ADVERTISEMENT

What's your favorite rock song over the last 25 years ?

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
For those of you like me that thinks that rock & roll music over the last 25 years stinks. What's your favorite song during this time, if any?
The ONLY song during this time period that I like is

Reactions: Mashburned
That's actually a hard question since rock has been in steep decline for over a decade. 25 years ago was when one of the last really great rock bands (Guns n Roses) blew apart and stopped recording. Nothing as good has come along since then, IMO. I will say that Green Day ("Basket Case") and Foo Fighters ("Times Like These") are the best of the recent rock acts.

Last edited:
Not a metal head at all, but I cannot not keep from turning it up whenever I hear this song.

Drowning Pool - Let the Bodies Hit the Floor.

It's been slow for the last 25 years, but at least we've had

Rage Against the Machine
Queen's of the Stone Age
Rammstein
System of a Down
Foo Fighters
Green Day
White Stripes
RHCP

To hold the line somewhat

Reactions: Mashburned
25 years holds more excellence than you think...off the top of my head:

The Rising
When My Train Pulls In
Elevation
In the End

giphy.gif
7NquX5v.gif

With a few exceptions, this is pretty representative of how bad the last 25 years of rock have been...

Last edited:
-can't pick a favourite...but the rock is dead schtick is a lazy old man take. Im closer to 50 than 40..but I rock.

-1982 posted some *great* stuff.. and some really, really shitty stuff (korn,trapd,shinedown, mm) wtf, man.

Bands currently/recently rocking:

-qotsa.(best straight up rock band in the world right now) homme is a rock star.
-white stripes...and other jack white stuff.
-arcade fire.
-the strokes and related acts
-soad.
-avenged 7x
-metric...Canadiens with a hot lead singer.
-yeah yeah yeahs
-arctic monkeys
-wolfmother
-foo's...grohl is a rock star.
-the struts
-tool/puscifer

...and a ton more.

If you can’t feel good bands, you obviously don’t know where or how to look. Try some of these...

Royal Blood
The Temperance Movement
Federal Charm
The Black Keys
The Blackwater Fever
Rival Sons

Also...

The White Stripes
The Blue Stones
The Heavy
Gary Clark, Jr
Black Joe Lewis
Radio Moscow
The Record Company
Wolf Mother
Greta Van Fleet
The Revivalists
Little Barrie
The Mars Volta
Raconteurs
The Dead Weather
Cage the Elephant
Alabama Shakes
St. Paul and the Broken Bones
Sturgil Simpson (technically a country music singer but he puts out plenty of stuff I consider rock)

That covers several types of "Rock" which is a wide open genre in and of itself. And those are just bands that have formed since 2000 (White Stripes in 1999 I think).

Having said all that...

"Good music" is in the ear of the beholder...so to each his own. But broaden your horizons a bit, brother. I think you'll find that "It's My Life" will get knocked outta your top spot with a quickness...and eventually off your playlist altogether.

This thread is proof that rock died in 1990.

Yeah, it was a sad day when Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Poison, Europe, Ratt, Skid Row, and all those other fantastic bands suddenly lost popularity.

Then the 90s were left with crap like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, Pavement, Pixies...

(What a terrible take)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT