ADVERTISEMENT

What have you found most surprising about John Calipari?

Cat Ballou

Senior
Gold Member
Mar 24, 2007
For me, considering his reputation before he came here and the extremely intense emotions - positive and negative - he seems to inspire in others, it is overwhelmingly one thing.

Despite his rep, despite his manner, despite his awesome Italian-American swag and sometimes shameless self-promotion - no matter what you think of him as a coach - John Vincent Calipari is a good man.

He shows it in his relationship with his kids, his relationship with his wife, his relationship with his friends and former players, and his relationship with UK fans. While other coaches fall off the radar for 6 months out of the year, Cal is out there tweeting and interacting with UK fans 365 days a year.

Finally, Cal shows it every day in gestures like this, the man is awesome.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...own-rupp-arena-bleachers-in-2013-passes-away/

That we've had so many guys with exemplary character. Not just guys who stay out of trouble, but ones who go above and beyond.

I knew we'd win. I knew we'd be talented. I knew his personality was a perfect fit for this job. But I had no idea you could win at this level with kids of that caliber of character.

- How many huge wins we've had in March, largely because of poor seeding and bad luck, but still.

- How well his personality fits in with us. He's not Pitino in the least bit.

Reactions: Col. Angus
For me, considering his reputation before he came here and the extremely intense emotions - positive and negative - he seems to inspire in others, it is overwhelmingly one thing.

Despite his rep, despite his manner, despite his awesome Italian-American swag and sometimes shameless self-promotion - no matter what you think of him as a coach - John Vincent Calipari is a good man.

He shows it in his relationship with his kids, his relationship with his wife, his relationship with his friends and former players, and his relationship with UK fans. While other coaches fall off the radar for 6 months out of the year, Cal is out there tweeting and interacting with UK fans 365 days a year.

Finally, Cal shows it every day in gestures like this, the man is awesome.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...own-rupp-arena-bleachers-in-2013-passes-away/

Same for me. I just went with the common perception of his persona. That he was shady and cheated. I was worried when he was named UK coach so I researched a little more in depth and found the truth; that both situations were beyond his control and that he was the victim of double standards.

I, like you, have been most surprised by just how good a man he is. Charitable, honest to a fault and a servant to those in his life. Perfect fit for the UK job and he'll be a tough act to follow.

I'm impressed and surprised by the degree to which his character either inspires our players or attracts the right kind of kids to the program. While they're here, they're always doing volunteer and charity work, even when it isn't scheduled as a team event, and so many of them continue that well into their NBA careers. Wall, Davis, and Cousins have all won philanthropy awards in the NBA and have each donated millions.

Nothing, except maybe not being from here, he gets it. But, any intelligent basketball expert or anyone with any knowledge of the college game should know where the center of the universe is in college basketball. Camelot, aka Kentucky.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
1. How quickly his gut grew
2. How he understands the program and gave fans about as much access as possible
3. His ability to recruit has exceeded any expectations I had in 2009 and that's saying something. Stark contrast from Tubby and Gillispie.
3. That with all the NBA talent that's come through since 2009, entering his 9th season, he's only won the same number of titles as Tubby did. Just shows how much luck goes into winning one and how difficult it is.
4. He's still the UK coach in 2017. I believe I predicted he'd coach 6-7 years max before heading back to the NBA in some capacity back in April 2009.

Watching him get all choked up in the 30 for 30.

The guy is so polished. Such a marketer. Always purposeful in his speech and actions.

That one scene might have been the greatest window to the real Calipari.

One thing in particular that stood out to me was the former players who attended his Hall Of Fame induction.

I'm surprised he is still at UK. Never thought he would put up with all the bull---- this long. He must have a high threshold of pain.

Ridiculous. Pain? He loves the attention and the people. He's wanted what UK gives him his entire life. He isn't Tubby Smith.

Two things:
How well he recruits. I know, I know, but I never thought he could recruit this well.
How perfectly he fits at UK. Will be very tough when he leaves.

That we've had so many guys with exemplary character. Not just guys who stay out of trouble, but ones who go above and beyond.

I knew we'd win. I knew we'd be talented. I knew his personality was a perfect fit for this job. But I had no idea you could win at this level with kids of that caliber of character.
That's exactly what I was gonna say. I love how clean this program has been under his watch. And especially while UNCheat and UofL have been exposed and Self building a legacy of guys with poor character.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
His deep love of meat.
Dr.SicilianoCalipari‏Verified account@TheErinCalipari
Find you a partner that looks at you the way my dad looks at meat. #italian #wooow @MeganteCalipari

DG6JyZkW0AAUp-0.jpg

I like his confidence and swag, but to be honest, I expected a man who thought he was better than the average Kentuckian. A man who held himself in such high regard that he thought the rest of us were idiots. You know, a Rick pitino like guy. Boy was I wrong

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
The guy truly cares about his players and cares about doing good work in the community. The perception from other fan bases when he got here was he'd recruit nothing but thugs and we'd have all kinds of off-the-court issues which we know couldn't have been further from the truth. The guy recruits great players who are also classy young men and he gets them involved in the community. Cal is a class act and the best possible coach for the University of Kentucky program.

ADVERTISEMENT