ADVERTISEMENT

What's with the Mizzou & Kelly Bryant hype?

(1) Wyoming beat them in a road loss
(2) Zou threw for over 400 yards, but how do we judge that? I think Sindelar threw for over 400 yards in a loss to Nevada. Without more info about these defense, it’s hard to offer praise or expect that to be the norm.

So, all I really know is Mizzou was hyped and they lost on the road to Wyoming. I give them credit for starting their season on the road. That is all I got.

Time will tell.

I keep reading about how tough Missouri is going to be....but I just do not buy into the hype? I think they are overrated.

Here was their season last year....strong win at The Swamp against a ranked Florida, and then wins against UT Martin, Wyoming, Purdue, Memphis, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, and Arkansas. They beat 2 teams with winning records out of their 8 wins...compare that to us beating 6 teams total with winning records of our 10 wins. We held them w/o a first down the entire 2nd half on the way to beating them for the 4th straight year. Their season wasn't near as good as ours...they did their usual Odom way of beating up the lesser teams and (other than UF) not showing up for the big games.

And the biggest complaint...it's assumed they're going to be so much better losing their all-time great Drew Lock and replacing him w/ Kelly Bryant and they're going to improve? Drew Lock who was All-SEC back to back years and led the nation in TD's in 2017 and a 2nd round draft pick...was an all-time great SEC QB and really put them on another level. Beat up on weaker teams...but still was a great QB. Kelly Bryant got benched at Clemson with NFL receivers and linemen all around him, I don't see where he's a great QB?

Let's Compare these Numbers

QB A

Per game average as a starter: (18 Games)
16 for 25 passing (65%) 181 yards, 7.22 YPA
12 Rushing Yards, 3.59 YPC

Totals in 18 games:
15 Passing TD's to 9 INTs
13 Rushing TD's

QB B
Per game average as a starter: (13 Games)
14 for 21 passing (67%) 145 yards, 7.0 YPA
42 Rushing Yards, 4.1 YPC

Totals in 13 games:
11 Passing TD's to 8 INTs
4 Rushing TD's

Quarterback A is Kelly Bryant. With NFL and 5-star talent all around him on offense. The best O-Line and receivers that make everything for a QB so much better...and he was in their system a whole lot longer to get ready

Quarterback B is Terry Wilson. Put up similar numbers without having Clemson level talent around him on offense. First year in a new system.

Why is he getting hype for doing the same with more....yet Terry in his first year is the worst in the SEC and Bryant's going to walk in and be better with less talent?
Missouri is a better team than they showed playing at high altitude in Laramie on Saturday. But I don't believe Missouri will be as good as they were being hyped prior to the season.

I have similar thoughts about Kelly Bryant. He is a solid football player, but I don't think he will ever be as good of a QB as Drew Lock.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Missouri is a better team than they showed playing at high altitude in Laramie on Saturday. But I don't believe Missouri will be as good as they were being hyped prior to the season.

I have similar thoughts about Kelly Bryant. He is a solid football player, but I don't think he will ever be as good of a QB as Drew Lock.
His running ability is what scares me the most. He is very allusive. But, Missouri does not have the receivers nor the line he had at Clemson. And Bryant is no Lock...it's going to be a step back in the passing game.

Head to head UK won in a game that was a true 50/50 game, and no one who doesnt bleed blue thought the pass interference was a good call.

Bulls**t. Anyone who is impartial knows that was pass interference. The only argument against calling it was it was at the end of the game. If that play occurred in the 2nd quarter there would be no debate on the subject, even among Missouri fans. The only argument they had was that refs should call nothing at the end of the game which is non sense as well. The refs would be deciding the game if they let the defender get away with contact that he couldn't get away with earlier as well. If the DB grabs and holds before the ball gets there is interference. The Missouri DB certain made contact before the ball got there and hence the call. The fact there was no time left on the clock shouldn't matter.

Head to head UK won in a game that was a true 50/50 game, and no one who doesnt bleed blue thought the pass interference was a good call.

Bulls**t. Anyone who is impartial knows that was pass interference. The only argument against calling it was it was at the end of the game. If that play occurred in the 2nd quarter there would be no debate on the subject, even among Missouri fans. The only argument they had was that refs should call nothing at the end of the game which is non sense as well. The refs would be deciding the game if they let the defender get away with contact that he couldn't get away with earlier as well. If the DB grabs and holds before the ball gets there is interference. The Missouri DB certain made contact before the ball got there and hence the call. The fact there was no time left on the clock shouldn't matter.

So you're just basing off the Pass interference call and ALL the missed holding calls on Josh Allen?

Even if...

Missouri did not get a SINGLE FIRST DOWN in the second half. We held them to 3 and out every drive.

Don't let a game come down to one call or one play. Both teams were in a position to win the game with 0:00 on the clock. Missouri had plenty of chances to win and didn't ice the game. We capitalized on every chance we got...

IDK about the pass interference...but our defense earned every stop. Lynn made the play on the punt return. And Terry got out 2 minute offense down the field. We were in a position to win...the call went our way and we made the play. That's sports.

David Pollack made a bold prediction about the Tigers this past weekend. Mizzou greatly hurt his chances of his prediction coming true with its debacle in Wyoming.

His running ability is what scares me the most. He is very allusive. But, Missouri does not have the receivers nor the line he had at Clemson. And Bryant is no Lock...it's going to be a step back in the passing game.
I think Square and Oats can contain him.

If I recall correctly, he said they would be in the top 10 by a certain date. That was before the Wyoming game.
Lol if he said that then he really is bold. I do believe Missouri is a decent team but I just don’t see them finishing above 7-5. Hell the already lost to Wyoming.

Lol if he said that then he really is bold. I do believe Missouri is a decent team but I just don’t see them finishing above 7-5. Hell the already lost to Wyoming.

Everyone talks about dumb ADs. But how dumb do you have to be to schedule a game at 7800 ft and a day to adjust to the thin air when you are at 600 feet. That is some dumb scheduling.

Reactions: KYNC89
Everyone talks about dumb ADs. But how dumb do you have to be to schedule a game at 7800 ft and a day to adjust to the thin air when you are at 600 feet. That is some dumb scheduling.
For reference,

FCS Wofford (located in Spartanburg, South Carolina) went all the way up to Wyoming last year and only lost the game 14-17 over Wyoming. The altitude didn't cause issues for the Terriers. They went 2-3 at home against FCS teams last season.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
For reference,

FCS Wofford (located in Spartanburg, South Carolina) went all the way up to Wyoming last year and only lost the game 14-17 over Wyoming. The altitude didn't cause issues for the Terriers. They went 2-3 at home against FCS teams last season.

Do you know how Wofford prepared for the elevation? I don't either. If you think playing in Lexington during Nov. Will effect how UF preforms then how can you not think playing at nearly 8k feet elevation not when you are accustomed to 600 feet?

Do you know how Wofford prepared for the elevation? I don't either. If you think playing in Lexington during Nov. Will effect how UF preforms then how can you not think playing at nearly 8k feet elevation not when you are accustomed to 600 feet?
I'm just saying...if a FCS team can go up there and hang with them...I think an SEC team in Missouri should be able to play the same level of defense.

Missouri put up some points and couldn't play any defense. That's about par for the course. They did not have a good defense last season and it appears to be the same this season. Elevation is an excuse. I went back and see no evidence nor history of this great home field advantage by the mighty Wyoming Cowboys.

And to your point about not knowing how prepared they were...if a FCS program with far less talent and depths is more prepared in 1 week of prep than an SEC team with far more talent with an entire month of game prep? That's very telling.

Now can they get better? Sure. But Odom has to prove he can do something without Drew Lock...and his resume has been feasting and running up the score on mid-major and FCS teams to juice stats. Other than the win at the Swamp last season (which was impressive), nothing says that they are going to be that great. He's 0-6 combined against Kentucky and South Carolina...2 programs in a similar position. Does well against Vandy and Arkansas...and has taken advantage of a down Tennessee. (Which to be fair, Kentucky hasn't)

Last year looked to be his peak as far as talent and maybe this year as well...if he cannot do it in those year then when can he do it?

Reactions: WildcatofNati
Wyoming’s elevation has remained fairly static over the course of its football history. I sure hope Mizzou is not blaming their loss on elevation.

I don't know. Mizzou defense looks really good to me from where I am sitting, and their offense is balanced and explosive. Let's see what they can do versus UF and UGA.
I mean it honestly doesn't matter, I don't think their defense needs to be particularly great to finish 9-3 or 8-4. They really haven't had to play an explosive offense.

They play Georgia and Florida, which will be tough games. But Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Tennessee, & Arkansas honestly aren't games that will test their defense and that's how they finish.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I wondered about the Mizzou hype machine pre-season, until I glanced at their schedule. They had such an easy (perceived) front half that the talking heads loaded up on them.

No one anticipated road losses to Wyoming and Vandy.

No one is anticipating one to us.

Wyoming, by the way, is 5-2, with losses to San Diego State and Tulsa, with wins over the likes of Idaho, etc.

I wondered about the Mizzou hype machine pre-season, until I glanced at their schedule. They had such an easy (perceived) front half that the talking heads loaded up on them.

No one anticipated road losses to Wyoming and Vandy.

No one is anticipating one to us.

Wyoming, by the way, is 5-2, with losses to San Diego State and Tulsa, with wins over the likes of Idaho, etc.

Key is if we can score enough to beat them. We need 24 or more I figure. Can we do it? Idk.

Reactions: The-Hack
ADVERTISEMENT