ADVERTISEMENT

What Else Must Louis King Do for Offer?

KYtotheCore

Senior
Jan 5, 2010
Anytown, USA
I feel bad for the kid. He put up a great game in front of Cal, made it known he would commit, was on the U19 team, etc. I don't think Cal would continue to watch him if he wasn't interested. What do you think Cal is waiting on?

It would appear so. Definitely needed to happen though. Some people just take every opportunity to attack Cal. I guess they prefer the late-Tubby and BCG style teams.

Rip has been a Cal hater since day one.

But the mods are getting a little trigger happy, nothing written, even Rips, was delete worry. I certainly hope this isn't a new trend.

I think King ends up here. CAL is waiting to see if he can pull off the Reddish and Barrett combo imo before going after King for the second offer at SF. I think King will work out great though.

I feel bad for the kid. He put up a great game in front of Cal, made it known he would commit, was on the U19 team, etc. I don't think Cal would continue to watch him if he wasn't interested. What do you think Cal is waiting on?

I think Cal has continued to watch him because Reddish is on his team. I'd love to get King. I think he would thrive here and possibly be a 2 year player but how in the world can any of us doubt Cal when it comes to recruiting?

i don't think it matters what he does or does not do (i think he has done enough)
right now we have no idea who will be returning and i think that is playing a huge role in him not getting an offer right now
Cal really wants Reddish and Zion after that it is just a matter of who stays and who goes

I mean we're going after Barret, Zion and Reddish. Only offer him if your running out of options and right now were not.

Honestly, I don't see King being someone we're worried about with Zion. If Zion plays anything other than the 4 in college consistently, I'll be shocked. He projects as a hybrid at the next level, maybe even a true 3 with hard work, but he's a college 4. King, nor Reddish or Barrett should worry about ZW and vice versa

King is a 3. Maybe a 4 in a real small line up, or a 2 if we're in foul trouble or something along those lines, but he's a bonafide swing man. King is being held off for Barrett and Reddish as we all know. One mindset tells me, "take the guys who want to play and figure it out later." It's a hard pill to swallow, knowing there's a 5 star out there that seems like he'd commit almost on the spot if we offered. The other side says just recruiting the best and figuring it out later is the difference in a final 4 birth and a national championship. Getting one of Barrett/Reddish is critical, and getting both would be a grand slam in the world series final combined with a hail marry touch down in the super bowl. Those guys will be 2 of the 5 best players in college basketball their freshman season and fit a need, as far as instant impact and playing ability, better than King which is far from an insult to him. If you want the best chance at a ring, you have to get the best of the best.

We need to sign Zion, in my opinion, to be a cornerstone with Quickley in what should/could be a monumental class. The toughest, meanest, most athletic man not on a professional basketball team combined with the best point guard. From there, I'd want 2 of Reddish/Barrett/King. Bare minimum one of Reddish/Barrett.

To answer your question, King could magically turn into players who exude transcendence - guys who play the same position as him - like Reddish, Barrett, and even Williamson.

If two guys from the Knox, Diallo, Vanderbilt, Gabriel and Washington return (likely), those two are already ahead of King in the rotation. Add Williamson and one of Reddish/Barrett and where does King get minute as a freshman?

Honestly, I don't see King being someone we're worried about with Zion. If Zion plays anything other than the 4 in college consistently, I'll be shocked. He projects as a hybrid at the next level, maybe even a true 3 with hard work, but he's a college 4. King, nor Reddish or Barrett should worry about ZW and vice versa

King is a 3. Maybe a 4 in a real small line up, or a 2 if we're in foul trouble or something along those lines, but he's a bonafide swing man. King is being held off for Barrett and Reddish as we all know. One mindset tells me, "take the guys who want to play and figure it out later." It's a hard pill to swallow, knowing there's a 5 star out there that seems like he'd commit almost on the spot if we offered. The other side says just recruiting the best and figuring it out later is the difference in a final 4 birth and a national championship. Getting one of Barrett/Reddish is critical, and getting both would be a grand slam in the world series final combined with a hail marry touch down in the super bowl. Those guys will be 2 of the 5 best players in college basketball their freshman season and fit a need, as far as instant impact and playing ability, better than King which is far from an insult to him. If you want the best chance at a ring, you have to get the best of the best.

We need to sign Zion, in my opinion, to be a cornerstone with Quickley in what should/could be a monumental class. The toughest, meanest, most athletic man not on a professional basketball team combined with the best point guard. From there, I'd want 2 of Reddish/Barrett/King. Bare minimum one of Reddish/Barrett.

We might only need one guy from that last trio you mentioned, especially if UK returns a few guys like Vanderbilt.

G - Green
G - Quickley
F - Barrett
F - Williamson
C - SKJ
----
Vanderbilt and Washington round out rotation with a freshman big. Where's the need for another wing player with that group? One has to imagine Cal is selling Williamson on playing both forward positions, so there would be times Zion and PJ would be playing together.

Reactions: Pluto is a Planet
We might only need one guy from that last trio you mentioned, especially if UK returns a few guys like Vanderbilt.

G - Green
G - Quickley
F - Barrett
F - Williamson
C - SKJ
----
Vanderbilt and Washington round out rotation with a freshman big. Where's the need for another wing player with that group? One has to imagine Cal is selling Williamson on playing both forward positions, so there would be times Zion and PJ would be playing together.

Vanderbilt is a legit 6'9 with long arms, very good athleticism and the handles to play point forward. Of all the guys we've had to see leave that weren't ready, year after year, Vanderbilt will be a guy who will actually have a case to leave whether he puts up big numbers or not. His size and skillset are too high for me to see him coming back when guys like Teague, Orton, Skal, etc have managed to make it work to get drafted. Washington is probably going to put up enough numbers that he can maybe tempt the waters, but who knows. Out of Gabriel, Knox, Vanderbilt, Washington, and Diallo, I'd be shocked if we keep even 2.

If we do, I have a hard time seeing any of them sit. On the off chance we keep Vanderbilt and Washington, they're probably locked to start. It would look something closer to this, in my opinion

Green
Barrett
Vanderbilt
Williams
Washington/SKJ

Or sit ZW/Barrett to be a 6th man coming off the bench for 25mpg. But those 2 potential sophomores won't be sitting behind anybody if they're as good as we all think. They're starting this year most likely, so why wouldn't they start as sophomores?

Vanderbilt is a legit 6'9 with long arms, very good athleticism and the handles to play point forward. Of all the guys we've had to see leave that weren't ready, year after year, Vanderbilt will be a guy who will actually have a case to leave whether he puts up big numbers or not. His size and skillset are too high for me to see him coming back when guys like Teague, Orton, Skal, etc have managed to make it work to get drafted. Washington is probably going to put up enough numbers that he can maybe tempt the waters, but who knows. Out of Gabriel, Knox, Vanderbilt, Washington, and Diallo, I'd be shocked if we keep even 2.

If we do, I have a hard time seeing any of them sit. On the off chance we keep Vanderbilt and Washington, they're probably locked to start. It would look something closer to this, in my opinion

Green
Barrett
Vanderbilt
Williams
Washington/SKJ

Or sit ZW/Barrett to be a 6th man coming off the bench for 25mpg. But those 2 potential sophomores won't be sitting behind anybody if they're as good as we all think. They're starting this year most likely, so why wouldn't they start as sophomores?

I could see Washington at the 5 in a situation where Cal substitutes rim protection for a 5 guys who can run for 40 minutes. I see no scenario where Barrett or Zion come off the bench in college. They're top 3 picks. Washington and Vanderbilt may not come off the bench, but neither is starting over Zion or Barrett unless it's a short term discipline problem regarding Zion or Barrett.

That said, it's all fun to speculate. Right now, I'd just like to see Kentucky counter Kansas trying to weasel in on Zion by offering all his inferior teammates and friends.

Reactions: Pluto is a Planet
I'm not high on King....Reddish is the one i hope we get and no offer to king looks like cal is hoping to get 2 of 3 in Zion , Cam or Barrett

I'm not high on King....Reddish is the one i hope we get and no offer to king looks like cal is hoping to get 2 of 3 in Zion , Cam or Barrett

You probably should be. Kid is a heck of a talent and a baller who just happens to be behind some other even more elite wings. He's the forgotten recruit. I've seen him officially listed anywhere from 6'6 to 6'8 with long arms so he has elite size on the wing, has what has to be a 40" vertical, and turns out he has an incredible jumper. My biggest take away watching the USA U-19 was how beautiful his jumpshot is for a 6'8 slashing athletic wing. He'd probably crack the top 10 in most other classes. It's remarkable to say that he's our 4th option in just this class, not factoring in who we have coming back next year who's just as talented, if not more so.

I could see Washington at the 5 in a situation where Cal substitutes rim protection for a 5 guys who can run for 40 minutes. I see no scenario where Barrett or Zion come off the bench in college. They're top 3 picks. Washington and Vanderbilt may not come off the bench, but neither is starting over Zion or Barrett unless it's a short term discipline problem regarding Zion or Barrett.

That said, it's all fun to speculate. Right now, I'd just like to see Kentucky counter Kansas trying to weasel in on Zion by offering all his inferior teammates and friends.
If Richards leaves would we need another big guy? The wings have sucked up all the attention and I haven't heard anything about Moses Brown or Naz Reid or that west coast center from U-19 USA tryouts in awhile.

I hope we offer king if everyone leaves, he is the the type of player that will take you to final fours. If everyone of knox, vanderbilt and Washington leaves then king would be perfect off of the bench behind reddish and williamson..

Duke has offered SF Nassir Little. Would probably put UK in a very good situation to offer King and Reddish as a package. UK loses an outstanding Canadian (no guarantee we get him anyway) but could gain two excellent wings.

I suppose there is too much talent in the class to worry about one player. But King sure would be an excellent pick up. I trust in Cal and his staff and the final curtain has not gone down on King. .

I hate the idea of waiting on guys. It has burned us in the past and I don't want it to happen again. Get who wants to come not that you can build a team around. The big fish aren't going to be scared off by the smaller ones, since in the NBA you play against guys just as big and fast as you are.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
I hate the idea of waiting on guys. It has burned us in the past and I don't want it to happen again. Get who wants to come not that you can build a team around. The big fish aren't going to be scared off by the smaller ones, since in the NBA you play against guys just as big and fast as you are.
I was thinking the same thing. I don't want King to feel like a priority elsewhere, and the guys Cal has targeted choose another path. We've seen it happen.

I'm just waiting for the year where Cal just says f it in recruiting and takes everyone. If anyone in the country can convince someone to sacrifice it's him. Could you imagine a roster with Barret, Reddish, King and Williamson. You can obviously find a way to get all of them to play together, but for natural 2/3's that are 18-19 that would be a feat. Seems like a few really want in just finding the one that he wants the most.

G - Green
G - Quickley
F - Barrett
F - Williamson
C - SKJ
----

I would be surprised to see Vanderbilt and Washington both being back. In fact there is a better chance we lose both, IMHO.

I think the starting lineup you listed is pretty realistic, though.

ADVERTISEMENT