ADVERTISEMENT

What was the worst Heisman robbery in your opinion?

KingOfBBN

All-American
Sep 14, 2013
A lot of guys have won that award despite others being more worthy.

Jason White over Larry Fitzgerald always bothered me. Woodson over Peyton never should have happened even though both of those guys were great.

Eddie George over Tommy Frazier

Jason White over Larry Fitzgerald always bothered me. Woodson over Peyton never should have happened even though both of those guys were great.

The very first thing I thought was Manning not winning it and Woodson getting it. I remember everybody talking about how it was a lock for Manning with nearly 4000 yards pass and almost 40 TDs. Randy Moss was the same year as well I think played for Marshall and had a huge year for them. The one person I thought that wouldn't be close to winning it was Woodson and somehow he won. He had a big game against Ohio St guess that is all he needed.

Last edited:
Adrian Peterson should have been a Heisman Trophy winner. Marshall Faulk too but Gino Torretta won. I think strong cases could have been made for Drew Brees & Andrew Luck too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lost In FL

Jason White but over Ben Rothletsberger

Reactions: KingOfBBN
Who beat Peterson? Leinart and Troy Smith?
It was Matt Leinart, '04 in Adrian's freshman year. That was his best season at OU. One of the more notable snubs all time was Herschel Walker who had a similar year to Peterson his freshman season in 1980 at Georgia. People believed being freshman played a role then with George Rogers taking the honors that season. He won in 1982 though.

Woodson was unreal.

Tebow should have won it the second time too.
I agree Woodson had a fair claim on that trophy. Peyton could have easily won it in 1996 over Weurful (spelling?) had they just beat Florida. Woodson had the best year ever for a defensive back and he was as good at that position in the NFL as Peyton was at QB in the NFL.

Lots of mediocre QB’s on overpowering teams filled with pro’s have won the trophy over the years. It seems like that’s basically every 3rd winner when you review the list. Leinart, White, Grossman, Weurful, Torretta, Troy Smith, Tommy Frazier, etc

I agree Woodson had a fair claim on that trophy. Peyton could have easily won it in 1996 over Weurful (spelling?) had they just beat Florida. Woodson had the best year ever for a defensive back and he was as good at that position in the NFL as Peyton was at QB in the NFL.

....and was one of the better return men that yr......and was a fair WR......and ran the ball as a RB......and threw a pass or two. The only thing he didn’t do was kick FG’s....probably cause he was too tired.

....and was one of the better return men that yr......and was a fair WR......and ran the ball as a RB......and threw a pass or two. The only thing he didn’t do was kick FG’s....probably cause he was too tired.
He didnt kick FGs because he was the long snapper IIRC. On rare occaision, he was both snapper and holder. Lightning quick.

Lots of mediocre QB’s on overpowering teams filled with pro’s have won the trophy over the years. It seems like that’s basically every 3rd winner when you review the list. Leinart, White, Grossman, Weurful, Torretta, Troy Smith, Tommy Frazier, etc

I don’t think Leinart belongs on the list of bad winners like Jason White. Just looked up to see who Grossman lost to: Eric Crouch. Lol. My goodness.

Some QBs from top teams were legit but the Jason White, Crouch, Troy Smith type stuff drives me crazy.

anyone who didn't win just because they were on a loosing team or there team didn't beat so and so.

Yes, QB on great teams have been way over represented. Plenty of great defensive players never got a sniff, e.g., Reggie White at UT, Cornelius Bennett at Bama.

Reactions: brianpoe
The very first thing I thought was Manning not winning it and Woodson getting it. I remember everybody talking about how it was a lock for Manning with nearly 4000 yards pass and almost 40 TDs. Randy Moss was the same year as well I think played for Marshall and had a huge year for them. The one person I thought that wouldn't be close to winning it was Woodson and somehow he won. He had a big game against Ohio St guess that is all he needed.
I thought Manning should have won it, but, back in those days most of the media and sports writers were graduates of Big10 schools which I think slanted the vote. It was funny the very next year there was a player from Ga. that had near the same or better stats than Woodson and he was basically left out of the Heisman conversation.

I thought Manning should have won it, but, back in those days most of the media and sports writers were graduates of Big10 schools which I think slanted the vote. It was funny the very next year there was a player from Ga. that had near the same or better stats than Woodson and he was basically left out of the Heisman conversation.

Ryan Leaf had better stats than Manning the year that Woodson won the Heisman.

While I don't agree, I can sort of understand the Manning argument ... up until the point where he got completely embarrassed against Nebraska in the Orange Bowl after all of the Tennessee crying. Tennessee had a quarterback that played big in big games on that roster -- and actually beat Florida. His name is Tee Martin.

Ryan Leaf had better stats than Manning the year that Woodson won the Heisman.

While I don't agree, I can sort of understand the Manning argument ... up until the point where he got completely embarrassed against Nebraska in the Orange Bowl after all of the Tennessee crying. Tennessee had a quarterback that played big in big games on that roster -- and actually beat Florida. His name is Tee Martin.
I don't disagree with your points I personally did not think Woodson should have been chosen over Leaf or Manning.

Reactions: JasonS.
The Miami defense won that Trophy for him. Garrison Hearst and Marshall Faulk were both more deserving that year.

Exactly...felt Marshall won it that year...ppl point towards Manning but man that was a incrediblely talented finalist group with Manning, Woodson and Moss....3 of the 4 are All Time College and Pro Football Greats

That's really the case now, Jackson last year was an exception, but the winners have come from overpowering teams for the most part. A guy on a 6-6 team has basically no chance of winning it

Whatever year Herschel Walker didn't win it when he played. Im a UK fan, but I loved watching that kid run the ball.

Ndamkon (spelling) Suh and Warren Sapp has great seasons but lost to Mark Ingram and Rahsaan Salaam respectively.

Suh was a real robbery. In ‘09 he had 85 tackle season as a DT. Then also 21 TFL and 12 sacks. You can’t convince me he wasn’t the best player in CFB that year.

Reactions: jauk11
Another interesting Heisman fact is Alabama which is arguably the most storied college football in history, has only had two Heisman winners and never got their first until Mark Ingram won it in 2009. That's a program with greats like Bart Star, Kenny Stabler & Joe Namath to name a few.

It wasn't a Heisman robbery, it was a Heisman thuggery, but my vote is for Heisman himself at Georgia Tech pounding a frat team from Cumberland Tenn in 1916 by a score of 222 to 0, just because Cumberland beat them 22-0 in baseball.

lol

Another interesting Heisman fact is Alabama which is arguably the most storied college football in history, has only had two Heisman winners and never got their first until Mark Ingram won it in 2009. That's a program with greats like Bart Star, Kenny Stabler & Joe Namath to name a few.

Stabler was a great pro but never had a sniff at the Heisman. He did not make the top ten finalist list either of his two years as a starter at Alabama. Some guy named Spurrier was the top QB in the SEC and won the Heisman in Stabler's Junior year. Gary Beban (QB UCLA) won the award the next year.

ADVERTISEMENT