ADVERTISEMENT

What J Givony has to say about our recruits

JST390-2

Junior
Nov 1, 2015
Florida

Justin Edwards | 6-7 | SF​

Imhotep Charter | 2023 | Committed to Kentucky​

Edwards had one of the single best performances at this year's Hoophall, posting 25 points, 12 rebounds, 6 steals and 4 assists and dominating his matchup in a win over highly regarded wing prospect Ian Jackson.

Edwards' aggressiveness and intensity on both ends of the floor stood out. He got downhill repeatedly for emphatic above-the-rim finishes, made the right reads with several intelligent passes, showed his improving pull-up game while demonstrating good instincts and toughness crashing the glass and jumping passing lanes.

NBA scouts will be intrigued with Edwards' size, length, physicality, two-way versatility and productivity, especially in a class that leaves much to be desired as far as surefire NBA contributors. His ballhandling and perimeter shooting have room to grow, and while turning 20 in the first month of his college career isn't ideal, there's a lot to like about the role-playing potential and high floor Edwards already demonstrates relative to other high school seniors.

D.J. Wagner | 6-3 | PG/SG​

Camden | 2023 | Committed to Kentucky​

Wagner showed positives and negatives in his two-game outing at Hoophall, scoring 27 points in a loss to Corona Centennial and then struggling with efficiency and shot selection in a blowout win over Bishop Gorman.

While he hasn't grown much in the past year, Wagner is clearly working on his frame. He's one of the best shot creators in the class, showing an impressive ability to change speeds and put pressure on the rim with polished footwork, long strides and outstanding ballhandling ability using either hand, getting to the free throw line at a strong rate thanks to his propensity for seeking out and absorbing contact in the lane.

Wagner's ability to create for teammates and perimeter shooting haven't improved as much as expected since he emerged as an elite-level prospect early in his high school career. He still primarily looks for his own offense operating out of isolation or pick-and-roll with most of his assists coming off simple drive and dish plays to the strong side or extra passes along the perimeter. Considering he only stands 6-3 and is a streaky outside shooter historically (25% 3P% this season, 26% 3P% for his career), that's certainly not ideal for a player most view as a top-five prospect in this class.

Wagner's defense also is a work in progress, especially relative to his dimensions (6-5 wingspan) and the fact that he projects to play quite a bit of shooting guard next season at Kentucky alongside another undersized, ball-dominant guard in Robert Dillingham, who is also not known for his defense or outside shooting.

Not turning 18 until May, Wagner has time to continue to improve his weaknesses, even if it's fair to say his development has stagnated somewhat over the past year relative to the very high expectations he generated.

Aaron Bradshaw | 7-0 | C​

Camden | 2023 | Committed to Kentucky​

Sporting a huge size advantage in his Hoophall matchups, Bradshaw was able to dominate the offensive glass, finish emphatically when spoon-fed around the basket and even show some flashes of his improving touch from the perimeter, but did not have the most impressive overall weekend relative to his lofty standing.

Sporting a narrow frame with an extremely thin lower body, Bradshaw has a ways to go to hold his own from a physicality standpoint at the college level. He gets pushed around more than you'd like to see from a 7-footer, shying away from contact in the lane and settling for quite a few difficult turnarounds, fadeaways and face-up jumpers, to mixed results. He also isn't much of a passer, as the game often moves too fast for him.

Defensively, Bradshaw doesn't make the impact you might expect relative to his size and length. He struggles to move his feet on the perimeter due to his upright stance, is a mixed bag as a defensive rebounder and rim-protector and gets posted up and scored on frequently by players smaller than him. To his credit, he plays with a very high-intensity level, running the floor with purpose and making an effort to crash the offensive glass with his length and excellent motor. He's also shown clear improvement with his outside shot, is reliable from the free throw line and led the Nike EYBL in dunks with 45 in 25 games. He's clearly been on an upward trajectory the past two years and is a strong communicator who brings a positive spirit on and off the floor.

The margin for error in the modern NBA for thin-framed big men in Bradshaw's mold has never been thinner, as teams expect 7-footers to anchor their defense and also bring a versatile skill set offensively as passers and outside shooters. Bradshaw has a ways to go in those areas and is headed to a Kentucky Wildcats squad next season that will likely be flush with big men options.

I keep reading a lot of negative comments from analysts on our 2 incoming guards and they're all pretty consistent.
The fact that they're undersized iso guys that struggle to shoot, is alarming.
Bradshaw is a 7' stringbean, I hope he likes contact, because he’s going to get muscled a lot at this level.
Cal needs to get an elite PF, who knows, maybe Adou can play the 4.
This looks like a 10+ loss team to me. An undersized freshmen backcourt, that can't shoot, is a bad combo.

I keep reading a lot of negative comments from analysts on our 2 incoming guards and they're all pretty consistent.
Bradshaw is a 7' stringbean, I hope he likes contact, because he’s going to get muscled a lot at this level.
This looks like a 10+ loss team to me. An undersized freshmen backcourt, that can't shoot, is a bad combo.
I'm also excited about the class, but certainly have questions when people claim it is "Cal's best class ever."?

Can I just say that I LOVE how Justin Edwards is turning 20 and not like.. 17 when he comes to UK? I know the NBA scouts don't love that.. but I don't give a shit about the NBA scouts. We could be getting a very developed and experienced player (from what we are used to) for one year.

Can I just say that I LOVE how Justin Edwards is turning 20 and not like.. 17 when he comes to UK? I know oe the NBA scouts don't love that.. but I don't give a shit about the NBA scouts. We could be getting a very developed and experienced player (from what we are used to) for one year.
I remember when we had a guy who was 20 as a freshman and because he "reclassified" people kept saying "remember this guy should still be in high school!" lololol

Kind of depressing reading that. Wagner and Dillingham can't shoot or play defense? Bradshaw a long way to go defensively? Edwards working on offense and shooting? Maybe Sheppard will at least be one guy that can shoot coming in. Where do all the good shooters go out of high school?
Group of 5 schools.

Reactions: seccats04
I think Edwards will be a beast. But I agree with almost everything you say said.

I'm also excited about the class, but certainly have questions when people claim it is "Cal's best class ever."?
Yeah, I don't think it is. The '13 class was exceptional and, of course, so were the '09 and '11 classes.
I don't know if any of these kids are transcendent talents. I know none of them are generational.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I think Edwards will be a beast. But I agree with almost everything you say said.
Yeah, Edwards appears to be legit, but I'm not sold on the others and quite frankly, I don't understand why the NBA wants two undersized guards that can’t shoot.
Cal's going to need some dudes out of the portal, but I still don't think that's going to help, because he’s not going to play them over his NBA potential guys.

Kind of depressing reading that. Wagner and Dillingham can't shoot or play defense? Bradshaw a long way to go defensively? Edwards working on offense and shooting? Maybe Sheppard will at least be one guy that can shoot coming in. Where do all the good shooters go out of high school?
What has seemingly always been the case is that most high-level isolation guys are rarely good shooters. They can be streaky and we've seen many go off on us at Rupp over the years.

I don’t think this group will be all that great. I think we’ll struggle to make the tournament. Not all high level 5 stars are created equal. Look at Duke this year. They have 3 of the top 5 recruits in the country. Only 1 of them is good. 1 is very average. And 1 (Lively) is flat out bad

Been saying people should Slow down on their expectations for these freshmen .
Because people are selling and buying bullshit meant to cover for Calipari.

“Don’t you see the class he has coming in next year!!! Number 1!!! Pay no attention to the team currently playing that’s on the bubble because of coaching malfeasance…”

It would be interesting knowing how much credibility our recruiters put into players fundamentals. Do they just go after any five star that shows interest in us and not even worry about how good they are fundamentally like shooting, defending, passing, etc? Do they not go watch lower rated recruits that have better fundamentals because it is just too much work to go scout a lot more players than just five stars?

To be fair while this is a weak class overall…there is not a single school that would turn this class down.

I frankly don’t care about recruiting anymore because it’s the same old bullshit and nothing changes but yeah no one would turn down this class for some mythical “fundamentally sound” players.

Five star Pettiford for the next class will pick his school in a couple weeks. Says will will pick Auburn over us. Is this a loss or is he just another athletic guy that can't shoot or defend either?

Reed Sheppard isn’t an NBA prospect. Those others are.
Right. But it should be mentioned, there have been several guys who weren't considered NBA prospects based on their measurables who ended up being prospects later based on their skill and on-court performance. Tyler Herro wasn't considered an NBA prospect coming out of high school.

Last edited:
I would not call 6'3 "undersized" for a guard!

But I agree with a lot of what you're saying.
I've been saying for awhile that while this may be the #1 class, BUT...from all impressions it is the #1 of a "weak class". And may turn out like the Knox/PJ/Diallo/Vanderbilt/SGA/Gabriel class.
I like Edwards, but seems not that different from Livingston, maybe a little better.
The Wagner / Dillingham combo seems like a watered down version of Bledsoe & Wall.
I've been thinking all along Bradshaw will not be ready to start as a FR (think Lively at Duke), and his write-up supports that. But luckily I think Onyenso will be ready. Or who knows, maybe we are surprised with another year of Oscar. Although if we were, I'd support him focusing on the perimeter (AND DEFENSE) this summer (like Patterson did his last year) and playing him at the 4 with Onyenso (who can erase a lot of defensive mistakes).
I do think Sheppard gets overlooked, not because he is a legacy, nor because he's white, but more because he is not ultra athletic (he is athletic). But he is highly skilled. And in college, skilled > athletic. In NBA maybe they are equally important, but because scouts think you can learn skills, but you can't learn to be ultra athletic, they value the ultra athletic more. And I think you will see many fans disappointed with how much PT Sheppard gets as a FR. But I think as a Soph he is all-SEC (16,3,5) for us.

Wagner sounds more and more disappointing. I knew he couldn't shoot, but if his defense isn't there, then ugh.
Defense is effort, desire, and playing smart. Sure being athletic helps.
No reason he or any other player at that level can't be a good defender. But we've known kids arrive not known as good defenders, but then leave as one.

It would be interesting knowing how much credibility our recruiters put into players fundamentals. Do they just go after any five star that shows interest in us and not even worry about how good they are fundamentally like shooting, defending, passing, etc? Do they not go watch lower rated recruits that have better fundamentals because it is just too much work to go scout a lot more players than just five stars?
While I agree with what you are saying, the issue is, the amount of high school kids that are fundamentally sound enough to compete at the D1 college level, are very few. Like, there aren't many Brandon Miller's out there.

Which is why building a team out of one-and-done high school kids is a really bad way to build a roster if winning college games is the goal.

If the goal is to get a bunch of kids drafted, well, Cal is on the right track, but this here isn't going to work in the SEC.

In order to have a team full of college ready kids that are fundamentally sound, you have to develop them over a period of several years, which is exactly what you see cutting down the nets every year.

I hope we have Reeves and CJ return as starters. But even if they come back I won’t hold my breath on both starting. Next season looks like another poor shooting team that Cal will run his iso offense with. Both guards can’t shoot or defend. Bradshaw sounds like he’ll be pretty raw and not much of a stretch big.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect this line up:

Wagner
Dilly
Edwards
Bradshaw/Toppin
Ugo/Oscar

If Toppin and Oscar come back I’d imagine Cal would start them. Livingston, if he doesn’t transfer, will back up the 3. Leaving Sheppard, Thiero, and potentially CJ and Reeves to back up the 1-3.

I don’t see that team gelling well and I have no idea where your shooting is going to come from. We will again have, at most, 2 shooters on the floor. And more than likely Cal will run line ups with zero shooters on the floor.

I suspect we lose a lot of games to teams with more modern approaches and Cal will call us bennies for disagreeing with his approach.

As a side, I also don’t anticipate this class as a whole to be very strong. I guess we’ll see. How I’m wrong.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
I would not call 6'3 "undersized" for a guard!

But I agree with a lot of what you're saying.
I've been saying for awhile that while this may be the #1 class, BUT...from all impressions it is the #1 of a "weak class". And may turn out like the Knox/PJ/Diallo/Vanderbilt/SGA/Gabriel class.
I like Edwards, but seems not that different from Livingston, maybe a little better.
The Wagner / Dillingham combo seems like a watered down version of Bledsoe & Wall.
I've been thinking all along Bradshaw will not be ready to start as a FR (think Lively at Duke), and his write-up supports that. But luckily I think Onyenso will be ready. Or who knows, maybe we are surprised with another year of Oscar. Although if we were, I'd support him focusing on the perimeter (AND DEFENSE) this summer (like Patterson did his last year) and playing him at the 4 with Onyenso (who can erase a lot of defensive mistakes).
I do think Sheppard gets overlooked, not because he is a legacy, nor because he's white, but more because he is not ultra athletic (he is athletic). But he is highly skilled. And in college, skilled > athletic. In NBA maybe they are equally important, but because scouts think you can learn skills, but you can't learn to be ultra athletic, they value the ultra athletic more. And I think you will see many fans disappointed with how much PT Sheppard gets as a FR. But I think as a Soph he is all-SEC (16,3,5) for us.
When I look at the roster for next year and I realize who the coach is, I am very certain we are in for a disaster of a year.
Cal is going to play those freshmen until we are in yet another very deep hole, then he will begrudgingly play some veterans and get it stabilized, but by then, it will be too late.
He only has these kids for 1 year, so he's going to play them no matter what and who knows what deals he made with each one of these kids and their camps.

As far as Wagner's height, up until this write up, he was 6'1". Maybe he's grown 2".

Right. But it should be mentioned, there have been several guys who weren't considered NBA prospects based on their measurables who ended up being prospects later based on their skill and on-court performance. Tyler Herro wasn't considered an NBA prospect coming out of high school.

Take it up with the guy who you know evaluates high school prospects and projects them to the NBA?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: IL Wildcat
ADVERTISEMENT