ADVERTISEMENT

What State has been the kindest to UK?

bluinbville

Senior
Oct 3, 2008
I was washing dishes and began wondering, it is the offseason, what state has produced the best UK players not counting the state of Kentucky.
My first guess was Illinois:
  1. Dan Issel
  2. Anthony Davis
  3. Nazr Mohammed
  4. Antoine Walker
I did not consult Jon Scott's incredible resource. Just going from memory

I was washing dishes and began wondering, it is the offseason, what state has produced the best UK players not counting the state of Kentucky.
My first guess was Illinois:
  1. Dan Issel
  2. Anthony Davis
  3. Nazr Mohammed
  4. Antoine Walker
I did not consult Jon Scott's incredible resource. Just going from memory
Has to be Illinois. In addition to the ones mentioned don't forget Tom Parker, Jay Shidler, and Cliff Berger.

Reactions: chevyman 50
Issel top 5? AD is undoubtedly the most talented player and certainly had one of the most decorated seasons at Kentucky but I still believe Issel is the greatest Kentucky player of all time.
Issel would star on any Ky team. But AD (as a pro) is our GOAT. And I am a hardcore Issel fan.

Reactions: mhap8704
When you say greatest at UK that to me means how well they played while they were there. It's pretty difficult to say the all time leading scorer and rebounder is not the greatest to ever play there.
AD has become one of the top 5 players in the NBA but I don't know about the goat title.
Issel is in the top 10 scorers of all time in the ABA/ NBA combined so until he scores more points than Big Dan he is still the best pro player too IMO.
Not taking anything away from AD because he took to us to a title and he won a ton of individual awards but you still have to sustain great play for many years to be a legendary player.

Issel top 5? AD is undoubtedly the most talented player and certainly had one of the most decorated seasons at Kentucky but I still believe Issel is the greatest Kentucky player of all time.

Absolutely. There is no reasonable debate on this.

Historically, it's Indiana. Guys like Rupp, Hall and Sutton loved recruiting the Hoosier state and I believe Indiana's provided us more players than any other state (outside Ky) in our entire history.

But that has changed in the Cal era. Although Cal's had a few Indiana recruits (Marquis Teague, Trey Lyles, Julius Mayes, etc,), It's not nearly the same rate it was back in the old days. Nowadays I think it's Illinois, and ESPECIALLY the Chicago area, which has been an absolute gold mine for us the last couple decades of so.

Ulis born in Ohio

Actually born in Southfield Michigan although he grew up in Lima Ohio before moving to Illinois to attend high school.

Since he played four years of high school in Illinois, I don't see a problem with listing him as coming to UK from Illinois. Seems to be most accurate in his case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT