ADVERTISEMENT

What do we say when UL blames the refs?

JBHolmesfan

All-SEC
Jul 23, 2009
We call them sore losers, and rightfully so. If we want to make fun of them when they do it, we can't do it ourselves. Yea, the refs sucked in the first half. They made some awful calls. Some of those awful calls went against UNC. We can nitpick the bad calls that went against us, but do we ever include the calls that went our way? If we get to blame the refs for this loss, do we ever get to credit the refs for why we win some games?

Huge huge difference in bitching and actually having a legitimate gripe....Higgins changed the whole game in first half and thats why it took us so long to finally get the lead...so our 64-59 lead in theory could have been 70-59if not for Higgins leaving us crippled in first half...you wanna call thst whining...have at it

When national media comments on it, it's a legitimate concern. I'm not one to blame the refs. I don't think we lost because of it. We have a good lead late. But it changed the game in that a flow for us could never be established for the team or individual key players. Four starters on the bench limits that.

NO, yesterday wasn't just "some awful" calls... it was so blatantly incompetent and one sided to leave no room for any guessing what was really going on.

Look, when people who have no vested interest in the game are saying it was biased like Jay Williams (ok he didn't play for UNC but still) or other commentators like Mike and Mike, Decoursey etc.., then yes there is something there.

All that said, we still should've made the plays in the end to win. The refs didn't stop us there.

Reactions: brianpoe
We call them sore losers, and rightfully so. If we want to make fun of them when they do it, we can't do it ourselves. Yea, the refs sucked in the first half. They made some awful calls. Some of those awful calls went against UNC. We can nitpick the bad calls that went against us, but do we ever include the calls that went our way? If we get to blame the refs for this loss, do we ever get to credit the refs for why we win some games?
You are way off on this one.

Huge huge difference in bitching and actually having a legitimate gripe....Higgins changed the whole game in first half and thats why it took us so long to finally get the lead...so our 64-59 lead in theory could have been 70-59if not for Higgins leaving us crippled in first half...you wanna call thst whining...have at it
See, that's the difference. You think you have a legit claim. When we beat UL, they do too. And it sounds ridiculous when they say it. Let me ask, have you ever walked away from a UK game, or any game, and said, "wow the refs really gave us that one"? Probably not. And every other team that makes this argument thinks it was obvious the refs went against them. This game is no different.

I agree with you the refs were bad. They robbed the fans and teams of a great first half. UNC didn't get every call. There were some bad ones that went our way too. Unless we want to point those out,

When your best players don't get to play much in the first half on some very questionable calls it changes the whole game.If you can't see this you must be blind.

When your best players don't get to play much in the first half on some very questionable calls it changes the whole game.If you can't see this you must be blind.
The first foul on Fox was an awful call. His second foul was a good call and a big mistake knowing he had 1 foul already. Did you see some of the lineups UNC had out there as well? The refs sucked all around, but they weren't out to get us.

See, that's the difference. You think you have a legit claim. When we beat UL, they do too. And it sounds ridiculous when they say it.

Some relativistic argument is a stupid one here... this obviously isn't a case of seeing what you want to see, surely you know that?

Some relativistic argument is a stupid one here... this obviously isn't a case of seeing what you want to see, surely you know that?
But who gets to say we have a gripe this game, but when our opponents say it, they don't have a gripe? It's human nature to remember the ones that went against you, but discredit the ones that went for you.

;)
The first foul on Fox was an awful call. His second foul was a good call and a big mistake knowing he had 1 foul already. Did you see some of the lineups UNC had out there as well? The refs sucked all around, but they weren't out to get us.
Strange how we have so much trouble in Higgins games.But it's all in our imagination.

jackson jumped in the air to shoot, and came down. they call that a walk in pickup games at the park

the white walk-ons on the end of carolina's bench were screaming for walks against bam when the post entry was still in the air

OP, don't you know that U of L never gets screwed by the refs? That only happens to U.K. In fact, UK is the only team that gets screwed by the refs. The fans of the rest of the teams who complain are just sore losers.

Reactions: jace46555
jackson jumped in the air to shoot, and came down. they call that a walk in pickup games at the park

the white walk-ons on the end of carolina's bench were screaming for walks against bam when the post entry was still in the air
I thought Jackson walked too. I thought the ref missed that one. He motioned he got deflected but I didn't think so.

But who gets to say we have a gripe this game, but when our opponents say it, they don't have a gripe? It's human nature to remember the ones that went against you, but discredit the ones that went for you.

I don't care what "we" or "they" say... couldn't care less.

My opinions are my own, independent entirely what other UK fans think or what UL fans think.. You seem to be more concerned with appearing to have independent thought than actually having it. Your take is horrible, baseless and honestly strains credulity that anyone could have it; UK fan, UL fan or whomever. Even an objective minded UNC fan should be able to admit what happened in that first half.

Reactions: Mojocat
What I say depends on the game, if I think they got hosed then I say so and if I think they are whining then I'll say that too.

I don't care what "we" or "they" say... couldn't care less.

My opinions are my own, independent entirely what other UK fans think or what UL fans think.. You seem to be more concerned with appearing to have independent thought than actually having it. Your take is horrible, baseless and honestly strains credulity that anyone could have it; UK fan, UL fan or whomever. Even an objective minded UNC fan should be able to admit what happened in that first half.
It helps to see how it looks from the other side, though. We generally all agree it looks silly when our opponents say the refs were bad. The national media have talked about the refs being bad, and I agree they were. They didn't cost us the game though. There were missed calls that went against us. Some went for us. Do you have a breakdown of the calls that went our way versus ones that went against us? We can't blame the refs unless we're going to look at every single call and then somehow decide how many they got right and how many they got wrong.

Your posting sound like you just took a psychology 101 class and are amazed by some insights.

No, this is not a matter of perspective or bias.

The fact the refs DIDN'T call this a foul, says all you need to know about the refs yesterday.

w4dsLNO.jpg

Dude, you are trying to kick water up hill. It isn't going to work with these people.

part of the ball was still inside the cylinder IMO. don't think people really understand the rule

Like 5% of the diamter of the ball was still over the cylinder, so yeah strictly speaking still goaltending. But I would challenge anyone to find that call again in some other game (where the ball was nearly completely off the rim and goaltending was still called)

I would love to hear the bad calls that went against UNC. Or hear about how 4 of UNC's starters had 2 fouls in the 1st half. No, I don't think we lost because of the refs but it certainly didn't help and in a close game, the 4-6 points they took off the board and the possible ones they took off the board forcing 4 of out starters to the bench sure could of helped.

we
It helps to see how it looks from the other side, though. We generally all agree it looks silly when our opponents say the refs were bad. The national media have talked about the refs being bad, and I agree they were. They didn't cost us the game though. There were missed calls that went against us. Some went for us. Do you have a breakdown of the calls that went our way versus ones that went against us? We can't blame the refs unless we're going to look at every single call and then somehow decide how many they got right and how many they got wrong.

higgins was in position to see meeks foul bam on the way up, and didn't call it. was in worse position to see a phantom over-the-back foul against bam, which he did call

fox was clearly fouled on the last drive of the first half, and clearly beat white to the spot and was run over on his first foul. (seems harder to get that call than it is to get a charge against an airborne player, and it should be the other way around)

late in the game hawkins was called for riding meeks out of the play. ended up negating a put-back for carolina. but replay showed a carolina big get bam in a bearhug and pull him out of the play

nobody touched the ball when berry rolled his ankle and lost it out of bounds either

Meeks went over Bam's back and no call.

Willis got called for a foul on the loose ball once Hump had recovered the ball.

Btw, I showed my wife the Fox pic and she said it looked like they were tackling him(keep in mind she hardly watches basketball)

See, that's the difference. You think you have a legit claim. When we beat UL, they do too. And it sounds ridiculous when they say it. Let me ask, have you ever walked away from a UK game, or any game, and said, "wow the refs really gave us that one"? Probably not. And every other team that makes this argument thinks it was obvious the refs went against them. This game is no different.

I agree with you the refs were bad. They robbed the fans and teams of a great first half. UNC didn't get every call. There were some bad ones that went our way too. Unless we want to point those out,
Lol, good lord, did you really watch the game at all or you just come on here to let everybody know your a complete idiot?

Reactions: skcatfan
anyone notice unc was traveling a lot? not the shuffle step you see before a tough pull up, but dragging their pivot foot when they picked up their dribble. there were a few blatant ones.

Lol, good lord, did you really watch the game at all or you just come on here to let everybody know your a complete idiot?
It's you're, not your. I don't correct grammar on here, but if you're going to insult my intelligence, don't get you're/your wrong in the very sentence in which you're insulting my intelligence.

When national media comments on it, it's a legitimate concern. I'm not one to blame the refs. I don't think we lost because of it. We have a good lead late. But it changed the game in that a flow for us could never be established for the team or individual key players. Four starters on the bench limits that.
This.

Reactions: jedwar
don't think any one call was as bad as the walk thornwell got away with vs florida. good lord he took five or six steps

jackson managed to hold his pivot on a similar play, the alien-looking chump

I could care less what Louisville fans say and just go by what I saw.Am I totally blaming the loss on refs?No of course not because our guys were cold and missed free throws but the refs in this game were terrible.Higgins was pathetic.I honestly think he has issues with Cal.It makes no sense our record is so poor with him.In such a huge game we deserve the best of refs and instead we get this.

Anyone who talks in absolutes should be disregarded.

If you think the officials always try to screw Kentucky over, you're wrong. But if you think it's never appropriate to criticize the officiating, you're equally as wrong.

Every game is different. You suggested that some of us haven't ever watched a game and thought, "The refs really gave that one to Kentucky." I've seen a few, and I'm more than willing to admit it.

Being objective is difficult when you have a vested interest in a particular team, but we've all seen a lot of basketball. There's a reason people here and in the media are criticizing the officiating, and it's not because they're all wearing blue-tinted goggles.

The refs made a huge difference in the game and likely affected the outcome. That's just the truth. There's nothing any of us can do about it, but it's silly to suggest that no one should even discuss it.

that brush you're painting with is way, way too wide.

Look, agree somewhat with your premise. Blaming officials is eye-roll inducing. Everyone does it, it's a cliche. But let me ask you: are fans that blame refs wrong 100% of the time?

Were Kings fans wrong to cry about the officials in the 2002 playoffs, after what we found out later from Donaghy?

Maybe it's only 1 out of 1000, but sometimes the fans are right: there were enough blown calls to influence the outcome of the game, and they all or virtually all went against one team and in the other team's favor. Could be incompetence. Could be corruption. Could be personal animosity/bias. None of that is really rare in the human experience.

Last night my fear was either Fox or Bam would get 2 quick ones and be out for an extended period. I wish! It wasn't just the calls that went against us, it was also calls against UNC where there was no whistle. Easy peasy to impact the outcome of a 2 point game. And everyone who says 'well, we got those guys back, and even built a lead, so no impact' is missing the point. First, we might have been well ahead in the game if those 4 guys aren't watching. Instead of being ahead by 5 with 5 to go, maybe we're up 14. Second, it's vitally important in offense to develop a rythm. Some teams intentionally 'muddy up' a game just for that reason, to get offensive players out of rythm. Once you're out of sorts, often you can't change that mid-game.

As for your question, the answer of "who gets to say" is easy - what do disinterested observers say? Show me the Louisville loss to Kentucky that resulted in multiple national columnists and broadcasters questioning the officiating, and I'll say, perhaps so, maybe this is their 1 out of 1000....

Comparing our fan base to UofL's is a joke. For the most part they're nothing but a bunch of loudmouth effing morons. They support the scummiest athletics program in the country so let them whine. They're simply not the most intelligent bunch of people out there. They bitched about our game in 2014 even though the refs gave them two horrible calls late that could've tied the game up. Everyone here saw what happened in yesterday's game. It was pretty clear which team gained an advantage so we have every right to get upset about getting a raw deal once again.

ADVERTISEMENT