ADVERTISEMENT

Whatxs your favorite UK memory with your dad?

Watching the 1978 championship game and then meeting the seniors on their summer tour

Reactions: uky8unc5
Definitely 96 father son camp. It was a blast with my favorite team and the last night we went to the cafeteria and ate pizza with the team while watching the title game on the big screen.

Seemed other wordly to me at the time.

One time my dad, before he died, got tickets from his boss and he took me to his favorite bar when i was 13 and got me drunk off some fine Kentucky bourbon before the UK-Miss St game. We also did some blow in the Rupp Arena bathroom. It was funny, i had coke caked all over my nose and the usher laughed because he thought i was eating a powdered doughnut. But it wasn't. It was pure uncut cocaine. My dad passed away a week later to meningitis staph infection to kidneys

Before Cable TV, listening to Cawood call the games while sitting at the dining room table with my dad as I kept the stats for the games.

I was born in 77 and I got my passion for the cats in the late 80's Rex was everything to me. Then the scandal happened and Pitino came. My father and I followed the cats like crazy and the unforgettables were everything to us and Pitino was the man. When Mashburn committed our fandom for him was off the charts. We went to the south east regionals in 94 and watched the Cats destroy Wake Forest and Florida St. the greatest games I've ever been to. When Mash was drafted we bought every ball card out there, we were certain he would be a legend. In the spring of 94 my father found a lump on his neck, through his surgeries , chemo and radiation....we spent time together collecting his cards and following him in the NBA and the Cats 95 team. Tragically my dads cancer took him quick and he passed within a year in February of 95. It was bitter sweet in 96 when we won the championship without him being there. The wildcats and Washburn gave me some of the best memories of my father at the end.

Senior year of HS back in December of 2001. Dad and I went to the UK/UNC game where Tayshaun Prince decided he was gonna hit a 3 pointer from every corner of Rupp Arena. Still never heard Rupp as loud as it was when he made the last one from basically half court. Awesome game to attend!

1996...day we played UMass in FF. 71 year old Dad ran to grocery to grab party snacks for the game. Was T-Boned by 18 wheeler. Airlifted to hospital. Multiple broken bones and one lung collapsed. Life and death in balance.

In ER (waiting for surgery) Dad whispered to Doc: "TV? TV? Kentucky playing UMass."

Me as a small child sitting on the arm of my dad chair. Him in his flannel shirt, smoking cigars, listening to caywood with the tv sounds down. He would teach me about the game. I would practice dunking on the door frame during commercials. I would usually pretend to be Bowie or walker.

My dad was a man of few words and loved the cats but he didn't get overly emotional about the games. He always seems to know
whether or not we were going to win. I was a little more excitable. Those were great times. I hate that my kid didn't get more time with him. She missed out. He was a good man and a great dad. Cancer sucks.

R.i.p. Pops

One time my dad, before he died, got tickets from his boss and he took me to his favorite bar when i was 13 and got me drunk off some fine Kentucky bourbon before the UK-Miss St game. We also did some blow in the Rupp Arena bathroom. It was funny, i had coke caked all over my nose and the usher laughed because he thought i was eating a powdered doughnut. But it wasn't. It was pure uncut cocaine. My dad passed away a week later to meningitis staph infection to kidneys

dude.....you sure you weren't on a Louisville recruiting trip?

I've got 3 that really stick with me.
1) beating number 1 LSU in football. My dad had to go to work at the start of the 4th and I convinced him to stay. To this day I still believe if he walked out we would've lost.
2) Memorial colluseum game where perry Stevenson dunked nastily over UNLV.
3) 6th grade my dad came and got me out of school(I had no idea what for). He told me it was for a doctor visit, he ended up driving me up to Indy to watch The cats play the first round game of the NCAA bc it was chuck Hayes senior year and he was my favorite player.

I had a really good dad and I sure do miss him. RIP. I'll never forget telling him how excited I was for Anthony Davis and mkg. Kills me he didn't get to see that team play.

"One time my dad, before he died, got tickets from his boss and he took me to his favorite bar when i was 13 and got me drunk off some fine Kentucky bourbon before the UK-Miss St game. We also did some blow in the Rupp Arena bathroom. It was funny, i had coke caked all over my nose and the usher laughed because he thought i was eating a powdered doughnut. But it wasn't. It was pure uncut cocaine. My dad passed away a week later to meningitis staph infection to kidneys."

So your Dad takes you to a bar @ 13 yrs old and get you drunk, then you do uncut cocaine in the bathroom at Rupp Arena? OK sure you did..

Reactions: Willy4UK and Hjack
"One time my dad, before he died, got tickets from his boss and he took me to his favorite bar when i was 13 and got me drunk off some fine Kentucky bourbon before the UK-Miss St game. We also did some blow in the Rupp Arena bathroom. It was funny, i had coke caked all over my nose and the usher laughed because he thought i was eating a powdered doughnut. But it wasn't. It was pure uncut cocaine. My dad passed away a week later to meningitis staph infection to kidneys."

So your Dad takes you to a bar @ 13 yrs old and get you drunk, then you do uncut cocaine in the bathroom at Rupp Arena? OK sure you did..
Willy don't lie.

When I was in high school, Kentucky was scheduled to play an early game, 2 o'clock I believe. My dad signed me out so I could come home and watch the game with him like we always did. The next day, I was in the office of the school and the receptionist, attendance clerk, and another staff member was in there laughing at me. They asked if I'm the boy who's dad signed him out the previous day to watch the game. Thinking this was the funny part, I said yes, we always watch it together. Then the clerk informed me that they were laughing because under reason for being signed out, my dad simply wrote "madness"

My dad passed away right after I graduated high school in 2008, I was only 17 and am tearing up writing this post. Happy Father's Day old man, I love you

There are so many.
As much fun as '96 season was, I have to say the '98 run was probably "our" most fun.

I have an awesome story about the championship game.. but steaks ain't gon take themselves off the grill.

[laughing]

Best thing I've ever read on this site...and it's not close.

Lower arena front row for Rick's return to Rupp. We were offered crazy money for the tickets but the memory of sending sending Pitino home with the first of many losses is worth a million.

February 15 1994

I had to work late, but I got home and my dad was just leaving. He was so mad. Said UK was down by 31 at halftime against LSU, so he was going to go play pool with his girlfriend.

I watched the most amazing comeback ever!! I couldn't WAIT to tell him about it when he got home. "Are you shittin me?" He broke up with his girlfriend that night. Lol. :joy::joy::joy:

It wasn't until a few years ago while I was in the ICU he called me and said he was finally watching the game. We talked (more so him than me) on the phone throughout the second half. My nurse said it was a miracle that after only 24 hours I was going to transition to a regular room and leave the ICU. I'm VERY grateful that I got to spend time with him today. Love you forever, Dad!!

I just lost Dad 3 months ago, but I remember listening to Cawood with him, on WHAS, sometime around 1959-60. Then we both worked UK games for 30 years. I saw him at every home game, and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. This is the first Father's Day without him, and it's tough.

My best friend, my dad, and myself went to the game in Arkansas when Jodie Meeks scored 48(I think thats what he got). We had a blast. After the game, we went bar hopping in Fayetteville. Possibly the best time we've ever had together.

When I was in high school, Kentucky was scheduled to play an early game, 2 o'clock I believe. My dad signed me out so I could come home and watch the game with him like we always did. The next day, I was in the office of the school and the receptionist, attendance clerk, and another staff member was in there laughing at me. They asked if I'm the boy who's dad signed him out the previous day to watch the game. Thinking this was the funny part, I said yes, we always watch it together. Then the clerk informed me that they were laughing because under reason for being signed out, my dad simply wrote "madness"

My dad passed away right after I graduated high school in 2008, I was only 17 and am tearing up writing this post. Happy Father's Day old man, I love you
Classic!!

"Got tickets from his boss". Gimme a break. THAT didn't happen. Bosses don't do that. Everything else I can vouch for.

98' Duke. I was in charge of recording it on vhs. I was only 9, when it got ugly I said in was stopping the recording. He said no, we still could come back. I went outside to play. Roughly thirty minutes later, he came out the back door and told me to get my @ss back inside because we was coming back on them. The rest is history. So glad I didn't stop the recording. Miss you dad.

Growing up some of the UK games were delayed and shown later at night after the news.

So my old man and I would listen to the games on the radio. Its what made me a UK fan.

Kentucky basketball was the only thing we had in common.

ADVERTISEMENT