ADVERTISEMENT

What is Cal’s Plan?

CarolinaCatsFan

Sophomore
Sep 14, 2015
Serious question.

If 9 wins wasn’t humiliating enough….

If not winning the SEC wasn’t humiliating enough…

If getting beaten by #15 seed St. Peter’s with the NPOY wasn’t humiliating enough…

If the Shaedon Sharpe debacle wasn’t humiliating enough…

If losing Jai Lucas to Duke wasn’t humiliating enough…

If your former Asst. Coach rebuilding our biggest rival (and potentially pulling Wagner) isn’t humiliating enough …

WHAT IS?

because by the looks of things — we are going to be good, but not elite in the Fall. And, it sure seems Cal is CONTENT to roll with who we have.

Duke not only pulled Lucas from Cal, they now have their pick of prized recruits.

While THEIR ‘23 class is basically DONE - we have ONE recruit: Reed Sheppard.

UL appears to be in the drivers seat for Cal’s “ace in the hole” DJ Wagner …

and yet — we STILL don’t have an assistant coach hired to replace Lucas yet…

I’m SO CONFUSED by Cal’s “plan” … because right now … it DOES NOT seem like he has one.

Curious your thoughts, @ralphdaltonfan …?

Or is cal just thinking 2 5* recruits are going to get it done by themselves? If you’re HC you have to know who’s staying or going by now. Is cal on vacation or something? 9 mill a year and we’re letting other teams take all the top transfers. But hey we got sharpe #1 recruit baby!

Gold standard, haven’t seen him. Haven’t seen any one.

god there’s no plan is there.

Reminds me of my old post lol

Serious question.

If 9 wins wasn’t humiliating enough….

If not winning the SEC wasn’t humiliating enough…

If getting beaten by #15 seed St. Peter’s with the NPOY wasn’t humiliating enough…

If the Shaedon Sharpe debacle wasn’t humiliating enough…

If losing Jai Lucas to Duke wasn’t humiliating enough…

If your former Asst. Coach rebuilding our biggest rival (and potentially pulling Wagner) isn’t humiliating enough …

WHAT IS?

because by the looks of things — we are going to be good, but not elite in the Fall. And, it sure seems Cal is CONTENT to roll with who we have.

Duke not only pulled Lucas from Cal, they now have their pick of prized recruits.

While THEIR ‘23 class is basically DONE - we have ONE recruit: Reed Sheppard.

UL appears to be in the drivers seat for Cal’s “ace in the hole” DJ Wagner …

and yet — we STILL don’t have an assistant coach hired to replace Lucas yet…

I’m SO CONFUSED by Cal’s “plan” … because right now … it DOES NOT seem like he has one.

Curious your thoughts, @ralphdaltonfan …?
I mean, not sure what you think I'd know differently than you or anyone else? My take is all's been quiet which I don't think is a bad thing. There's still a lot to get done for '23 team (hiring an AC, finalizing roster, etc...) but I don't think their recruiting has been bad at all the past 2 years. Sharpe situation has been the debacle but if he played, think fans admit that's a great class. The IF HE PLAYED being the problem we all have issue with and rightfully so. But two Top 5 recruits including #1 and #4 is strong after what we'd seen was dramatic improvement from staff. They have recruited aggressively this Spring and not been caught putting all their efforts into 1 player. Stated repeatedly I like the '23 roster more than '22 which season was a step in right direction until the last Month where injury to Washington was magnified. Never cared for Brooks or Mintz and Grady was a guy who was in CBB as a 25 yr old for a reason and it wasn't because he was undervalued. The loss in 1st Rd which I could sense was more likely than a deep run was going to derail anything positive, so that's where we are now. Perfect storm of negative talk. (which I do understand from hardocre fans just drained and wanting some positive things to enjoy for their distraction which is UK Basketball)

This era is going to end soon be it after this year or the next but stated yesterday that I don't see Cal staying beyond the '24 season and everyone will get their wish in the near future but can't say when because he's got this year to play out.

I mean, not sure what you think I'd know differently than you or anyone else? My take is all's been quiet which I don't think is a bad thing. There's still a lot to get done for '23 team (hiring an AC, finalizing roster, etc...) but I don't think their recruiting has been bad at all the past 2 years. Sharpe situation has been the debacle but if he played, think fans admit that's a great class. The IF HE PLAYED being the problem we all have issue with and rightfully so. But two Top 5 recruits including #1 and #4 is strong after what we'd seen was dramatic improvement from staff. They have recruited aggressively this Spring and not been caught putting all their efforts into 1 player. Stated repeatedly I like the '23 roster more than '22 which season was a step in right direction until the last Month where injury to Washington was magnified. Never cared for Brooks or Mintz and Grady was a guy who was in CBB as a 25 yr old for a reason and it wasn't because he was undervalued. The loss in 1st Rd which I could sense was more likely than a deep run was going to derail anything positive, so that's where we are now. Perfect storm of negative talk. (which I do understand from hardocre fans just drained and wanting some positive things to enjoy for their distraction which is UK Basketball)

This era is going to end soon be it after this year or the next but stated yesterday that I don't see Cal staying beyond the '24 season and everyone will get their wish in the near future but can't say when because he's got this year to play out.
Thanks, @ralphdaltonfan. Any insight into Wagner with this UL news?

No one on this board knows. We sit back and wait to see it unfold. Then we either like it or hate it. That how this works.
Nobody knows because Cal is being silent. Inappropriately silent.

We just had two of the most disappointing seasons of CAL'S career, and his prize recruit has bolted without logging a minute of playing time, and he has nothing to say.

I'd suspect Calipari knows a lot is riding on next season with pressure high. Secondarily is to secure future recruits. What else can he do?

If he is as petty and vindictive as some on here have said - he is likely working on a last ditch effort to ensure UK "knows" he is bigger than UK, always was and always will be. (acute narcissism causes self-deception).

That would be sad - rather than to try to rebuild any sense of rapport or accomplishment - ending strong. Leaving it in shambles will not reflect well no matter the spin or how much someone has convinced themselves of their personal importance.

I guess we will see. Seems like zero is going on - zero effort - zero concern. Can't catch a day with decent news.

If he is as petty and vindictive as some on here have said - he is likely working on a last ditch effort to ensure UK "knows" he is bigger than UK, always was and always will be. (acute narcissism causes self-deception).

That would be sad - rather than to try to rebuild any sense of rapport or accomplishment - ending strong. Leaving it in shambles will not reflect well no matter the spin or how much someone has convinced themselves of their personal importance.

I guess we will see. Seems like zero is going on - zero effort - zero concern. Can't catch a day with decent news.
When you chose your name you hit a home run

Then WHY isn’t he loading up on as many players as possible??
Where do you get these players from and how many want to transfer to ride the bench? Obviously if they thought adding certain players would benefit team, they’d add them.

We have a guy on our roster in CJ who has been hurt every season.Another guy in Wheeler who doesn't know what a screen is and always gets his head bashed in.This should end well.
You mean the screen Oscar or some one is supposed to call out? Have you ever watched a game?

See there you are again, dude bring some assemblance of value to this board just something of substance. I will not go low like you do but for crying out loud bring something to the table.
You call that post valuable? Something of substance? We disagree there.

See there you are again, dude bring some assemblance of value to this board just something of substance. I will not go low like you do but for crying out loud bring something to the table.
It's pointless. He's only here to elevate Cal to god-like status and call anyone who disagrees, 'not a real UK fan'. It's the same thing I saw IU fans doing at the end of Bobby Knight. Beholden to a coach, not the program.

The only players UK pulls in these days are guys who see playing time and a national spotlight on their way to the NBA...

It just happens that that place is UK. Could have been MSU or Peter College or SCLSU, makes no difference, the school is irrelevant.

Tough to build a program when you're only bringing in those types of players.

ADVERTISEMENT