ADVERTISEMENT

We're 102nd in the country in total offense.

We have been in the bottom half of college football on that side of the ball for seven years. Everyone knows we have a WR at QB. Last year's woes on that side were blamed on the very QB that everyone thinks would of been the savior and lead us to a potent offense this year.
I guess the difference for me is that I thought I saw improvement out of Terry before he went down. If I hadn’t then I’d agree that it’d be silly to expect it to change with him this year.

I guess the difference for me is that I thought I saw improvement out of Terry before he went down. If I hadn’t then I’d agree that it’d be silly to expect it to change with him this year.

He probably would of been better in what they ask him to do. After reading above that Stoops stays in Gran's ear the entire game, I really don't know how explosive we really want to be. An ex-defensive coordinator calling run or pass is obviously going to be playing "game management" on that side. Is probably the reason why all these 55-45 pass run coordinators turn into 60-40 run pass when they get here.

Think about those 3rd down and less than 3 numbers. We are the only team below 50%, 39% conversion rate. Every team in SEC is above 52% even Arkansas. That is alarming. I could see maybe making excuses about 10 wins last year but that is a terrible stat and one you cannot hide from. Just no way.
Offense has been bad for a long time. The Mizzou game last year and A&M game were akin to Bill Curry years. It was awful. Very fortunate. Why they cant' get a grasp and get ahold of this Offense is beyond me. Not just because a WR playing QB which is another topic of malfeasance of this offense.

Which excuse are yall gonna use for the mediocre offensive performance against Mizzou today, rain, backup QB, pretend Missou is an elite team because they were ranked before losing to Vanderbilt and their 3rd string QB? Maybe a combination of all 3 or will you claim that our offense if fine because went 10-3 last year.

Man, you just gave me a flashback to kindergarten.

Before you say it, your dad is tougher than my dad.
What that have to do with the awful offense that Eddie Gran runs that's makes it harder for us to win and harder for us to hold on to our awesome recruiting class? It's almost like you can't defend the indefensible so you deflect with nonsense.

What that have to do with the awful offense that Eddie Gran runs that's makes it harder for us to win and harder for us to hold on to our awesome recruiting class? It's almost like you can't defend the indefensible so you deflect with nonsense.

Oh, I was responding to your high level “shut up ... you don’t know football” argument.

I guess I should have defended with “oh yeah! Prove it!”

Or, “your face doesn’t know football!”

Last edited:
Oh shut up, our offense is awful. Only people who dont know football defend this mediocrity.
I missed you after the Missouri game sweetie! You are begging for Joker back huh :) You don't think he is going to hold on to his recruits. Did you listen to the man. There is no doubt in my mind, you are not a UK fan and your azz should be perma banned

We have been pretty consistent with the 101 or so ranked offense for three years now. Maybe the mods can pin this at the top so we don't get a new thread every year.

The palladium has swung from Air Raid and losing 50- 38 too old school ground and pound and lose 17-10.

I don't get this thread. Is there even a question that CMS is nothing but a pound it on the ground coach?

CMS has made steady improvement but only once has he won more than 7. It would appear that will be his floor going forward if he can continue to recruit at a high level. But let's not think his Cats will ever be an offensive juggernaut. Just not in his DNA at all.

You make this statement sound like a lot of past UK HCs have accomplish that. Since the Bear, Curci did it twice, Claiborne once, and Brooks twice, that’s our football tradition right there so 10 wins are special for this small group of coaches since the fifties.

Shocking we have a low rated offense with basically all of our QBs hurt. We should be top 5 in offense with a WR as the QB.

Shocking we have had mediocre offenses for most of 7 years with coordinators that ran high powered offenses elsewhere. If it were just this year than the QB issues would be a valid one, but it is an ongoing problem during Stoops' whole time here.

It has to stop because we can't win like last year without a good offense to go with the defense or we have to have some of the top players in Kentucky football history on the roster. Offensive skill players are starting to avoid us like the plague.

Reactions: ChurchHillcat
Shocking we have had mediocre offenses for most of 7 years with coordinators that ran high powered offenses elsewhere. If it were just this year than the QB issues would be a valid one, but it is an ongoing problem during Stoops' whole time here.

It has to stop because we can't win like last year without a good offense to go with the defense or we have to have some of the top players in Kentucky football history on the roster. Offensive skill players are starting to avoid us like the plague.
What type of offenses did those coordinators run after leaving. Neal brown last season with SS as a qb half of the year ran the ball right at sixty percent of the time. Did stoops control that?

Reactions: NewWildcatOrder
What type of offenses did those coordinators run after leaving. Neal brown last season with SS as a qb half of the year ran the ball right at sixty percent of the time. Did stoops control that?

I am talking about before not after. Maybe that was the best option he had that year with his QB situation but it wasn't the norm. The 2 years prior they had top 40ish offenses that put up 31+ points and 418+ yards a game. They also averaged over 260 passing yards a game. Those were balanced offenses.

The year with substantially more rushing saw the passing drop from 260+ down to the 220's. They also saw the total yards drop like 30 yards a game to 389. Scoring didn't drop off much (still at 30 a game). So even with more of a running game they still scored at a high rate. We can't say the same thing here.

I missed you after the Missouri game sweetie! You are begging for Joker back huh :) You don't think he is going to hold on to his recruits. Did you listen to the man. There is no doubt in my mind, you are not a UK fan and your azz should be perma banned
Begging for Joker to come back? LOL, you make up nonsense because you can't defend Eddie Grans putrid offense. No doubt by your ignorant comments you trashed Joker Phillips for years, but now anyone who criticizes this awful offense isn't a UK fan. You're a fraud, maybe you weren't a real UK when you were trashing Joker Phillips, or maybe you just wanted what's best for UK. Funny how it's different when it's someone else.

Last edited:
Some people like to say he is just stubborn but there is a fine line between stubbornness and idiocy. Personally I think he has crossed the line into idiocy. He hasn’t learned/improved game management skills in 7 years as a head coach so as far as a head coach is concerned he doesn’t pass the test. Great or even good head coaches adapt.
Those comments are not true nor fair.

Begging for Joker to come back? LOL, you make up nonsense because you can't defend Eddie Grans putrid offense. No doubt by your ignorant comments you trashed Joker Phillips for years, but now anyone who criticizes this awful offense isn't a UK fan. You're a fraud, maybe you weren't a real UK when you were trashing Joker Phillips, or maybe you just wanted what's best for UK. Funny how it's different when it's someone else.
Well Joker deserved to be called out, but I didn't trash him. I did want him replaced

I don't listen to anyone who uses "raw" stats that don't factor in SoS or garbage time. Those numbers don't mean much. If you're going to use them, at least look at yards per play:

http://cfbstats.com/2019/team/334/total/offense/gamelog.html

Since the Arkansas game, when the staff had to retool the offense, the offense has been one dimensional, but it's also averaged 5.6 yard per play. For context, that would place UK 8th in the SEC in terms of season-long YPP:

http://cfbstats.com/2019/leader/911/team/offense/split01/category10/sort02.html

They've done that despite being 1D because Bowden is the SEC's MVP after Burrows and the OL is top three in the SEC.

I don't listen to anyone who uses "raw" stats that don't factor in SoS or garbage time. Those numbers don't mean much. If you're going to use them, at least look at yards per play:

http://cfbstats.com/2019/team/334/total/offense/gamelog.html

Since the Arkansas game, when the staff had to retool the offense, the offense has been one dimensional, but it's also averaged 5.6 yard per play. For context, that would place UK 8th in the SEC in terms of season-long YPP:

http://cfbstats.com/2019/leader/911/team/offense/split01/category10/sort02.html

They've done that despite being 1D because Bowden is the SEC's MVP after Burrows and the OL is top three in the SEC.

We are 97th in snaps which may be why that nice yards per play is not translating into points. We are also only 81st in third down conversion rate .

Reactions: YaketySax
We are 97th in snaps which may be why that nice yards per play is not translating into points. We are also only 81st in third down conversion rate .

A totally valid critique is this team is awful finishing drives. They are great on their side of the 50 but struggle on the opponent’s side especially in losses. Why that is happening is a good debate to have rather than “Gran sucks” which is inaccurate and doesn’t add anything.

I’m sure the 1-34 spell on third downs from end of Florida through miss state and USC games didn’t help that third down conversion rate.

Look, if you are a UK fan, you must accept that Gran is running the offense exactly like his boss wants it ran.

If you listened to Gran on Inside The Sec when he and Bowden were dissecting the plays in the Arkansas game with Matt Stinchcom, Gran told you exactly what he was doing and why he was doing it.

He told Matt that CMS would be on the headset and tell him to run the ball, and if the play is successful, he will tell Gran to run the same play, again.....and again.

And even if the play is not successful like every run up the middle, CMS will have him run it again to see if they can run it successfully.

Now Gran presented that as a positive thing, having a head coach who helps you out with the play calls, but Gran always takes all the heat for the poor offense he runs.

Gran knows offense. But he also works for CMS.

I am convinced that the perfect game for CMS would be a 3-0 win on a last second fg with time of possession being 45:00 to 15:00 in our favor.

He would have won the game and also have the #1 defense in the country. CMS may think that is his only chance to win in the SEC.

Don't see him changing his approach to offense regardless of OC or QB. Much like Les Miles and Kirby Smart. Old school football coaches.

If true; remarkably stupid. Also explains why our offense has produced the same results no matter who the OC was.

If true; remarkably stupid. Also explains why our offense has produced the same results no matter who the OC was.

I am not sure the conclusions are true. Gran is very talented. He does work for CMS. I think those two comments are absolutely true.

But, I doubt anyone with a brain sincerely thinks Stoops’ actual approach is “remarkably stupid.” It would be difficult to explain how a remarkably stupid plan took a team to 10-3 in the SEC and a final ranking of #12. Because I believe that result is impossible for a remarkably stupid approach, I reject the description in its totality.

People on this board often claim they deal in reality. When the reality is 10-3, it debunks a number of vapid claims. Stoops’ career has been the great debunker thus far.

I am not sure the conclusions are true. Gran is very talented. He does work for CMS. I think those two comments are absolutely true.

But, I doubt anyone with a brain sincerely thinks Stoops’ actual approach is “remarkably stupid.” It would be difficult to explain how a remarkably stupid plan took a team to 10-3 in the SEC and a final ranking of #12. Because I believe that result is impossible for a remarkably stupid approach, I reject the description in its totality.

People on this board often claim they deal in reality. When the reality is 10-3, it debunks a number of vapid claims. Stoops’ career has been the great debunker thus far.

Remarkably stupid that we have an OC if he’s Stoops puppet. Let me clarify. I have no idea if what the OP is saying is true. If it is true, I don’t really like it, but whatever.

ADVERTISEMENT