ADVERTISEMENT

What is the Story with Trevon Duval?

BlueRattie

Sophomore
Feb 6, 2014
Usually, Cal is right in the thick of things with the top PG's of every class. Yet, I never really saw any kind of link between UK and Duval during this entire recruiting cycle. His "official" list, as of today, is Baylor, Kansas, Duke, Seton Hall, and Arizona. I find it odd that Cal, the Dalai Lama of Point Guards, was never in on this kid. What's the story? Did Cal see something he didn't like? Is there animosity? Did the kid not like UK from the get go?

Completely had to do with the Prep school he was at last year. Cal will not recruit from there.
Mostly, but even beyond that, he was on his 3rd school in 3 years when he went there. Now he just finished his 4th in 4.

I've always been ticked at the way that Duke is portrayed as oh so pure when it comes to recruiting (BS. They swim in the same waters as everyone else), but honestly, given Duval's background, I'm stunned that they're going after him so hard. There's no way they recruit him 10 years ago. Krzyzewski knows the end is near, and he's chasing one final title.

Cal is very careful who gets involved with. Not saying the kid is a problem because I have no idea. May be several reasons. Could be Cal got a feel that he wasn't interested, or vice versa.
I trust Cal in recruiting without question.

What what I can't understand about Duval---is it was almost a certainty he would never qualify/ and/ or play college ball---yet now Duke is involved in his recruitment and all of those concerns go away?
To be fair, I don't think there's ever been any certainty about his academic status. There have been a lot of whispers, because when a kid goes to 4 different schools in 4 different years, one of which lost its accreditation, it naturally raises a lot of questions. But for all we really know, Duval might have no eligibility issues.

Still surprising that Duke is so heavily involved. They've generally avoided prep school/basketball factory players like Duval.

I think I've said this before, but Duval's ego + K's ego and coaching style could be a disaster next year assuming he goes to Duke. Maybe Capel can keep the peace - Duval is Capel's boy - but Duval probably would have been better off playing for a guy like Alford or Self.

The first time K tries to use one of his old school motivational tactics like "you don't deserve to wear a Duke jersey" like he did with last year's team, Duval will laugh in his bloated old botoxed face.

That attitude thing is another reason why I think Cal took a pass here.

Usually, Cal is right in the thick of things with the top PG's of every class. Yet, I never really saw any kind of link between UK and Duval during this entire recruiting cycle. His "official" list, as of today, is Baylor, Kansas, Duke, Seton Hall, and Arizona. I find it odd that Cal, the Dalai Lama of Point Guards, was never in on this kid. What's the story? Did Cal see something he didn't like? Is there animosity? Did the kid not like UK from the get go?

He was not rapist enough to go to Kan

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT