ADVERTISEMENT

What happens to the Big XII?

I think if the ACC adds or loses a member it is legal grounds to renegotiate their ESPN contract. That in mind, I think WVU are soon invited to the ACC.

I think if the ACC adds or loses a member it is legal grounds to renegotiate their ESPN contract. That in mind, I think WVU are soon invited to the ACC.
WV brings nothing to the table. If they did, they would have been in ACC already. And the state is shedding people.

Adding WVU gives the new ACC commish an opportunity to renegotiate the ACC contract with ESPN. Not my favorite choice but it would rekindle some rivalry games with Pitt and VT.

The Fort Worth paper today says TCU's best option is to align with Texas Tech, Baylor and Oklahoma State and hopefully get invited to join PAC-12. This would give the PAC-12 a strong presence in Texas and four teams in the Central time zone, which would help with TV ratings.

TCU's second best option is to stay in the Big XII and try to make it work with some combination of the teams mentioned above. Another possible name for Big XII expansion is Boise State as a package deal with BYU.
Boise State, BYU, and Central Florida seem like obvious invites if they’re going to try to keep it together.

Boise State, BYU, and Central Florida seem like obvious invites if they’re going to try to keep it together.

Why Boise? They have no viewership, fans, and it’s in the middle of nowhere. It’s beautiful, and they have a blue turf. That’s basically it.

Why Boise? They have no viewership, fans, and it’s in the middle of nowhere. It’s beautiful, and they have a blue turf. That’s basically it.
There's a lot of truth to this observation. Their market is small in head count. However, their program does, I think, probably appeal to a large geographic area... not that it does much to excite the Mad Men.

Maybe you add them just as a curiosity, quality opponent, and strong candidate for post-season entry... because they better your profile on the field as a conference?

If you are struggling to stay relevant in P5 conversation, this might suffice?

Reactions: oddis500
There's a lot of truth to this observation. Their market is small in head count. However, their program does, I think, probably appeal to a large geographic area... not that it does much to excite the Mad Men.

Maybe you add them just as a curiosity, quality opponent, and strong candidate for post-season entry... because they better your profile on the field as a conference?

If you are struggling to stay relevant in P5 conversation, this might suffice?
True. And if you are desperate, like the L8 clearly are, it might be worth the gamble.

ADVERTISEMENT