ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to the Reds?

Dylan Floro traded to the Dodgers for two pitchers, I think 16th and 21st rated prospects in LA's farm system. I hope they hold off trading anymore this year at the July 31st non-waiver deadline, at least until the last day of the waiver trade deadline August 31st. I don't want to see team chemistry disrupted with players gone from the clubhouse. At least by August 31st, you'll know if you're in a race by then or can trade to a team where the players are still eligible for the postseason. Still have a lot to go and would be lucky to get in the wild card race. Joey Votto usually turns it up big time for historic 2nd half of each season so we have this to look forward to.

Last edited:
Reds president Dick Williams expects 'nice increase' in payroll for 2019

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...liams-expects-nice-increase-team-payroll-2019

We shall see... Hope building around doesn't mean going out and spending on free agents in the past such as another Eric Milton, Alex Gonzalez or Coco Cordero to name a few of dozen. Better think about signing Scooter, Raisel and even Harvey long term if he continues his roll.

Reactions: homeytheclown
Definitely need to sign Scooter. He’s a Cincinnati boy, will give his heart and soul to that team for years if given the chance. I know pitching has improved during this hot stretch, but they still need to upgrade a couple of rotation spots. I think Duvall is expendable. I would hate to lose Hamilton’s hustle and defense, but his hot streak he’s on lately will boost his trade stock.

What pitchers will be free agents at the end of the year that the Reds could realistically pursue that would improve their rotation?

The Reds won't be stocking the rotation with free agents this winter. They've been drafting starting pitching for several years now and last year just started promoting them to the majors. The bullpen is a different story.

I fully expect Harvey to get traded by the deadline, not that I agree with it. They cry poor with Votto's contract and Homer signed for 2 more years. So Harvey will surely be out of reach for their alligator arms.

Definitely need to sign Scooter. He’s a Cincinnati boy, will give his heart and soul to that team for years if given the chance. I know pitching has improved during this hot stretch, but they still need to upgrade a couple of rotation spots. I think Duvall is expendable. I would hate to lose Hamilton’s hustle and defense, but his hot streak he’s on lately will boost his trade stock.

What pitchers will be free agents at the end of the year that the Reds could realistically pursue that would improve their rotation?
Knowing the Reds the way I do, they'll spend it on some new bullshit gimmick inside the park to attract fans. Like I mentioned earlier, taking caring of our own should be their first priority instead of trading quality talent in a nonstop rebuild/fire sale rinse and repeat cycle. Homer returning to the rotation is horseshit. Wish they'd just bite the bullet and release him. His ass is going to get paid anyway. He's an instant loss taking away a valuable rotation spot from our promising prospects. He is damaged goods.

Last edited:
I'll tell you why there is a Homer update every game. He's become the whipping boy. Everyone is so sick of him, his injuries and Cueto getting traded instead for basically nothing. It's not gonna happen because of his whining but as soon as Harvey gets traded, I would promote Stephenson and let Homer rot in Louisville.

Reactions: homeytheclown
Guys, drop it. You’ve finished first TWO TIMES in over the last TWO DECADES in the division. This ain’t the big red machine anymore. It’s not going to be. Cincinnati is a “B” level city at best. No big free agents are trying to go hit dingers toward northern Kentucky for 8 years.

Guys, drop it. You’ve finished first TWO TIMES in over the last TWO DECADES in the division. This ain’t the big red machine anymore. It’s not going to be. Cincinnati is a “B” level city at best. No big free agents are trying to go hit dingers toward northern Kentucky for 8 years.
Go to the Pittsburgh or Milwaukee thread. Between them they've won the central once in 24 years. Reds have tripled their success.

You're a touching Cubs fan. Do you even know your history?

Holy shit.

I'll tell you why there is a Homer update every game. He's become the whipping boy. Everyone is so sick of him, his injuries and Cueto getting traded instead for basically nothing. It's not gonna happen because of his whining but as soon as Harvey gets traded, I would promote Stephenson and let Homer rot in Louisville.
I agree, Robert over Homer all day at this point. Still don't get his ERA below 3 in the 2nd half has been ignored.

You're a touching Cubs fan. Do you even know your history?

Holy shit.
It’s all about what have you done for me lately bud and Reds fans wear cargo shorts while making it to the LCS once in the last 25 years or something. I’m sure that’ll all turn around for a small market franchise like Cincinnati that gives away draft picks and stars alike for nothing.

Knowing Homer though, it won't be too long until he is back on the DL being so injury-plagued so even as stupid as it is to place him back in the Starting Rotation, I don't expect it to be long.

What an amazing turnaround by the Reds. Still a last place team but if they keep playing like this, STL and Pitt could get passed. Hope so, yet they've also been known to tank after the AS beak. But they do have several young players coming of age like Winker, Romano, Mahle and Garrett or guys coming around from other organizations like Duvall, Gennett, Peraza and Suarez.

Who would ever believe Jim Riggleman would have a winning record at the AS break as manager of the Reds, 40-38?

Taylor Trammell just won the MVP in the futures all star game.

That’s a good thing for the red legs!

Reactions: jameslee32
I'm an old fan who dropped out with the Strikes in the 90's. I can't argue numbers and stats, but I'm getting back into the Reds with this comeback mentality.

But if they swap Gennett, I'll be real damn pissed off.

I would imagine they trade their closer and if they get a really good offer they trade Harvey. You don’t need a closer to go .500. I think they like Harvey, and would be fine keeping him next year, but if you get an offer you can’t refuse you move on. Use the payroll increase to keep Gennett is priority 1.

I can't imagine the Reds will be getting such a great offer for Matt Harvey that will blow their doors down but it would not be the first time they traded quality arms away for little to nothing, i.e. Cueto, Chapman. The league still likely views Harvey as a risk, making him a cheap rental with his injury-riddled past to give up much of anything. Those same factors likely will be what keeps Harvey from getting a lucrative, long-term deal this offseason. Perhaps this could keep Harvey within the Reds budget range. Wishful thinking hoping he will not jet for a larger market with a chance to win now. I don't necessarily see a 1-year contract being the worst for Harvey if the market is skeptical on him. Another solid year proving himself would put him in better position for a lucrative contract. This season though, I can see Harvey being an August waiver trade deadline to get him more starts under his belt and more evidence he's reliable to sweeten any offer like Verlander to Houston last Aug.

In my personal opinion, waiting until August to make anymore moves would be the best approach I'd like to see for Cincinnati by not throwing the towel in yet on this team. Holding onto quality pieces seeing if this is a legit core group to build around going into next season. No one expects the Reds to climb back into the pennant race this season. Shooting for a winning season right now should be the goal with the team as is. You'll know if the right call was made in July if Cincinnati is still trending upwards by then. Should this roll they are on fall apart, it's still not to late to have kept open dialogue with any potential suitors for Harvey before September 1st. I assure teams will always still be looking to upgrade before September. Raisel Iglesias still has 2 years of team control on a friendly contract through 2020. No need to rush into trading him just yet.

The Reds would seem likely to get significantly more in return for Harvey than they paid for him. He has one of the greatest trading chips of all, a light contract which I think the Mets picked up in the neighborhood of 5.25 million. After having basically eaten the Mesoraco contract for $13 million it isn't so easy to let Bailey's guaranteed deal languish in Louisville.

I don't see them getting "significantly more" in return considering he's on an expiring contract who can walk at year's end to go along with his injury history. The Reds will get lowballed in trade offers as teams will use his past against him. He's better off trying to be kept on. No matter how well he's done in Cincinnati, we can't get in return what the Dark Knight would have hauled in around 2013.

Homer is signed through next year with a $5 million buyout in 2020. No way that option is picked up paying him $25 million in 2020. As I said, Homer is going to get paid regardless if they eat the money sooner or keep sending him out there every 5 games taking a valuable rotation spot from our prospects. I could not care less if he was pitching on Mars if I never saw him pitch again for the Reds. Given how the Reds in back to back seasons let BP go for nothing in return Atlanta while paying him $13 million and paying Mesoraco's $13 million, don't see what the difficult part about this for the organization to cut ties after the year given how they've blissfully wasted money recently. Reds don't even have room for Robert Stephenson after his great 2nd half.

Realistically, we all obviously know Homer is not going anywhere because this is the Reds we're talking about who screwed themselves paying him that much. It still makes zero sense for him to be on the roster after this season when you could be pitching a young prospect who's already under salary as well. As I said, he's going to be paid regardless. Firm believer in addition by subtraction.

Last edited:
With where the Reds are at they should really try to keep Harvey. His potential is limitless and based on history should be affordable for the Reds.

He could serve as the vet for the kids(Castillo, Mahle and Romano) as they grow. Maybe they aren’t going to be aces but they are young and proving to be solid.

Votto is serving the same purpose, though a lot better than Harvey, on the offensive side and those kids are playing some good ball.

I know it often sounds great to trade away and bring in a bunch of kids, but someone has to lead those kids.

With where the Reds are at they should really try to keep Harvey. His potential is limitless and based on history should be affordable for the Reds.

He could serve as the vet for the kids(Castillo, Mahle and Romano) as they grow. Maybe they aren’t going to be aces but they are young and proving to be solid.

Votto is serving the same purpose, though a lot better than Harvey, on the offensive side and those kids are playing some good ball.

I know it often sounds great to trade away and bring in a bunch of kids, but someone has to lead those kids.
I agree, all for keeping Harvey around as a veteran pitcher who has been on the big stage in the World Series. These young pitchers need an effective leader by example and he is performing as such on the field. Seemingly left any baggage off the field in New York and deserved the slate clean here with a new team as they have given him. Should he stay true to his current form, Cincinnati truly lucked into an Ace. Hope they take care of Scooter & Harvey this offseason,

I can't imagine the Reds will be getting such a great offer for Matt Harvey that will blow their doors down but it would not be the first time they traded quality arms away for little to nothing, i.e. Cueto, Chapman. The league still likely views Harvey as a risk, making him a cheap rental with his injury-riddled past to give up much of anything. Those same factors likely will be what keeps Harvey from getting a lucrative, long-term deal this offseason. Perhaps this could keep Harvey within the Reds budget range. Wishful thinking hoping he will not jet for a larger market with a chance to win now. I don't necessarily see a 1-year contract being the worst for Harvey if the market is skeptical on him. Another solid year proving himself would put him in better position for a lucrative contract. This season though, I can see Harvey being an August waiver trade deadline to get him more starts under his belt and more evidence he's reliable to sweeten any offer like Verlander to Houston last Aug.

In my personal opinion, waiting until August to make anymore moves would be the best approach I'd like to see for Cincinnati by not throwing the towel in yet on this team. Holding onto quality pieces seeing if this is a legit core group to build around going into next season. No one expects the Reds to climb back into the pennant race this season. Shooting for a winning season right now should be the goal with the team as is. You'll know if the right call was made in July if Cincinnati is still trending upwards by then. Should this roll they are on fall apart, it's still not to late to have kept open dialogue with any potential suitors for Harvey before September 1st. I assure teams will always still be looking to upgrade before September. Raisel Iglesias still has 2 years of team control on a friendly contract through 2020. No need to rush into trading him just yet.

Harvey is under contract for next year.

I think they like Harvey, and would be fine keeping him next year, but if you get an offer you can’t refuse you move on. Use the payroll increase to keep Gennett is priority 1.

Yes, verily.

Holding onto quality pieces seeing if this is a legit core group to build around going into next season.

I haven't tried to follow baseball in a long time, and I know the Reds have limited resources available.

But, just using an uneducated eye on the team, it looks like a strong 3-5 year core in Votto, Suarez, Gennett and maybe Barnhardt and the big outfielder.

Matt Harvey and Gennett are in an interesting spot. Harvey might actually like a small market. I suspect he can go to dinner without half of Cincinnati trying to sit in his lap. When real young, I might have enjoyed the BS of New York, for like 6 months, but how long would that take to wear thin.

If everybody can keep their damn heads, and if Scooter and Harvey want to be a long term Red, surely Cincy can keep 'em both happy.

I hope they stand pat for the time being. If you can go 18-8, after starting 25-45, then you can finish the second half and [hell, who knows] look for a WC. It likely won't happen, but this team has shown enough spunk for a month or more to give them their shot.

Watching that dugout empty out in the 9th inning while scoring 7 on the Tribe with two outs said something to me. They looked like a team having fun.

Oh, and I looked at the list of the 17 players who have hit 4 homers in a single major league game . . . . only two names rang a bell for me . . . . Lou . . . . Lou . . . . was it . . . . Gehrig . . . . and Scooter Gennett.

There's something about Gennett that makes me think he would have fit in real well with the BRM.

It’s all about what have you done for me lately bud and Reds fans wear cargo shorts while making it to the LCS once in the last 25 years or something.

I have a friendly goat for sale . . . . likes popcorn, and sits as still as a 5 year old, with three cups of coffee in him.

I have heard of the Cubs. What is it now since 1908 . . . . one Series? That Big Market is flexing it's muscles after 100 plus years!

At least the dumb bast@rd that went over the rail for the foul ball a few years back is off the frickin' hook.

Harvey is under contract for next year.
False! Try again.
DiVPZRhV4AASR7m.jpg

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/cincinnati-reds/matt-harvey-11063/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...est-news-and-rumors-on-negotiations-with-mets

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/harvema01.shtml

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...t-class-bryce-harper-manny-machado/585368001/

Sorry, I was confusing him with Gennett. Read some trade stuff the other day. Thanks for correcting me..........4 times.
You are quite welcome! I usually tend to try and get my facts straight before attempting to prove others wrong. No need to be petty and offended for being wrong because I provided multiple links backing my post....I could've posted more.

Last edited:
Yes, verily.

I haven't tried to follow baseball in a long time, and I know the Reds have limited resources available.

But, just using an uneducated eye on the team, it looks like a strong 3-5 year core in Votto, Suarez, Gennett and maybe Barnhardt and the big outfielder.

Matt Harvey and Gennett are in an interesting spot. Harvey might actually like a small market. I suspect he can go to dinner without half of Cincinnati trying to sit in his lap. When real young, I might have enjoyed the BS of New York, for like 6 months, but how long would that take to wear thin.

If everybody can keep their damn heads, and if Scooter and Harvey want to be a long term Red, surely Cincy can keep 'em both happy.

I hope they stand pat for the time being. If you can go 18-8, after starting 25-45, then you can finish the second half and [hell, who knows] look for a WC. It likely won't happen, but this team has shown enough spunk for a month or more to give them their shot.

Watching that dugout empty out in the 9th inning while scoring 7 on the Tribe with two outs said something to me. They looked like a team having fun.

Oh, and I looked at the list of the 17 players who have hit 4 homers in a single major league game . . . . only two names rang a bell for me . . . . Lou . . . . Lou . . . . was it . . . . Gehrig . . . . and Scooter Gennett.

There's something about Gennett that makes me think he would have fit in real well with the BRM.
You're onto something about this team enjoying themselves being vital during this run. Haven't seen Votto have this much fun his entire career with the Reds. Billy is the heartbeat of this team and his energy has become infectious across the clubhouse. I feel like team chemistry is underrated as much as any factor in winning. Sometimes moving a player who is beloved by his teammates can back fire as an organization tries to better themselves. Need Homer to learn to sacrifice for the betterment of the team like all of our Outfielders have done in a rotation. Pissing and moaning about a move to the bullpen that never happened showed how much of a team player he is getting paid $21 million to instantly lose ball games as a starter for us. I applaud Garrett, Iglesias & Lorenzen all accepting their roles asked of them moving to the pen for this team after struggling stints as starters.

Last edited:
Lorenzen all accepting their roles asked of them moving to the pen for this team after struggling stints as starters.

I swear, I'd throw Lorenzen out there with the bases loaded every chance I got as a pinch hitter. He's a damn Bull!

First pitcher to pinch-hit a Grand Slam since '53!

You're onto something about this team enjoying themselves being vital during this run. Haven't seen Votto have this much fun his entire career with the Reds. Billy is the heartbeat of this team and his energy has become infectious across the clubhouse. I feel like team chemistry is underrated as much as any factor in winning. Sometimes moving a player who is beloved by his teammates can back fire as an organization tries to better themselves. Need Homer to learn to sacrifice for the betterment of the team like all of our Outfielders have done in a rotation. Pissing and moaning about a move to the bullpen that never happened showed how much of a team player he is getting paid $21 million to instantly lose ball games as a starter for us. I applaud Garrett, Iglesias & Lorenzen all accepting their roles asked of them moving to the pen for this team after struggling stints as starters.
If Iglesias gets traded I wouldn’t mind seeing Garret get a shot at closer. When he comes in for one inning he’s lights out but once he gets to that second frame he takes a nosedive. I think he has closer stuff though.

ADVERTISEMENT