ADVERTISEMENT

What are the Cats chances of getting RJ Barrett

Jul 23, 2002
What is your opinion on this. Do you think Cal will try to bring Barrett in along with Reddish or Zion Williamson.

They will both be at UK.....mark it down!

Remember Cal sold Vanderbilt, Knox, & Washington Which everyone say would be impossible since they all played basically the same position in high school.

Go back and read some of Reddish's comments during USA U-19, concerning what Cal was telling him then. He basically has already sold Reddish on being a positionless player.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

Remember Cal sold Vanderbilt, Knox, & Washington Which everyone say would be impossible since they all played basically the same position in high school.

Go back and read some of Reddish's comments during USA U-19, concerning what Cal was telling him then. He basically has already sold Reddish on being a positionless player.
Yep. Reddish could play positions 1-4. Makes it easier to find minutes for a guy that versatile.

Reactions: gracetoyou
We could get both, but it seems unlikely.

If we get Williamson, I believe Reddish is the better fit. Better outside stroke. Williamson will be getting the ball a lot. Reddish isn't as ball dominant as Barrett. Reddish can do other things to affect the game. Reddish is the better passer. I just think Williamson and Reddish are more compatible.

Barrett is a beast, though. Scoring machine. I will be happy with either one.

We could get both, but it seems unlikely.

If we get Williamson, I believe Reddish is the better fit. Better outside stroke. Williamson will be getting the ball a lot. Reddish isn't as ball dominant as Barrett. Reddish can do other things to affect the game. Reddish is the better passer. I just think Williamson and Reddish are more compatible.

Barrett is a beast, though. Scoring machine. I will be happy with either one.

Reddish is a glorified Knox...and he will be recruited as such. He's that recruit that UK will get & leave everyone scratching their head.

I think Quickley, King, and one of Bol/Moses/Reid/Shittu are already on board. Cal is managing their announcements while wanting Reddish, Barrett, and Zion to consider playing together.

I used to think that getting any 2 of Langford, Barrett, and Reddish would be impossible. I think that's Calipari's goal. Barrett and Reddish on the same team to join Zion. He will show all 3 how Diallo, Knox, and PJ/JV are playing on the court together and convince them that they can come to UK, play together, and show the world where the best high schoolers should go to shine.

Knowing Quickley, King, and 1 of those 4 bigs is probably already locked down, announcing their commitments can only give other coaches reasons to negatively recruit UK when it comes to Barrett, Reddish, and Zion. Plus, Quickley, King, and a big won't scare off or take any minutes from the 3 big fish. They will be complementary players and be more than happy about it. When you have players like Reddish, Barrett, and Zion, whoever you add to that line-up is just icing on a cake. Quade, Quickley, King, Moses Brown and either WG, PJ, or NR will be fine with those 3 playing all the minutes they want. Quade, Quickley, and 1 of WG/PJ/NR will probably return and get 25-30mpg, the big 3 split 100 minutes, and Shai/King/whichever big signed/SKJ get 10mpg up to 20mpg depending on which 7-8 make the rotation.

Screw Bagley or Romeo Langford. I think Cal is going for the HR in one of the deepest and most talented high school classes since the year Cal took the job, IMO. Wall, Bledsoe, and Cousins are great in the NBA. Coming into college, they didn't look much more dominant than any 1 of Reddish, Barrett, and Zion when comparing HS accomplishments and accolades. I'd take any of those 3 over anyone in this year's class. More talent than Porter, IMO and even over Bagley if he is officially reclassified.

If Cal gets those 3, it'll be the biggest accomplishment he has ever done in recruiting. Maybe the biggest anyone has ever accomplished.

I think Quickley, King, and one of Bol/Moses/Reid/Shittu are already on board. Cal is managing their announcements while wanting Reddish, Barrett, and Zion to consider playing together.

I used to think that getting any 2 of Langford, Barrett, and Reddish would be impossible. I think that's Calipari's goal. Barrett and Reddish on the same team to join Zion. He will show all 3 how Diallo, Knox, and PJ/JV are playing on the court together and convince them that they can come to UK, play together, and show the world where the best high schoolers should go to shine.

Knowing Quickley, King, and 1 of those 4 bigs is probably already locked down, announcing their commitments can only give other coaches reasons to negatively recruit UK when it comes to Barrett, Reddish, and Zion. Plus, Quickley, King, and a big won't scare off or take any minutes from the 3 big fish. They will be complementary players and be more than happy about it. When you have players like Reddish, Barrett, and Zion, whoever you add to that line-up is just icing on a cake. Quade, Quickley, King, Moses Brown and either WG, PJ, or NR will be fine with those 3 playing all the minutes they want. Quade, Quickley, and 1 of WG/PJ/NR will probably return and get 25-30mpg, the big 3 split 100 minutes, and Shai/King/whichever big signed/SKJ get 10mpg up to 20mpg depending on which 7-8 make the rotation.

I think Reid is a last resort for big men. I really don't see him being a Cat. He has slipped a little bit and is behind Bol, Shittu, and Moses Brown. Brown has slipped as well, but he is still the better prospect between him and Reid. I think McCormack could get into the mix.

I think the guy Cal really wants at the 5 is Bol. Bol fits best with Williamson at the 4. Williamson is a beast inside the paint. He can face up or post up. He has good range for a 4. Bol is a stretch 5. Cal will work on his post up game, but will have Williamson with the ball when he really needs a basket inside. That will allow Bol to operate outside of the paint with his jump shot. In other words, Bol will play like a 4 on offense with Williamson playing like a 5 on offense a lot of the time. That creates some major mismatches for both. On defense, Williamson plays the 4 and Bol the 5. That gives us the rim protector we need inside. Bol is a little thin, but at 7'2-7'3 he will erase a lot of shots at the rim.

Ideally, this is what Cal wants:

G Quickley- the PG he has been on since the beginning.
G Reddish- a big guard that can do just about everything.
F Barrett- the best scorer in this class.
F Williamson- the best inside/outside combo player in this class.
F Bol- the best big in the class. A 7'3 AD/Noel/WCS type.

I think if he gets that, he is done. He might sign King if he thinks there is room.

He hopes to get that and return a handful of experienced guys: Green, Baker, Gilgeous-Alexander, Killeya-Jones, and Wynyard. If anyone else returns it's bonus.

Realistically, I think we get one of Reddish and Barrett. Then he gets King as a plan b.

I think Bol is going to be hard to get at this point. Shittu might be the best bet inside.

I wouldn't be surprised to get:

G Quickley
G Reddish
F King
F Williamson
F Shittu

That's two top 5 guys, plus two more top 10 guys, plus one more top 15 guy. That's a great class. Especially considering we are most likely getting 4-6 guys back from this team.

Bucsrule, yet again, it appears we are in 100% agreement across the board.

My big theory is the hold up on commits is Cal convincing Barrett, Reddish, and Zion to all come. Quickley is a lock. King too if Cal wants him. Bol is probably his #1 big, but I don't think there's a big gap in Cal's opinion between Bol, Moses, and Shittu, personally.

If Cal gets those big 3, it won't matter who else commits or comes back, anyway. AD and MKG won a title as #1 and #2 in the draft. I'm sure with Zion, Barrett, and Reddish going #1, #2, and #3 in the draft, the results will be pretty similarly! Ha ha!

What an exciting class and great time to be a UK fan...

If they did win it all, those 3 will prob go top 3, Bol or Shittu would certainly go lottery, SO Quade would also surely be a 1st rounder. Late 1st like Tyus Jones & Marquis Teague did in a similar situation after being the PG on a NT team, if I were to guess. I don't see Quickley or King as a OAD. Whatever else would happen in the draft would be based on who returns.

If a WG/PJ/JV/NR were still around, they'd surely go in the 1st as a JR WG or SO PJ/JV/NR.

Even if none of those 4 returned, that'd be the top 3, a lotto, and another 1sr rounder. Talk about a ridiculous amount of talent...

So that'd leave a SO Quickley, SO King, JR Shai, JR Jemarl, SR TAI, and SR SKJ. That'd be an excellent team to build on if UK were coming off a NT. 2 PG/SG, 2 Wings, and 2 Bigs. Add Bassey, a stud wing, and PF and UK wouldn't miss a beat. Along with a couple multi-year players peppered in.

Are you nearly as excited as I am about this year, and the next couple, bucsrule? Reminds me of 1995. If so, I don't see Cal losing 97 to break up the 3 peat! Ha ha!

Last edited:
What is your opinion on this. Do you think Cal will try to bring Barrett in along with Reddish or Zion Williamson.
According to reports, Barrett has narrowed his list and Kentucky is still on it. People can say they hope he comes to Kentucky. At this point, I don't see how anyone can say more than that. He hasn't tipped his hand.

It would be nice if you were right. Kentucky is on their lists, so it's possible. But I haven't seen anything that would allow me to say more than simply Kentucky is on their lists.

Really feel like it's "either or" with Reddish and Barrett.

Cal has never gotten three top 5 guys, especially not when they are projected at the same position.

Now having said that, they can all play together if they want. Reddish and Barrett on the wings with Williamson at the 4. They fit, if they don't mind sharing the spotlight.

I will be happy with Reddish or Barrett, obviously.

Quickley, Reddish or Barrett, and Williamson are enough to put us in the title conversation, if we return some key guys from this team.

bucsrule8872, I still feel the same about Reddish and Barrett at this time. I'm starting to think that there's a much greater chance at it happening than either of us are even considering, though... I think the hold up is that both prefer UK and neither wants to have to go to Duke because of it, since they can't "ever share a college basketball court together."

I think things are going to start happening fast, real fast around BBM as all the top UK recruits are still confirming their level of interest and make their choice. 7 of the top 20 prefer UK, from what I understand. That's insanely cool.

Knox, vando and PJ playing together will be huge. They will end up lotto picks and show Cal can and will play positionless.
Probably telling Barrett, Zion and cam to watch those 3 this year.
Send that ****ing rat splinter back to the sewer he came from.

I went from impossible to improbable. You got to start having the faith, bucs! Changing your stance to improbable isn't going to hurt anyone.

Really hope you guys that say that we will get Reddish and Barrett together are right.

I think it's possible but not probable.

Both may wait to commit late but one may pull trigger quicker. How Vanderbilt, Knox, Washington project develops this season will have a huge impact on what the one who waits does.

They may both be Spring commits but don't be shocked if one pulls trigger in fall.

Come on, bucsrule8872, at this point what would you say the chances are if getting both Reddish and Barrett. Impossible isn't a word today. You'll heed a new adjective....9

in addition to all this Cam+Barrett talk, poor Romeo Langford sits texting freaking Archie Miller right now. if either commits or leans elsewhere, we should just drive 90 min north and take a top 5 overall kid that shoots better than anyone in the class I have seen after following his HS career very close.
Poor mess in Bloomington has Archie showing how desperately he is. Mom won't let him go to UL. Duke says hi,but are in the same mode as UK while waiting on Cam and Reddish. Romeo picked the worst class to be in with the class of 17/18. Bagley if he stays is ahead, Barrett too, ditto Cam.Bol is ahead.3 of 6 in King, Quickley, Grimes, Moses, & J Brown, and Shittu also compare favorably. Throw in Zion and top shooter and best SG is possibly #8 overall while being the #1 G and showing signs of a long all.star type player that is getting the love of #8.overall despite being top 3 in a normal class without doubt.

Really hope you guys that say that we will get Reddish and Barrett together are right.

I think it's possible but not probable.
I agree, it's improbable. By now, everyone knows we get Quickley. It's looking good for Williamson too. I think Calipari's chances to sign Reddish are increasing, but it's far from being a sure thing. It's way too early to even guess what Barrett will do. I just don't see Williamson. Reddish, Barrett all signing with the same program. Why would they? All 3 are scoring wings. (Which is also why Langford isn't high on Calipari's current list and King hasn't gotten an offer.) If we get Quickley, Williamson, plus either Reddish or Barrett, that's the foundation for Calipari's best class yet, if he can find the right big to go with them. We probably won't get Bagley, and I don't see any signs that we will get Bol or Brown either. But Shittu, McCormack, Reid appear possible if Calipari wants 1 of them and pushes harder. Remember, all of UK's current bigs except Washington should return next year.

Richards is a projected lottery pick on several mock drafts based on his record setting measurables at the USA vs. World game. At his height, he broke the previous standing vertical all while getting his wingspan officially measured at 7'4". He had a real humble upbringing, as well. A million dollars would forever change his and his family's life in a big way. I cannot see him returning or blame him for leaving one bit.

At the U-19 games, PJ was a young Charles Barkley out there. His stats & abundance of minutes played drew loads of attention.

Then, at 6'10", Jarred Vanderbilt is my favorite player. Can play the 2 or 5 without issue and has been touted as the best point forward seen in ages.

With PJ possibly considered a tweener by scouts, he may be back. JV & NR will join Knox & Diallo as OAD.

No guarantees, but we probably get a few guys back. Remember 2014 when we had five top 10 sure fire OAD guys coming in? Three came back. Now we are expecting lower ranked guys to do what they could not?

Gabriel, Briscoe, The Twins, Johnson, Lee, Poythress, Wiltjer, and Lamb should all be cautionary tales for those who believe that every 5-star player to play for Cal should automatically be pencilled in to the lottery or at least first round.

Richards is a projected lottery pick on several mock drafts based on his record setting measurables at the USA vs. World game. At his height, he broke the previous standing vertical all while getting his wingspan officially measured at 7'4". He had a real humble upbringing, as well. A million dollars would forever change his and his family's life in a big way. I cannot see him returning or blame him for leaving one bit.

At the U-19 games, PJ was a young Charles Barkley out there. His stats & abundance of minutes played drew loads of attention.

Then, at 6'10", Jarred Vanderbilt is my favorite player. Can play the 2 or 5 without issue and has been touted as the best point forward seen in ages.

With PJ possibly considered a tweener by scouts, he may be back. JV & NR will join Knox & Diallo as OAD.

We will probably get one of Vanderbilt, Washington, and Richards back. Just don't know which one at this point.

I don't see Green as OAD. Too small to spend a first round pick on.

Green and one of Vanderbilt, Washington, and Richards added to Quickley, Williamson, and Reddish or Barrett would give us a superstar starting lineup. Killeya-Jones, Gilgeous-Alexnader, Baker, and Wynyard provide excellent depth.

Reactions: EclipsingYou
Here's what some are forgetting. They are minors. They change their minds like the wind blows. That said, I don't think bucs is wrong. We are uk fans and hate duke and Louisville. A kid from anywhere but those two places don't care what other teams say about them. Reddish said talking to K was like talking to god. Kevin Knox was a heavy lean to somewhere in North Carolina, you see where he ended up. You get the point

Reactions: smooth as butter
bucsrules, shouldn't that say "Reddish or Barrett since getting both remains to seem improbable".

What happened to improving the odds from impossible to improbable?

Either way, if getting one is the only option, I think Cal could have a commitment made on live tv in Louisville in less than 2 days if needed. Archie is begging for him, but Romeo has no desire to spend his OAD losing. Mom won't allow him to attend UL due to the crazy amount of shenanigans going on there.

Cal and Ratface remain in contact but can't do much of anything while waiting on Barrett and Reddish.

Seeing someone like Avery Johnson or Bruce Pearl should come up to New Albany, promise him 20 shots and 35 mpg while never being sat on the bench besides fouls. Promise him the world while convincing him Auburn and Alabama are only missing him to be a top 10 team.

I could see that happen and him fall for it. Couldn't really blame him. In any other class he is a De'aaron Fox or Malik Monk type recruit and the top overall guard EASILY. It just so happens he is just another top 10 recruit with this class probably being the greatest since Rivals began. Who else was in LeBron's?

Zion, Barrett, Reddish, and Bagley are future NBA superstars.

Bol, Quickley, Grimes, Shittu, Langford, and a few others are possibly future all star level players.

I wouldn't be shocked at all l to see 8 all stars annually from this recruiting class. I'd say any that produces more than 4 is SPECTACULAR.

If a number as high as 8 is realistic. There's probably more NBA talent in this class than in the last 3 classes combined LOL.

I mean, do you realize Monk and Fox would have a hard time to be top 15 prospects had they stayed in school another year. What Romeo has accomplished blows Monk and Fox coming into college out of the water.

And see all the attention Romeo is fighting off...

bucsrules, shouldn't that say "Reddish or Barrett since getting both remains to seem improbable".

What happened to improving the odds from impossible to improbable?

Either way, if getting one is the only option, I think Cal could have a commitment made on live tv in Louisville in less than 2 days if needed. Archie is begging for him, but Romeo has no desire to spend his OAD losing. Mom won't allow him to attend UL due to the crazy amount of shenanigans going on there.

Cal and Ratface remain in contact but can't do much of anything while waiting on Barrett and Reddish.

Seeing someone like Avery Johnson or Bruce Pearl should come up to New Albany, promise him 20 shots and 35 mpg while never being sat on the bench besides fouls. Promise him the world while convincing him Auburn and Alabama are only missing him to be a top 10 team.

I could see that happen and him fall for it. Couldn't really blame him. In any other class he is a De'aaron Fox or Malik Monk type recruit and the top overall guard EASILY. It just so happens he is just another top 10 recruit with this class probably being the greatest since Rivals began. Who else was in LeBron's?

Zion, Barrett, Reddish, and Bagley are future NBA superstars.

Bol, Quickley, Grimes, Shittu, Langford, and a few others are possibly future all star level players.

I wouldn't be shocked at all l to see 8 all stars annually from this recruiting class. I'd say any that produces more than 4 is SPECTACULAR.

If a number as high as 8 is realistic. There's probably more NBA talent in this class than in the last 3 classes combined LOL.

I mean, do you realize Monk and Fox would have a hard time to be top 15 prospects had they stayed in school another year. What Romeo has accomplished blows Monk and Fox coming into college out of the water.

And see all the attention Romeo is fighting off...

I never said that it would be impossible to get Reddish and Barrett. It just isn't likely.

But who knows? If anyone can pull it off, it's Cal.

Reactions: EclipsingYou
bucsrule8872,

YES! I have successfully got you to go from impossible to unlikely.

Before you know it, unlikely will change into it being a longshot...

Slowly getting you all aboard my signing the big 3 train!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT