ADVERTISEMENT

What was your favorite hair band?

Yeah I have a hard time with Whitesnake and Def Leppard on this list. Even though I put a Whitesnake song on here. Bon Jovi as well.

Some hair bands to me:
Poison
Faster Pussycat
Warrant
Slaughter
Skid Row.
Cinderella
Twisted Sister

I agree with most of this list. I have a hard time placing Skid Row. They had hair tendencies on the first album, while they got heavier for their second album.

I always lumped Guns N’ Roses, Skid Row and Tesla into a separate category. Cinderella was a damn good blues rock band, but their look screamed hair band.

Remember when Pantera tried so hard to be a hair band?

89486_-jK3QEDmeknUxRYS_44814.jpg

32bce64f513944aa6ae66be5bf1a07a6.jpg

Then in the 90s they figured out it made sense to pretend to be all hard:

Pantera-630x420.jpg

I agree with most of this list. I have a hard time placing Skid Row. They had hair tendencies on the first album, while they got heavier for their second album.

I always lumped Guns N’ Roses, Skid Row and Tesla into a separate category. Cinderella was a damn good blues rock band, but their look screamed hair band.

I know none of us are going to agree on what a hair band is but to me Cinderella was the best hair band. Most of the rest of them were just garbage.

I mean somebody listed Alice Cooper as a hair band. Seriously.

I know none of us are going to agree on what a hair band is but to me Cinderella was the best hair band. Most of the rest of them were just garbage.

I mean somebody listed Alice Cooper as a hair band. Seriously.

If you don't think "Poison" was hair metal, I don't know what to tell you:

Alice Cooper, 'Trash' (1989)
After surviving decades of decadence, shock-rock icon Alice Cooper sobered up, teamed up with a big-haired bassist named Kip Winger and staged a quiet comeback in the mid-Eighties on a couple of middling hard-rock albums that hovered below the Top 50. But he didn't have another platinum record until he teamed with glam-metal songwriting guru Desmond Child and a star-studded guest list (Jon Bon Jovi, Steven Tyler and Kip Winger, who'd earned his own hits by then) for 1989's Trash. The hit quasi-ballad "Poison" contained lyrics lascivious enough for Kiss fans but snarky enough for Alice fans; "House of Fire," which Joan Jett co-wrote, is a perfectly dude-ly relationship song; "Bed of Nails" features gang-vocals singing "ow-ow-ow"; and "Only My Heart Talkin'" is the sort of hair-metal crooner Nikki Sixx would write if he could be contrite. "I would get into my Corvette, turn on the radio and hear all these great songs by Bon Jovi and Aerosmith," Cooper told Raw in 1989. "When I found out how many Desmond had been responsible for, I knew he was the man to get." K.G.

Last edited:
Nailed it. x 10000.

Hair metal was an abomination. Just freaking dreadful.

There was nothing better than a hair metal concert in the mid to late 80's. The energy was off the charts. Pyrotechnics, Girls, and riffs that would melt your face off. For those of us that lived it, I would not have traded it for any musical genre.

Screw Grunge and its fascination with depression, flannels, and wretched lyrics. No one cared about your feelings.

Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll forever.

If you don't think "Poison" was hair metal, I don't know what to tell you:

Alice Cooper, 'Trash' (1989)
After surviving decades of decadence, shock-rock icon Alice Cooper sobered up, teamed up with a big-haired bassist named Kip Winger and staged a quiet comeback in the mid-Eighties on a couple of middling hard-rock albums that hovered below the Top 50. But he didn't have another platinum record until he teamed with glam-metal songwriting guru Desmond Child and a star-studded guest list (Jon Bon Jovi, Steven Tyler and Kip Winger, who'd earned his own hits by then) for 1989's Trash. The hit quasi-ballad "Poison" contained lyrics lascivious enough for Kiss fans but snarky enough for Alice fans; "House of Fire," which Joan Jett co-wrote, is a perfectly dude-ly relationship song; "Bed of Nails" features gang-vocals singing "ow-ow-ow"; and "Only My Heart Talkin'" is the sort of hair-metal crooner Nikki Sixx would write if he could be contrite. "I would get into my Corvette, turn on the radio and hear all these great songs by Bon Jovi and Aerosmith," Cooper told Raw in 1989. "When I found out how many Desmond had been responsible for, I knew he was the man to get." K.G.

Poison was absolutely a hair band.

You mean the song. Sorry.

You need to write on the board 1,000 times "I'm sorry for calling Ozzy hair metal."

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Lexie's Dad
In terms of live shows from that era. The two that stand out the most were Aerosmith and Extreme. They both brought the house down.

Too Fast for Love and Shout at the Devil weren't hair albums. Even Ozzy looked like a poof in the 80s.

Have to disagree about Shout at the Devil released at the end of 1983. This is when the hair band phase took off and the Crue was all in (on the look) Here is one of the hits from that album. Looks pretty glam to me. I do like their music.

I'm probably the biggest 80's rock/metal fan in here. I got my first guitar at age 13 in 1987. They might have looked like chicks but those guys could play the hell out of a guitar. My first real concert was RATT, Kix, and Britney Fox. I loved damn near all of it and still do love most of it.

At the time, my favorite band was Mötley Crüe. The one I listen the most now is Cinderella.

Favorite guitarist - Warren DeMartini
Favorite vocalist - Michael Sweet
Favorite bassist - Rudy Sarzo(hell, he was in damn near every band named in the thread at one point)
Favorite drummer - Tommy Lee

GNR are definitely not in the same category, they(original 5) are simply the best rock and roll band of all time not named The Beatles or The Rolling Stones.

GnR effectively ended the hair band/glam era. At least that is what Vince Neal claimed in one of the Crue's bios.
I thought it was accepted fact that Kurt Kobain ended the hair band era - and in an instant, when the Smells Like Teen Spirit video came out.

Probably not great music, but I was a teenager, so I didn't know it. There were some good songs (Runaway, Alone Again mentioned in this thread) - is that simply nostalgia? Likely. But what makes good music or a good song? It's all subjective anyway.

Yeh, that's why I liked Cinderella so much, they had such a huge blues influence and sound to their music.

Have to disagree about Shout at the Devil released at the end of 1983. This is when the hair band phase took off and the Crue was all in (on the look) Here is one of the hits from that album. Looks pretty glam to me. I do like their music.

Oh, I get it about the look.

IMO the music was too hard to be "hair" music. Like WASP - sure they looked it, but they were too heavy.

I think of the "radio metal" bands as hair bands - Autograph, Europe, Winger...

“Hair band” gets a little tough to define along the lines of “grunge” bands. We needed a term to lump everything together, but a few separated from the pack in both categories. I’d never think of GnR as a hair band or Pearl Jam as a grunge band. (At least not now on the latter. They grew beyond it.)

Anyone planning on going to the Stadium Tour?

I have tickets for Hard Rock Stadium in Miami. (come on vaccine!)

It probably wont be the only show I see on the tour.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT