ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to the Reds?

About 3/4 of the teams in baseball really have no chance of competing for a championship. It rotates between the big markets. Moreso than any other sport because of the way the salary cap is structured. St. Louis is one exception. Other small market teams that have competed, like the royals, win one every 30 years or so.

The reds have just managed to suck a little more than teams like the twins, indians, rockies, dbacks, A's, brewers, pirates, etc.

There are 30 teams in the majors so 1-30 is about right. Cal Angels should have all the $ necessary to compete, but have never won a playoff game in the MIke Trout era, which is amazing.

Back to the Reds, at 2-13 they are off to their worst start since 1931, and in fact the worst start of any franchise in the major leagues since 2015. I mean, that is so bad it is . . . [roll]

I go to a lot of bats games. hererra (OF) and Stephenson (sp) both look really good. Stephenson was pitching at 95 mph and had a terrific curve ball. Struck out 14 in last game out.

I go to a lot of bats games. hererra (OF) and Stephenson (sp) both look really good. Stephenson was pitching at 95 mph and had a terrific curve ball. Struck out 14 in last game out.

Stephenson has been given chances at the MLB level, just hasn't produced. Looks like he will get another chance soon.

At this point they’ve gotta get anything they can for Mesoraco this year. Iglesias is a huge chip and an unneeded luxury (a really good, cheap closer on this team is a waste). Gennett’s value may not get any higher as well and I think he has one more arbitration year.

Love what we did with the Barnhart and Suarez contracts.

At this point they’ve gotta get anything they can for Mesoraco this year. Iglesias is a huge chip and an unneeded luxury (a really good, cheap closer on this team is a waste). Gennett’s value may not get any higher as well and I think he has one more arbitration year.

Love what we did with the Barnhart and Suarez contracts.
I'm sure I'm stating the obvious here in my post. Rest assured Raisel Iglesias won't be on the Cincinnati Reds roster come July 31st. The Reds would bust a gut if they did not trade a quality player at the deadline. Iglesias is the best trade chip they have to offer. It's well-known Votto is going nowhere with that contract. Also, has stated numerous times he wants to stay. He has those 10-5 rights to block trades to a number of teams.

I agree on Barnhart and Suarez getting paid. Both very dependable, still think we've yet to see the ceiling with Suarez. Barnhart has turned into a serviceable hitter, power by no means but a top defensive catcher in the game.

If DeSclafani and Finnegan continue to get hurt, might be time to convert them into relievers. Guys such as Brandon Morrow, Andrew Miller, Wade Davis were not productive SP but have been highly successful relievers. Even our own Iglesias, flashes of brilliance as a starter but after the shoulder strengthening program, multiple injuries have turned himself into a good reliever.

Last edited:
Reactions: santamaria78
As a St. Louis fan, I thank the Reds for the 4 easy wins this weekend. We needed them.

They should have kept lucky charm Schottzie when they got rid of Marge. It has been downhill since.

B9316682271Z.1_20150325181048_000_G4HA9GUTR.1-0.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't read through this thread but if it has already been said...my apologies...What's wrong with the Reds?...travel back to November 1978...you'll find your answer...

I haven't read through this thread but if it has already been said...my apologies...What's wrong with the Reds?...travel back to November 1978...you'll find your answer...
On Dec. 5, Pete Rose was signed by the Phillies. BUT......

On Dec.16, 1976 the Reds traded Tony Perez to the Expos for Woody Fryman and with it signaled the end of the BRM.

Reactions: Big_Blue_Blaster
On Dec. 5, Pete Rose was signed by the Phillies. BUT......

On Dec.16, 1976 the Reds traded Tony Perez to the Expos for Woody Fryman and with it signaled the end of the BRM.
My low water mark for the Reds was the firing of Sparky...but I won't argue with you regarding Tony...just another example of a stupid organization IMO.

Reactions: akers65

Stephenson struck out 10 in his last game out. He has 14 over his first 2 games. Great outing, either way. His first outing was not. 5 ER in 5.1 IP.

Reactions: santamaria78
Robert Stephenson pitched solid as well as Sal Romano in the 2nd half last year. Once the Reds stretched Stephenson back into a SP after a stint in the bullpen, he came back from Louisville and had solid results. I'd have given the roster spot to Robert over Cody Reed who has yet to impress me so far. Stephenson had a 2.22 ERA in August, 2.77 in September for a combined 10 starts. I'd dispute that he's never shown anything on this level for the Reds.

I worry about complacency for a guy like Stephenson stuck in the minors. Heard Chris Welsh echo the same sentiment in a broadcast last year after I thought that myself regarding Stephenson and when Amir Garrett was stuck in AAA Louisville. Can't be too far off on that assumption if the Reds TV Analyst believes the same and is around this organization on a daily basis.

Last edited:
Offense looked nice tonight vs a winning Braves team right now.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/ex-reds-manager-bryan-price-issues-statement/c-273531988

"It is with tremendous gratitude and appreciation for the 8+ years spent as a member of the Cincinnati Reds organization that I bid adieu to so many wonderful friends and co-workers. I wish Jim Riggleman great success as he takes the reins of the club, and send a heartfelt thank you to a cherished group of players, coaches, trainers and clubhouse family that stayed connected, worked tirelessly together and who collectively faced challenging times head on. Many of the best people I have known in my life are, or have been, members of the Reds family. I will continue pulling for the Reds from my home in Arizona and am sure to follow the career paths of each and every current and former Red in the years to follow. Thank you to the ownership group, led by Bob Castellini, for giving me the privilege of managing such a storied franchise. And a special thanks to dear friend Walt Jocketty, who brought me to Cincinnati back in the fall of 2009. My wife, Judy, and I are grateful for our years in Cincinnati and for the outpouring of friendship and support offered through our time in the Queen City. My best wishes to the Cincinnati Reds and to everyone in Reds Country."

-- Bryan Price

Baseball fans out there, what happened to the Reds organization? I've been a Reds fan all my life, only 22, and they just suck every year. My Dad tells me about the Big Red Machine years or the Nasty Boys all the time. How even the Oakland A's and Yankees couldn't stop those teams. Is it an ownership problem??

$$$

The Reds were good when players didn't make much relative to what the teams were bringing in (revenue). That is no longer the case.
Being one of the smaller markets (ticket sales, merchandise, TV revenue), they simply have a tough time competing financially. Doesn't mean you can't compete, just means you have to do a better job making player decisions and developing players. Maybe bite the bullet and suck extra bad for a few years trading away all your top players to get prospects. So clearly they haven't had good consistent management the past 25-30 years (GMs).

ps: I've never liked the Reds.

He looked good to me late last year. Idk why he wasn't picked over Mahle or Finnegan.
I'm wrong about Mahle. He finished up well last year and has found his rhythm this year. Looks like a keeper for sure.

The Reds seem to have stopped the bleeding also.

Reactions: rudd1
$$$

The Reds were good when players didn't make much relative to what the teams were bringing in (revenue). That is no longer the case.
Being one of the smaller markets (ticket sales, merchandise, TV revenue), they simply have a tough time competing financially. Doesn't mean you can't compete, just means you have to do a better job making player decisions and developing players. Maybe bite the bullet and suck extra bad for a few years trading away all your top players to get prospects. So clearly they haven't had good consistent management the past 25-30 years (GMs).

ps: I've never liked the Reds.
Small market talk is just excuses. Same when the Cardinals say it. I hate it when Mazoliak talks that nonsense.

It's about making the right moved during and post draft and hiring capable people to run your organization. The Reds are simply in a crappy football city and aren't a threat in free agency. Then they hire dumbasses like Dusty Baker.

What do Reds fans expect?

Small market talk is just excuses. Same when the Cardinals say it. I hate it when Mazoliak talks that nonsense.

It's about making the right moved during and post draft and hiring capable people to run your organization. The Reds are simply in a crappy football city and aren't a threat in free agency. Then they hire dumbasses like Dusty Baker.

What do Reds fans expect?
Well at least we are a football city rapidly becoming a soccer city as well.

Cincinatti is just a crappy sports city. Only Cleveland has more boring franchises. Thanks Bron
With all due respect, easy to judge right now professionally in the 2 majors. But there's far too much to ignore with soccer or college basketball and of course you are clueless to the following HS sports has in these parts. Only SF, Philadelphia and Houston need to brag right now anyway and I live near none of them. I'm good though thanks, even though I haven't followed prep sports in decades.

With all due respect, easy to judge right now professionally in the 2 majors. But there's far too much to ignore with soccer or college basketball and of course you are clueless to the following HS sports has in these parts. Only SF, Philadelphia and Houston need to brag right now anyway and I live near none of them. I'm good though thanks, even though I haven't followed prep sports in decades.

You lost me.

Cincinnati sucks.

If you handle it well awesome. At least you have UK.

As far as soccer goes, I’ve got a clean diaper to change on my 1 year old. I don’t do poor third world sport that consist of only a ball and some dirt.

Reactions: kev69
You lost me.

Cincinnati sucks.

As far as soccer goes, I’ve got a clean diaper to change on my 1 year old. I don’t do poor third world sport that consist of only a ball and some dirt.
Not the sports mecca of STL but we'll manage. But I hear Ferguson is rapidly improving though. Kudos.

Reactions: morgousky
You lost me.

Cincinnati sucks.

I would rather watch mice fornicate than to watch soccer. It is the worst so called sport in history.
Chess, bowling, and badminton seem exciting compared to it.

The only time I watch soccer is when I can’t fall asleep. 45 seconds of it and I’m in a coma.
Better than Ambien.

Last edited:
Reactions: morgousky
Not the sports mecca of STL but we'll manage. But I hear Ferguson is rapidly improving though. Kudos.

I totally apologize for my post. I actually changed my mind and will support the Reds if the cardinals are not playing. Cincinatti is an awesome city and apparantly the people are super nice. Really like the stadium too, looks incredible.

Always did like Pete Rose.

I would rather watch mice fornicate than to watch soccer. It is the worst so called sport in history.
Chess, bowling, and badminton seem exciting compared to it.

Rugby is way better than soccer. Cant believe anyone would like soccer if youre from America.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT