ADVERTISEMENT

What has become of World Wide Wes?

Blueworld_3.0

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2008
I know he is with the Knicks in some official capacity...VP maybe? But, it seems he has fallen off the radar related to UK, Calipari and recruits. So, is there a reason for his absence away from the UK program? A falling out with Calipari?
I can't imagine a guy who was as connected as WWW was at one time to elite recruits would just step away from the limelight. Especially concerning a program that moves the needle like UK does. After all, Calipari once designated him the program's unofficial "goodwill ambassador". LOL!
FYI, there was a thread on the IU Rivals board earlier this week that mentioned WWW and Mike Woodson were tight. They practically crucified Cal and UK when Wes was seen hanging out around Lexington during the early years of the Calipari regime. But, don't seem to have a problem with him helping "direct" recruits to Bloomington. If that is even something he can still do.
Just wondering if anyone has any scoop on this?

keyser-soze-gif-9.gif

I know he is with the Knicks in some official capacity...VP maybe? But, it seems he has fallen off the radar related to UK, Calipari and recruits. So, is there a reason for his absence away from the UK program? A falling out with Calipari?
I can't imagine a guy who was as connected as WWW was at one time to elite recruits would just step away from the limelight. Especially concerning a program that moves the needle like UK does. After all, Calipari once designated him the program's unofficial "goodwill ambassador". LOL!
FYI, there was a thread on the IU Rivals board earlier this week that mentioned WWW and Mike Woodson were tight. They practically crucified Cal and UK when Wes was seen hanging out around Lexington during the early years of the Calipari regime. But, don't seem to have a problem with him helping "direct" recruits to Bloomington. If that is even something he can still do.

NBA people aren’t allowed to pal around college programs- remember Jay-Z getting a $50,000 fine for visiting our lockerroom because he’s like a 3% owner of the Nets?

WWW and Cal are still tight. Read an article in the NY Post a couple months ago talking about how the Knicks surprise team came together and it spoke a lot about Wes’s relationship with Kentucky (Google it - great read). It was almost comical because he legit wants the Knicks to get all UK guys. He begged Leon Rose to take Quickley based on Cal.

NBA people aren’t allowed to pal around college programs- remember Jay-Z getting a $50,000 fine for visiting our lockerroom because he’s like a 3% owner of the Nets?

WWW and Cal are still tight. Read an article in the NY Post a couple months ago talking about how the Knicks surprise team came together and it spoke a lot about Wes’s relationship with Kentucky (Google it - great read). It was almost comical because he legit wants the Knicks to get all UK guys. He begged Leon Rose to take Quickley based on Cal.
Yeah I read that article. Wes was getting upset because nobody wanted to draft IQ, like pissed upset. Real good read.

edit: you got a link about the jay z fine? I don’t remember that.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow

He owned like 1/15th of one percent of the Nets.

Yeah I read that article. Wes was getting upset because nobody wanted to draft IQ, like pissed upset. Real good read.

edit: you got a link about the jay z fine? I don’t remember that.

I think it was 2011 - whenever we played in the tournament in Brooklyn - and chronicled in “Xxx in Paris” - “what’s $50,000 to me will you please remind me?”

Reactions: Drudis and SosaUK87
I think it was 2011 - whenever we played in the tournament in Brooklyn - and chronicled in “Xxx in Paris” - “what’s $50,000 to me will you please remind me?”

ohhh no ish? I had no clue that line was about that. That’s super cool.

Would it matter if WWW wasn't a minority owner in the Knicks or would UK still be off-limits to him simply because he's a employee of a NBA team?

Nobody wants to hang around with a 9-16 team or a team that has not been the " It team" and hasn't been you know for the last 5-6 years!

Id say LeBron has a big influence. After all he has been introducing HS players to agents and then pushing them to duke

I know he is with the Knicks in some official capacity...VP maybe? But, it seems he has fallen off the radar related to UK, Calipari and recruits. So, is there a reason for his absence away from the UK program?
Well, I think your first sentence answers your latter question. He landed a legit front office job as a Knicks executive, so he no longer needs to play backroom broker in the recruiting game.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT