ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to the Reds?

Pizza Slice

Blue Chip Prospect
Aug 31, 2017
Baseball fans out there, what happened to the Reds organization? I've been a Reds fan all my life, only 22, and they just suck every year. My Dad tells me about the Big Red Machine years or the Nasty Boys all the time. How even the Oakland A's and Yankees couldn't stop those teams. Is it an ownership problem??

I'm lucky enough that my early boyhood days, when baseball was everything, I got to see Frank Robinson and Vada Pinson patrolling the outfield in Crosley Field and my teenage years were corresponded exactly with the Big Red Machine years of Bench-Rose-Morgan-Perez, the greatest NL team in history. You can be a Reds fan for the next 200 years and they will never be that good again.

Yeah they blow. The one thing we have going for us op, is it's a good omen when the reds lose on opening day. I always root for them to lose and they seem to be better. Maybe we only lose 85 games

Reactions: Pizza Slice
Better looking bench and bullpen maybe but oh, the starting pitching. Although Homer was solid today, dey bad. Dey cheap. But dey can hit some home runs too.

I'm lucky enough that my early boyhood days, when baseball was everything, I got to see Frank Robinson and Vada Pinson patrolling the outfield in Crosley Field and my teenage years were corresponded exactly with the Big Red Machine years of Bench-Rose-Morgan-Perez, the greatest NL team in history. You can be a Reds fan for the next 200 years and they will never be that good again.
Concepcion, Foster, Griffey Sr. I learned my slide into the base from Pete Rose. Never learned it any other way. Still do it that way to this day at 60.

Baseball might be well served to divide into upper and lower leagues, much like soccer and rugby leagues do. Have a Premier league with big money, big market teams like Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Cubs. Have a Champions league with small market teams like Reds, Padres, Rays, Pirates. Then at the end of the season have relegation and promotion, where the worst finisher in upper, and best finisher in lower, switch leagues.

Maybe then The Reds can compete.

Today what is wrong with them is the fact that they forgot they were small market and hired an awful GM who likes to gut the farm for the big league club.

Just a few years ago they had possibly the best or most talented team in the playoffs.

To get there though they made a few awful decisions by trading for Mat Latos which they gave up a ton for including Grandal and Alonso both who start today for teams competing for a World Series.

They also decided to keep Votto when Alonso was a cheaper and very effective replacement, which votto has a contract that crippled a small market team.

Add to that they went with Homer Bailey over Cueto/Mike Leake.

They waited too long to move BP.

They gave up Jay Bruce and never really helped him improve the holes in his swing anyway.

On top of all of that they have drafted terribly.

So in the end they gutted the farm, signed the wrong big money contracts, then didn’t get great return on their talent they traded away.

Today what is wrong with them is the fact that they forgot they were small market and hired an awful GM who likes to gut the farm for the big league club.

Just a few years ago they had possibly the best or most talented team in the playoffs.

To get there though they made a few awful decisions by trading for Mat Latos which they gave up a ton for including Grandal and Alonso both who start today for teams competing for a World Series.

They also decided to keep Votto when Alonso was a cheaper and very effective replacement, which votto has a contract that crippled a small market team.

Add to that they went with Homer Bailey over Cueto/Mike Leake.

They waited too long to move BP.

They gave up Jay Bruce and never really helped him improve the holes in his swing anyway.

On top of all of that they have drafted terribly.

So in the end they gutted the farm, signed the wrong big money contracts, then didn’t get great return on their talent they traded away.
Don't forget the nepotism at Vice Chairman, President, GM, Clubhouse Operations and the TV broadcast booth among the higher profile hires over the years. The new GM came from Wall Street as the son of the chairman and minority owner.

Last edited:
Reactions: gollumcat
Don't forget the nepotism at Vice Chairman, President, GM, Clubhouse Operations and the TV broadcast booth among the higher profile hires over the years. The GM was hired 2 or 3 years ago from Wall Street as the son of the chairman and minority owner.

Agreed . Thom Brennaman is unlistenable to a Reds announcer.

Reactions: Big_Blue_Blaster
They really haven't been shit since Marge Schott kept getting in trouble for her comments and getting banned, ultimately selling the team to Carl Lindner which was the beginning of the end. Bob Castellini is a piss poor executive in a small market. Don't even get me started on Jock Strap. Spend money upgrading a ballpark with gimmicks each year thinking that will draw in a crowd. Investing in talent would be a smarter use of money and you'll acquire that revenue back in ticket/merchandise sales when you decide to put a product on the field worth watching for the fans. Cincinnati gets a core young group of talent, then have a fire sale follow by another rebuild. Rinse and repeat cycle. The dynamics of the Reds market will never allow them to be the big spenders on the Free Agent market. I've said my piece a thousand times on them on this board. I'll still support my Reds, watch every game, spend money at games but I can't allow myself to get upset anymore over anything this franchise does and get my blood pressure up.

Reds are conservative with prospects. Votto should have been called up in 2006 when Sean Casey was dealt instead of an '07 September call up. Frazier was like a 26 year old rookie. How long do we have to wait on Nick Senzel? I think much of Robert Stephenson & Amir Garrett's issues have been complacency in the minors. They rose through the ranks of the minors with ease and for a team in development, I believe playing the top prospects is key to bringing the future now rather than delayed. They may never pan out but refuse to believe yet it's over for them. Garrett pitched too well before he was optioned, came back, got hurt and was never the same. Romano and Stephenson pitched strong to finish 2017 off.

Out of Mike Leake, Aroldis Chapman, Johnny Cueto, Jay Bruce, Brandon Phillips among others Adam Duvall has been the only real return back. I'm aware BP was aging and pricey but the dumb ass Reds still ate $13 of $14 million of his salary when he was dealt to the Braves. Schebler still has a chance to prove his worth, I see a ceiling of Bruce with him and a floor of Wily Mo Pena worse case scenario. If Anthony DeSclafani & Brandon Finnegan can ever get healthy, consider it a bonus. Let Zack Cozart walk in free agency when he could have been traded for "prospects".

Absolutely love Bryan Price's strategy benching our All-Star OF Adam Duvall for the season opener. :rolleyes: I get lefty/righty splits but I'm not down with benching a 30 HR/100 RBI All-Star when you eventually have Duvall PH against a righty in a key situation later in the same game. Today it was Billy removing the speed of the fastest guy in the majors as well as a great CF glove. I want Price to succeed, any manager who can drop 77 F-Bombs in one interview is hilarious but this is one of many bonehead moves he's made. He hasn't been dealt a good hand but the Reds have supported him through the early injury plagued seasons of his tenure, through the eventual fire sale and now another rebuild.

I'll give them this much, hell of a finding plucking Scooter off the waiver wire last year.

10 years ago I'd been excited to have signed Yovani Gallardo. He can hit for a pitcher though lol Hope he's at least serviceable.

Last edited:
Let's see. During this "rebuild" they're on, here's who they received for their 4 big trade assets:

Todd Frazier:
- Jose Peraza
- Scott Schebler
- Brandon Dixon

Johnny Cueto
- John Lamb (Since gone)
- Cody Reed
- Brandon Finnegan

Jay Bruce
- Dilson Herrera
- Max Wotell

Aroldis Chapman
- Eric Jagielo
- Caleb Cotham
- Rookie Davis
- Tony Renda

Meanwhile, the Yankees traded Chapman 7 months later and received 4 studs from the Cubs.

- Dilson Herrera
Actually played parts 2 years on the Mets Active Roster, '14 & '15. We've yet to see this man one time, not even in September Roster Call-Ups. Such a joke they got no return but I guess if you ask the experts in that 1,000 page thread "Jay Bruce Sucks" then they'd consider it a wash. I liked Bruce and I know I'm in the vast minority on this board.

Last edited:
I think it has more to do with their fans all wearing cargo shorts, cut off T-shirt’s and white tennis shoes.

I know a lot of people will disagree but getting rid of Dusty Baker was a bad decision in my opinion. He made a dumpster fire of a team into a competitor. Reds fans got a taste of success and wanted more. Now we're trash again.

I know a lot of people will disagree but getting rid of Dusty Baker was a bad decision in my opinion. He made a dumpster fire of a team into a competitor. Reds fans got a taste of success and wanted more. Now we're trash again.

Nah, Dusty is a good manager with a team built to win. See those Giants, Cubs, Reds, and Nats teams he managed.

As others have mentioned, terrible drafting, some bad contracts and some poor trades. They’ve also been underwhelming in pursuit of free agents. So, in general, poor management. Which is a shame, because Cincy is actually a good baseball town.

That Bailey contract has been a killer. And while they probably can’t “afford” Votto, he’s at least performed to that contract to this point. But they have basically whiffed at every personnel decision.

I love the Reds, but at this point (which is sad because it’s only April 10th) they should start paying fans to come to the games. They won’t win 60 games this year.

I love the Reds, but at this point (which is sad because it’s only April 10th) they should start paying fans to come to the games. They won’t win 60 games this year.

Attendance has fallen 5 years in a row, and 2018 is a solid bet to fall again. They are beyond pitiful.

Is it the manager? Front office? If you looked at the lineup on paper you would think they could at least field a competitive team. I’m about done with Brian Price myself. Honestly hope they fire him sooner rather than later. The amount of injuries, especially to the pitching staff is inexcusable. No other team has that kind of string of injuries to pitchers.

Way to go Reds! Business as usual! Playing .100 baseball right now! Not even playing around duping us fans into a fast start and fizzing out by mid-June, just getting right at it.

DayQkDbVQAITBT-.jpg

Last edited:
Ive seen people at the gates just get the bobble heads and leave too. Why does anyone care about a bobble head? What a do people do with bobble heads?
Collectors I guess. Idk. I have Harang and Chapman but didn't know I was getting one until entering the stadium.
I'm roughly 2 feet from a shelf full of stadium give away Reds Bobbleheads. I have 4 autographed Aaron Harang, 4 Barry Larkin, 4 Sean Casey, 1 Joey Votto, 4 Wily Mo Pena, 1 Adam Dunn, 1 Ken Griffey Jr, 4 Brandon Phillips, 1 Bronson Arroyo, 1 Billy Hamilton and 3 of the Jonny Gomes Gnome. I too have watched people turn away from the gate after receiving the item. Get a 10 dollar bleacher ticket and away you go. You'll always see people selling these on ebay even before the game ends.

I've gotten Brandon Phillips, Ken Griffey Jr & Joey Votto mesh jerseys. I love baseball card give away night. My multiple collections came from family being with me to get the items.

DayoMweVMAAEva1.jpg

Billy Hamilton is not shown, no room for it and was the newest.

Last edited:
Well , I used to make fun of the Cubs when they were perennials of ineptitude. I can’t make fun of Reds fans. I respect y’all too much and you deserve better than that product your organization is fielding this season.

About 3/4 of the teams in baseball really have no chance of competing for a championship. It rotates between the big markets. Moreso than any other sport because of the way the salary cap is structured. St. Louis is one exception. Other small market teams that have competed, like the royals, win one every 30 years or so.

The reds have just managed to suck a little more than teams like the twins, indians, rockies, dbacks, A's, brewers, pirates, etc.

The Reds haven’t fully decided on their plan going forward and it just makes things worse long-term. In their market size, once you decide to tear it down you have to take it down to the studs... but they refuse.

Reactions: rudd1
Is it the manager? Front office? If you looked at the lineup on paper you would think they could at least field a competitive team. I’m about done with Brian Price myself. Honestly hope they fire him sooner rather than later. The amount of injuries, especially to the pitching staff is inexcusable. No other team has that kind of string of injuries to pitchers.

In pro sports it's always the front office including ownership. Bad front office, bad product on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT