ADVERTISEMENT

What's with the Mizzou & Kelly Bryant hype?

HoptownCat93

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2015
I keep reading about how tough Missouri is going to be....but I just do not buy into the hype? I think they are overrated.

Here was their season last year....strong win at The Swamp against a ranked Florida, and then wins against UT Martin, Wyoming, Purdue, Memphis, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, and Arkansas. They beat 2 teams with winning records out of their 8 wins...compare that to us beating 6 teams total with winning records of our 10 wins. We held them w/o a first down the entire 2nd half on the way to beating them for the 4th straight year. Their season wasn't near as good as ours...they did their usual Odom way of beating up the lesser teams and (other than UF) not showing up for the big games.

And the biggest complaint...it's assumed they're going to be so much better losing their all-time great Drew Lock and replacing him w/ Kelly Bryant and they're going to improve? Drew Lock who was All-SEC back to back years and led the nation in TD's in 2017 and a 2nd round draft pick...was an all-time great SEC QB and really put them on another level. Beat up on weaker teams...but still was a great QB. Kelly Bryant got benched at Clemson with NFL receivers and linemen all around him, I don't see where he's a great QB?

Let's Compare these Numbers

QB A

Per game average as a starter: (18 Games)
16 for 25 passing (65%) 181 yards, 7.22 YPA
12 Rushing Yards, 3.59 YPC

Totals in 18 games:
15 Passing TD's to 9 INTs
13 Rushing TD's

QB B
Per game average as a starter: (13 Games)
14 for 21 passing (67%) 145 yards, 7.0 YPA
42 Rushing Yards, 4.1 YPC

Totals in 13 games:
11 Passing TD's to 8 INTs
4 Rushing TD's

Quarterback A is Kelly Bryant. With NFL and 5-star talent all around him on offense. The best O-Line and receivers that make everything for a QB so much better...and he was in their system a whole lot longer to get ready

Quarterback B is Terry Wilson. Put up similar numbers without having Clemson level talent around him on offense. First year in a new system.

Why is he getting hype for doing the same with more....yet Terry in his first year is the worst in the SEC and Bryant's going to walk in and be better with less talent?

I think the so called experts are basing it on what they have returning and their schedule being more favorable than last years. UK, we did lose a lot. If we are being honest our defense and Benny won us 8 if not all 10 games. Yes we have talent coming back, but losing what we lost up front but most importantly in the secondary, will be hard to replace. I hope we have guys step up, but i have a fear that we are going to see visions of old UK defenses getting picked apart in the secondary and teams finding some success running the ball. I do not think the run defense will be as bad as before, but having to help out the secondary, we will not be able to put the needed number of defenders in the box because we have to use the safety on each side to help cover. Hope i am wrong, would love to be.

Reactions: shutzhund
I keep reading about how tough Missouri is going to be....but I just do not buy into the hype? I think they are overrated.

Here was their season last year....strong win at The Swamp against a ranked Florida, and then wins against UT Martin, Wyoming, Purdue, Memphis, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, and Arkansas. They beat 2 teams with winning records out of their 8 wins...compare that to us beating 6 teams total with winning records of our 10 wins. We held them w/o a first down the entire 2nd half on the way to beating them for the 4th straight year. Their season wasn't near as good as ours...they did their usual Odom way of beating up the lesser teams and (other than UF) not showing up for the big games.

And the biggest complaint...it's assumed they're going to be so much better losing their all-time great Drew Lock and replacing him w/ Kelly Bryant and they're going to improve? Drew Lock who was All-SEC back to back years and led the nation in TD's in 2017 and a 2nd round draft pick...was an all-time great SEC QB and really put them on another level. Beat up on weaker teams...but still was a great QB. Kelly Bryant got benched at Clemson with NFL receivers and linemen all around him, I don't see where he's a great QB?

Let's Compare these Numbers

QB A

Per game average as a starter: (18 Games)
16 for 25 passing (65%) 181 yards, 7.22 YPA
12 Rushing Yards, 3.59 YPC

Totals in 18 games:
15 Passing TD's to 9 INTs
13 Rushing TD's

QB B
Per game average as a starter: (13 Games)
14 for 21 passing (67%) 145 yards, 7.0 YPA
42 Rushing Yards, 4.1 YPC

Totals in 13 games:
11 Passing TD's to 8 INTs
4 Rushing TD's

Quarterback A is Kelly Bryant. With NFL and 5-star talent all around him on offense. The best O-Line and receivers that make everything for a QB so much better...and he was in their system a whole lot longer to get ready

Quarterback B is Terry Wilson. Put up similar numbers without having Clemson level talent around him on offense. First year in a new system.

Why is he getting hype for doing the same with more....yet Terry in his first year is the worst in the SEC and Bryant's going to walk in and be better with less talent?

They return 3 OL, arguably the best receiving TE in the country, the number 2 returning rusher from last season and a top WR. Bryant was surrounded by top talent, but he led Clemson to an undefeated regular season and the playoffs.

Defensively the return 5 starters. 2 in the secondary and 3 in the front 7.

I think they will be improved, regardless of talent around him, he has shown he knows how to win, Lock seemed to find ways to lose. I don't know how many wins they will come up with, but to think they have no shot at beating UK or UGA in 19 is a mistake. Took a blocked punt for a TD for us to put them away in 18 and a PI called as the cocked expired for UK to secure the win.

They return 3 OL, arguably the best receiving TE in the country, the number 2 returning rusher from last season and a top WR. Bryant was surrounded by top talent, but he led Clemson to an undefeated regular season and the playoffs.

Defensively the return 5 starters. 2 in the secondary and 3 in the front 7.
Well grump, I don't follow Mizzou but was typing up pretty much the same thing. Thanks for saving me the trouble. Rountree went for 1200+ yards last year. FWIW, per Steele they return 6 starting defenders and 7 on offense.

Peace

Last edited:
Reactions: ramcrazy
I’ll say that Mizzou should be a good tussle, but they lost their No. 1 receiver, a former 5 Star Nose, and others.

They might go undefeated if unproven talent comes through. But the problem with that prediction or expectation is that is true of us and everybody else!

Looking at common opponents, Mizzou played better against UGa, Tenn and Vandy than did Uk.

UK played a better game against USC than did Mizzou.

The Fla games were about the same, with a slight edge maybe to Mizzou.

Head to head UK won in a game that was a true 50/50 game, and no one who doesnt bleed blue thought the pass interference was a good call.

Its not heresy to think they were as good as Kentucky last year.

I’ll say that Mizzou should be a good tussle, but they lost their No. 1 receiver, a former 5 Star Nose, and others.

They might go undefeated if unproven talent comes through. But the problem with that prediction or expectation is that is true of us and everybody else!

That's true enough, but they are returning an awful lot of proven talent, they concern me as much as anyone in the East.

I agree with the OP. Think MO misses Lock a lot more than they expect. Plus, their D still has a bunch of holes, imo. While we have our own holes to fill (secondary), I think TW will be better, the OL will be stout, the front 7 on defense will be stout (DL better, LBs obviously not as good without JA). Bryant did not show enough to keep his starting job at CU (much like Hurts at Bama) and didn't really light it up at CU when they had >>> talent than almost every one of their opponents. I will be surprised if the offense is as good as with Lock unless they run Bryant a bunch.

I agree with the OP. Think MO misses Lock a lot more than they expect. Plus, their D still has a bunch of holes, imo. While we have our own holes to fill (secondary), I think TW will be better, the OL will be stout, the front 7 on defense will be stout (DL better, LBs obviously not as good without JA). Bryant did not show enough to keep his starting job at CU (much like Hurts at Bama) and didn't really light it up at CU when they had >>> talent than almost every one of their opponents. I will be surprised if the offense is as good as with Lock unless they run Bryant a bunch.

Did you not watch the kid who beat Bryant for the starting job play? Being honest who would he not beat out if the best player started? As a polished passer who could run through his progressions with what WA probably the quickest release in the NCAA, who would have kept him off the field? Bryant may be a complete bust, but losing his job to arguably the best QB in the last 20 year's isn't a reason why. Fromm and Wilson would both have lost their jobs to him.

Reactions: BigBadBlueDaddy

Hard to replace a good nose tackle, does more for defense than many realize.

Reactions: The-Hack
Two major media and advertising markets in STL and KC means Mizzou will always get blown early and often. Simple as that.

Missouri wil be a very good team. Will be a tough win for us. Believe we can get the win.

Missouri returns a great RB in Roundtree. Bryant's ability to run brings another dimension to their offense Lock didn't really have. I have little doubts about Bryant's passing ability but I don't think they'll be throwing the ball 50 times a game next season. I'm still not sold on their wide receivers yet as they struggled to stretch the field vertically without Hall in the lineup. Time will tell if anyone steps up now that Hall's gone.

They also lost the rock of their defensive line. I don't think they'll be as sound up front. Maybe I'm wrong but I also have little respect for their secondary.

IMO they'll be the same as they always are trying to be the last team to score to win.

How good will they be? Heck if I know. I hope we beat them and I hope they slash Florida again, mostly because it's the most absurd winning streak in the SEC... Even Vandy over Tennessee makes more sense

Did you not watch the kid who beat Bryant for the starting job play? Being honest who would he not beat out if the best player started? As a polished passer who could run through his progressions with what WA probably the quickest release in the NCAA, who would have kept him off the field? Bryant may be a complete bust, but losing his job to arguably the best QB in the last 20 year's isn't a reason why. Fromm and Wilson would both have lost their jobs to him.
He lost his job because he was awful. Yes Lawrence was better...but Bryant was benched because he was a non-factor for their offense and they needed to make a change ASAP.

And the fact is that he was a very average to mediocre QB. If he didn’t play at Clemson and put up the same numbers...no one would know nor care who he was as a QB.

Mizzou was entirely built on Lock’s ability to chuck the ball down the field...which in turn set up the run game’s ability to have more room to work and eat clock. Their air attack is now non-existent and teams can stack the box. And it’s not like they were built like us with Benny Snell eating up yards even without a good passing game..Roundtree will have to carry a way larger burden this season.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
He lost his job because he was awful. Yes Lawrence was better...but Bryant was benched because he was a non-factor for their offense and they needed to make a change ASAP.

And the fact is that he was a very average to mediocre QB. If he didn’t play at Clemson and put up the same numbers...no one would know nor care who he was as a QB.

Mizzou was entirely built on Lock’s ability to chuck the ball down the field...which in turn set up the run game’s ability to have more room to work and eat clock. Their air attack is now non-existent and teams can stack the box. And it’s not like they were built like us with Benny Snell eating up yards even without a good passing game..Roundtree will have to carry a way larger burden this season.

Ok man, the guy had just led his team to a conference championship, an undefeated regular season and into the playoffs. But got it he is awful. How many awful college QBs are 16-1 as starters in a P5 conference?

Reactions: Levibooty
Ok man, the guy had just led his team to a conference championship, an undefeated regular season and into the playoffs. But got it he is awful. How many awful college QBs are 16-1 as starters in a P5 conference?

"We held them w/o a first down the entire 2nd half"
This is one of the most impressive things I have ever seen in college football. Mizzou had a good offense. This wasn't some scrub offense that was shut down.

Mizzou is going to be solid, also, they are on probation, the can play loose much like we did in 2002, when we were 7-5.
still, we should win the game at home, by 10 points or so !

"We held them w/o a first down the entire 2nd half"
This is one of the most impressive things I have ever seen in college football. Mizzou had a good offense. This wasn't some scrub offense that was shut down.

They beat the crap out of UT to, but neither UK nor Missouri are the same teams they were last year. I am not saying they beat UK either. But to think they have a QB who was benched because he sucked is a mistake. He is a career 66% passer, 16 TD to 10 into, and the year he lost his job had a 143 QB rating. I just don't understand why it's so hard to accept other teams have good players too. Not being able to hold Trevor Lawerence off doesn't mean you suck.

Mizzou is going to be solid, also, they are on probation, the can play loose much like we did in 2002, when we were 7-5.
still, we should win the game at home, by 10 points or so !
They are appealing the NCAAs ruling. They might still have something to play for other than pride

They beat the crap out of UT to, but neither UK nor Missouri are the same teams they were last year. I am not saying they beat UK either. But to think they have a QB who was benched because he sucked is a mistake. He is a career 66% passer, 16 TD to 10 into, and the year he lost his job had a 143 QB rating. I just don't understand why it's so hard to accept other teams have good players too. Not being able to hold Trevor Lawerence off doesn't mean you suck.
This is spot on. I hate when fans can’t be objective.

Look, Mizzou is loaded at QB, RB, and they may have the best Tight End in CFB. Their defense will be able to get after the QB, as they will have a solid if not spectacular front.

I see them winning 8-9 games again. I just hope one of those wins isn’t against us.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
Looking at common opponents, Mizzou played better against UGa, Tenn and Vandy than did Uk.

Head to head UK won in a game that was a true 50/50 game, and no one who doesnt bleed blue thought the pass interference was a good call.

The officials thought it was pass interference. Did they bleed blue?

And Memphis didn't have their first round draft pick RB for that game. I agree with you. I think Missouri is getting a lot of love and not sure it is deserved. But Lawrence is legit- they are gonna be solid, But some of the hype is getting a bit out of hand.

Reactions: shutzhund
Well grump, I don't follow Mizzou but was typing up pretty much the same thing. Thanks for saving the me trouble. Rountree went for 1200+ yards last year. FWIW, per Steele they return 6 starting defenders and 7 on offense.

Peace
I actually thought you had typed it for him already :smiley:

True... but Terry Wilson also had a good shot at bringing Clemson in undefeated that year in the regular season as well with their schedule. Who were they going to lose to?

Reactions: Pike 96
Agree with this also Grump but if picking my poison with this years young secondary I take playing against Bryant all day vs. Lock this year.

Guys ya'll have got to stop getting worked up over people getting hype.

Bryant and Mizz offense have all the ingredients to warrant some attention.

-Talented QB. Older with some game experience. Probably would have been the starter at Clemson had the second coming of Tom Brady, Peyton, Elway, Luck, Marino, etc not been right there in the same QB room.
-Very solid OL
-Top end RB
-Top TE who could have gone pro
-Top end WR unit
-Solid coach and staff

People like to tout CMS as having improved every year, and he has. So has Odom who has gone 4,7, and 8 wins. So even if he stays flat this year on the trend, that's 8 wins. A marginal improvement would be 9 wins.

I don't think anyone is calling for them to seriously compete for the east. They're in the discussion for the rugby scrum for 2-5 behind UGA.

I know Lawrence is unbelievable and would start for every other team in the country (most likely some NFL teams, too). However, Bryant's production was subpar for the amount of talent surrounding him and the schedule Clemson played (FSU and Miami down, ACC not very deep typically). I don't think he 'sucked' by any means but I also think there are/were a lot of DI QBs who could've 'led' Clemson to an unbeaten record in the regular season that year. I mean, they had 4 DL starters who were all drafted into the NFL, several in the first 2-3 rounds. He just didn't distinguish himself, imo. No, he doesn't 'suck'. But, I do think he's a step back at QB for MO unless they completely revamp the offense to be more of a running team, which is a huge departure after 4 years of Lock. I think our front 7 will be better than their OL so a run-first gameplan favors UK, I believe. We'll see. They may turn out to be much better than I think. We may be much worse. No way we'll walk all over them but I sort of put MO into the USCjr category - I'll believe the hype when I see results on the field.

True... but Terry Wilson also had a good shot at bringing Clemson in undefeated that year in the regular season as well with their schedule. Who were they going to lose to?

Sure he could have., but there isn't a question Bryant could and did.

I know Lawrence is unbelievable and would start for every other team in the country (most likely some NFL teams, too). However, Bryant's production was subpar for the amount of talent surrounding him and the schedule Clemson played (FSU and Miami down, ACC not very deep typically). I don't think he 'sucked' by any means but I also think there are/were a lot of DI QBs who could've 'led' Clemson to an unbeaten record in the regular season that year. I mean, they had 4 DL starters who were all drafted into the NFL, several in the first 2-3 rounds. He just didn't distinguish himself, imo. No, he doesn't 'suck'. But, I do think he's a step back at QB for MO unless they completely revamp the offense to be more of a running team, which is a huge departure after 4 years of Lock. I think our front 7 will be better than their OL so a run-first gameplan favors UK, I believe. We'll see. They may turn out to be much better than I think. We may be much worse. No way we'll walk all over them but I sort of put MO into the USCjr category - I'll believe the hype when I see results on the field.

Arm talent wise he may be a step back from Lock. But the think about Lock is he was able to find ways to lose a game instead of winning one. Bryant on the other hand hasn't lost a game he started. No one is claiming they are world beaters, but thinking they are a w by just showing up will be a mistake, imo.

Missouri will be good, I don't know about a lot better. They will be a different offense with Bryant, Lock was one of the best passers around at Missouri. Missouri will always be a tough out but the days of them going to Florida and winning will be few and far between.

Missouri will be good, I don't know about a lot better. They will be a different offense with Bryant, Lock was one of the best passers around at Missouri. Missouri will always be a tough out but the days of them going to Florida and winning will be few and far between.

Based on what? Not saying it won't be the case, but Mullen has never won any kind of championship, has something like a 25% winning percentage against ranked teams. 5 East fan bases think they are going to beat UF this year.

I think they were a good team last year. I dont think they will be as good this year. losing two starting DT's that were both legit and 2 very good LB's arent going to help their D.

As far as them playing UGA, Vandy, and Tenn better than us...yep. But they played UGA with a hurt Swift and before the freshman NG was in the lineup. UGA was a much less daunting game without those two pieces. UK/UGA is a MUCH closer game without those two players.
Vandy was in a hurricane for us and it was an afterthought for us while a big game for them. UT we had a post lose UGA hangover
I would rather play Mizz with Bryant over Lock with our new corners and best pass rusher gone this year anyday and twice on Sunday

Reactions: Rembrandt90
Arm talent wise he may be a step back from Lock. But the think about Lock is he was able to find ways to lose a game instead of winning one. Bryant on the other hand hasn't lost a game he started. No one is claiming they are world beaters, but thinking they are a w by just showing up will be a mistake, imo.

the fact you say Lock "may" have better arm talent than Bryant sums up your thoughts in this thread. you really can't even acknowledge that abundantly apparent fact to anyone who knows anything about football

I think they were a good team last year. I dont think they will be as good this year. losing two starting DT's that were both legit and 2 very good LB's arent going to help their D.

As far as them playing UGA, Vandy, and Tenn better than us...yep. But they played UGA with a hurt Swift and before the freshman NG was in the lineup. UGA was a much less daunting game without those two pieces. UK/UGA is a MUCH closer game without those two players.
Vandy was in a hurricane for us and it was an afterthought for us while a big game for them. UT we had a post lose UGA hangover
I would rather play Mizz with Bryant over Lock with our new corners and best pass rusher gone this year anyday and twice on Sunday
Losing Beckner Jr. is huge. Their run defense was much worse when he wasn't on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT