ADVERTISEMENT

What's your favorite rock song over the last 25 years ?

Yeah, it was a sad day when Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Poison, Europe, Ratt, Skid Row, and all those other fantastic bands suddenly lost popularity.

Then the 90s were left with crap like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, Pavement, Pixies...

(What a terrible take)

Sorry, the rock of the last 25 years pales in comparison to that of the 25 years prior to that (the Golden Age of Rock). The Stones, Zeppelin, Clapton, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, The Who, Guns n Roses, AC/DC, Skynyrd, U2, The Clash, Allman Brothers, Boston, Tom Petty, Aerosmith, The Doors, Springsteen, ect. ect. ect. blow away acts of the last 25 years. Also all of Nirvana's albums, Pearl Jam's Ten and the Red Hot's breakout Mother's Milk were made over 25 years ago.

Last edited:
Sorry, the rock of the last 25 years pales in comparison to that of the 25 years prior to that (the Golden Age of Rock). The Stones, Zeppelin, Clapton, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, The Who, Guns n Roses, AC/DC, Skynyrd, U2, The Clash, Allman Brothers, Boston, Tom Petty, Aerosmith, The Doors, Springsteen, ect. ect. ect. blow away acts of the last 25 years. Also all of Nirvana's albums, Pearl Jam's Ten and the Red Hot's breakout Mother's Milk were also made over 25 years ago.
Your list includes a whole bunch of folks who can actually play guitar. That's what separates the eras IMHO.

I mean... Kurt Cobain vs Jimmy Page/Clapton/Duane Allman et al? Lol...

Yeah, it was a sad day when Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Poison, Europe, Ratt, Skid Row, and all those other fantastic bands suddenly lost popularity.
tumblr_njhg5pGLzu1tfbtrwo1_400.gif

Not sure how to post a video but,

Down With The Sickness-Disturbed
All These Things That I've Done-The Killers
The Diary of Jane-Breaking Benjamin

-meh...the worlds basements/guitar stores are filled with "virtuosity" and a bunch of chubby dudes that can play all the notes. Give me songwriting/energy over rehashed blues riffs anyday. Townshend wasn't a noodler(guitar wise at least) but his tone/style was epic...sex pistols could barely play their instruments but were interesting.

-dudes like Cuomo/Corgan/White can play all the zeppelinesque/blues stuff they want...but why would they.

-point being...those dudes (and many basement musicians)can play page/clapton etc. note for note...instead they chose to do their own thing instead of mimicking/playing derivative blues rock.

Reactions: BeaveUKGT
-point being...those dudes (and many basement musicians)can play page/clapton etc. note for note...instead they chose to do their own thing instead of mimicking/playing derivative blues rock.
Jack White can barely play with himself.

Reactions: DSmith21
Sorry, the rock of the last 25 years pales in comparison to that of the 25 years prior to that (the Golden Age of Rock). The Stones, Zeppelin, Clapton, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, The Who, Guns n Roses, AC/DC, Skynyrd, U2, The Clash, Allman Brothers, Boston, Tom Petty, Aerosmith, The Doors, Springsteen, ect. ect. ect. blow away acts of the last 25 years. Also all of Nirvana's albums, Pearl Jam's Ten and the Red Hot's breakout Mother's Milk were made over 25 years ago.

You just argued with a straw man. I hope you won.

I never said anything about the last 25 years compared to the previous 25 years. That's an arbitrary time frame you just made up for no reason, and it has nothing to do with my post.

So I'm not sure what you're "sorry" about.

Your list includes a whole bunch of folks who can actually play guitar. That's what separates the eras IMHO.

I mean... Kurt Cobain vs Jimmy Page/Clapton/Duane Allman et al? Lol...

1. Cherry picking at its finest. You just picked a decent guitarist from the early 90s to compete against three of the most highly regarded from the 60s/70s.

By that logic, I guess 60s/70s basketball was better than 90s basketball because Horace Grant wasn't as good as Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Oscar Robertson, or Bill Russell.

2. Also, by implication, you are saying that blues-based classic rock riffs are a necessity for a good rock band. Not everybody agrees with that.

-meh...the worlds basements/guitar stores are filled with "virtuosity" and a bunch of chubby dudes that can play all the notes. Give me songwriting/energy over rehashed blues riffs anyday. Townshend wasn't a noodler(guitar wise at least) but his tone/style was epic...sex pistols could barely play their instruments but were interesting.

-dudes like Cuomo/Corgan/White can play all the zeppelinesque/blues stuff they want...but why would they.

Yep. Youtube is filled with videos of teenagers (even teenage girls) who can nail a solo from Eddie Van Halen or Jimmy Page, and even add things of their own.

Reactions: awf and rudd1
You just argued with a straw man. I hope you won.

I never said anything about the last 25 years compared to the previous 25 years. That's an arbitrary time frame you just made up for no reason, and it has nothing to do with my post.

So I'm not sure what you're "sorry" about.

Look at the title of the thread. That is where the 25 years came from. The acts that you mention do not stand up to those that came from a decade or two earlier.

I would say Heaven by the Los Lonely Boys. I also like the Black Keys. But as a guy who grew up listening to 60s and 70s rock, I just don't see much to celebrate over the last 25 years. I'm glad there are some people who have been able to find a lot of newer rock they truly enjoy listening to, but that has not been the case for me. I was familiar with some bands in the this thread and some I was not familiar with. I went through many of the videos hoping to find something I thought was interesting, but none of it really resonated with me.

Reactions: DSmith21
Great thread op. Have heard many familiar and quite a few new tunes thank to airyon's links.

The new tunes all have had a more country sound than rock imo.

imo the best of this decade have been:

At The Drivein
Pokey Lafarge
and mainly anything Pop.

Yeah...all the MFn hits from Pink to the new girl who has 30+ #1s...Cardy B. Love 'em + all of the voice corder bands, priceless. Thinking of getting one for my 50yo a$$. Lol. Ton o Fun.

Anyway, here's some of my 80s punk majorly influenced by Paul Westerberg and the Placemats:

Check out Gyero for some of today's more somber tunes if interested, if not fo...T

Last edited:
Just wanted to thank The Paddock/Gyero folks for listening to the original music that I posted here last week. This shows the power of this bbn community, which we found a year or 2 after joining tcp in the late 90s.

Btween my initial Gyero link and this one....I got over 250+ listens, so that's what it is all about, so cool and proud and it really matters to me imo, thank you for taking the time to even just click on the link outta sheer bored curiousity. Don't care if you even listened. I took a chance & as tough as this wretched hive of scum & villiany crowd is or thinks you are, I really don't Gaf, esp. re: my spelling...I just wanted folks to hear my music. Which you did.

Bravo BBN...Tom

Reactions: 420grover
“Zombie” cover by The Badwolves...also digging the stuff put out by Nathaniel Ratliff and the Night Sweats...Kings of Leon...Asking Alexandria “Alone in a Room”...not rock, but The Steel Woods have incredible songs...throw in Jason Isbell, and “Ghost” by Badflower, and you’ve got a nice, eclectic evening of listening...finish it off with some Merle Haggard and Waylon Jennings, and if you’re not happy, I don’t understand you

ADVERTISEMENT