ADVERTISEMENT

Were The Beatles a 'rock' band?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Had an interesting back-and-forth with a friend of mine about The Beatles. I'll turn 60 this year so they were just about broken up before I knew who they were. Plus, the era from which they sprung didn't have all the sub-genres we have now where every group is subdivided into some category three levels down from 'rock'. So, all that has to go into the original question: were The Beatles a 'rock' band or a 'pop' band?

I'd argue, from about Revolver onward, they were a 'pop' band. Even McCartney stated that their music sprung from a lot more influences than some of their contemporaries (Stones, Who, Animals, Kinks, et al). You can definitely hear more Tin Pan Alley and Broadway (chord voicings, harmonies, chord progressions, etc.) in their Revolver+ music than you do in others from the same era. Certainly, many of their British Invasion cohorts had plenty of 'pop' songs early in their career, too, but most went more towards 'rock' than 'pop'. For my taste, The Beatles produced too many novelty songs, nonsense songs and songs that incorporated weird sounds and effects just because they liked to experiment. The Stone's Her Satanic Majesties album was a complete ripoff of Sgt Peppers and a complete fiasco of non-songs and weird sounds. From Jumpin Jack Flash (1968) onward, though, they didn't produce a lot of pure pop songs although influences like country, soul, gospel, etc. creeped into many songs alongside the blues influences which were very obvious. The Who were pretty much the same. The Kinks sort of followed The Beatles, imo, road in that they started as a 'rock' band but evolved into more of a 'pop' band for a while before going more rock later.

Of course, categorizing them now is difficult as there wasn't much/any difference to the audience in the early 60s regarding rock vs. pop - it was basically all lumped together. And The Beatles certainly had some later songs that were definitely rock. Overall, though, their work once they stopped touring was more what I would classify (with a great deal of looking backwards vision) as pop.

Thoughts?

Reactions: WTF Cat
Definitely a pop band.

Comparing them to real rock bands like Zep, Cream, Stones, Hendrix, etc is useless.

As a bar band guitarist I don't think I've ever sat down and wanted to learn a Beatles guitar solo note for note.

At the beginning they were. I mean pre-1964. Was there even pop music as we know it before 64?

Of course they were a rock band. They created the template in fact. Wrote their own songs. Moved into psychedelia then harder sounds (how do you call the White Album and Abbey Road "pop"?). Grew their hair long, used drugs, etc.

It seems like people these days think of rock as just hard rock and metal. If you don't consider the Beatles rock, there has got to be a ton of rock bands from the 80s and 90s that you don't consider rock either.

Of course they were a rock band. They created the template in fact. Wrote their own songs. Moved into psychedelia then harder sounds (how do you call the White Album and Abbey Road "pop"?). Grew their hair long, used drugs, etc.

It seems like people these days think of rock as just hard rock and metal. If you don't consider the Beatles rock, there has got to be a ton of rock bands from the 80s and 90s that you don't consider rock either.
In the 60's I'm pretty sure some of the gospel singers were even doing drugs. 🤣

Reactions: K86
The Beatles were a heavy metal band. Check out this album cover they created that got denied by the record label at the last minute...

KERRANG_METAL_BEATLES.jpg

On a serious note...my answer is both.

The Beatles were a pop band for sure. But they definitely pushed the edge of what was considered pop music at the time & they have influenced plenty of legit rock musicians.

Just to name a few...Helter Skelter, I Want You (She’s So Heavy), Run For Your Life, Revolution, Come Together...all legit rock songs.

At the time of their popularity, they were a rock band. If they came around 10 years later (or even later than that) they would have been branded a pop band and probably would not have had the success that they enjoyed.

We've definitely sub-categorized music a lot more than is necessary since the Beatles arrived

They're an interesting band for sure

I like a couple of their later songs and definitely respect / appreciate their contributions to how music is recorded and engineered in the studio

Have you listened to the White Album lately?
-Back in the USSR: very soft, Beach Boyish but I'd give it the benefit of the doubt; rock
-Dear Prudence - pop
- Glass Onion - rock
-Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - pop
-Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill - pop
-While My Guitar Gently Weeps - rock
-Happiness is a Warm Gun - benefit of doubt, rock
-Martha My Dear - pop
- I'm So Tired - pop
- Blackbird - pop
- Piggies - pop
- Rocky Raccoon - pop
- Don't Pass Me By - pop
- Why Don't We Do It in the Road - rock
- I Will - pop
-Julia - pop
-Birthday - rock
- Yer Blues - rock
- Mother Nature's Son - pop
- Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and my Monkey - rock
- Sexy Sadie - pop
-Helter Skelter - rock
- Long, Long, Long - pop
-Revolution - rock
- Honey Pie - pop
- Savoy Truffle - rock
- Cry Baby Cry - pop
- Good Night - pop

I'm not slagging on them but there are several more pure pop songs (how I define it, anyway) on The White Album than there are rock songs. Just because you play an electric guitar and have somewhat of a backbeat doesn't mean you're playing rock. I mean, The Monkees did that, right? And I don't classify 'rock' as only Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, metal, etc. I mean, REM was a terrific rock band but they certainly weren't metal. The Byrds, CCR, Tom Petty, Heart, Fleetwood Mac, Stray Cats, and many others I'd consider 'rock' aren't heavy. So, I don't fall into that category. It is difficult, though, to view the early 60s bands through the lens of their own time period. The Beatles pretty much created massive pop/rock music and many others followed their lead. As the music scene matured and expanded, imo, their music became more 'pop' than 'rock'.

Which bands pre-Beatles were rock & roll while the Beatles weren't (if that's what you think)? Why?

No one in the '60's didn't think Beatles weren't rock & roll.

Which bands pre-Beatles were rock & roll while the Beatles weren't (if that's what you think)? Why?

No one in the '60's didn't think Beatles weren't rock & roll.
Again, it's hard to view them in the time they became big because I was very young in the mid-60s. And, when they first became big, pop music included rock, rockabilly, blues, soul, etc. so it's difficult in our era of branding every band with a subdivision (how many types of metal are there?) to understand that 'pop' in 1964 could include Gerry and the Pacemakers, Sonny and Cher, Pat Boone, Neil Diamond and The Stones/Animals/Who.

Pre-Beatles would be the 50s so I'd put Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, Little Richard, some of the Chicago blues guys, Bo Diddley, et al. as rock. Concurrent with The Beatles, you had The Who, The Stones, The Animals, early Kinks, Yardbirds, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, et al. and that's just in Britain.

I thought I explained the 'why' in the OP. Their music structure, chord progressions, chord voicings, harmonies, etc. were a lot more in sync with pop music as well as Broadway show tunes and Tin Pan Alley. If you think about it, you could name 10-15 tunes that are just smarmy, mushy, saccharine sweet pop tunes that the Beatles created and made famous. I don't say that to denigrate them but to understand their place in popular music better. They created some great songs that will last another 100 years or more. But, when viewed as a whole, their discography would, at least in my mind with 99% of my music immersion happening after the Beatles broke up, be classified, in a broad sense, 'pop' music, not 'rock' music. There was no or very, very little difference in 1964 between the two. There is a chasm like the Grand Canyon between them now.

Again, it's hard to view them in the time they became big because I was very young in the mid-60s. And, when they first became big, pop music included rock, rockabilly, blues, soul, etc. so it's difficult in our era of branding every band with a subdivision (how many types of metal are there?) to understand that 'pop' in 1964 could include Gerry and the Pacemakers, Sonny and Cher, Pat Boone, Neil Diamond and The Stones/Animals/Who.

Pre-Beatles would be the 50s so I'd put Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, Little Richard, some of the Chicago blues guys, Bo Diddley, et al. as rock. Concurrent with The Beatles, you had The Who, The Stones, The Animals, early Kinks, Yardbirds, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, et al. and that's just in Britain.

I thought I explained the 'why' in the OP. Their music structure, chord progressions, chord voicings, harmonies, etc. were a lot more in sync with pop music as well as Broadway show tunes and Tin Pan Alley. If you think about it, you could name 10-15 tunes that are just smarmy, mushy, saccharine sweet pop tunes that the Beatles created and made famous. I don't say that to denigrate them but to understand their place in popular music better. They created some great songs that will last another 100 years or more. But, when viewed as a whole, their discography would, at least in my mind with 99% of my music immersion happening after the Beatles broke up, be classified, in a broad sense, 'pop' music, not 'rock' music. There was no or very, very little difference in 1964 between the two. There is a chasm like the Grand Canyon between them now.
I'm far from a music expert, but again, no one, no one, thought they were not rock & roll as the term meant then - which is all that matters regardless of how the term later got sliced & diced. That you can't view that period means you have no business attempting to classify the Beatles at all, much less as other than RNR. Leave it to experts - like the RNR Hall of Fame.

Paul had pop sensibilities as a composer. "Yesterday," "When I'm 64," "Your Mother Should Know," etc. But then he also could come up with something like "I'm Down" and that's flat out rock and roll. I think John tended more toward rock in his writing. "Any Time at All," "Ticket to Ride," "Revolution." But he can't be pigeonholed, either. He wrote the only lullaby recorded by The Beatles: "Goodnight." He gave the song to Ringo to sing supposedly because John didn't want to hurt his image as a tough guy to sing it. I dunno. Is there any popular genre that they didn't delve into? Certainly, country, blues, folk, rock 'n' roll.

How many copies of the new Taylor Swift record have you bought? You probably have a Lizzo poster on your bedroom wall. Ariana Grande has a new one coming out, have you pre-ordered yours?
Don't know this Taylor Swift person. Is he from the Big Band/Swing Eras?

I'm far from a music expert, but again, no one, no one, thought they were not rock & roll as the term meant then - which is all that matters regardless of how the term later got sliced & diced. That you can't view that period means you have no business attempting to classify the Beatles at all, much less as other than RNR. Leave it to experts - like the RNR Hall of Fame.
Uh, did I hurt your feelings or something? "no business...blah, blah, blah" - puh-leeze. "No one" thought they weren't rock & roll - John Lennon himself said they were a pop band. With all the disdain Pete Townshend has been quoted as saying about The Beatles, you think HE thinks they were ever a 'rock' band? But, I guess since you stated that 'no one, no one' ever thought that then that's all settled. (Actually, from a historic standpoint, all the British Invasion groups (really any artist playing the new type of music) were deemed 'pop' groups when they first appeared. 'Pop' in this case meaning 'popular', not necessarily a genre of music as the term is used today and for years, for that matter). I mean what insight would John Lennon or Pete Townshend have about the Beatles? All that matters is how they were viewed then? So, no definition of anything can ever change?

RNR HOF are experts? GTFO. They've got 'rock' artists like Joni Mitchell, Dusty Springfield, Simon and Garfunkel, Brenda Lee, Madonna, Run-DMC, Abba, Donna Summer, NWA, Tupac, Janet Jackson, Dolly Parton, Whitney Houston, et al inducted. You think THOSE artists are RNR? Good lord. You gave yourself way too much credit when you said you're far from a music expert with that take. Normally, I'm OK with many of your posts but, wow, you missed the boat by a mile on this one.

Last edited:
Too early for me...but wasn't Elvis before them? Doesn't his music sound more rock than theirs?

A little off topic, but I came across the isolated bass from I Want You (She's So Heavy) recently. This is some sick shit. I don't think McCartney gets his due as a bass player. Especially since he took up bass since no one else wanted to, and was pretty good on piano and guitar as well. He was 27 when Abbey Road was released and would've been 24-25 around Revolver/Pepper, when his bass lines started getting really interesting and melodic.

It's hard to fathom what they accomplished considering the Beatles broke up before any of them were 30.

Have you listened to the White Album lately?
-Back in the USSR: very soft, Beach Boyish but I'd give it the benefit of the doubt; rock
-Dear Prudence - pop
- Glass Onion - rock
-Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - pop
-Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill - pop
-While My Guitar Gently Weeps - rock
-Happiness is a Warm Gun - benefit of doubt, rock
-Martha My Dear - pop
- I'm So Tired - pop
- Blackbird - pop
- Piggies - pop
- Rocky Raccoon - pop
- Don't Pass Me By - pop
- Why Don't We Do It in the Road - rock
- I Will - pop
-Julia - pop
-Birthday - rock
- Yer Blues - rock
- Mother Nature's Son - pop
- Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and my Monkey - rock
- Sexy Sadie - pop
-Helter Skelter - rock
- Long, Long, Long - pop
-Revolution - rock
- Honey Pie - pop
- Savoy Truffle - rock
- Cry Baby Cry - pop
- Good Night - pop

I'm not slagging on them but there are several more pure pop songs (how I define it, anyway) on The White Album than there are rock songs. Just because you play an electric guitar and have somewhat of a backbeat doesn't mean you're playing rock. I mean, The Monkees did that, right? And I don't classify 'rock' as only Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, metal, etc. I mean, REM was a terrific rock band but they certainly weren't metal. The Byrds, CCR, Tom Petty, Heart, Fleetwood Mac, Stray Cats, and many others I'd consider 'rock' aren't heavy. So, I don't fall into that category. It is difficult, though, to view the early 60s bands through the lens of their own time period. The Beatles pretty much created massive pop/rock music and many others followed their lead. As the music scene matured and expanded, imo, their music became more 'pop' than 'rock'.
I don't understand viewing some/most of those songs as "pop" songs. They are mostly rock songs to me. I also don't consider viewing a band that did stuff like "Helter Skelter" and "Revoution" as a "pop" band.

You could pick apart a lot of those other bands you listed too. The Byrds did a traditional country album. Why do you view them as a rock band? Also, REM did songs like Nightswimming and Everybody Hurts. Do you consider those "rock" songs?

At the end of the day, rock is more of a concept than a specific genre, as so many genres (country, blues, R&B, etc.) gel together to form rock. But, as I said before, the Beatles basically created the idea - and total package - of a "rock band". The fact that Lennon referred to them as "pop" means nothing because rock was the pop (popular) music of that time.

They were both. Paul, John and George all had different styles which gave them more variety than most bands. By the White Album they were pretty much solo artists.

ADVERTISEMENT