ADVERTISEMENT

What happens to the Big XII?

FtWorthCat

Senior
Aug 21, 2001
Ft. Worth, TX
I think all remaining members would love to get invited to the PAC-12 or Big 10, but assuming that doesn't happen, I think the Big XII should add Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati and South Florida. That is four large markets, and it would get them into Ohio and Florida. With TCU in the D/FW market, that would give them a presence in some of the largest TV markets in the country.

Just guessing but KU and ISU to Big 10 (They are both AAU schools). WVU to ACC. Baylor, Texas Tech, OSU, and KSU to PAC 12. TCU to AAC. It’s fun to speculate with no knowledge or dog in the fight.

Man that would suck for TCU. They got screwed when the SWC dissolved. They worked their way back up through the MWC, CUSA and AAC to finally get back in a power conference, now this happens. They have a strong all around sports program, in addition to football. TCU is a national power in baseball, plus they are in a huge market. I hope they don't get left out again.

Last edited:
UCF is actually the largest school in florida. Gators are 5th, Seminoles 8th.
Another good football year and conference wheels will be turning.
Cincinatti, Houston and Memphis are all wanting a major conference.

I believe "dinosaurs" is likely the correct answer.

If Big XII survives it will probably add Houston, UCF (you guys convinced me they are more attractive than USF), Cincinnati and BYU.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I think they will try to survive, but its crucial they keep their remaining teams. I think they should try to get to at least 14 teams. Which means 6 teams need to come on board.

BYU, huge fanbase, but BB scheduling could be an issue

Cincy, strong football, good bb and want to be P5.

Houston, tried to get in when Herman was there.

Memphis, good FB and BB programs.

UCF, Been very strong in FB creats a Florida presence

Louisiana Laf. A strong program in a state that produces top athletes.

A couple other are Coastal Carolina, Liberty.

But would they still be considered a Power 5 conference?

Reactions: warrior-cat
I think they will try to survive, but its crucial they keep their remaining teams. I think they should try to get to at least 14 teams. Which means 6 teams need to come on board.

BYU, huge fanbase, but BB scheduling could be an issue

Cincy, strong football, good bb and want to be P5.

Houston, tried to get in when Herman was there.

Memphis, good FB and BB programs.

UCF, Been very strong in FB creats a Florida presence

Louisiana Laf. A strong program in a state that produces top athletes.

A couple other are Coastal Carolina, Liberty.

But would they still be considered a Power 5 conference?
No they wouldn’t be a Power 5 conference but an undefeated team from that conference would probably get an undeserved invitation to an expanded playoff unless they were specifically barred from participation.

Also, surely they will add SMU? BYU would have trouble getting in because of their code of conduct. Liberty has its own baggage.

No they wouldn’t be a Power 5 conference but an undefeated team from that conference would probably get an undeserved invitation to an expanded playoff unless they were specifically barred from participation.

Also, surely they will add SMU? BYU would have trouble getting in because of their code of conduct. Liberty has its own baggage.

Just teams I thought would be interested in moving up. Like you I dont think it is a P5 conference, but its would be a tougher football conference than the Pac12 and without CU better than the ACC.

Okie State may control the future. They are the most sought after team left. They can stay and be top dog or bolt to another league. The next Big 12 TV contract will be terrible.

If I'm OSU, I'm bolting.

Okie State may control the future. They are the most sought after team left. They can stay and be top dog or bolt to another league. The next Big 12 TV contract will be terrible.

If I'm OSU, I'm bolting.
The problem for them is half their roster is from Texas and they will not recruit Texas as well if they are in the PAC 12. And the PAC 12 has its own problems.

Just teams I thought would be interested in moving up. Like you I dont think it is a P5 conference, but its would be a tougher football conference than the Pac12 and without CU better than the ACC.
I mean, I would watch that conference play football.

The Fort Worth paper today says TCU's best option is to align with Texas Tech, Baylor and Oklahoma State and hopefully get invited to join PAC-12. This would give the PAC-12 a strong presence in Texas and four teams in the Central time zone, which would help with TV ratings.

TCU's second best option is to stay in the Big XII and try to make it work with some combination of the teams mentioned above. Another possible name for Big XII expansion is Boise State as a package deal with BYU.

I don't want to see anything positive happen to Cincinnati. We recruit some of the same players. The last thing UK needs is Cincinnati in a power 5 conference.

I think it's going to happen, they would accept an nvite today. The question is does the Big 10 want another team from Ohio or the want a larger footprint. So that leaves Clemson and the SEC if the SEC is really wanting 20 teams and a footprint in Ohio. Do you really think OSU or Mich would leave the Big10?

I think it's going to happen, they would accept an nvite today. The question is does the Big 10 want another team from Ohio or the want a larger footprint. So that leaves Clemson and the SEC if the SEC is really wanting 20 teams and a footprint in Ohio. Do you really think OSU or Mich would leave the Big10?
I tend to agree with you. I just don't like the potential outcome.

Not trying to be snark, but does it reall matter. It's all just going to change again anyway at this point and not sure to what end. Whats the point of conferences expanding and bringing bigger and better players if theres no one to compete with? If there's just two big conference left whats the point of having conferences?

The regionality is what made college sports special to me and thats being swept aside now for . . .not sure what. All I know is by the time all this kicks in the whole landscape will have changed again, thats what money does right.

Reactions: ukdesi
I like more schools. They give college football more character. I hope Big 12 stays and can lift a few schools up.

Colorado State.
UNLV
Utah State

Those are huge schools. If they could get a break they could bring in some money and variety to the sport.

I actually hope something good happens for Cincinnati. I’d like to see them in a P5 conference.
The Big12 could target them, It might hurt our recruiting in that area a bit if they take a step up the ladder though. But then again they may wind up with the same fate as Louisville when they decided to play big boy football.

To our former Big XII bretheren that stabbed us in the back and sided with Texas all those years ago, Goodbye P5 hello FCS. Total poetic justice, I'm glad we never have to worry about our place in P5..GOOO BIG RED!!!!

I think it will be Power 4 after it shakes out. Interesting info should come from PAC 12 next week as they are deciding whether to expand.

I doubt the top conferences add any of the B12 leftovers. It's a financial calculation. If a school doesn't project to bring in more TV revenue than they dilute from existing members, it ain't happening. I don't see where any of the schools not already in a P4 conference do that. OKSt wouldn't add much as OK controls the state. UC wouldn't add much that tOSU & ND (big in CIncy) don't already, KS is probably the best case of the remaining finance-wise.
I think you'll see B12 leftovers mix with some AAC members at a lower revenue level. Despite TX & OK getting outsized revenue shares in B12, they still helped the rest.

The remaining teams are really not a good regional fit for the other conferences, so I hope they pick up some additional member schools and stay together as a conference. They will obviously be weaker than the other conferences so remaining a P5 could be questionable.

Geographically, I like this shuffling, raiding the AAC and Mountain West, promoting their better members, but it won't happen:

Gulf Division

TCU
Baylor
Texas Tech
Houston
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
Memphis

Mountain Division

Boise State
Colorado State
Air Force
Nevada
Utah State
BYU
New Mexico

Would Colorado leave the Pac12 to join? Don't really fit in the West but probably cost them a ton of money.

Right now the Big10 and ACC are mirror images of each other, 1 dominant team and the rest are not any better than the best group of 5 teams. Miami, FSU, and UNC are recruiting better and starting to come back up, I realize PSU has the top class, or had, but will be lucky to be top 10 when all is said and done, the rest of BIG10 is group level. I think Cristobol at Oregon will get them playing at a higher level. I don't know if Helton has it in him to get SOCAL to a high level. But with a 4 team playoff, tOSU and CU have a cakewalk to the playoffs. Anyone from the SEC will have been in 4-5 wars during the season. That is what scares the alliance, 4-6 SEC teams getting in a 12 team playoff

The PAC leadership is short bus stupid…. They can’t manage their finances, don’t help develop any brand to draw or keep fans for their teams, concoct stupid schemes to sell private “ownership” to their conference, without there being actual rights attached.

but the dumbest is lap-dogging behind the B1G leadership. 12 team CFP is the only way the PAC is going to have teams sniff a play-off berth, but instead want to listen to their longtime boyfriend (B1G) when all the B1G wants to do is date the ACC

Reactions: Ineverplayedthegame
Geographically, I like this shuffling, raiding the AAC and Mountain West, promoting their better members, but it won't happen:

Gulf Division

TCU
Baylor
Texas Tech
Houston
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
Memphis

Mountain Division

Boise State
Colorado State
Air Force