ADVERTISEMENT

What do you expect from Wenyen Gabriel next season?

track42

Senior
Feb 18, 2017
I know he looked lost late in the season but I thought he had some moments early in the year where he looked pretty good.He always seemed to play hard but he really needs some weight and strength.

Same for skj just play solid for the 10-15 mins you're out there. You don't have to score 20 points, but if he can play good d, rebound and grab a steal or two that's good enough for me. I do expect Gabriel to average at a minimum of 7 pts a game this yr

Reactions: JC43
I think much of his problems were a lack of confidence.He seemed to really be pressing and trying too hard to make something happen.He need to put on weight for sure.

Grab the ball. Hold onto the ball. Score the ball. Weights and eating more.

difficult question. At times he showed nice versatility.

He works hard, so it'll be interesting if he stays. He'll fight for starting position. He needs to get bit quicker and stronger. Consistency will come from repetition and comfort.

But, he was really raw last year...you don't get rid of rawness so quickly.

I seriously think he'll be a big part of things next year. His motor is high and he's shown that he can shoot. The desire is there, as are the raw skills. If he works hard, I think it will be yet another guy that we are pleased with under Cal. I think we are going to have enough players next year to exhaust other teams with relentless pressure and effort, especialy if we land Bamba.

Last edited:
Honestly I don't expect much at all from him. He just seems to uncoordinated most of the time. He may grow into his body but I believe it will take a couple of years. I hope I'm totally wrong

Reactions: Blueaz and poppycat
I think an entire off-season with a college coaching staff should have WG and SKJ ready to go. I think Gabriel has a hard time being physical, and I think he needs to focus on that this off-season. TN killed him by going right into him, and he just got hit in the mouth and took it. He needs to toughen up. While he'll use his energy to fly up and snag an offensive rebound--he needs to battle for some of the tougher ones.

Reactions: Cardsstink
All I expect from him next season is to improve.....Why should I put numbers on him? I want him to be as good as he can be.

I see a lot of Walter McCarty in Gabriel. It's going to take some time in the weight room and getting consistent with jump shot.

Reactions: Dablueman
I think he and SKJ sorta packed it in towards the end of the year when it became obvious that they weren't going to be a big part of the plan. We shall see.

Hope he is putting jumpers. A consistent jumper will go a long way for him.

We will need consistent shooting from the 3. He shot 31% from 3 this past season. Needs to get that number up to 35-37%. That is doable.

It will be interesting to see how Cal goes with his lineup. My guess is Washington and Vanderbilt start at the 3 and 4. Gabriel prob backs up the 4. If SKJ come back where in the world does he get minutes? Cats crazy deep at 4 and 5 even without Bamba.

Reactions: K_TIME
Totally disagree .

He needs to work on getting strong, rebounding, defense, and footwork.

He needs to work on those things too, but he needs a consistent jumper most of all. That will help the team and help him get drafted. He is not a post player. He needs a consistent jumper to play on the wing.

Reactions: plumdog69
He has first round ability as he showed at times last season but the last month his confidence was totally shot to crap. if he can play like he is capable he can be damn great stretch 4. I think PJ will start but I love that we have 2 super talented guys at that spot. I also think SKJ can become a great player as well as the tools are there.

He needs to find that motor every UK fan said he had when he was being recruited..I sure didn't see it during the season but in just a couple of games maybe. Stay away from the left handed cigs also.

Get stronger. Almost all of his issues had to do with not being strong enough. He got moved off the block or over powered or couldn't finish due to strength. With added strength comes confidence and once you have confidence you become the best version of you're self. Having a year under you're belt gives you confidence and allows you to understand what to expect and what it takes to have a impact. I expect both he and SKJ to make a bigger impact this season

I've never figured out a single thing he gives us when on the floor. I don't expect anything from him.

I do hope I'm wrong.

Be amazed poppy what strength will do for his game.

I realize that getting stronger will help a lot, but Gabe needs to learn the game.........he just doesn't (yet) make the play by
instinct....How long has he played bb?

I thought his biggest issues were he wasn't a very good on ball defender and his first instinct was to shoot rather than find a better shot. (I actually thought he rebounded in his position well.)

Getting beat off the dribble and via the back door can do a lot to help one lose confidence.

I think it could go either way. Also depends on the final roster.
Best case for Gabriel, and he could play 30 mpg for 14 & 9.
Worst case for Gabriel, and he could play 10 mpg for 4 & 3.

It will be interesting to see how Cal goes with his lineup. My guess is Washington and Vanderbilt start at the 3 and 4. Gabriel prob backs up the 4. If SKJ come back where in the world does he get minutes? Cats crazy deep at 4 and 5 even without Bamba.
It is intriguing to imagine how the minutes will distribute next year on the frontcourt. Then we have the opposite in the backcourt that for those two spots we have basically starters but not legit backups.

SF: Hard to call. Vanderbilt will get some and probably the grad transfer/Diallo could spot here as well.
PF: Washington 25mpg, Gabriel 15mpg
C: Bamba 25 mpg, Richards or Humphries 15 mpg

In the end...unless Gabriel can steal some SF minutes there is a logjam at PF for sure. And we haven't even put SKJ on the board. Don't really see a place where all these guys play. Unless we lose Bamba and Hump...some guys simply are going to sit next year. And then there is poor Wynyard.

I know he looked lost late in the season but I thought he had some moments early in the year where he looked pretty good.He always seemed to play hard but he really needs some weight and strength.
Needs experienced bb IQ...

I don't think he is one to gain weight easily,he is what he is.He probably will gain some understanding of the game,maybe improve his shot and ball handling but that is best case.

Reactions: zcats
It is intriguing to imagine how the minutes will distribute next year on the frontcourt. Then we have the opposite in the backcourt that for those two spots we have basically starters but not legit backups.

SF: Hard to call. Vanderbilt will get some and probably the grad transfer/Diallo could spot here as well.
PF: Washington 25mpg, Gabriel 15mpg
C: Bamba 25 mpg, Richards or Humphries 15 mpg

In the end...unless Gabriel can steal some SF minutes there is a logjam at PF for sure. And we haven't even put SKJ on the board. Don't really see a place where all these guys play. Unless we lose Bamba and Hump...some guys simply are going to sit next year. And then there is poor Wynyard.
That is what I am saying where in the world do some of these guys get minutes? If get Bamba, Bam or Knox, we literally have 2 top 20 Mcdonalds All Americans as third string lol. Cal is truly amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT