ADVERTISEMENT

What's with the Mizzou & Kelly Bryant hype?

the fact you say Lock "may" have better arm talent than Bryant sums up your thoughts in this thread. you really can't even acknowledge that abundantly apparent fact to anyone who knows anything about football

I said he had better arm talent, not that he might have. Sorry if it was over your head, but if I had one game to win I would take Bryant over Lock, who is 18-1 as a starter. He has found ways to win games, Lock in spite of all his arm talent has come up with ways to lose games his entire career.

I don't think they are playoff contenders, but I don't think they are a cupcake like some seem to think.

I said he had better arm talent, not that he might have. Sorry if it was over your head, but if I had one game to win I would take Bryant over Lock, who is 18-1 as a starter. He has found ways to win games, Lock in spite of all his arm talent has come up with ways to lose games his entire career.

I don't think they are playoff contenders, but I don't think they are a cupcake like some seem to think.
Clemson had 3 wideouts drafted the last two seasons and 1 signed as an undrafted free agent. Started 18 games and threw for 16 touchdowns...he did not even average a TD per game.

Heck I'll give him 2017 to give him the year he didn't split time...
14 starts...1 game injured in that stretch. He Had 13 TD's to 8 INTs in those 4 games.

-He had the ACC Player of the year at running back
-He had the best blocker in the nation in UNANIMOUS All-American Mitch Hyatt
-3 All ACC Players

-3 1st team ACC offensive linemen (2 drafed after that season)
-2 All-ACC wideouts

And let's talk about the QB competition...where he only lost out to an all-time great QB

Vs. powerhouse Georgia Southern
Clemson followed the pattern of its previous two games by starting Kelly Bryant at quarterback but bringing in Trevor Lawrence for equal playing time. The Tigers three drives in the first quarter all failed to score, ending with an interception thrown by Bryant, a missed field goal, and a fumble by Adam Choice, respectively.

Vs. All-Mighty Georgia Tech
For what would prove to be the final time, Kelly Bryant started the game at quarterback. He played only two drives in the first half, both of which ended in punts, and after which Trevor Lawrence was brought in.

He was a game manager at best with the best talent around him in the country. He didn't lead them anywhere.

2015, played in the title game
2016, the year before he starts they win a title
2017, his year he starts they get blown out in the national semi-finals
2018, he no longer starts and they win the title

Seems like they go to the playoffs no matter who is under center...

Clemson had 3 wideouts drafted the last two seasons and 1 signed as an undrafted free agent. Started 18 games and threw for 16 touchdowns...he did not even average a TD per game.

Heck I'll give him 2017 to give him the year he didn't split time...
14 starts...1 game injured in that stretch. He Had 13 TD's to 8 INTs in those 4 games.

-He had the ACC Player of the year at running back
-He had the best blocker in the nation in UNANIMOUS All-American Mitch Hyatt
-3 All ACC Players

-3 1st team ACC offensive linemen (2 drafed after that season)
-2 All-ACC wideouts

And let's talk about the QB competition...where he only lost out to an all-time great QB

Vs. powerhouse Georgia Southern

Vs. All-Mighty Georgia Tech

He was a game manager at best with the best talent around him in the country. He didn't lead them anywhere.

2015, played in the title game
2016, the year before he starts they win a title
2017, his year he starts they get blown out in the national semi-finals
2018, he no longer starts and they win the title

Seems like they go to the playoffs no matter who is under center...

My response to that is only one stat is important, wins and losses. If you go by all that stuff you looked up why would anyone be high on Wilson? You can't spit out stats for one guy and say he sucks then say a guy who's stats were not as good is going to be much improved. So, if you thing Bryant sucks because of his stats, then you have to think Wilson does too. I don't think either do, I think both found ways to help their teams win games. While Bryant was probably surrounded by better overall talent, his team also performed at a higher level, winning a P5 conference and making the playoffs.

The officials thought it was pass interference. Did they bleed blue?

Yep. 99 out of 100 officials polled agreed it was PI, with the lone dissenter being the ref who didn't flag the Rams for PI against the Saints in the NFC title game. [laughing]

Seriously though, it was PI without question. You simply can't latch on to a WR and jostle him and not expect to get flagged for holding or PI. That's exactly what the Mizzuruh DB did, and really, it was about all he could do because Wagner was a huge mismatch for him and he knew it.

My response to that is only one stat is important, wins and losses. If you go by all that stuff you looked up why would anyone be high on Wilson? You can't spit out stats for one guy and say he sucks then say a guy who's stats were not as good is going to be much improved. So, if you thing Bryant sucks because of his stats, then you have to think Wilson does too. I don't think either do, I think both found ways to help their teams win games. While Bryant was probably surrounded by better overall talent, his team also performed at a higher level, winning a P5 conference and making the playoffs.
Wilson, by stats, was a very ineffective QB last seasons. Although, he was more of a threat with his legs than Bryant..but pretty much statistically even. But stats can’t tell every story on a football teams.

But let’s look at the difference between Terry and Bryant..Bryant had way more talent than Terry. Not even up for debate.Bryant’s year as starter, they had their worst result in the last four years. Record was still good against cupcakes...but you could tell 2017 Clemson was a step behind due to lack of production under center.

So let’s look at the FACTS we can all agree on for Mizzou.

1. Drew Lock was a top level QB that could move the ball down the field. Kelly Bryant is nowhere near Drew Lock, a second round draft picks.

2. Kelly Bryant will have less talent at Mizzou than he did at Clemson. He will be learning a new system...combined with having less talent to work with and less time to throw in the pocket.

3. They lost 6 starters from a number #51 total defense. Those losses mainly come from the defensive line and linebacker...which are important to stop SEC running attacks.

4. They lose their top wide out Hall and Crockett who put up 700+ yards rushing and didn’t play the last 2 games. They combined for about 1,600 yards from scrimmage.

So combine those elements. Here is what is likely..

-Their passing game will take a LARGE step back. Bryant is nowhere near Lock. Bryant may improve, but I can’t expect him to do way more on a team with less talent. Bryant is a better runner to go with Roundtree...so they’re going to be a lot more run heavy and similar to Kentucky last year where teams can stack the box. There’s no way you lose a record setting QB and your top wideout and not take a large step back.

-Their Defense will not be near as good...and they weren’t good last year. They were one of the worst at getting QB pressure...and now take out Beckner and most of that line...teams will be able to run and control clock on them all night. Oh...and with the offense being run heavy too...if the defense isn’t great then it will be harder to comeback in games with no real air threat.

-and I’ll give you the “he wins games” which was the talking point here about Stephen Johnson (although I can point to a few games SJ didn’t close late that kept us from 8-9 wins). But...he’s going to have to go out there and actually WIN SOME games with his talent.

-At Clemson the year he started...he had a defense that allowed 13.6 points a game. They only had to score 2 touchdowns a game to win...last year Missouri allowed 25.5 points a game. So he did game manage them to wins at Clemson...but not he has to do more because .84 passing touchdowns a game isn’t going to win with that defense.

Those things are factual. And I’m not comparing them to Kentucky saying Kentucky will just automatically be better. Because Kentucky too will take a step back next year...but I just don’t worry about that game as much.

But my point is that the national and SEC narrative is different for UK and Mizzou. Similar QBs. Both lost a lot of production. Both have very easy and manageable schedules. The only difference is that one had a QB that played at Clemson.

And if you think they can come close to beating UGA like you said...you must not feel like your Dawgs can win the national title. But, I don’t believe you feel that way. The Dawgs will run through the East and beat Missouri by 30 points or so.

My response to that is only one stat is important, wins and losses. If you go by all that stuff you looked up why would anyone be high on Wilson?

Well, if we accept your premise that only wins and losses count, Wilson led a team to more wins than they’d had in 41 years. Bryant’s team won about the same number as the year before he played.

Hey, statistically they ARE pretty equivalent, and I would argue the “won-loss” record is a wash, or slightly favors Wilson. But Mizzou is being elevated by Bryant’s potential and few mention Wilson’s potential.

Well, if we accept your premise that only wins and losses count, Wilson led a team to more wins than they’d had in 41 years. Bryant’s team won about the same number as the year before he played.

Hey, statistically they ARE pretty equivalent, and I would argue the “won-loss” record is a wash, or slightly favors Wilson. But Mizzou is being elevated by Bryant’s potential and few mention Wilson’s potential.

Hack my comments about Wilson were this, if Bryant sucked because he only put up a certain amount of stats, the any QB who puts up similar stats must suck. Then that would put Wilson and Fromm too into the QB that sucks category. And yes, I don't care how many yards a QB throws for, 1 or 1000, if it's a L who cares?

Wilson, by stats, was a very ineffective QB last seasons. Although, he was more of a threat with his legs than Bryant..but pretty much statistically even. But stats can’t tell every story on a football teams.

But let’s look at the difference between Terry and Bryant..Bryant had way more talent than Terry. Not even up for debate.Bryant’s year as starter, they had their worst result in the last four years. Record was still good against cupcakes...but you could tell 2017 Clemson was a step behind due to lack of production under center.

So let’s look at the FACTS we can all agree on for Mizzou.

1. Drew Lock was a top level QB that could move the ball down the field. Kelly Bryant is nowhere near Drew Lock, a second round draft picks.

2. Kelly Bryant will have less talent at Mizzou than he did at Clemson. He will be learning a new system...combined with having less talent to work with and less time to throw in the pocket.

3. They lost 6 starters from a number #51 total defense. Those losses mainly come from the defensive line and linebacker...which are important to stop SEC running attacks.

4. They lose their top wide out Hall and Crockett who put up 700+ yards rushing and didn’t play the last 2 games. They combined for about 1,600 yards from scrimmage.

So combine those elements. Here is what is likely..

-Their passing game will take a LARGE step back. Bryant is nowhere near Lock. Bryant may improve, but I can’t expect him to do way more on a team with less talent. Bryant is a better runner to go with Roundtree...so they’re going to be a lot more run heavy and similar to Kentucky last year where teams can stack the box. There’s no way you lose a record setting QB and your top wideout and not take a large step back.

-Their Defense will not be near as good...and they weren’t good last year. They were one of the worst at getting QB pressure...and now take out Beckner and most of that line...teams will be able to run and control clock on them all night. Oh...and with the offense being run heavy too...if the defense isn’t great then it will be harder to comeback in games with no real air threat.

-and I’ll give you the “he wins games” which was the talking point here about Stephen Johnson (although I can point to a few games SJ didn’t close late that kept us from 8-9 wins). But...he’s going to have to go out there and actually WIN SOME games with his talent.

-At Clemson the year he started...he had a defense that allowed 13.6 points a game. They only had to score 2 touchdowns a game to win...last year Missouri allowed 25.5 points a game. So he did game manage them to wins at Clemson...but not he has to do more because .84 passing touchdowns a game isn’t going to win with that defense.

Those things are factual. And I’m not comparing them to Kentucky saying Kentucky will just automatically be better. Because Kentucky too will take a step back next year...but I just don’t worry about that game as much.

But my point is that the national and SEC narrative is different for UK and Mizzou. Similar QBs. Both lost a lot of production. Both have very easy and manageable schedules. The only difference is that one had a QB that played at Clemson.

And if you think they can come close to beating UGA like you said...you must not feel like your Dawgs can win the national title. But, I don’t believe you feel that way. The Dawgs will run through the East and beat Missouri by 30 points or so.

You have a habit of stating your opinion as fact. Lock has a talented are, but there was serious questions about him being able to be an NFL QB. His entire career he has made a habit of disappearing in big games and finding ways to lose a big game. As far as moving the ball down the field, how well did he move the ball against UK? Against us he completed less than 50% of his passes, no TD and an Int, combined with a 23 QB rating, is that moving the ball down the field?

So what if they pass for less yards, a rushing TD counts the same.

How many of those points that Missouri gave up were because of Lock missing on 3rd down or throwing a pick. Yes the numbers are factual.

Why shouldn't I be concerned, Missouri played UGA tougher than anyone in the East last year, they were the only team to play us, in the East, within 2 scores. They have the top returning rusher, arguably the top receiving TE in the country, 3 starting OL. That is a lot of production, and as posted above Lock's passing didn't hurt us. I respect every team we play, I think any team on our schedule is capable of beating us. I don't think they all will, but I understand a player who is a proven winner and led a team to a P5 conference championship, an undefeated regular season, and the playoffs doesn't suck because he plays for a team I hope to beat.

Last edited:
Hack my comments about Wilson were this, if Bryant sucked because he only put up a certain amount of stats, the any QB who puts up similar stats must suck. Then that would put Wilson and Fromm too into the QB that sucks category.

I understood your comments and inverted the logic: if W-L record is the dominant criterion to judge a QB, Wilson should be very highly regarded!

It could be Locke and Wilson were asked to do different things. One was told to sling the ball like crazy and the other was told not to screw up too much.
Or maybe one was told to win more than the other was told don't lose.
If Locke had handed the ball off instead of throwing it against UK the clock would have run out and Conrad wouldn't be in UK greatest hits videos and Stoops wouldn't have gone through ceiling tiles.
I'm glad he threw.

I understood your comments and inverted the logic: if W-L record is the dominant criterion to judge a QB, Wilson should be very highly regarded!

He is by me, not that it matters, same as Bryant is. I don't think either sucks because their record as a starting QB shows they can find ways to win games.

He is by me, not that it matters, same as Bryant is. I don't think either sucks because their record as a starting QB shows they can find ways to win games.

I think the frustration you are seeing regarding evaluations of Bryant is that Mizzou seems to get a lot of credit/respect for bringing in Bryant, and the return of Wilson hardly draws a comment from national commentators.

I think the frustration you are seeing regarding evaluations of Bryant is that Mizzou seems to get a lot of credit/respect for bringing in Bryant, and the return of Wilson hardly draws a comment from national commentators.

Not frustrated at all, I just feel that it's off base to say someone with his accomplishments sucks is kind of silly. His accomplishments are leading a P5 team to an undefeated season, a conference championship and the college playoffs. Only 2 other QBs can make that claim, in ND were in a P5 conference they would make 3. Once again just because a guy plays for another team doesn't mean he sucks. Every team has good players and every team in the East is capable of beating every other team in the East, even Vandy who has 2 of the best skill players in the division with that RB and receiver. It's ok to give credit to a rival player.

Reactions: Levibooty
Not frustrated at all,

I wasn’t suggesting you were frustrated . . . rather that Kentucky fans are and should be. Our QB has similar stats, a strong winning record, and gets no mention. But Mizzou is supposed to challenge with the addition of Bryant??

I wasn’t suggesting you were frustrated . . . rather that Kentucky fans are and should be. Our QB has similar stats, a strong winning record, and gets no mention. But Mizzou is supposed to challenge with the addition of Bryant??

I can understand that and think you have a reason to be irritated. But on the flip side it isn't Bryant doing the hyping and is no reason to belittle his accomplishments.

Reactions: Levibooty
I think the so called experts are basing it on what they have returning and their schedule being more favorable than last years. UK, we did lose a lot. If we are being honest our defense and Benny won us 8 if not all 10 games. Yes we have talent coming back, but losing what we lost up front but most importantly in the secondary, will be hard to replace. I hope we have guys step up, but i have a fear that we are going to see visions of old UK defenses getting picked apart in the secondary and teams finding some success running the ball. I do not think the run defense will be as bad as before, but having to help out the secondary, we will not be able to put the needed number of defenders in the box because we have to use the safety on each side to help cover. Hope i am wrong, would love to be.

I think you are missing a major point, there are many teams that survive with a young secondary by having a great front seven like we have now. Now if our front seven do not produce we have a problem.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
If Locke had handed the ball off instead of throwing it against UK the clock would have run out and Conrad wouldn't be in UK greatest hits videos and Stoops wouldn't have gone through ceiling tiles.
I'm glad he threw.

It would be interesting to know if Locke had the choice. I thought at the time it was a poor coaching decision.

Did you not watch the kid who beat Bryant for the starting job play? Being honest who would he not beat out if the best player started? As a polished passer who could run through his progressions with what WA probably the quickest release in the NCAA, who would have kept him off the field? Bryant may be a complete bust, but losing his job to arguably the best QB in the last 20 year's isn't a reason why. Fromm and Wilson would both have lost their jobs to him.

Awfully strong praise for Clemson's QB.

And I'm not sure I can argue with you In Mizzou's spring game Bryant completed his first 8 passes, threw what should have been an interception, and then completed about half his last eight passes before calling it a day, can't remember if the last eight was three or five completions..

I can understand that and think you have a reason to be irritated. But on the flip side it isn't Bryant doing the hyping and is no reason to belittle his accomplishments.
Clemson’s team accomplishments*

(See Tim Tebow and Broncos elite defense, filed under popular brand name QB gets too much credit)

I’m not saying he sucks...he’s a good QB. There’s a lot of good QBs in the country. You have to be good to start power 5. Stephen Johnson was good and Patrick Towles were good QBs. But good QBs can do different record wise depending on the talent and coaching they have around them.

But again as you said above...Lock didn’t show up in big games, but you really don’t bring up the games Kelly Bryant led his team to victory...where he had to make big plays for his team to win? I just hate your reasoning that Lock on a worse team couldn’t win big games and Bryant won games on a great team that wins no matter who is at QB...

It’s not even up for debate that Lock is a better QB. He was 1st team All-SEC as a Junior and led the NCAA in TD passes, 2nd team All-SEC as a Senior, and 2nd round draft pick.

I admit I’m too lazy to look it up... I’m assuming Bryant’s a grad transfer? Meaning he only has this one season of eligibility remaining?

Mizzou has a very favorable schedule. OTOH, Odom hasn’t exactly been a lights-out recruiter, plus his player development hasn’t jumped out at me either.

I can see Mizzou winning 7-8 games and making a bowl, but I just don’t see them challenging for the SEC East. As long as we beat them, and I believe we can and will, I really don’t care how they do.

Not frustrated at all, I just feel that it's off base to say someone with his accomplishments sucks is kind of silly. His accomplishments are leading a P5 team to an undefeated season, a conference championship and the college playoffs. Only 2 other QBs can make that claim, in ND were in a P5 conference they would make 3. Once again just because a guy plays for another team doesn't mean he sucks. Every team has good players and every team in the East is capable of beating every other team in the East, even Vandy who has 2 of the best skill players in the division with that RB and receiver. It's ok to give credit to a rival player.
I would put it this way. College football teams change every year because the previous year's seniors are gone. But some tendencies stay similar as long as the same coaches are there. Losing Drew Lock has to hurt MO because Lock was an experienced senior QB who was a big part of their offense. But MO is in a better position than most other teams that lose experienced senior starting QBs, because MO has a running game and Kelly Bryant. Bryant and Lock have different skills, but there is no question MO is a better team with Bryant than they would have been without him. That's really all you can say until they actually play football.

You said it with "in games where Bryant led his team to victory". 13-1 is a great year, but in your opinion he sucks, got it. So in your opinion, every QB in the East sucks because none have passed for 4k and 40TD.

Drew Lock, who was such a huge loss, would you have swapped Wilson for him and his 4000k + passing yards last season? I wouldnt.

You said it with "in games where Bryant led his team to victory". 13-1 is a great year, but in your opinion he sucks, got it. So in your opinion, every QB in the East sucks because none have passed for 4k and 40TD.

Drew Lock, who was such a huge loss, would you have swapped Wilson for him and his 4000k + passing yards last season? I wouldnt.

I started by saying he got benched last season because he sucked..not as a player but his performance sucked. And yes, I watched every Clemson game when it didn’t conflict with Kentucky. He is a good QB...but there’s a lot of good QBs out there....I mean does Clemson still go 12-2 with Kyle Shurmur as their QB? I mean are you going to say it’s his fault that Vandy only played around .500 his 4 years...or is it he had less talent against a lacking schedule?

I said...when did he have to make plays to elevate his team that were the defending national champions? It isn’t fair to compare him to guys like Watson and Lawrence...but remember Kyle Parker and Tajh Boyd before those guys? That’s an offense that opens it up for QBs to put up big numbers?

I mean was he such a winner when his defense gave up 6 points to Auburn and they only scored 14? Or gave up 17 to Va Tech? 14 to Florida State? 3 to Miami?

Or was it when he threw the ball 36 times and only managed 120 yards and 2 interceptions in the playoffs against Alabama? I know not many can do much against Bama...but they’ve played 4 years in a row and the 1 game they couldn’t score any points was the game Bryant started.

I’m not saying he’s bad...and yes Mizzou is in better shape having him than some other guy...but idk why the words “Drew Lock was a way better Quarterback” can’t be typed by you. They are taking a step back on offense. They’ll be better rushing..I’m sure. But no way can you lose Drew Lock and be better on offense. Same as losing Andre Woodson was for us.

I started by saying he got benched last season because he sucked..not as a player but his performance sucked. And yes, I watched every Clemson game when it didn’t conflict with Kentucky. He is a good QB...but there’s a lot of good QBs out there....I mean does Clemson still go 12-2 with Kyle Shurmur as their QB? I mean are you going to say it’s his fault that Vandy only played around .500 his 4 years...or is it he had less talent against a lacking schedule?

I said...when did he have to make plays to elevate his team that were the defending national champions? It isn’t fair to compare him to guys like Watson and Lawrence...but remember Kyle Parker and Tajh Boyd before those guys? That’s an offense that opens it up for QBs to put up big numbers?

I mean was he such a winner when his defense gave up 6 points to Auburn and they only scored 14? Or gave up 17 to Va Tech? 14 to Florida State? 3 to Miami?

Or was it when he threw the ball 36 times and only managed 120 yards and 2 interceptions in the playoffs against Alabama? I know not many can do much against Bama...but they’ve played 4 years in a row and the 1 game they couldn’t score any points was the game Bryant started.

I’m not saying he’s bad...and yes Mizzou is in better shape having him than some other guy...but idk why the words “Drew Lock was a way better Quarterback” can’t be typed by you. They are taking a step back on offense. They’ll be better rushing..I’m sure. But no way can you lose Drew Lock and be better on offense. Same as losing Andre Woodson was for us.

Where did Vandy and Shumer come from? But regardless, you are right, Bryant sucks, Missouri will be lucky to get a first down this fall. Teams will be able to give their starters the game off and play their scout teams because he sucks so bad. That should cover it.

“Drew Lock was a way better Quarterback” can’t be typed by you. .

Because he consistently lost games he should have won, he disappeared in games against good teams. I believe I read Missouri had 0 first downs against UK last season, against us he was 23 of 48 for 220 yards 0TD an an int. Good QB step up, not disappear against good competition. He may be the next Tom Brady in the NFL, he just didn't do much at Missouri

Where did Vandy and Shumer come from? But regardless, you are right, Bryant sucks, Missouri will be lucky to get a first down this fall. Teams will be able to give their starters the game off and play their scout teams because he sucks so bad. That should cover it.
It’s the point that team record doesn’t determine the effectiveness of a QB.

Didn’t say they’ll be bad, they’ll be about the same as Kentucky. Lost a lot of production on both sides of the ball...but return some core pieces. Easy schedule. Probably not enough to hang with the big dogs.

Big test for them will be going against a Neal Brown WVU squad. Should be favored, but NB will have more weapons than ever at WVU and could make them a threat. And if Mizzou’s defense is bad again, we’ll see if Bryant can take pressure off Roundtree and put up some numbers.

But the SEC East Middle class will be tighter than a too small bathing suit on a too long ride home from the beach. Georgia at the top with a solid top 10-15 Florida behind.And then USCjr., Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mizzou will all fight out for middle class superiority. Vanderbilt will be at the bottom end on talent and expectations...

It’s put up or shut up for SEC offseason champion 3 years running South Carolina. Pruitt will have to show if he can deal with higher expectations with still a thin roster. Kentucky and Mizzou will need to see if they can respond after losing big number players. And Vandy...always a tough out under Mason. They always get rolling late in the year. Very physical.

Because he consistently lost games he should have won, he disappeared in games against good teams.

Grumpy, you’ve consistently defended quality recruiting, and for good reasoning. Good recruiting leads to wins.

Lock’s recruiting class was ranked 27th. After that, the next 4 classes averaged in the 40’s. The only team in the SEC East they consistently outrecruited was Vandy.

Yes, recruiting leads to wins, and I suspect that had Lock been surrounded by Clemson type talent, he would have won more games.

The quarterback position is very important, but can’t be measured in a vacuum w/o consideration of other positions.

Yes, Lock led Mizzou to no first downs against Kentucky: watch the game on YouTube . . . Josh Allen and the rest of our defenders played well. He had little time, repeatedly, to throw. He didn’t go to hide so much as he went to ground.

Grumpy, you’ve consistently defended quality recruiting, and for good reasoning. Good recruiting leads to wins.

Lock’s recruiting class was ranked 27th. After that, the next 4 classes averaged in the 40’s. The only team in the SEC East they consistently outrecruited was Vandy.

Yes, recruiting leads to wins, and I suspect that had Lock been surrounded by Clemson type talent, he would have won more games.

The quarterback position is very important, but can’t be measured in a vacuum w/o consideration of other positions.

Yes, Lock led Mizzou to no first downs against Kentucky: watch the game on YouTube . . . Josh Allen and the rest of our defenders played well. He had little time, repeatedly, to throw. He didn’t go to hide so much as he went to ground.

Regardless of that, their OL has been decent, he has had high end WR, a top returning rusher and it could be argued the top returning TE, yet Lock's passing, his only real skill at QB disappeared against Carolina, UK, and UGA. He did light up some weaker teams, but lots of QB did. I don't think he was a good leader, disappeared in big games, but he has a talented arm, he is just so dang inconsistent you can't depend on him. A lot like Towl, I think that is the spelling, Stoops first QB at UK. Tons of physical talent, great size, just couldn't put it all together.

I (mostly) agree with OP. I was never impressed with Bryant when he was at clemson. A serviceable QB, surrounded by a ton of talent.

With that said, UK has the easiest schedule in the SEC (yes, easier than ours) as they draw Ole Miss and Arky from the west. They may well be undefeated and in top 15 heading into Commonwealth.

Im as excited about the upcoming season as much as anybody but as a longtime Kentucky football fan I don’t take any team lightly. I don’t count any game as an automatic win. Especially an SEC team.

Im as excited about the upcoming season as much as anybody but as a longtime Kentucky football fan I don’t take any team lightly. I don’t count any game as an automatic win. Especially an SEC team.

Doesn't sound like that is going to be our problem, being overconfident is going to be the problem of most teams we face if they read the predictions.

Bryant threw for over 400 yards. Team had butterfingers....and defense was really bad.

They're gonna be a handful down the road.
Against a Wyoming team that didn't make a bowl last year...They rushed for barely over 100 yards.

Bryant threw the ball 48 times and had a 68 QBR. An interception and a fumble...team didn't have butterfingers it seems he did....

They are not a good team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT