ADVERTISEMENT

What I didn't see last night...

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
I didn't see John Wall, Anthony Davis, Nerlens Noel, Julius Randle, Karl Towns, or DeAaron Fox - in other words, a transcendent talent you could build a team around. I didn't see a team with Brandon Knight, Jamal Murray or Malik Monk --a guard with big time scoring ability.

I wanted to see a dominating player in Knox. And he's a talented kid who will be an NBA player. But right now the person he reminds me of (though with important differences) is freshman Terrance Jones - lots of potential but not ready to dominate a game.

Add in the youth factor and this is a team that will struggle for awhile at best. The Kansas game may be like the Connecticut game of 2010 when the team looked overmatched. Road games in the SEC against tough, veteran teams could be ugly. If Cal gets this team to jell as a defensive juggernaut with enough offense to make a run in March Itll top 2011 and 2014 and mark his greatest coaching triumph.

I did not see a dominate big man. Richards is long and has some athleticism, but I think he is a bit of a project on both ends of the floor. I also did not see an elite PG. I think Shai and Green have real strengths, but also noticeable weaknesses. I think they will tag team at that position.

We will miss Vanderbilt.

Knox, Wenyen and PJ demonstrated some real positives on the offensive end of the floor. Diallo in transition will be fun and I like his explosiveness, but mid-range and perimeter in half court sets are not his strength.

Gonna be a wild ride.

Last edited:
I did not see a dominate big man. Richards is long and has some athleticism, but I think he is a bit of a project on both ends of the floor. I also did not see an elite PG. I think Shai and Green have rea strengths, but also noticeable weaknesses. I think they will tab team at that position.

We will miss Vanderbilt.

Knox, Wenyen and PJ demonstrated some real positives on the offensive end of the floor. Diallo in transition will be fun and I like his explosiveness, but mid-range and perimeter in half court sets are not his strength.

Gonna be a wild ride.

Very good take on what we saw last night. We just don't have that elite PG this year, at least not from what I saw last night. Definite weaknesses in ball handling and running the offense from Green and Alexander. I can see lots of potential for turnovers in their game. Very impressed with Knox, just has that aggression and nose for the ball all over the court. I think he will be very solid this year and maybe our best player and go to guy. I guess Diallo has great potential and is very fast/quick but I wasn't overly impressed by him last night, didn't see much of an outside game and he had trouble finishing inside even after he beat people badly. Hoping it was just opening nigh gitters and that I'm way wrong about him. Washington was another player I was very impressed with, very strong, aggressive. Gonna be tough keeping him off the floor I think. Richards has great potential as a rebounder/shot blocker but I don't see much offense coming from him. Gabriel and Jones both looked improved over last year and left me hopeful. Wynyard, I can see him giving some solid minutes off the bench this year and think we may see more of him this season, looks to be improved and in better shape. Just a few random observations.

while i dont think we have a super star player i think we have 9 really good players. All of those 9 have a shot to play in the nba. Washington is going to be unstoppable. He just gets it. He can shoot, Hes smart and is just as comfortable taking jumpers as he is playing with his back to the basket. He drives and doesnt force stuff. Only negative with him is his free throw shooting, There wont be any weak links in our rotation. If we get on the same page we could be deadly. I really like what i see. ALOT of nice pieces

C'mon people, what did you expect? I guess I can understand know, why some on here get so disappointed. Their expectations are over the roof. May be the youngest team ever in Div 1 history, and some expect them to look like Spurs, after a couple weeks of practice. lol

Kids never improve. They are over the hill at 19. Washed up. Has beens. Game over. Turnout the lights. The fat lady has sung.

I seen some really talented players. Richards might not be an offensive guru, but looks to be a solid rebounder and a shot blocker.
Washington flying all around the court, bringing the ball up the court with ease and making shots just from about everywhere.
Knox looks like he can do just about everything.
I don't see no major problems, this EARLY into this season. As Coach Cal says I like our players alot.

Yeah I didn't see any of those guys either... because they don't play for UK anymore. I did see Kevin Knox though who looks like he could be the purest scorer we've seen in the Cal era.

I have no idea what OP is talking about. Kobe Bryant could’ve been out there hitting buckets and we’d probably hear the same thing...

Reactions: Cats192
Remember what Fox looked like during the early portions of SEC play? Do you recall what KAT looked like early in his freshman season? John Wall’s team needed a last second shot versus Miami OH to win early.

I expect struggles with this team, but there were points where all of those aforementioned players looked relatively pedestrian early in their campaigns.

After one scrimmage, we suck.... Call the season.. You got all of that after one scrimmage?? I don't understand how someone can predict a whole season after a scrimmage especially this early in the season.

With maybe a couple of exceptions I don't think anyone was saying call it a season or saying we suck. Just a very early season evaluation of what we saw last night. This is a message board and people were just giving their opinions on what they saw on this first scrimmage. It means very little at this time of year but it is all we have to talk about right now and I see no problem with that. It's just simple meaningless discussion but I kind of enjoy hearing what others have to say after seeing the first scrimmage and comparing that to my first impressions. No harm in that so ease up a bit.

What I saw was a bunch of really young players with tons of talent and potential. They're not a team yet and at this point don't even begin to understand what Cal needs from them. And there will be some real challenges early in the season but this will be a Final Four team by the end of the year.

After one scrimmage, we suck.... Call the season.. You got all of that after one scrimmage?? I don't understand how someone can predict a whole season after a scrimmage especially this early in the season.
I am not hearing "we suck" from posters on this board. I am hearing young, inexperienced, raw, some weaknesses and we will lose more games than we are accustomed to under Cal. Given the youth and inexperience on the floor, it just means our fan base will need to be patient with this group and withhold unrealistic expectations this year. Pointing that out is not the same as saying we suck.

I didn't see John Wall, Anthony Davis, Nerlens Noel, Julius Randle, Karl Towns, or DeAaron Fox - in other words, a transcendent talent you could build a team around. I didn't see a team with Brandon Knight, Jamal Murray or Malik Monk --a guard with big time scoring ability.

I wanted to see a dominating player in Knox. And he's a talented kid who will be an NBA player. But right now the person he reminds me of (though with important differences) is freshman Terrance Jones - lots of potential but not ready to dominate a game.

Add in the youth factor and this is a team that will struggle for awhile at best. The Kansas game may be like the Connecticut game of 2010 when the team looked overmatched. Road games in the SEC against tough, veteran teams could be ugly. If Cal gets this team to jell as a defensive juggernaut with enough offense to make a run in March Itll top 2011 and 2014 and mark his greatest coaching triumph.
So no 40-0? Well I like that

I am going to let the cake bake. Now late December, early January if the cake is not at least rising a bit, i may end up turning the oven off and waiting to bake one next year and just enjoy the rest of the season for what it is.

Reactions: Blueisbest
I remember how god awful Fox looked in the McDonald's AA game, almost broke the backboard with 3 or 4 shots. He looked completely different in March, and almost got us to the FF.
I do see a team this year with 5 or 6 regular season losses, but a team to be reckoned with in March.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. More length, athleticism and youth than usual. Cal recruits good kids and I won’t be questioning their desire to improve and win games. Patience will be the key to enjoying the whole season. Gotta purge the AAU out of all those AA’s. Losses can excellerate that process. So much to be thankful for and proud of.

Young team with a long way to go which any reasonable fan should understand. If they weren't good players none would've been rated so high. What we all want to see is development, not only from freshmen but the returning players.

Reactions: brianpoe
I see a team that will compete for a national championship. What other team is a proven contender?
I would not trade our roster for any other. This team, or any other team in the country, will no go undefeated. We have a group of players that can dominate with size and athleticism. It will be a great season

Reactions: HICATFAN
Why are so many people harping on other's opinions?

No one said the team sucked or predicted the season outcome. No one said the kids won't improve. No one said they were devastatingly disappointed.

Some are discussing their thoughts on the scrimmage while others want to discuss their thoughts on other poster's comments... get over yourselves and talk basketball without the false accusations.

Cal knows what kind of potential he has with this team. I could see the smirk on his face when he was talking down expectations last night

Recipe to beat us will remain the same, and unfortunately, it will probably work. Pack in the zone and dare us to make shots from the perimeter.

I think Baker is going to be the kid that fans will be screaming to get more playing time. He can make shots from all over the court. But many act like shooting is all he can do. He is a very well-rounded player. Not quite the athleticism of his teammates, but certainly no slouch.

I expect him to get minimum playing time unfortunately because I don't see him having the one and done NBA aspirations of his teammates. And I'm positive that posters on here will defend Cal's decision with the typical "he can't defend" argument even though he will be our only reliable perimeter shooter. This can be maddening and I doubt anyone except @morgousky will admit it

Reactions: morgousky
Recipe to beat us will remain the same, and unfortunately, it will probably work. Pack in the zone and dare us to make shots from the perimeter.

I think Baker is going to be the kid that fans will be screaming to get more playing time. He can make shots from all over the court. But many act like shooting is all he can do. He is a very well-rounded player. Not quite the athleticism of his teammates, but certainly no slouch.

I expect him to get minimum playing time unfortunately because I don't see him having the one and done NBA aspirations of his teammates. And I'm positive that posters on here will defend Cal's decision with the typical "he can't defend" argument even though he will be our only reliable perimeter shooter. This can be maddening and I doubt anyone except @morgousky will admit it

If Baker can play he will play. Cal only playing OAD's is another dumb myth that has never been proven. The OAD's are usually our best players and the youngest, thus they need more time to work through things. After 8 years you and others with the same claim should realize this.

I know what Davis was and is now, but he was not dominant at the start of the season. He just wasn't. Neither was Towns. We see them now and how they were later in the season and forget they struggled.
I saw two guys imo, that can be that and possibly one more. Knox and PJ are gonna be studs and Gabriel looked completely different last night. Green looked consistent on his jumper. Cal really likes Knox and PJ if you listen to him. Really likes them.

Knox and Washington will be the workhorses of this team and need to stay healthy and be in the game together at the same time.

Whoever they put around them is going to benefit because the effort other teams are going to have to put in to shutting down those guys.

I did not see a dominate big man. Richards is long and has some athleticism, but I think he is a bit of a project on both ends of the floor. I also did not see an elite PG. I think Shai and Green have real strengths, but also noticeable weaknesses. I think they will tag team at that position.

We will miss Vanderbilt.

Gonna be a wild ride.
I don't see a dominate big man in CBB imo. Richards has an edge I like. He is agressive and very athletic. I see him really improving during the year.

That's a lot of faith in a guy you have never seen play a basketball game. In a single exhibition, Quade, Knox, and Wenyen showed more shooting ability than you have ever actually observed from Baker. But you know better.

Fans are always screaming for someone to play because they know the hypothetical perfect player sitting on the bench is better than the imperfect one who the dumbass coach leaves in the game. Nothing more.

Thanks for all the perspective. Sorry if I harshed anyone's Saturday morning. I probably overreacted. Im ready to see something in the exhibition games that change my mind.
I get what you were saying. That's what makes this board fun. We all get to express our views. But we all want the same thing. UK wins and titles.

My first thoughts after the scrimmage were that this team is a very solid team with a lot of interchangeable parts. No single off the charts superstar, but rather several high level players with major potential to become very special.

Sometimes the sum of the parts is greater than the individual pieces. There’s a shot this team could gel into something special by March. Lots of bumps in the road along the way. An improved SEC means more losses along they way - but I’m betting we like what we see in late February. Could have us playing several weekends into March - or even April?

Obviously a work in progress. Pretty much a donut team on offense at this point.

First guesstimate 23-8 regular season.

Vanderbilt's return or not is one of the X factors.

Just have to see them against better competition. Too much taking advantage of the walk-ons last night.

This team will be awesome on the defensive end, so much length and a lot of versatile athletes.

Knox can just about play any position and has the size/skills/strength to have a huge impact on this season. I was very impressed with his NBA ready frame, also I love Alexander, Diallo and Washington.

Like others have said, later in the season this team will be dangerous.

ADVERTISEMENT