ADVERTISEMENT

What seems to be hampering Levis' development?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Really thought he'd take a pretty big step forward but haven't seen the improvement I expected. So, what's the problem? Is it...

1. Will hasn't learned to make reads pre-snap?
2. OL performance has been so bad that anything other than one or maybe two options is too optimistic?
3. Scheme is too complex and he's thinking way too much?
4. Discouraging his running to keep him healthy has stifled his development?
5. Still staring down primary too often and comes off him too late?
6. Too greedy - always wanting the big play rather than checkdown or easier pass for shorter yardage?
7. Game is still too fast for him to process and know where the best place to go with the ball should be?

Or other suggestions?

Reactions: Soupbean and UKat1
Line has been subpar and he’s gotten jumpy. Young WR’s have talent but this is the SEC. I assume other teams are tryings to shut down the tight ends, who had success early on. All the first round talk may have him pressing some. OC has been questionable with his vanilla play calling. WanDale is gone

I read once that Cohen’s main thing was pre snap movement. And mostly by players that weren’t going to get the ball. It was more to confuse the D. It worker pretty good.

Last edited:
The office of line play is terrible and the scheme does not play to his strengths. He is comfortable running the ball and helps him get in a groove. He has been taking more hits from sacks than he ever did delivering blows last year.

Said yesterday the QB whisperer is turning Levis from a NFL first rounder into an arena league backup. This bunch could eff up a wet dream.

Reactions: entropy13
Really thought he'd take a pretty big step forward but haven't seen the improvement I expected. So, what's the problem? Is it...

2. OL performance has been so bad that anything other than one or maybe two options is too optimistic?
6. Too greedy - always wanting the big play rather than checkdown or easier pass for shorter yardage?
7. Game is still too fast for him to process and know where the best place to go with the ball should be?

Or other suggestions?
A lot of 2. A lot of 6. Mixed w some 1

I think a lot of the Primary and secondary reads are longer developing routes when we aren’t running screens. The OLine is a coin flip if they hold up long enough to get to the second read. In those instances I think Will is greedy and hesitant to just throw it away or check down to a back/safety valve (if it’s there) bc he’s waiting and hoping to get to the primary and secondary reads downfield.

Reactions: gamecockcat
Whether we want to admit it or not, WL QB problems are not physical. Love the guy, but there is a reason he was a run only backup QB at Penn State.

Liam Cohen was the QB guru. Love Will, but he is what you see in every big game. He doesn't suddenly lose his physical ability to pass the ball.

Reactions: mattrudd
The office of line play is terrible and the scheme does not play to his strengths. He is comfortable running the ball and helps him get in a groove. He has been taking more hits from sacks than he ever did delivering blows last year.
This ⬆️

Reactions: law1127
Offensive coordinator
And, yet, when Van Hiles breaks down the tape, there are numerous occasions where the play is there and Will doesn't see it, makes a bad throw, takes a sack or waits too long and the opening collapses. For sure, OC and playcalling figures in the equation but I think it's way oversimplifying to lay all the blame on Scan. Against UT, both of the plays that were posted here were completely on Will, not the design or the call itself. Another couple of plays that I saw in real time had Will miss wide open receivers/backs in the flat for what should have been 10+ yard gains. It appears to me that 'all of the above' are variables in the equation and the weighting of each varies with seemingly every play. There are times when Will looks great and makes a great throw. And times when any and all of the above factor into a bad play, a missed read, a dangerous pass, a sure 10 yards forfeited for a suboptimal throw down the field, etc.

And, yet, when Van Hiles breaks down the tape, there are numerous occasions where the play is there and Will doesn't see it, makes a bad throw, takes a sack or waits too long and the opening collapses. For sure, OC and playcalling figures in the equation but I think it's way oversimplifying to lay all the blame on Scan. Against UT, both of the plays that were posted here were completely on Will, not the design or the call itself. Another couple of plays that I saw in real time had Will miss wide open receivers/backs in the flat for what should have been 10+ yard gains. It appears to me that 'all of the above' are variables in the equation and the weighting of each varies with seemingly every play. There are times when Will looks great and makes a great throw. And times when any and all of the above factor into a bad play, a missed read, a dangerous pass, a sure 10 yards forfeited for a suboptimal throw down the field, etc.

It was this way last year too just less noticable since the plan was throw to wandale or take off.

Will made great strides he's just inconsistent. He played his best game vs MSU and his worst vs UT. At times he moves in the pocket to buy time, other times he doesn't even step up and let's the de just stay on target.

One thing that is a major improvement is his accuracy and ability to throw with touch. Last year he was erratic and threw only missiles. This year when he sees what he wants, noone in the country (and few in the NFL) can deliver the ball like he can.

#1 is his biggest problem, then #5.I thought Scang was supposed to be a QB guru??? He’s been with Will long enough to correct this but he looks like he has actually regressed. I realize the O Line has been sub par, but not as bad as it looks because of Will’s inability to read the defense. That’s why you also get #6 far too often.

Then you throw in #4 and you get a QB that is used to being successful because when all else fails, he could always make a play with his running ability.

I would say you hit on ALL of the reasons why he is still struggling. But his biggest hurdle has been trusting the new OC’s failed system!!!

Or other suggestions?
Not downplaying any of those but , 3 offensive coordinators in 3 years certainly hasn’t helped matters .

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Not downplaying any of those but , 3 offensive coordinators in 3 years certainly hasn’t helped matters .
But, Levis has only been here 2 years and, supposedly, one of the reasons that Scan was hired was his scheme wasn't that different from Coen's. Plus, his resume as a QB guru. Same goes for OL play - the scheme has been similar the past two years so can't really believe the turnover in coaches has been that much of a factor. But, you're right, it should be in the mix.

Reactions: catben
But, Levis has only been here 2 years and, supposedly, one of the reasons that Scan was hired was his scheme wasn't that different from Coen's. Plus, his resume as a QB guru. Same goes for OL play - the scheme has been similar the past two years so can't really believe the turnover in coaches has been that much of a factor. But, you're right, it should be in the mix.
I agree . We were led to believe it would be a smooth transition. Just saying maybe it’s a factor .

Or other suggestions?
Good questions. IMO its 1,4,5. Still struggles with his cone of vision and hasnt learned to float in the pocket (up, back, sideways) to keep distance from pocket and his legs. Also think his clock in his head needs to be fixed to feel the time bomb ticking and know when to obandon standard pocket stance and just get himself clear to make plays ala Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson.

Most big plays come from improvising outside the pocket not in it. But I still love the guys game and upside and think he will learn to do those things in time. OC has to help him get in better situations and cant keep putting him in third and tee off situations from the defense.

Reactions: catben

Or other suggestions?
His football IQ is low.

WL still had 3 different OC the past 3 years. One of them was at Penn State. Two at UK.

At times WL appears to overthink a play instead of just recognizing what he has open right in front of him and get rid if the ball.

I think Steve Zahn has kidnapped the real scang and has been impersonating him during games.

Or other suggestions?
I can promise you the scheme is not to complex

1) OL stinks
2) Scang stinks at play calling and can’t scheme around the OL

I have been surprised that bad decisions has not been pointed out more with Levis. An example is the deep pass down the sideline on third down to a receiver that was covered. On that play we had a TE going across the middle wide open and he apparently did not even see him. If he did and went for the riskier throw that is even worse. Still surprised how he continues to hang on to the ball taking sacks. His arm and leadership abilities are top notch but decision making is woeful.

Reactions: Rembrandt90

Or other suggestions?
Getting sacked more than any other SEC QB has definitely hurt Levis. He is always injured because he takes too many hits. An injured foot is a big problem for a QB. But Levis also appears to have trouble with his reads, and he tends to lock onto his primary receiver. He has started 22 college games including one at PA St IIRC That isn't a lot for a college QB considered a veteran and an NFL prospect. He needs more development, and he needs a run of better health.

Some guys can take licks and keep going or are just not injury prone. When watching GA and TN I saw their QB's run numerous times not worrying so much about getting hurt. Makes me wonder all those sacks WL has taken if he had just took off how much that would have helped our offense? The GA and TN QB's seem to almost always make the right decisions and if that means run they run. To me that is doing everything in your power to win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT