ADVERTISEMENT

What ever we do during this time, Make SURE we Feed the children

The much feared and prophesied end of society has not occurred, at least in my neck of the woods.

I am closely connected with law enforcement, social services and the Court system.

In my relatively rural and lower-middle-class region, everyone has been pretty cool, so far. Property crimes, domestic violence, etc, seem to have slowed, and the meth-heads are keeping a lower profile than usual: they are now surrounded by folks 24 hours a day who are usually on the road to a job for half a day.

In my little neck of the woods, there seems to be an unspoken truce where everyone understands that f$&king around with neighbors, etc., might be a more dangerous activity than normal.

And the rural school systems are delivering food, daily to rural impoverished, and their families can come pick it up w/o serious scrutiny.

The much feared and prophesied end of society has not occurred, at least in my neck of the woods.

I am closely connected with law enforcement, social services and the Court system.

In my relatively rural and lower-middle-class region, everyone has been pretty cool, so far. Property crimes, domestic violence, etc, seem to have slowed, and the meth-heads are keeping a lower profile than usual: they are now surrounded by folks 24 hours a day who are usually on the road to a job for half a day.

In my little neck of the woods, there seems to be an unspoken truce where everyone understands that f$&king around with neighbors, etc., might be a more dangerous activity than normal.

And the rural school systems are delivering food, daily to rural impoverished, and their families can come pick it up w/o serious scrutiny.
great comment about us now, serious.

How many of you have gone to bed hungry?
(that is rhetorical) [too many, is the correct answer]

I can honestly say I’ve never missed a meal I wanted. In my home county old-timers insist there was no hunger in the depth of the Depression. As a child in the 1960’s, I saw my Mom and Dad raise a huge garden, just to give half or more of it away, pre-food stamps. I would bitch about planting 120 tomato plants in May, and say “there’s no way we can eat 1,000 tomatoes,” and my parents would not respond.

I was likely 35 years old when I realized what had really gone on, and I had ample opportunity to express appreciation to my folks for how they and other farm families had insured those less fortunate had food.

Gardens use to be a staple to any landscape view in Owensboro for me growing up. Now, they are novel.

In those days, "who has the biggest tomatoes?" was conversation subjects.
In my earliest memories was how things "store bought" were less in value.

Last edited:
[And sometimes we talk about garden produce, too!]
I have always thought the size of a persons tomatoes was less threatening if ya don't talk about yours.
ba39cd34-ec3f-4ba4-b601-c98c804f2c4e.jpg

Don't be afraid to show them, just don't brag.

Last edited:
Any body got a story about people feeding the children in today's environment in the USA?
I need some inspiration

Well, those on disability and many on social programs got stimulus money, though, frankly, their economic condition had not worsened due to unemployment.

Our schools and “resource centers” are pumping out prepared meals, both delivered and pick up, to the very families for whom you have concerns.

Frankly, the only childhood hunger I have seen (since 1972) in a County that ranks in the bottom quadrant of the nation for affluence has been as a result of parents too drunk or stoned to either (1) seek assistance, or (2) who squandered the assistance for liquor or drugs. Many DNA cases (dependency, neglect or abuse) are for these reasons, and the majority of cabinet workers time is responding to issues where parents are too stoned/drunk/stupid/selfish to provide for the kids.

We have approximately 500 percent more cabinet workers in my home county than we had when I began practicing in 1988.

Childhood hunger is very rare, today, because of the prevalence of police, social workers and “resource centers” connected to all schools in rural areas, that provide food, toothpaste, toilet paper, etc., etc., to basically anyone who asks for it.

Childhood hunger is very rare, today, because of the prevalence of police, social workers and “resource centers” connected to all schools in rural areas, that provide food, toothpaste, toilet paper, etc., etc., to basically anyone who asks for it.
I wish that was true state and nationwide.
It is not.
Regardless of your parents stupidity, you should not go to bed hungry.
It is just a sore point for me about people.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
I wish that was a true state and nationwide.
It is not.

I can’t speak for Jefferson County, but Visitor, my friend, I am a lifelong Democrat, and the growth of protections for our young folk and food supply has been exponential since Nixon’s War on Hunger, and LBJ’s War on Poverty.

The only complaint I’ve heard regarding the “system” in my neighborhood is that one family keeps hitting up the school cafeteria for about twice the number of meals they could reasonably eat. I do a lot of work in Family Court, and both adult and childhood obesity among the poor is a serious concern. In 32 years of practice, in 5 Central Kentucky counties, as both a prosecutor and defense attorney, I’ve seen one failed prosecution against a Mom for intentionally denying her child proper nourishment, and damn near undertook her defense, as she had a good one (to be distinguished from the stoned/drunk Mom’s).

If you have a concern with a family, a neighborhood, or anything, call the local cabinet, or the local KSP post. It will be addressed, promptly.

I can’t speak for Jefferson County, but Visitor, my friend, I am a lifelong Democrat, and the growth of protections for our young folk and food supply has been exponential since Nixon’s War on Hunger, and LBJ’s War on Poverty.

The only complaint I’ve heard regarding the “system” in my neighborhood is that one family keeps hitting up the school cafeteria for about twice the number of meals they could reasonably eat. I do a lot of work in Family Court, and both adult and childhood obesity among the poor is a serious concern. In 32 years of practice, in 5 Central Kentucky counties, as both a prosecutor and defense attorney, I’ve seen one failed prosecution against a Mom for intentionally denying her child proper nourishment, and damn near undertook her defense, as she had a good one (to be distinguished from the stoned/drunk Mom’s).

If you have a concern with a family, a neighborhood, or anything, call the local cabinet, or the local KSP post. It will be addressed, promptly.
I SALUTE YOU! for everything you do and I don't thnk anyone here could ever come close to solving it.

Kids in KY, even before this covid 19, went to school hungry. Sad, but true.
Some parents who could get help, fail to ask.
I won't rant anymore on this subject.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
I SALUTE YOU! for everything you do and I don't thnk anyone here could ever come close to solving it.

Kids in KY, even before this covid 19, went to school hungry. Sad, but true.
Some parents who could get help, fail to ask.
I won't rant anymore on this subject.
NO kid should ever go hungry

Reactions: UKvisitor
“No kid should ever go hungry”- you’re right. They sure shouldn’t. And while I’ve never seen it where I’m at, I’m sure some still do. And it’s a shame really, we have so much food going to waist in this country. There are still enough farmers left in this country to ensure that the next 4 or 5 generations in this country never go hungry. But that’s gonna change, and rapidly I’m afraid. The politicians want to put farmers at the bottom of the list, as usual, but today’s economy won’t allow for that to last much longer, so, no farms no food is gonna happen eventually. And there’s no excuse for it. Sad.

Reactions: The-Hack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT