ADVERTISEMENT

What assistant, coached in the Bahamas?

Farsight

Junior
Nov 27, 2011
Everyone was super excited when we played in the Bahama's and how we looked. Cal didn't coach them. He watched. We played lose, very competitive, team ball basketball. They all looked like they were having fun. Whose responsible for that? Notice, it was not Cal on the side lines.

Remember when Cal used to get a Tech on purpose to fire up his team? Usually we win those games. Bruiser Flint decided to step up and keep Allen in. He played well at Mississippi State and we came back and won.

Then there was that time when Cal got a Tech at South Carolina and Ulis and Murray won that game for us i believe.

The point is, the players play better when Cal is not on the side lines.

For one road game, I would love to see Cal get a Tech and thrown out and let who ever coached during the Bahamas take over and see what happens.

I was in the Bahamas and this is the same team I saw there. The Bahamas was just one big glorified lay up line. There was no defense played by any teams. I've seen pick up games at the Y with more defense.

I did think that Thiero would get more clock just because of his hustle. It was obvious Wheeler was still Wheeler. Onyenso showed promise but you tell it's a couple years away. The Bahamas was just a feel good trip. I'm sure it did build some confidence that was shattered the first time somebody guarded them.

Reactions: Fox2monk
These posts are beyond laughable. This is not defending Calipari. Those teams in the Balamas were worse than awful. That is why we looked so good. Did you see Adou look great in the Bahamas and then get caught and fall on a steal and fast break yesterday. The talent level of the Bahamas competition and Power 5 basketball is not comparable.

Even with the competition being less than average, we were led to believe that this team would blowout most teams. Just saying, preseason #4 AP poll and now we are unranked.

Even with the competition being less than average, we were led to believe that this team would blowout most teams. Just saying, preseason #4 AP poll and now we are unranked.
BBN allowed themselves to believe this team would blowout most teams. Good high school teams would've blown those teams out in the Bahamas. Other than Oscar and Wheeler nobody else had performed at an elite level in P5 college basketball and saying Wheeler has is a stretch. We got to see them look great in some glorified pickup games and once they got hit in the mouth in some real games they quit.

Reactions: ncaaky
These posts are beyond laughable. This is not defending Calipari. Those teams in the Balamas were worse than awful. That is why we looked so good. Did you see Adou look great in the Bahamas and then get caught and fall on a steal and fast break yesterday. The talent level of the Bahamas competition and Power 5 basketball is not comparable.

I don't think you're quite comprehend the point of the thread. The point being is that we played better as a team, we had enthusiasm, and had fun. Even if it was the terrible Bahama's team. There was chemistry between the players then. Now, we don't have any of that. It doesn't matter who play against. It's those attributes is what this thread was about. My question was simple. Who was the Assistant coach who was coaching these guys at the time?

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
I don't think you're quite comprehend the point of the thread. The point being is that we played better as a team, we had enthusiasm, and had fun. Even if it was the terrible Bahama's team. There was chemistry between the players then. Now, we don't have any of that. It doesn't matter who play against. It's those attributes is what this thread was about. My question was simple. Who was the Assistant coach who was coaching these guys at the time?
I’m not sure if you comprehend basketball. The team has great chemistry and plays loose and fun when playing inferior opponents. The players are not very good compared to the big time teams we have played. That makes them look bad. It is easy to see and comprehend. Playing against much inferior competition is fun and easy.

Reactions: mrdavisanddd
How some of y’all could be fooled to believe playing in the Bahamas against 8th graders was gonna guarantee number 9 is actually hilarious.

I do gotta give it up for those 8th graders down there, they tried hard, but the defense they played was about as good as the defense Alabama’s equipment managers would play.

Reactions: ncaaky
I’m not sure if you comprehend basketball. The team has great chemistry and plays loose and fun when playing inferior opponents. The players are not very good compared to the big time teams we have played. That makes them look bad. It is easy to see and comprehend. Playing against much inferior competition is fun and easy.
LOL I don't think you have reading comprehension. This is not about how you set screens, run an iso, or play 1 3 1 defense or anything of that nature. It's about the mentality they had that should have translated into this season. Whatever assistance coach was coaching those games help amplify that. That's the point.

Every team plays inferior opponents. In matter of fact, it doesn't really matter who you play. You should have the same mentality. That is up to the coach to install that culture. Cal has not done that.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
How some of y’all could be fooled to believe playing in the Bahamas against 8th graders was gonna guarantee number 9 is actually hilarious.

I do gotta give it up for those 8th graders down there, they tried hard, but the defense they played was about as good as the defense Alabama’s equipment managers would play.
Never said that? Geez, some of you need reading comprehension. Stop assuming.

Nah, our players looked unenthused playing Louisville.

Reactions: Farsight
LOL I don't think you have reading comprehension. This is not about how you set screens, run an iso, or play 1 3 1 defense or anything of that nature. It's about the mentality they had that should have translated into this season. Whatever assistance coach was coaching those games help amplify that. That's the point.

Every team plays inferior opponents. In matter of fact, it doesn't really matter who you play. You should have the same mentality. That is up to the coach to install that culture. Cal has not done that.
You must be blind. The team has looked together and played loose and had fun during all of our blow outs this season. It has nothing to do with the assistant coaches in the Bahamas. You just don’t comprehend basketball. The team looks like crap against good teams because they are t very good. If you think having any of the assistants who have failed as head coaches at the head then you are fricKIN clueless. But go on and on about reading comprehension.

Never said that? Geez, some of you need reading comprehension. Stop assuming.

Everyone was super excited when we played in the Bahama's and how we looked. Cal didn't coach them. He watched. We played lose, very competitive, team ball basketball. They all looked like they were having fun. Whose responsible for that? Notice, it was not Cal on the side lines.

Yea you kinda did. Spin it specifically all you want, but you saw something in the Bahamas that got you excited. Me and 4 other guys from RR could have accomplished the same stuff against that competition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT