ADVERTISEMENT

What did Baby Calipari say to the referee? Did Cal yell at Brad?

At this point, the officiating is what it is.. But it's pretty absurd that almost every away game, Kentucky gets whistled for an exuberant amount of fouls in a stretch of time.

I’m not here to talk crap or start anything, so don’t take it that way. I know you guys haven’t watched a lot of Auburn games this year, but one of their best qualities is they force fouls. As a small team, they must do this to win down the stretch. It’s a smart move for any team, but extremely efficient for a team that shots 86% FTs. I do think officiating has been really bad for everyone this year though. Good luck to UK the rest of the way. See you guys in St Louis.

Reactions: Macy's socks
I’m not here to talk crap or start anything, so don’t take it that way. I know you guys haven’t watched a lot of Auburn games this year, but one of their best qualities is they force fouls. As a small team, they must do this to win down the stretch. It’s a smart move for any team, but extremely efficient for a team that shots 86% FTs. I do think officiating has been really bad for everyone this year though. Good luck to UK the rest of the way. See you guys in St Louis.

Trust me when I saw a junior High women's team would find a way to force fouls on Kentucky. I agree that Auburn is great at this, and I don't think last night was particularly bad.. but the Home/Away officiating is becoming absurd.

86%??? I think you mean 78

At this point, the officiating is what it is.. But it's pretty absurd that almost every away game, Kentucky gets whistled for an exuberant amount of fouls in a stretch of time.

UK has attempted the 10th most free throws in the NCAA this year. UK attempts 25.7 free throws per game (#10 in NCAA), their opponents only 19.7 (#194 in NCAA)

UK is being called for 19.2 fouls per game (#242 in NCAA). Opponents are being called for 20.2 fouls (ranks #41 in NCAA).

The "blame the officials" crowd is getting really desperate at this point. It's old and worn out and simply not true.

And let me know when Duke/KU/UNC lose a game because of spiking a ball.. and also let me know when those teams foul out 4 or 5 guys, are allowed to walk to the hoop from half court, and allowed to commit up and downs with no penalty. Let me know when a kentucky player is able to cross the baseline to defend an inbounds, and have the official call 3 seconds instead of 5.

And let me know when Duke/KU/UNC lose a game because of spiking a ball.. and also let me know when those teams foul out 4 or 5 guys, are allowed to walk to the hoop from half court, and allowed to commit up and downs with no penalty. Let me know when a kentucky player is able to cross the baseline to defend an inbounds, and have the official call 3 seconds instead of 5.

It's well known and understood. You're arguing with a non-fan.

Not here to start anything - so don't take it that way. Not happy with the way UK played esp. in the final 4 minutes. I have watched at least 4 Auburn games, and though your team forces fouls, and as you say by virtue of their size; by virtue of their size AND style of play they also foul... a lot. Not blaming refs for the outcome of this one, but I am saying Auburn benefits from a lot of hands-on and bump and grind "defense". That's not on them, it's coached... that's on officiating to call and ignore the blow-hard on the sideline. Not gonna get in the weeds on this particular game because overall - a visiting team knows they have to play better than the home team, home crowd and officiating going into it. Auburn plays with effort, no doubt. Their weakness is easily seen and will be exposed soon enough. It's a direct reflection of their Coach as well. Enjoy the ride while you can.

Thank you!

Reactions: BlueBruised
Sidenote, Duke was called for 6 fouls for the whole game vs Va Tech.

True but Va Tech didn't have that many either. Game took about an hour , forty-five.

Hubie Brown, commenting on a Carter play, said that could have been an offensive foul and the ref was right there. Not sure Hubie is aware of the Duke bias.

As for Auburn game, the offensive foul on PJ which was just a flop was the only really bad call.

I don't know the context of this thread title but there was a point last night where the camera was on Cal and he was lighting into Brad - you know ,as any coach would - but I thought that was odd given the kid was on the bench and not contributing to the game.

Reactions: UK till Death
UK has attempted the 10th most free throws in the NCAA this year. UK attempts 25.7 free throws per game (#10 in NCAA), their opponents only 19.7 (#194 in NCAA)

UK is being called for 19.2 fouls per game (#242 in NCAA). Opponents are being called for 20.2 fouls (ranks #41 in NCAA).

The "blame the officials" crowd is getting really desperate at this point. It's old and worn out and simply not true.

This. Our fans can be ridiculous. UK is given more free throws, and is called for fewer fouls, than our opponents. There's NO ref conspiracy against us.

The level of paranoia in the UK fan base never ceases to amaze me.

Liking posts and not addressing the facts I provide.. Classic.

IDK what it is, conspiracy or what not. I do know that Home officiating has gotten out of hand, and I'm sure AFH and CI help aid that with very rwody environments.

But you can't argue the facts. You can't dispute that those teams always seem to get helped, meanwhile the officials feel the need to send a message to Humphries and Cal. When you and @JFCats22 can give some examples to prove otherwise, I'd suggest staying in your lane.

True but Va Tech didn't have that many either. Game took about an hour , forty-five.

Hubie Brown, commenting on a Carter play, said that could have been an offensive foul and the ref was right there. Not sure Hubie is aware of the Duke bias.

As for Auburn game, the offensive foul on PJ which was just a flop was the only really bad call.

That worked out great for a shorthanded Duke team didn't it? VT's previous low in FTA this season was 8.

I'll probably be sorry I jumped in here but of those 19.2 fouls 7-10 of them are called on one end of the court. Same thing is a no call or worse on the other end. It makes a team timid when the other team is not. That's what we have to overcome as freshman. Also, the walking (really) and silly passes. Please be gentle as I am old. FCC.

Liking posts and not addressing the facts I provide.. Classic.

IDK what it is, conspiracy or what not. I do know that Home officiating has gotten out of hand, and I'm sure AFH and CI help aid that with very rwody environments.

But you can't argue the facts. You can't dispute that those teams always seem to get helped, meanwhile the officials feel the need to send a message to Humphries and Cal. When you and @JFCats22 can give some examples to prove otherwise, I'd suggest staying in your lane.

Pulling a couple of random events out of the air is not providing facts. I gave you the stats that (for the entire season) show you are full of crap.

Is there bad officiating? Yeah, absolutely....but, it happens to every team. But, according to you, UK is the only school that is the target of referees' bias, the NCAA, the SEC, etc... That's stupid.

This. Our fans can be ridiculous. UK is given more free throws, and is called for fewer fouls, than our opponents. There's NO ref conspiracy against us.

The level of paranoia in the UK fan base never ceases to amaze me.

Number of fouls is meaningless. The timing and who they are called on and how they affect game flow is the main thing. Think Fox in the first half against UNCheat last year.

Officials were OK last night. Blew the Charge / Flop, but not much else.

However, watch A&M, in particular Davis, and see what he is allowed to get away with compared to the fouls called when he gets pushed. A lot of times "scrappy" teams are allowed to get away with knick-knack fouls while their opponents cannot.

I don't know the context of this thread title but there was a point last night where the camera was on Cal and he was lighting into Brad - you know ,as any coach would - but I thought that was odd given the kid was on the bench and not contributing to the game.
Yeah everyone is missing the point of this thread.

Pulling a couple of random events out of the air is not providing facts. I gave you the stats that (for the entire season) show you are full of crap.

Is there bad officiating? Yeah, absolutely....but, it happens to every team. But, according to you, UK is the only school that is the target of referees' bias, the NCAA, the SEC, etc... That's stupid.

Have to say there's a lot of truth to your statements. Even the in the Higgins/UNC game we had a 5 point lead with 5 minutes left but we went cold for the next 4 minutes after North Carolina went to a zone. Hard to blame that on officials.

Same thing this year. Too many missed opportunities and scoring droughts have hurt this team in winnable games.

Then provide your own events. Use the eye test. Be smart enough to see that 1 foul separates nearly 200 teams and that it's an awful stat to use. Recognize also that conference vary. In your same stats (I saw those a week ago), there's like 7 SEC teams in the top50 for fouls committed, and another 2-3 teams in the top100? So you live and die by the numbers.. explain that.

Thought this was what this question was all about . It sure got sidetracked.

P

Preach brotha

With due respect... looking at things in total for the year misses many situational items in officiating and especially related to fouls. Who is called? Your most aggressive slasher? Two charging calls and he's mentally out of the game. Your rim protector? Two early fouls and he sits a half. Shooting fouls are not? Fouls that do not impact the outcome of a game (late fouling to try to extend a game)? Fouls at crucial momentum times in a game?

Stats are fine and can be used in a number of ways - but situations are important to consider in real analysis.

Reactions: FutureCityCats
I coached a little league baseball team once upon a time and since this team is young I think this applies.

Before we ever had a practice I told my son(1st baseman) if I get mad at the shortstop I'm going to find something to fuss at you about,I'll chew you pretty good just so everyone else can hear it, can you handle it? He said sure since I know what is going on.We had a great season,won the league and all the parents were happy..........just saying:baseball:

Reactions: UK till Death
This is possibly the info I'm looking for. Guessing Brad said something to an official or made a comment that the official heard.

Would love to know what it was. [jumpingsmile] Cal clearly not amused. :D

I am a statistician, you can find stats to support nearly any argument you want to make. We are a interior team, not a shooting team, what we are in the bottom 5-10% of teams in 3pt attempts. No naturally by trying to score more inside than outside, we will be fouled more than most teams. You can similarly look at how teams are trying to score against you to determine how much your team fouls.

I think at this point, few if any UK fans would argue we are having a bad season because of the officials. BUT what we are observing is a few more unexplained calls or no-calls against us than for us, compared to past years (where it usually evens out). And it does make one wonder if those idiots that harassed (threats or just trashing his roofing business) Higgins have caused a silent reaction by all refs against our team (& it's somewhat understandable).
So when our team isn't significantly better than the opposition, just 1 or 2 extra calls/no-calls going against us can impact the game.
Sure it is easy to pinpoint specific examples both ways (UF end of game, TAMU end of game in Rupp, Auburn w/ 4min to go). Refs aren't going to be perfect. But you expect the mistakes to be pretty even, and they seem to have been skewed this season.

Reactions: struggler

Those stats only work if you assume that every team fouls the exact same number of times. Thus meaning the refs make the exact number of bad calls on each team. That however, is not reality. The truth is, as a fan, people are going to see the fouls missed against their team, and not the ones missed for the other team. All in all, the number of fouls, and even the freethrow attempts are meaningless, unless you watch the game unbiased and determine how many fouls were actually missed on each team.

As others have mentioned, it's not just the bad calls, but the timing of the bad calls. Not to mention who the calls are on. If a ref only makes 3 bad calls in a game, but they are all against a teams best player then it has a greater effect than if the 3 bad calls go against 3 different role players.

I am a statistician, you can find stats to support nearly any argument you want to make. We are a interior team, not a shooting team, what we are in the bottom 5-10% of teams in 3pt attempts. No naturally by trying to score more inside than outside, we will be fouled more than most teams. You can similarly look at how teams are trying to score against you to determine how much your team fouls.

I think at this point, few if any UK fans would argue we are having a bad season because of the officials. BUT what we are observing is a few more unexplained calls or no-calls against us than for us, compared to past years (where it usually evens out). And it does make one wonder if those idiots that harassed (threats or just trashing his roofing business) Higgins have caused a silent reaction by all refs against our team (& it's somewhat understandable).
So when our team isn't significantly better than the opposition, just 1 or 2 extra calls/no-calls going against us can impact the game.
Sure it is easy to pinpoint specific examples both ways (UF end of game, TAMU end of game in Rupp, Auburn w/ 4min to go). Refs aren't going to be perfect. But you expect the mistakes to be pretty even, and they seem to have been skewed this season.
It can't be proven but I don't think there is any doubt that the Higgins issue is a factor for us this year,how long that continues to be the case remains to be seen. The sad thing is he has been bias against us for years (for whatever reason) and everyone knows it.

Not here to start anything - so don't take it that way. Not happy with the way UK played esp. in the final 4 minutes. I have watched at least 4 Auburn games, and though your team forces fouls, and as you say by virtue of their size; by virtue of their size AND style of play they also foul... a lot. Not blaming refs for the outcome of this one, but I am saying Auburn benefits from a lot of hands-on and bump and grind "defense". That's not on them, it's coached... that's on officiating to call and ignore the blow-hard on the sideline. Not gonna get in the weeds on this particular game because overall - a visiting team knows they have to play better than the home team, home crowd and officiating going into it. Auburn plays with effort, no doubt. Their weakness is easily seen and will be exposed soon enough. It's a direct reflection of their Coach as well. Enjoy the ride while you can.

I actually agree with on their style defense. That said, I was on the 2nd row last night and there were many hard fouls that were not called on UK either. I watched the replay today and those, before half court bumps by UK, were not captured on tv. I think the officiating was equal both ways (the bad and the good). There were several times UK big players knocked over AU players on the inbounds.

Where in the stats does it show up when one of our players is about decapitated at the rim trying to dunk with no call? Where in the stats does it show up when our big guys are shoved under the backboard trying to rebound over and over with no whistle(A&M game) but let any UK player breathe on somebody from behind under the basket and 90% of the time a whistle blows. I did see an offensive foul called on Auburn last night that we normally don't get when the Auburn player hooked Shai but that call goes against us so much Shai was jumping up and down thinking the foul was called on him.
I am with Cal on the referees I don't care if they get it right or wrong as long as it is called the same way on both ends of the court. Inconsistency of the officiating is my main complaint. It has a big impact on how players play. If one team cant move without the whistle blowing while the other team can push you all over the court that is a problem.

Last edited:
Those stats only work if you assume that every team fouls the exact same number of times. Thus meaning the refs make the exact number of bad calls on each team. That however, is not reality. The truth is, as a fan, people are going to see the fouls missed against their team, and not the ones missed for the other team. All in all, the number of fouls, and even the freethrow attempts are meaningless, unless you watch the game unbiased and determine how many fouls were actually missed on each team.

As others have mentioned, it's not just the bad calls, but the timing of the bad calls. Not to mention who the calls are on. If a ref only makes 3 bad calls in a game, but they are all against a teams best player then it has a greater effect than if the 3 bad calls go against 3 different role players.
Good - and no one has a stat for non-calls - calls that should have gone in your favor - or against an opponent. I am not looking to blame officiating for all our ills - especially this season - but to think it all just works out in the end is false.

I actually agree with on their style defense. That said, I was on the 2nd row last night and there were many hard fouls that were not called on UK either. I watched the replay today and those, before half court bumps by UK, were not captured on tv. I think the officiating was equal both ways (the bad and the good). There were several times UK big players knocked over AU players on the inbounds.
Agree to disagree. An undersized team has to even the field wherever possible - Auburn plays with effort and is a quick and fast team... they are also a team that fouls... a lot - hands, hacking, swiping with forearms, hip checks (your coach calls that "grit and toughness"). Again - It's coached and if refs are not going to call you for it - or call it the same both ways - go for it. It's just a style that will catch up to them eventually (when coach and crowd can't brow beat officials into calling the game to their favor). Don't be shocked when someone decides to call it and your defense is suddenly far less effective. Still not their biggest weakness and that will be exposed too. Again - officiating did not decide the outcome of this one as much as mental weakness down the stretch. My observations are just from watching AU in general.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT