ADVERTISEMENT

What's your 5 greatest SPORTS MEMORIES of all time

Indy Cat

Senior
Apr 16, 2003
mine In no particular order:

The NY giants Willie Mays' with his back-to-the-infield catch in deep centerfield at the Polo grounds against the Cleveland Indians in the 1954 world series.

Vernon Hattons' 47 footer against the Temple Owls to tie the game at the buzzer in which the Cats went on to win in 3 OT's

The Green Bay touchdown for the win on the last play against the Dallas Cowboys in the famous " frozen tundra" game

Lou Tsioropoulos rebound and outlet pass to Cliff Hagan who passes to the streaking Frank Ramsey for the lay-up without the ball ever touching the floor

The shot that hit the edge of the backboard & went in by the Goose while scoring 41 in the Cats win over Duke in the 1978 championship game

Of course, the Cats 8 Nat'l Championships has it's own category

Don't know where to place Roger Maris' 61st home run to break the Babes' record of 60 at that time, (Many thought it would never be broken) but it ranks up there somewhere.

Reactions: _Rooster
UK vs. Seattle and Hall of Famer Elgin Baylor for the 1958 NCAA championship
Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 World Series NY vs Brooklyn
Rocky Marciano knocks out Joe Louis for the Heavy Weight championship .
UK vs Duke 1978 Championship
Secretariat wins the Derby

Mine are all recent since I'm younger

Seeing the Giants win 3 World Series in 5 years. Most incredible run I've seen by any of my teams.

Seeing the Warriors win an NBA championship after decades of being the joke of the league, and then seeing them be so dominant in the following years

Kentucky's entire run under Cal of course

Beating Louisville in football last year after their fans were talking about how they were gonna put up 70 on us

Not UK related but the Jenkins shot last year. Seeing UNC go down like that was proof that there is good in this world

UK vs. Seattle and Hall of Famer Elgin Baylor for the 1958 NCAA championship
Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 World Series NY vs Brooklyn
Rocky Marciano knocks out Joe Louis for the Heavy Weight championship .
UK vs Duke 1978 Championship
Secretariat wins the Derby

Larsens' no hitter certainly stands out and the Fiddlers are still my all-time fav Wildcat team

A couple more I will add:

The USA hockey teams' win over the Ruskies in the olympics

The Bears GREAT Gayle Sayers 6 rushing TDs against the 49s

Boogies' lay-up at the buzzer against Miss St.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat

The NY giants Willie Mays' with his back-to-the-infield catch in deep centerfield at the Polo grounds against the Cleveland Indians in the 1954 world series.

Vernon Hattons' 47 footer against the Temple Owls to tie the game at the buzzer in which the Cats went on to win in 3 OT's

The Green Bay touchdown for the win on the last play against the Dallas Cowboys in the famous " frozen tundra" game

Lou Tsioropoulos rebound and outlet pass to Cliff Hagan who passes to the streaking Frank Ramsey for the lay-up without the ball ever touching the floor

The shot that hit the edge of the backboard & went in by the Goose while scoring 41 in the Cats win over Duke in the 1978 championship game

Don't know where to place Roger Maris' 61st home run to break the Babes' record of 60 at that time, (Many thought it would never be broken) but it ranks up there somewhere.

Bill Mazeroski's walk off homer in the ninth inning of game 7. 1960 World Series

UK's Mardi Gras miracle at LSU

Villonova's win over Georgetown 1985

Amazing Met's 69 World Series

Any game that Duke, Louisville or North Carolina loses.

Sid Bream scoring from 2nd base and Barry Bonds inability to throw him out at the plate despite the fact he was slower than my grandmother at the time. That game followed the epic battle between Steve Avery and Doug Drabek in Pittsburgh. I was at that game.

-Cubs winning the World Series (all-tine best, hands down!)
-98 comeback against Duke
-that crazy USA men's swimming upset in the Olympics.

1996-98 UK basketball: nearly a 3peat
Big Red Machine of 1975-76
USA Hockey team '76 Olympics
1986 Masters: Jack wins #6
1991 US Open: Connors reaches semis at 39 years old.

Good ones already mentioned but for the sake of different moments in sports, I'll mention some different ones. More than 5, hard to narrow it down when all I do is watch sports.

* All UK National Championship Runs in my lifetime.

* UK finally beating Tennessee in football in 2011.

* 2014 NCAA Tournament run, imagine if they finished that off. Probably would have ranked #1 forever in my life unless the 38-1 team finished off. Memorable season in itself.

* Ken Griffey Jr. 500th, 600th HR.

* Derek Jeter 3,000th hit.

* Barry Bonds breaks Hank Aaron's HR record despite the controversy, was memorable sports moment.

* My favorite QB Brett Favre when he broke the all-time passing TD record in '07, now held by Peyton Manning.

* Dale Earnhardt Sr 1st & only Daytona 500 win after 20 years in '98, everyone lining up at pit road to congratulate him after he won. Terrible moment but unforgettable the fatal cash at Daytona in 2001. Still gets to me this day.

* American Pharoah Triple Crown

* How the Sports world united following the September 11th once play resumed. It was an outlet for many across the nation. Also watching the Mets/Phillies in May 2011 with the whole park chanting "USA" after Osama was killed.

* UK/UNC 09-10. UNC was an NIT team but highly ranked at that point of the season. I knew we were back under Cal from this game after years of mediocrity considering UK Basketball standards.

Last edited:
Not my Top 5. But, my 1st sports memory, was Tony Perez hitting a 15th inning home run to win the 1967 all star game

Kentucky beat in LSU in 2007

Kentucky beating UNC in he 2011 Elite 8

Kentucky winning the national championship, culmination of so many years of waiting

He St. Louis Cardinals winning the 2006 World Series. First clear memory of my team winning a title.

David Freese sending he World Series to game #7

The Music City Miracle, my first clear memory of one of my teams winning

Patrick Sparks shot against MSU

Going in LSU locker room after Maravich scored 64 points against UK AND LOST..Shaking Pete's hand and getting his wrist bands I still have them..[cheers]

Reactions: blubo
The 1990 Reds wire-to-wire championship season.

et97Ak

1. Bob Lily chasing Bob Griese back, back, back for a 24 yard loss and sack in Superbowl VI.
  2. First game in Rupp. Macy hit the game winner over Auburn
  3. Big Red Machine 75-76, 90 (Little Red Engine that could) listened to most of that season on the radio with Marty and Joe
  4. 78 National Championship (Still have the middle pages of the Cats Pause that showed the Cats as National Champions!)
  5. Brandon Knight's game winner over Ohio State. It was the last game that my three sons were with me to watch a game
5A. Watching a UK basketball game with my grandson, Finn (2 weeks old), at some time in the future, passing on the obsession to the new generation.

Any list that does NOT include UKs win in 2007 over LSU at Commonwealth is worthless. The excitement and electricity that night surpassed sports, period.

Reactions: NCukcat62
  • 2007 win over LSU at Cwealth
  • 1987 tip in to beat UL
  • 1998 smoking UL at the new Papa Johns stadium
  • 1998 Duke redemption
  • 1976 Reds

Cats win it in 1978, JBH gets the monkey off his back.
Cowboys win SB12.
Pirates, We Are Family, WS win in 1979.
Cowboys win SB27 ending a 15 year drought.
Cats win it in 1998, got to see that one personally.

Trying not to repeat some of the great memories already posted:

Lou Michaels’ post-game locker room comment to reporters after U.K. beat Tennessee 20-6 at Stoll Field in 1957: “Nothin’ sucks like a Big Orange.”

Chick Anderson’s call of Secretariat’s win in the Belmont:
“They're on the turn, and Secretariat is blazing along! The first three-quarters of a mile in 1:09 and four fifths. Secretariat is widening now! He’s moving like a tremendous machine! Secretariat by twelve, Secretariat by fourteen lengths on the turn!”

Dwight Anderson’s absolute take-over of the last 7-8 minutes of the game in U.K.’s 81-76 win over then-No. 2 ranked Notre Dame (Kelly Tripuka, Bill Laimbeer, Orlando Woolridge) in Freedom Hall on December 30, 1978. Indescribable. You just had to be there to understand.

Brandon Knight’s game winner right over the gallactically overrated Aaron Craft in 2011.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
1973 Belmont Stakes - Secretariat wins by 31 lengths.

Japan beats South Africa in 2015 Rugby World Cup. Most people agree that this was the greatest upset in the history of international rugby competition.

1984 "Hail Flutie" game. Boston College beats Miami Hurricanes 47-45 on Doug Fluties 60+ yard pass on the final play.

Also 1984 - Pete Rose returns to the Reds as player/manager. His first at bat he singles to center, ball get by the outfielder as Rose never stopped running. Winds up with the patented head first dive into third. Gave me goose bumps. Thinking about now still does.

And then there's this...

Being in the house when Kobe scored 81
Watching MJ make the final shot in Utah
Lakers beating Celtics in Game 7 of 2010 Finals
Buster Douglas knocking out Mike Tyson
Kirk Gibson'schome run in 1988 World Series

Any list that does NOT include UKs win in 2007 over LSU at Commonwealth is worthless. The excitement and electricity that night surpassed sports, period.
I was there. A surreal moment in my life sports wise. Me and my cousin had great seats. I remember telling him in the 2nd quarter, no way we come back. Low and behold we came back. And the tackle by Braxton Kelly sent everyone over the top

Nice list...are you 110 years old?

Reactions: 420grover
No order.

UK beating undefeated IU in '75 Regional Finals in Dayton.

UK winning the title in '2012 in New Orleans. I was there in person which was one of the funniest times of my life. I went to all six tourney games.

Being at the 2013 British Open and following Phil on Sunday.

UK beating number one and eventual Champs LSU '2007

Way too many to mention.

Reactions: crpoore
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT