ADVERTISEMENT

Wes Miller (UNC Greensboro coach) to Cincinnati

Very good hire. Lots of talk earlier about him replacing Ole Roy.

Yep. My guess is he likely finished second in that race, but it seems like Roy had been training Hubert Davis to be the next guy up, so it went to Hubert. But like I said, if Hubert doesn't work out (and again, I'm not saying he won't) and Wes does well at Cincinnati, I could easily see him being UNC's next coach.

I feel like UNC didn't hire Hubert, he just moved all his stuff into Roy's office and he left and they were afraid to tell him to move it back so they just gave him the head job. Bill Guthridge probably did the same thing back in the day.

Also with UNC Greensboro open, maybe Justus or Barbee will interview.

I feel like UNC didn't hire Hubert, he just moved all his stuff into Roy's office and he left and they were afraid to tell him to move it back so they just gave him the head job. Bill Guthridge probably did the same thing back in the day.

UNC Greensboro is in Justus stomping grounds. He couldn't land the job at his alma mater last year, so maybe he can land one in the area he grew up. It would be a great day for him and UK basketball.

Second best hire this off-season behind Beard to Texas?

Probably at least top 5. Oklahoma did well with the Porter Moser hire and Marquette may have done well buying low on Shaka Smart, who I think could do better at a place like Marquette where the conference isn't as tough and the expectations aren't quite as high. This is unless you think Smart and Moser are/were flukes with their Final Four runs.

Reactions: bigc45157
That’s a slam dunk for a program like Cincinnati
"Like Cincinnati"? They are 12th in all-time wins....15th in NCAAT appearances...2 National titles....Second longest consecutive FF appearances( 5 straight. Tied with Duke). Top 10 in Final Fours(6 trips). Currently have been to 9 straight NCAAT's.

Its a good hire. Very good. But Cincy has a very good hstry.

Reactions: Kyhoward
LOL.

"Cincinnati capitulated to cancel culture. What coach would want to go there now?"

"Like Cincinnati"? They are 12th in all-time wins....15th in NCAAT appearances...2 National titles....Second longest consecutive FF appearances( 5 straight. Tied with Duke). Top 10 in Final Fours(6 trips). Currently have been to 9 straight NCAAT's.

They made the tourney 9 straight years before missing it this past year.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Really not impressed with Wes Miller. 58% winning percentage at UNC Greensboro with no NCAA tournament wins. What’s all the hype about? And yeah I get it, he was the underdog as a low seed in the tournament and didn’t pull an upset. They weren’t expected to win, so that’s not an indictment in Miller in and of itself. But look at Shaka Smart, a guy who had MUCH more success on a lower level, and doesn’t seem to be the real deal. Obviously UC isn’t as high profile as UT, and I can see it being a good fit for Miller, but he has produced basically the same results at Greensboro that Brannen produced at NKU.

Reactions: Kuhldaddy

Great history, good program, but there current status is not where the Big O and Huggins had them operating at. They could be scary with the right coach, but even Mick was a second round flameout at best there.

Nah, they are going for a winner.

Also with UNC Greensboro open, maybe Justus or Barbee will interview
There is a reason why they're still here nobody wants Cal's rejects they will be here till Cal say they won't

Cincinnati won titles in the sixties, but couldn't win when they had one of the best players of all times in Oscar Robertson.

It is telling that Cal's coaching tree has been pruned. Other than KP who left to be an assistant in the NBA can't remember the last coach to leave to take a HC job.

Probably at least top 5. Oklahoma did well with the Porter Moser hire and Marquette may have done well buying low on Shaka Smart, who I think could do better at a place like Marquette where the conference isn't as tough and the expectations aren't quite as high. This is unless you think Smart and Moser are/were flukes with their Final Four runs.
I doubt there's very high expectations in basketball at Texas.

It is telling that Cal's coaching tree has been pruned. Other than KP who left to be an assistant in the NBA can't remember the last coach to leave to take a HC job.
Antigua did a few years ago. Not sure what year. Maybe '15.

They’ve been to one Final 4 in 58 years, 3 Elite 8’s in the last 59. Sure their history is good if you look all the way back to the 60’s. The program Cincinnati is now is by no means a standard of excellence. Miller was probably the best possible hire they could’ve hoped for, IMO

Reactions: Kuhldaddy
They’ve been to one Final 4 in 58 years, 3 Elite 8’s in the last 59. Sure their history is good if you look all the way back to the 60’s. The program Cincinnati is now is by no means a standard of excellence. Miller was probably the best possible hire they could’ve hoped for, IMO
Who said it was a standard of excellence? Cincy is a Top 10-15 job. Great location...facilities....fan base..history, etc, etc...No its not an elite job, or an elite program. But its not some "run of the mill" program at all----Which was insinuated. I mean in the past 20 years, they have been to 15 NCAAT's.. Had one bad decade---1980;s---No NCAAT from 1980-1989. Then of course became a household name under Huggins....Struggled a tad after he resigned---Reemerged under Cronin, and have been pretty stable, consistent ever since.

Very good job IMO, that is a sleeping giant TBH.

Really not impressed with Wes Miller. 58% winning percentage at UNC Greensboro with no NCAA tournament wins. What’s all the hype about? And yeah I get it, he was the underdog as a low seed in the tournament and didn’t pull an upset. They weren’t expected to win, so that’s not an indictment in Miller in and of itself. But look at Shaka Smart, a guy who had MUCH more success on a lower level, and doesn’t seem to be the real deal. Obviously UC isn’t as high profile as UT, and I can see it being a good fit for Miller, but he has produced basically the same results at Greensboro that Brannen produced at NKU.
I think this sentiment has a sound basis and may have played a role in him not getting the UNC job. If he does well at Cincy, though, I expect that he'll be next in line when Davis flounders. He needed to move to a larger program to show he can be elite.

Reactions: BigKari
ADVERTISEMENT