severity of the injury isn't anywhere near what he is saying. Many fans predicted at the half that not only would Wheeler return with a miraculous recovery but that Cal would play it up just like that in the post game.

In 2016 I would have bought it at face value and argued with anyone that said otherwise.

Now, I think 90% of what he (Cal) says is self serving and intended to manipulate the fan base. Clearly the last part of that statement was meant to guilt the fans into taking the heat off Wheeler.

I hate that his insistence on pushing Wheeler has the fans to the point where many people focus on a kid making mistakes the moment he enters the game. He doesn't deserve it but there were times when he was detrimental to the program and it was clearly being ignored by Cal.

Not all but most of this I lay at Cals feet, and bad losses drive the fanbase to look for reasons why. Its not fair to Wheeler, the other players on the team, the University and the fanbase.

Last edited:
Have you not read the board at all? He’s the most hated PG we’ve had here since tubbys kid and that includes the one kid who has a mental breakdown and left the team.
It’s shocking to see someone on this board actually acknowledge the Hagans meltdown. All I’ve ever read about him is that he led us to imaginary #9.

Wheeler did decent but he was not good…not bashing just stating what he does

1. 2-9 shooting is not good
2. 9 assists to 1 TO is great
3. On defense his man had 17 pts and was shooting over him pretty solidly
4. Ole miss is straight garbage to be blunt.

We had no option but to play wheeler and he did the best he could which is fine. But this game did nothing to state when Wallace is back ther wheeler needs to play any more then 10-12 minutes a game

Hated?

I think what you intended to say is the UK fans on this board know how to see what's happening on the court and we all know how to read a stat sheet.

Saying Wheeler can't guard his position, is not hating the kid.

Saying Wheeler usually has a net negative stat line, is not hating him, it's a fact.

Saying Wheeler turns the ball over a lot, is not hating him, it's a fact.

Saying Wheeler's man sags off of him and clogs the lane, is not hating him, it's a fact.

Saying Wheeler is not a good shooter, is not hating him, it's a fact.

Saying Wheeler is not a UK quality pg, is not hating him, it's a fact.

Lets not skew what’s actually being said on here. The team is worlds better with Wallace at pg, that, again, is a fact.

We beat ole Miss last night, not the Lakers. Ole Miss was awful BEFORE they lost their 2 leading scorers, yet they scored pretty easily at times last night and they made it very difficult for us to score, because Wheeler can't shoot.

Nobody hates the kid, what you said is false.

You’ve read the board and you don’t get the feeling that wheeler is not very well liked? You just think anyone who doesn’t like him is a troll?
Can you please explain this hate that you're talking about?

Who literally 'hates' Wheeler? Where did this come from?

Are you talking about the people that say he's a net negative player against good competition? Is that what you're talking about?

I've never seen anyone say they hated Wheeler.

Wheeler did decent but he was not good…not bashing just stating what he does

1. 2-9 shooting is not good
2. 9 assists to 1 TO is great
3. On defense his man had 17 pts and was shooting over him pretty solidly
4. Ole miss is straight garbage to be blunt.

We had no option but to play wheeler and he did the best he could which is fine. But this game did nothing to state when Wallace is back ther wheeler needs to play any more then 10-12 minutes a game
Hey @Rockfly78 , is this what you're talking about? Is this "hate"?

Wheeler played his role, 9 assists, is a heck of a stat line for sure, but there's so much more to the game that just assists and turnovers.

But let me know, I'm still trying to find this Wheeler hate you've been talking about.

Playing against two freshman backups...he should shine.
and still gave up more points than he accounted for
how many layups did he miss
missed both wide open jump shots
Ole Miss sagged off of him & Toppin to double & triple team Oscar, so basically UK was playing
3 on 5

How can a point guard that is quick & constantly drives not even shoot a free throw?

It’s shocking to see someone on this board actually acknowledge the Hagans meltdown. All I’ve ever read about him is that he led us to imaginary #9.
Harrow had the meltdown and left the team. Hagans was a knucklehead who had to sit out the Florida game for a punishment for something. Most think it was the picture he had on social media with all that money.

People dont hate him . False narrative . People hate the way Cal insist on using him leading to losses that shouldn't be losses .. big difference .. SW has given 100 % every time he hits the floor . He loves UK and the team . Hes simply very limited .

One turnover is misleading, because there is no statistical category for putting your teammate in an impossible situation on the floor once you deliver the ball to a teammate. He had 21 of those tonight.
Yeah I'm not quite sure the stat book person isnt Mrs Wheeler .. I'm not watching that crap again but it seems off .. and the announcers gave him credit for " getting the ball to Oscar " when the ball got knocked out his control and rolled to Oscar .. thats no assist

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
ADVERTISEMENT