ADVERTISEMENT

What kind of resume do you need to be UK coach

Jan 19, 2016
What I mean is what kind of accomplishments in your previous job. What else do you need to take the Kentucky job.

Well we all learned that just being in Texas and beating Louisville in an NCAA tourney game does not a coach make. A UK coach needs a tradition of several successful trips to the NCAA tournament and the ability to land top 5 recruiting classes consistently

The problem with that is those coaches with that resume are already at blue blood schools.

Win and win at programs that haven't been known as winners imo. Pitino at Providence, Cal at UMASS. Also, be an innovator in some area. Hall with his conditioning program and the 1-3-1 zone defense. Pitino with his press and 3 point shooting. Cal and his dribble-drive and the OAD recruiting.

Kentucky shouldn't talk to someone who hasn't been to a final four until all coaches who have been to a final four have turned you down.

Reactions: Zakk Wyldcat
Main thing is not going to be on the resume. The record of a candidate should show he's one of the best, of course, or has the obvious potential to be one of the best.

The most important thing is personality. If we have learned anything in the string from Sutton to Pitino to Tubby to Clyde to Cal, it's that personality matters. This is the fishbowl of all fishbowls. An introvert, someone who really values privacy and just wants to be left alone - someone who just wants to be a basketball coach, will not last. The job will swallow such a person alive. To really excel in this job, you can't just be a great coach - you have to love the limelight.

Well we all learned that just being in Texas and beating Louisville in an NCAA tourney game does not a coach make. A UK coach needs a tradition of several successful trips to the NCAA tournament and the ability to land top 5 recruiting classes consistently
Being in Texas and beating UL may not make you a coach but it will get you the job.

Kentucky shouldn't talk to someone who hasn't been to a final four until all coaches who have been to a final four have turned you down.

I agree and they should have been a top recruiter too.

Coaching at Ky is easy.

Just recruit the five best players in the country every year while recruiting only KY kids.

Make every fan think you are interested in what they think.

Win 42 games a year, top the polls each week while covering every spread.

Play each fan’s favorite player at least 20 min.

Act like the players are irrelevant compared to winning but recruiting only the best.

Recruit only four year players.

Play zone no matter how bad it sucks.

Only recruit freshmen that play like seniors.

Only recruit three point shooters that are Olympic caliber athletes.

Coerce lottery picks to return all four years.

Make sure to recruit enough shooters.

Never yell on the sidelines but get in every refs face when a fan thinks the ref missed a call.

Page 2 . . .

Rupp
Pitino
Cal

All innovators. They were/are all coaches who created new methodology and won with it. The other significant coaches were students of one of these coaches.

Reactions: catzcan
I think that coach would have to have improved a program or two, and gotten their teams to overachieve. The recruiting will come once they're at UK.
Thinking like that is a recipe for disaster. It's thinking "the program will make the coach", and I'm sorry, but that's been proven completely wrong. Coaches can use UK's resources to do better than they would elsewhere, but UK is still dependent on the coach more than the other way around. That's just how college basketball works, since the coach is the only constant.

2 ways to go when Cal leaves. One is to take a very proven, older coach (which is what I suspect will happen). The other is to take a younger guy with a less extensive resume'. Going for that kind of hire is going to depend on listening to the right college basketball insiders so that you're certain you're getting someone with an astronomically high level of ambition, who won't be overwhelmed by the expectations and scope of the job. In short, the right personality.

Try to find the next 35-40 year old Cal, or Pitino, or Krzyzewski, or Brad Stevens. It's more of a gamble, but if you succeed, the payoff is really high.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Would you take a guy who is 28 years old and has only coached in high school?

I know you were "tongue in cheek" but Notre Dame took a guy who only coached football in HS but had an incredible record in Cinci. It was a complete and total disaster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT