ADVERTISEMENT

What could Cal do with the average Tubby roster?

ukjenning44

Junior
Nov 21, 2022
I said on another site can you imagine how ugly it would be with Cal coaching Tubby talent?
A poster had a good answer by saying the 9-16 season is what it would look like.

Unless I’m leaving someone out Tubby recruited only 4 guys Bogans, Rondo, Prince, and Hayes that spent multiple years in the NBA. I’m not counting the 1998 team because Tubby didn’t recruit them.

Can you imagine how bad it would be if Cal coached a decade with only 4 NBA caliber players? 😳😳

I’m not sure we would make the NCAAT in any season. We would definitely miss it more than we made it.

I think Randolph Morris might have spent more than one season in the league. But your point still stands. The answer to your question is very little.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
I said on another site can you imagine how ugly it would be with Cal coaching Tubby talent?
A poster had a good answer by saying the 9-16 season is what it would look like.

Unless I’m leaving someone out Tubby recruited only 4 guys Bogans, Rondo, Prince, and Hayes that spent multiple years in the NBA. I’m not counting the 1998 team because Tubby didn’t recruit them.

Can you imagine how bad it would be if Cal coached a decade with only 4 NBA caliber players? 😳😳

I’m not sure we would make the NCAAT in any season. We would definitely miss it more than we made it.

Tubby recruited very specific guys for his system. It's not like the guys he recruited lacked talent, but he was also a lot of times very intentionally looking for multi-year guys who fit a specific mold

Would also add Azubuike and Daniels to that list

Is there a point to this thread besides the obvious chance to bash Cal?

Yeah it’s just a thread to bash Cal. Pure and simple. His UMass teams looked like Tubby teams. His Memphis looked like Tubby teams. He won both places.
Cal used to be a great coach and he did win at UMass and Memphis. But Cal was also younger and hungrier to wanna be great. He reached the top of the mountain being at UK, winning a title and getting a lifetime contract. He's lost that fire and is just coasting now. The game has evolved and he has not. Pretty simple.

Cal used to be a great coach and he did win at UMass and Memphis. But Cal was also younger and hungrier to wanna be great. He reached the top of the mountain being at UK, winning a title and getting a lifetime contract. He's lost that fire and is just coasting now. The game has evolved and he has not. Pretty simple.
I think most people his age lose some of their fire and competitiveness.

After reading all responses to this thread, how can there be any debate whatsoever (I’m not counting ignored member) that it’s time for a change? No rational reason at all. The man has to go.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
This guy nailed it. Cal could figure it out and find ways to win at UMass, Memphis. At UMass some of those early teams were terrible but he found away and he is responsible for taking that team from the outhouse to a #1 ranking and FF trip. He was still trying to prove himself then and he was gonna figure it out come hell or high water because it was important to him. Now he poved himself. So he not out to show wat he can do as much. Everybody will usually mention that 95-96 team but go back and look at how he built it and who he built it with and Calipari was an actual coach back then who might switch a defense at times or run a play. He was engaged. It ain't easy to win at UMass.

You nailed it and now he’s using his power for other things like ending generational poverty!

We need to get another coach that’s hungry to win multiple titles and coach for the college game!

Tubby and Cal have one thing in common
They both have 1 NCAA Championship
Tubby is retired why beat this dead horse
That ship has sailed

Merry Christmas everyone !

Cal went to two FF's before UK and had a grand total of 2 McDonald's AA's 9n those teams.
Rose at Memphis and Bright at UMass.
So basically Cal's rosters on average wete less talented than Tubby's.
Seems like he did ok.
Granted he would never go back to that.
No Iona in his future.
He's now a pro coach in a college game.

Cal went to two FF's before UK and had a grand total of 2 McDonald's AA's 9n those teams.
Rose at Memphis and Bright at UMass.
So basically Cal's rosters on average wete less talented than Tubby's.
Seems like he did ok.
Granted he would never go back to that.
No Iona in his future.
He's now a pro coach in a college game.
Yeah, he looks like he's ready to go up against the Golden State Warriors.

Cal would have gone to the FF with several Tubby rosters. Cal went to FF with UMass and Memphis with teams no more talented than what Tubby here.

Tubby had some great teams. Tubby couldn't coach. Tubby had the worst record against teams seeded lower than him for his career. Since Cal has been here he has the best record against teams seeded higher than us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT