ADVERTISEMENT

What 5 coaches from Power 5 conferences would you never want at Kentucky.

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
Mine would be.

1. - Tony Bennett,- Those 49 to 44 scores are more than I could take.
2. - Sean Miller, - Recruits better than anyone, other than UK, Duke,& Kansas. Yet has never been to a Final 4.
3. - Roy Williams, - He can cheat at UNCheats & get by with it. But if he came here & started his cheating ways. The NCAA would bury us.
4/5 - The Drew brothers, - Bryce, & Scott, - They recruit too well to be at nothing basketball programs. If one of them came here. The NCAA committee on infractions would move their office to Lexington

I don't mind Bryce so much. I would shutter at the possibility of hiring both Millers, Self, Williams, Bennet.

Guess I cound handle Izzo or Jay Wright.

Without really thinking about it, my guess is the first 3 names on your list would be among the top 10 coaches in the country, by consensus. Not saying I disagree or agree with your choices, but it is ironic you start with those 3. But the guy at Nebraska or Boston College or Washington State, etc would be OK?

Reactions: WildMoon and Apoxie
Mine would be.

1. - Tony Bennett,- Those 49 to 44 scores are more than I could take.
2. - Sean Miller, - Recruits better than anyone, other than UK, Duke,& Kansas. Yet has never been to a Final 4.
3. - Roy Williams, - He can cheat at UNCheats & get by with it. But if he came here & started his cheating ways. The NCAA would bury us.
4/5 - The Drew brothers, - Bryce, & Scott, - They recruit too well to be at nothing basketball programs. If one of them came here. The NCAA committee on infractions would move their office to Lexington

1. Tony Bennett
2. Steve Alford
3. Richard Pitino
4. Scott Drew
5. Mike Anderson

Coaches I'd never want.

Roy Williams/Jim Boehiem - ACC (He's too tarnished and not very likable. Boehiem is equally as bad, can't pick)
Mike Anderson - SEC (Arkansas can keep their thug coaches, who are overrated anyway)
Bruce Weber - Big12 (guy just simply sucks, and is very annoying. Couldn't deal with it)
Ernie Kent - Pac12 (the guy sucks, and some considered him a candidate here in 08, I was gonna puke)
Pat Chambers - Big1G (guy clearly sucks and we'd bleed to death. )

Coaches I'd take, or would have at one time?

Bob Huggins - Big12( Love his style, love his hard nosed play. I think at one point in his life he could have coached here and won, although I'm not sure he could have hung a banner. Just don't think Self could stay out of trouble at a school like UK where they aim for your head, both media and rivals )
Mark White - SEC ( I really think he's going to be the real deal and eventually will end up at a blue blood.)
Mike Brey - ACC ( I think he could do some real damage at a program like UK. I seriously would not want coach K anywhere near UK, he wouldn't be protected here and we'd be on probation fast.)
PAC12 (Gotta be Miller but I reserve the right to withdraw this in the case he finds himself fired over the Adidas scandal. )

Coaches I'd never want.

Roy Williams/Jim Boehiem - ACC (He's too tarnished and not very likable. Boehiem is equally as bad, can't pick)
Mike Anderson - SEC (Arkansas can keep their thug coaches, who are overrated anyway)
Bruce Weber - Big12 (guy just simply sucks, and is very annoying. Couldn't deal with it)
Ernie Kent - Pac12 (the guy sucks, and some considered him a candidate here in 08, I was gonna puke)

Bob Huggins - Big12( Love his style, love his hard nosed play. I think at one point in his life he could have coached here and won, although I'm not sure he could have hung a banner. Just don't think Self could stay out of trouble at a school like UK where they aim for your head, both media and rivals )
Mark White - SEC ( I really think he's going to be the real deal and eventually will end up at a blue blood.)
Mike Brey - ACC ( I think he could do some real damage at a program like UK. I seriously would not want coach K anywhere near UK, he wouldn't be protected here and we'd be on probation fast.)
PAC12 (Gotta be Miller but I reserve the right to withdraw this in the case he finds himself fired over the Adidas scandal. )

Glad I’m not alone. Huggins would have been good. He’s got a certain “swag” to him and many times has a “bad boy vibe” for some of his teams

Bennett
Anderson
Stallings
Pearl
Alford

I like
White
Lil Miller
Huggins
Wade (LSU)
Beiline...sp

What’s with all the Huggins love. That guy has literally been spotted tying one on before games. Not to mention he looks like he could croak at any moment during games.

Coaches I'd never want.

I like the dude at Villanova

The ones coaching at uncheat, pook, bloomerton, ucla., and the one up the road. If they coach there can't coach here. Period. Also don't want any coach from Knoxville. Sorry. Also don't want any more coaches from Texas. Ever. They are not tough enough. Just remembering the sight of that poor sot breaking down in tears beside Joe Crawford on senior day . . . so pitiful. Never knew My Old Kentucky Home can do that to a Texan until Billy let the water go. Also, stretching the power 5 just a bit here perhaps, but I think we've probably tapped it dry at Memphis too.

Glad I’m not alone. Huggins would have been good. He’s got a certain “swag” to him and many times has a “bad boy vibe” for some of his teams

Yep. And gen would have embraced the hate in a way we've never seen.

What’s with all the Huggins love. That guy has literally been spotted tying one on before games. Not to mention he looks like he could croak at any moment during games.

I think it would have been interesting at one time to see what he could have done here.

Some people forget, not every coach kissed ass and climbed the latter with their shit nose leading. Guys like Huggins took what they have, he wasn't given anything. I like those types, just like Cal.

And they fit perfectly with Kentucky. Hall was another one.

Gotta see it for what it is, not what espn / NCAA tells you it is.

Literally! Not just tying one on. He was “literally” doing it.

Tubby is the only one stupid enough to let his opposing coaches main mentor watch practice, take notes, the whole shebang.. But yeah five in no order i would not take is Anderson, obvious reasons, Scott Drew, guy is a NCAA violation ready to happen, its just nobody gives a shit about Waco, Texas. Steve Alford, guy is badly overrated as a coach and is guilty by association with Indiana and Knight. Shaka Smart, play style is stuck in the 90s too much and he will do whatever he has to get a recruit. Mike Brey\Cris Collins, both are Dukies to the core and would just love an opportunity along with ratface to tear Kentucky down from behind the scenes..

Even though it's not the point of the thread, this thread reminds me of this up-&-comer coach that I really wanted us to go after in 89 (after Sutton). He had taken a wrecked program to the F4 in 3 of the past 4 years, but with no titles. Oh, and you couldn't spell his name, but it began w/ the letter K, so that was a good sign, right.

Reactions: tw3301
I think Bill Self has to be one of the most underwhelming coaches in the country. Guy beats up in cream puffs in the Big 12, but is terrible against the Big Boys from the Pacific 12 or Missouri Valley Conferences.

The more I watch Marshall from Wichita State the more I dislike him. He stalks the sidelines in a Crean-like way and REALLY bitches to the refs in a most annoying way.

WOW! This thread does not give me confidence on our next hire but then again whoever comes next will be filling big shoes. Many of these guys are at the end of their careers anyway so we will be going young. Everyone should expect it to be a bridge hire anyway.

Lot of Tony Bennett hate ITT. Guy has been pretty successful with minimal talent at a school no one cares about. I get his style is boring as hell to watch on the offensive end, but he sure as hell gets his teams ready defensively. I understand people don't want to watch a 53-49 score, but I think if he had the athletes and the talent to go along with his coaching, he could succeed here. Just not sure he could pull in the players that people want (5 stars).

Heard a stat on the radio that Jay Wright is 109-12 in their last 121 games... not sure why thats the window they chose, but pretty solid stat. He’d he one id take for sure. Seems like a good guy.

Reactions: MWes11
Lot of Tony Bennett hate ITT. Guy has been pretty successful with minimal talent at a school no one cares about. I get his style is boring as hell to watch on the offensive end, but he sure as hell gets his teams ready defensively. I understand people don't want to watch a 53-49 score, but I think if he had the athletes and the talent to go along with his coaching, he could succeed here. Just not sure he could pull in the players that people want (5 stars).
He's not winniing titles with that style.

He's not winniing titles with that style.
I think he has to play that style because he doesn't have the horses offensively and can't get them at Virginia. Everyone can learn to play excellent defense because 90% of it is effort. Not everyone can be great offensively. If he had the players to be great offensively, he would switch his style, imo.

But I agree with @YaySports . My choice would be Jay Wright. Can coach and recruit. Plus, he is best dressed in the business NH.

Reactions: YaySports
ADVERTISEMENT