ADVERTISEMENT

...What Saban said...

The five stars didn't showboat and play thug ball like the two and three stars do we saw in the Gator Bowl. Good game to watch, can't say that for the Thug Bowl. Stoop needs to clean it up. This board blows up when they see UL or others teams playing like that.

Last edited:
Next up, Spring practice with Coach Coen!
The five stars didn't show boat and play thug ball like the two and three stars do we saw in the Gator Bowl. Good game to watch, can't say that for the Thug Bowl. Stoop needs to clean it up. This board blows up when they see UL or others teams playing like that.

This on the Biggest Things that bothers me about Stoops, No Team Discipline. If it was just been early in his career while he still learning about Head coaching maybe but it been 8 years of it.

Let’s get real. The truth behind Saban’s quote is that you can no longer expect to play at a championship level by simply dominating good offensive teams with your defense. You can’t plan to win by scoring two or three touchdowns. You have to score. But Alabama wouldn’t be national champions without a really good defense.

The five stars didn't showboat and play thug ball like the two and three stars do we saw in the Gator Bowl. Good game to watch, can't say that for the Thug Bowl. Stoop needs to clean it up. This board blows up when they see UL or others teams playing like that.
YesZ. We should change our strategy to recruit 5 stars.

don’t know why Stoops can’t figure this out.

and shoving after the play (both sides were doing by the way...only one was called) is thuggery, let me introduce you to UT.

please tell me this was sarcasm...

• Haha
Reactions: Ky grandpa
Enjoyed a moment during the Coaches Film Room last night when Hugh Freeze pointed out Alabama had offensive linemen going further than three yards downfield on a Alabama RPO play. "Nick use to yell and complain all the time about us doing that at Ole Miss and now he's doing it."

Oddly Stoops and his team doesn't fit the mold that many are trying so hard to label he and his team. 55 yards average in penalties,per game, were one of the lowest in the SEC, actually 12th, I think. After the Miss St debacle the officials were put on high alert, as mention during the broadcast. A couple of the calls were iffy at best. I don't like dirty play or showboating either but Stoops is not a rouge Coach like some want to portray him.

And where does his high powered offense start? With najee harris. Every time.

It was recruiting talk. Nothing more.

So people can continue to cite that quote as some sign you have to throw the ball non stop. But they'll still be wrong

I'll bet they threw more than they ran ?? (don't have the numbers but guessing almost 60 : 40)

Even threw multiple times inside the 10 versus trying to pound it ALL THE TIME.

Had The Ohio St's heads spinning, guessing about what they were going to do next.... ALL game, not just on one or two series.

I'll bet they threw more than they ran ?? (don't have the numbers but guessing almost 60 : 40)

Even threw multiple times inside the 10 versus trying to pound it ALL THE TIME.

Had The Ohio St's heads spinning, guessing about what they were going to do next.... ALL game, not just on one or two series.

I'm not sure what the final split was. Look at the first quarter - najee time and again. That was always their mo. Osu switched to a 4-4 to stop the run. Only then did bama start airing it out, as they should vs that personnel.

It speaks volumes that Osu stayed in the 4-4 while bama kept killing them in the air. Tells what they thought most important to stop.

Bama did the same thing to everyone. Run the ball till the defense has to sell out to stop it. Then make them pay in a big way.

Offense requires a certain balance, but everything starts with running the ball. Bama was no different

Last edited:
YesZ. We should change our strategy to recruit 5 stars.

don’t know why Stoops can’t figure this out.

and shoving after the play (both sides were doing by the way...only one was called) is thuggery, let me introduce you to UT.

please tell me this was sarcasm...

Not sarcasm Max. Both teams were guilty. Not saying he should recruit just five stars. Celebrating a tackle and so many personal fouls was no fun to watch. Just saying the five star guys play with more discipline and don't showboat like the two and three star guys do. Not good discipline in that game and that's on Stoops.

Not sarcasm Max. Both teams were guilty. Not saying he should recruit just five stars. Celebrating a tackle and so many personal fouls was no fun to watch. Just saying the five star guys play with more discipline and don't showboat like the two and three star guys do. Not good discipline in that game and that's on Stoops.
Ok. That I agree with. Misinterpreted the original statement. Sorry !!!

It is a fine line between “being on edge” and “losing your s$$t”. And yeah we “got chippy” a few times. I definitely see your point.

Lots of stupid timed penalties, not enough players on the field that kinda crap. The UL trash can incident was particularly mortifying and the near fight before the Belk was totally uncalled for.
That is on the staff.

but gotta remember, his “OC” and the new one have been head coaches at multiple college stops and NFL stops too. Has to help to have that staff around all the time.

Stoops is a passionate guy, and instills passion in his players. Passion can kiss and passion can bite. Agree it is an issue.
I remember watching Stenberg and thinking “I wish he would control himself” and the thinking he wouldn’t be the player he is without that.

Bad part is our timing. Always happens at the worst times...

I'm not sure what the final split was. Look at the first quarter - najee time and again. That was always their mo. Osu switched to a 4-4 to stop the run. Only then did bama start airing it out, as they should vs that personnel.

It speaks volumes that Osu stayed in the 4-4 while bama kept killing them in the air. Tells what they thought most important to stop.

Bama did the same thing to everyone. Run the ball till the defense has to sell out to stop it. Then make them pay in a big way.

Offense requires a certain balance, but everything starts with running the ball. Bama was no different

Alabama threw on their first 3 offensive plays, and 8 out of 12 plays on the opening drive.

• Wow
Enjoyed a moment during the Coaches Film Room last night when Hugh Freeze pointed out Alabama had offensive linemen going further than three yards downfield on a Alabama RPO play. "Nick use to yell and complain all the time about us doing that at Ole Miss and now he's doing it."

They rarely called it and never noticed there weren't enough men on the line of scrimmage quite a few times

5 star guys don't showboat?! LMAO!!

• Haha

They have lineman downfield and run non stop picks on the perimeter.

Most of "modern offense" is creative ways to run picks daring officials to throw the flag.

They have lineman downfield and run non stop picks on the perimeter.

Most of "modern offense" is creative ways to run picks daring officials to throw the flag.

Fkn annoying to know the rules and watch games these days.

The picks were so blatant I was laughing out loud at the bar. The OSU fans weren't laughing. The Bama fans didn't care. It's become more and more obvious that this game is officiated for specific teams to do well and make the cfp, but the horrendous no-calls and blown calls in the championship made me think the NFL sent their hacks to call it.

I believe the OSU OT was holding on about 20% of their pass plays and got called once. If Saban realized that refs don’t make calls, it might be negligent for him not to incorporate those plays. I will say the same for Stoops. Rules that are not enforced are not rules.

Reactions: fcats
- Najee Harris is really good for sure....but to me in the title game Bama leaned on threatening OSU all over the field with the pass game (including Harris in that as well) not running the ball traditionally like they did a few years back. Bama throws quick screens to stretch your sideline to sideline, they obviously test you vertically as well with their speed and Mac Jones very good accuracy and then tests you LBers in space throwing to Harris. But the key to it all, to me, was their Oline. Nobody all year could really rush well with 4-5...and then you bring blitzes....the screens/slants to Davonte Smith spread you out in space...or just throw a go route and he's amazing WR. OSU all american CB Sean Wade was not even close to good enough to deal with Davonte.

- To the point about rules....that is my one criticism that Bama gets an unfair flags in most games. College should be alot more like NFL (and I think basketball refs should be more like NBA) which feels more consistent in application of rules.
- Bama OL are down the field a ton in RPO game...it needs to be called and looked for.
- The constant pick plays in passing game to get guys open is ridiculous on sideline routes.
- This is the big one for me...Bama DBs are constantly grabbing and holding WR well past 5 yards. In NFL I've seen them call defensive holding/automatic first down a few times per drive if a team won't get their hands off WR after 5 yards. In college...it's like that rule does not exist and then they break it out sparingly on other plays. Bama is the worst at man handling your WR all over the place and daring refs to flag it.

Reactions: law1127
I believe the OSU OT was holding on about 20% of their pass plays and got called once. If Saban realized that refs don’t make calls, it might be negligent for him not to incorporate those plays. I will say the same for Stoops. Rules that are not enforced are not rules.
Yep, if I remember correctly, Saban lost a championship on a pick route that wasn't called versus Clemson.

- Najee Harris is really good for sure....but to me in the title game Bama leaned on threatening OSU all over the field with the pass game (including Harris in that as well) not running the ball traditionally like they did a few years back. Bama throws quick screens to stretch your sideline to sideline, they obviously test you vertically as well with their speed and Mac Jones very good accuracy and then tests you LBers in space throwing to Harris. But the key to it all, to me, was their Oline. Nobody all year could really rush well with 4-5...and then you bring blitzes....the screens/slants to Davonte Smith spread you out in space...or just throw a go route and he's amazing WR. OSU all american CB Sean Wade was not even close to good enough to deal with Davonte.

- To the point about rules....that is my one criticism that Bama gets an unfair flags in most games. College should be alot more like NFL (and I think basketball refs should be more like NBA) which feels more consistent in application of rules.
- Bama OL are down the field a ton in RPO game...it needs to be called and looked for.
- The constant pick plays in passing game to get guys open is ridiculous on sideline routes.
- This is the big one for me...Bama DBs are constantly grabbing and holding WR well past 5 yards. In NFL I've seen them call defensive holding/automatic first down a few times per drive if a team won't get their hands off WR after 5 yards. In college...it's like that rule does not exist and then they break it out sparingly on other plays. Bama is the worst at man handling your WR all over the place and daring refs to flag it.
I agree on the DBs but the only thing I would add, they tend to let that go both ways. They allow a lot of hand fighting and rarely call the push off by the receiver unless it's blatant.

I am no Bama fan, but those complaints (OL down field, picks, CBs grabbing) are complaints made in most football games, not just the Bama games. In fact, as noted in this or another thread, Freeze commented during the game that Saban used to complain to refs repeatedly about the Ole Miss OL getting beyond the barrier. Ole Miss getting favorable calls?

I am no Bama fan, but those complaints (OL down field, picks, CBs grabbing) are complaints made in most football games, not just the Bama games. In fact, as noted in this or another thread, Freeze commented during the game that Saban used to complain to refs repeatedly about the Ole Miss OL getting beyond the barrier. Ole Miss getting favorable calls?
I'll be honest...I watched maybe 2 Ole Miss games in Freeze's short tenure..so I can't say. I know Freeze beat Saban twice..so I am sure Nick pointed out things he wanted refs to pay attention to. To be fair, Nick was part of argument of the hurry up offenses that could sub but defense had a hard time subbing in...and now we have that rule that offense can't snap the ball until defense has a chance to get lined up if they sub in.

So it feels like Saban has more influence on things than your guard and variety coach. Maybe is it jealousy as they are so dang good. But to the point, there are blatant rules broken on DBs that in NFL they don't let even the top tier teams get away with

Yep, if I remember correctly, Saban lost a championship on a pick route that wasn't called versus Clemson.

Sure did. Was as obvious a pick as any you'd see. No flag. Cost bama a title. Not long after, bama became masters of the pick too.

It's smart to rub and what not. But what they allow right now is just out of control. One play near the goal line, a bama TE (I think) ran downfield, stopped, turned completely inward with his arms in. Literally a basketball screen. No call but only because the defender had to run around him.

If it ACTUALLY WORKED that way, I'm all for it, but the fkers officiating our games CALL US for things they never call against UF, Bama, or UGA in the same game. We can't do anything except exactly what the rules state, and even then get screwed (Landon's phantom hold when we were in the red zone is just one of those).

I want a LEVEL playing field. That's all I've ever asked. It all we've never gotten.

My favorite new pick play that Florida and TOSU run a lot, ( probably other teams also), is when the wr uses the official in the middle of the field as the screener.

Run right off of him and forces defense to go behind the official or run right through him, as that official stands there like a statue praying he doesn't get wiped out by a linebacker.

Works to get the wr open every time I saw it ran.

Reactions: Girthang
My favorite new pick play that Florida and TOSU run a lot, ( probably other teams also), is when the wr uses the official in the middle of the field as the screener.

Run right off of him and forces defense to go behind the official or run right through him, as that official stands there like a statue praying he doesn't get wiped out by a linebacker.

Works to get the wr open every time I saw it ran.

I WANT them to run that, and we need to coach our players to run through the jagoffs EVERY TIME

FYI- there is not a “5 yard rule“ in college. Holding is when it is an obvious passing play, whenever that may be, then holding an eligible receiver, downfield, is not allowed.

Reactions: Girthang
Sure did. Was as obvious a pick as any you'd see. No flag. Cost bama a title. Not long after, bama became masters of the pick too.

It's smart to rub and what not. But what they allow right now is just out of control. One play near the goal line, a bama TE (I think) ran downfield, stopped, turned completely inward with his arms in. Literally a basketball screen. No call but only because the defender had to run around him.

There was another play where the TE even put his arms up on his chest like an old-timey block. Can't remember if it was the Bama or tOtherSU TE. Blatant and made more blatant. Still no call.

GUARANTEE you that is called against UK or Mizzou, Iowa or Iowa State, NC State or VTech when playing the favorites in their respective conferences.

ADVERTISEMENT