ADVERTISEMENT

Whatever happened to the Dribble Drive?

SemperFiCat

All-American
Mar 2, 2009
Central Indy
When Cal came here that was his bread and butter. We all thought it was gonna continue to revolutionize the game, right? Why has that mostly been forgotten?

It was a gimmick to some extent. A way to establish his recruiting dominance of guards and OAD athletes. At Memphis Cal had issues landing stud big men, and when he did he had trouble getting them on campus for several reasons, like the NBA.

At Kentucky he's been able to get bigs as well as guards. Hard to sell a dribble drive offense when you've got Cousins and Patterson, or Jones and Davis, or WCS and Kat.

Personnel. He signs the best players that he can and then figures out the best way for them to play.
Bingo.

Cal jumped on that at Memphis, when he wasn't getting quality big guys. It's a guard-driven style (the original design as I understand it doesn't use a post player at all, really). Cal gets quality size now, so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to focus on it.

Reactions: sefleming
I think we use it all the time. Cal wants this team to take it to the rim. Notice this team doesn't shoot many 3's. It is still there IMO!!

Zone defense by opponents for one.
Done correctly DDM is one of the most vicious ways to destroy a zone.

Half of it is the personnel thing. The other half, as was also said, is DDM is all about making very very quick decisions based on complicated analysis, and doing it all like it's second nature. That's hard when you're a freshman, especially for the 1 and 2 guards who initiate it. And Cal focuses so hard on superstar 1 and 2 guards that those are almost always freshman for us. So while we do still use some DDM principles (depending again on personnel), we tend to apply them in a simplified form that can be mastered in only one season.

Incidentally I've always thought it was ironic: The popular belief that DDM is just all hype, is just all hype.

He still sort of goes dribble drive moreso.

That is why kids like Kevin Knox and Hami are forced to drive the ball vs. jack up 3pters ad nausea like they'd do at most schools.

He still sort of goes dribble drive moreso.

That is why kids like Kevin Knox and Hami are forced to drive the ball vs. jack up 3pters ad nausea like they'd do at most schools.
agree with you. They just need to learn to look for other open players. and I don't see a lot of off ball screens to get others open

Most men do dribble when they penetrate. Some dribble less some dribble more. I was always coached to dribble as little as possible after penetrating.

Reactions: ManitouDan
The guy that developed dribble drive, Wahlberg, coached at a junior college and Cal was part of an exchange program to share ideas. This junior college coach told Cal that usually his centers are football tight ends that didn't get a football scholarship and are usually 6'7" and 250 pounds and would get in the way of his two wing players who were god at taking defenders off the dribble. So his solution was to put the undersized center on weak side and maximize spacing for the two quick wing players. Thus dribble drive.

One mark of a DDA (dribble drive attack) system is the absence of picks anywhere as that reduces spacing for the wing players.

Well, in comes Demarcus Cousins, Pattrick Patterson, and other good post players and Cal had to modify the system to use these talented big men to run the offense.

Whenever I hear Cal mention Picks I know that he is not running a true DDA.

He's doing what all good coaches do...........adapting the style to fit the players on the current team.

Then why don't we press much or play zone much?

I think it takes time to implement things. With so many new guys it’s gonna be awhile we he fully sees the best way to play with this team. Having baker and Vanderbilt out isn’t helping the process.

So maybe we see more pressing and zone in the future

Or maybe Cal believes this team is still more effective in the man to man. Tbh we’ve played good defense this season. The offense has been more up and down than anything.

I think it takes time to implement things. With so many new guys it’s gonna be awhile we he fully sees the best way to play with this team. Having baker and Vanderbilt out isn’t helping the process.

So maybe we see more pressing and zone in the future

Or maybe Cal believes this team is still more effective in the man to man. Tbh we’ve played good defense this season. The offense has been more up and down than anything.

We have absolutely not played good defense yet, collectively anyway.

so you're telling me you didn't see any dribble drive last year with fox?
Y'all may need to google some Vance whalberg.

It was a gimmick to some extent. A way to establish his recruiting dominance of guards and OAD athletes. At Memphis Cal had issues landing stud big men, and when he did he had trouble getting them on campus for several reasons, like the NBA.

At Kentucky he's been able to get bigs as well as guards. Hard to sell a dribble drive offense when you've got Cousins and Patterson, or Jones and Davis, or WCS and Kat.

This!!

We have absolutely not played good defense yet, collectively anyway.

Considering we've held teams to 29.6% from 3 and 44.7% from 2, I'd say we are doing pretty well. We've given up a bunch of open shots but as a whole it's been ahead of the offense.

If you want to argue competition level fine but the only game we've played against top competition, we've held them to their worst shooting performance this season by far.

I love how people wanna dismiss that as just an off night by KU. As if we didn't have an effect on that.

Considering we've held teams to 29.6% from 3 and 44.7% from 2, I'd say we are doing pretty well. We've given up a bunch of open shots but as a whole it's been ahead of the offense.

If you want to argue competition level fine but the only game we've played against top competition, we've held them to their worst shooting performance this season by far.

I love how people wanna dismiss that as just an off night by KU. As if we didn't have an effect on that.

Kansas had plenty of looks, they didn't hit them. I actually said we'd play well with Kansas, I thought we could beat them. Kansas is overrated anyway.

I don't care about percentages right now. They don't mean anything. Far too many inferior opponents have had plenty of success getting good looks, we bite constantly, out of position lots of times, and our guards aren't anywhere near good defenders right now, especially at point. They aren't a terrible defensive unit and will be really good, but it's not there yet. Have we closed out on a three point shooter yet?

I mean if you want to close yourself off into a room with a couple of stat sheets and call it a day fine. But to say we've been a good defensive team at this point is false. We will be around late January to March.

Even inferior teams sometimes get open for good looks.
It happens.

This isn't anything different than most years recently with the exception of 2015 which was just ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT