ADVERTISEMENT

We're 102nd in the country in total offense.

Aug 20, 2018
With the rest of the schedule being easier and us hopefully getting healthy, maybe Gran can get us down into the 70's in total offense for the first time in his tenure. It would be awesome to barely be in the bottom half of FBS offenses for a change.

Reactions: oldsports_
Look, if you are a UK fan, you must accept that Gran is running the offense exactly like his boss wants it ran.

If you listened to Gran on Inside The Sec when he and Bowden were dissecting the plays in the Arkansas game with Matt Stinchcom, Gran told you exactly what he was doing and why he was doing it.

He told Matt that CMS would be on the headset and tell him to run the ball, and if the play is successful, he will tell Gran to run the same play, again.....and again.

And even if the play is not successful like every run up the middle, CMS will have him run it again to see if they can run it successfully.

Now Gran presented that as a positive thing, having a head coach who helps you out with the play calls, but Gran always takes all the heat for the poor offense he runs.

Gran knows offense. But he also works for CMS.

I am convinced that the perfect game for CMS would be a 3-0 win on a last second fg with time of possession being 45:00 to 15:00 in our favor.

He would have won the game and also have the #1 defense in the country. CMS may think that is his only chance to win in the SEC.

Don't see him changing his approach to offense regardless of OC or QB. Much like Les Miles and Kirby Smart. Old school football coaches.

And 104th in 3rd down conversion percentage
And 114th in scoring offense
And 117th in passing offense

43rd in rushing offense
45th in time of possession
98th in 1st downs produced

Last edited:
Reactions: Deli owl
Look, if you are a UK fan, you must accept that Gran is running the offense exactly like his boss wants it ran.

If you listened to Gran on Inside The Sec when he and Bowden were dissecting the plays in the Arkansas game with Matt Stinchcom, Gran told you exactly what he was doing and why he was doing it.

He told Matt that CMS would be on the headset and tell him to run the ball, and if the play is successful, he will tell Gran to run the same play, again.....and again.

And even if the play is not successful like every run up the middle, CMS will have him run it again to see if they can run it successfully.

Now Gran presented that as a positive thing, having a head coach who helps you out with the play calls, but Gran always takes all the heat for the poor offense he runs.

I am convinced that the perfect game for CMS would be a 3-0 win on a last second fg with time of possession being 45:00 to 15:00 in our favor.

He would have won the game and also have the #1 defense in the country. CMS may think that is his only chance to win in the SEC.

Don't see him changing his approach to offense regardless of OC or QB. Much like Les Miles and Kirby Smart. Old school football coaches.
Agree, but despite 7 years of this many will not accept this.

We have a WR playing QB. What do some of you people expect? We were throwing the ball a good amount over the first 4 games of the year(when we, ya know, had an actual healthy QB) and people are still trying to pump out the narrative that Stoops tells Gran to run the ball all the time. I specifically remember people on this board arguing that we actually needed to pass LESS during some of those games, and now a few weeks and 3 injured QBs later and we’re back at the idea that Stoops and Gran only care about running the ball.

We have a WR playing QB. What do some of you people expect? We were throwing the ball a good amount over the first 4 games of the year(when we, ya know, had an actual healthy QB) and people are still trying to pump out the narrative that Stoops tells Gran to run the ball all the time. I specifically remember people on this board arguing that we actually needed to pass LESS during some of those games, and now a few weeks and 3 injured QBs later and we’re back at the idea that Stoops and Gran only care about running the ball.

The offense has been an issue long before this season.

I don’t blame the staff for the game plan last week. We had no chance. We played to keep it close and hope UGA really messed up. That was pretty much our only hope. I’m not sure what else the staff could’ve done. We were just outmanned and didn’t have a QB. However, the issue with Stoops meddling in the play calls has been going on long before this season.

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush

Poor offense just didn't start this year. A healthy TW was averaging only 180 passing yards against two MAC schools to start the season. It is what it is.

Go for what, the stats I posted speak themselves as they have every year.... Do u mind breaking down these stats

Oh, you think season rankings define a philosophy. That is a really odd take. I am not sure I can explain that, as it makes no sense. Nada.

Then why did u ask someone to define theirs, when he basically made the same exact point? It Is What It Is........

Hey, is this Slugger’s second screen name or third? LOL

I did not ask someone to define their philosophy/point. You are posting some dumb crap. I asked him to use the 7 games of this season to demonstrate what he means. Why are you so butt hurt about that?

Some people like to say he is just stubborn but there is a fine line between stubbornness and idiocy. Personally I think he has crossed the line into idiocy. He hasn’t learned/improved game management skills in 7 years as a head coach so as far as a head coach is concerned he doesn’t pass the test. Great or even good head coaches adapt.

Some people like to say he is just stubborn but there is a fine line between stubbornness and idiocy. Personally I think he has crossed the line into idiocy. He hasn’t learned/improved game management skills in 7 years as a head coach so as far as a head coach is concerned he doesn’t pass the test. Great or even good head coaches adapt.

I disagree with that. CMS has come light years ahead as a head coach and managing the many facets of the game that a head coach is required to do in real time than he was in his first four years.

I was in the corner with those thinking he would never improve because of his stubbornness and lack of trust in his coordinators.

But I have seen a dramatic improvement in this area from CMS and it seemed to coincide with when Coach Hood came aboard on the staff.

Stoops even said after the Arkansas win, when asked about adjustments at halftime that allowed us to win the game, stated that Coach Hood gave him some good advice on how to fix some problems we were having that led to Lynn having a great second half and led us to victory.

Three years ago, I doubt that he would have listened to any assistant coach on changing HIS game plan.
So, he is better at managing the game but still has a lot of room for growth in that area.

My point was not to condemn CMS. He is the HBC and can do anything he wants to run his program.

My point was that more times than not, Gran gets the grief for offensive play calls that probably didn't come from him. Just following orders from headquarters.

This is exactly what I expect. Us to have one of the worst offenses in the country and for fans to excuse it. We have zero standards for Kentucky football.

So coaches...

explain what Eddie Gran needs to do to change these numbers? Get Lynn Bowden running an Air Raid? How about Walker Wood...he'd sure make us a top 10 offense and Gran is just holding him back!
Why do yall always jump to air raid? Our offense is incompetent, that unacceptable at most places, perfectly fine for UK football. I dont care if we run the triple option, pro style, or air raid, just as long as the offense works and gives us a good chance to win.

With the rest of the schedule being easier and us hopefully getting healthy, maybe Gran can get us down into the 70's in total offense for the first time in his tenure. It would be awesome to barely be in the bottom half of FBS offenses for a change.
Cats are currently #102 at 355 YPG. Houston is currently #79 with 394 YPG. Keeping these numbers "constant" (won't happen of course), the Cats would have to average 449 YPG for the last 5 to finish at #79 (i.e., 394 YPG). That's an increase of 94 YPG over what you have seen to date.

FWIW, excluding FCS UT-Martin, remaining opponents are yielding:

MO 279 YPG
TN 361 YPG
UofL 455 YPG
Vandy 456 YPG

Peace

Is college football a form of entertainment? Yes. Does Stoops deploy and entertaining brand of football? Not for most. if that's your complaint, I get it.

On the other hand - wins and losses. This year is out - we have a receiver playing QB. But the previous years? Despite the anemic offensive numbers, we've won as many if not more than could be expected. if that's your complaint, I don't get it.

Raw stats like this are misleading because they lump in MAC and Sunbelt etc. with P5 teams. Obviously P5 teams are playing much different defenses.

The FEI which adjusts for strength of schedule and other factors has our offense at 66. Similarly The Power Rank has us at 62. That's much more accurate. Of course that isn't what it needs to be but considering the injuries at the QB position it isn't surprising.

Nope it is not accepted. Um, what do we do now Faaar Stoops or Gran?

No, just that we hold coaches accountable on both sides of the ball. Gran is getting paid a million dollars to score points and for whatever reason is not getting it done.

Raw stats like this are misleading because they lump in MAC and Sunbelt etc. with P5 teams. Obviously P5 teams are playing much different defenses.

The FEI which adjusts for strength of schedule and other factors has our offense at 66. Similarly The Power Rank has us at 62. That's much more accurate. Of course that isn't what it needs to be but considering the injuries at the QB position it isn't surprising.

That kind of ranking doesn't make sense. I know we play better teams, but we also are supposed to recruit better talent on the offensive side to off set that. I understand this year we are starting a WR at QB, but the inability to score has been going on for all 7 years. When you score 21 points and under in all but one conference matchup and only 24 against the worst team in the conference, then your offense is not in the top half of college football.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I disagree with that. CMS has come light years ahead as a head coach and managing the many facets of the game that a head coach is required to do in real time than he was in his first four years.

I was in the corner with those thinking he would never improve because of his stubbornness and lack of trust in his coordinators.

But I have seen a dramatic improvement in this area from CMS and it seemed to coincide with when Coach Hood came aboard on the staff.

Stoops even said after the Arkansas win, when asked about adjustments at halftime that allowed us to win the game, stated that Coach Hood gave him some good advice on how to fix some problems we were having that led to Lynn having a great second half and led us to victory.

Three years ago, I doubt that he would have listened to any assistant coach on changing HIS game plan.
So, he is better at managing the game but still has a lot of room for growth in that area.

My point was not to condemn CMS. He is the HBC and can do anything he wants to run his program.

My point was that more times than not, Gran gets the grief for offensive play calls that probably didn't come from him. Just following orders from headquarters.
Dean Hood could teach him several things.

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
Recruit better QBs and develop some depth at the position. That's my only solution.

We had 5.9 Barker, injuries, TWO exceptional prospects that our coaches recognized their talent before anyone else but then forty years of mediocrity made them transfer when the U's that supported football noticed them, the ten years of probably the WORST support for football even at UK left us far behind. Three huge losses, the coaches did a great job of scrambling for under the radar two stars and JC transfers to give us some progress. Then last year we got a very talented transfer that (along with the ground attack AND defense) had a breakout year which brings us to NOW.

That starting QB injured, the great job they did in finding a backup transfer nullified by another injury, the TWO backups healthy transferred because of the competition, the other TWO in the program held back because of INJURIES, another INEXPERIENCED prospect that they wanted for his POTENTIAL missed fall practice, NOT ready, so we had THREE very good prospects committed, Barker came but injured, two committed but saw the tradition and support and left for the football schools that don't spend more on basketball's 13 players than football's EIGHTY FIVE, then injuries struck four out of five leaving a very inexperienced true freshman without fall practice, that they didn't want to throw to the wolves-------wolves, as in some of our "fans".

Recruit better QBs, they did, Barker, two backups that transferred because they brought in a better one that led us to TEN wins, a promising grad transfer that looked good until injured, injured, two pretty decent ones that transferred to FOOTBALL schools, football support (and throwing the SEC football money at all of the sports) too late for them, two more held back by injuries, and the true freshman that they claim they really think has great POTENTIAL.

"Recruit better QBs"? They did, injuries and our previous DECADE of support for football killed us there. "Develop more depth"? We have FIVE QBs on the roster now, FOUR with injury problems and one inexperienced (more if not for the two transfers) How many do you want, ten? And don't we have a walkon already, (although probably not one like Bama attracts)?

And don't we have a four star local prospect that everyone wanted signed up for next year? We have a great class committed for next year, with several more four star prospects and even an possible, with two highly ranked transfers already here. Compare our facilities and number of four stars since the strike to Joker's TWO when he took over with the "recruiting room" a disgrace to a good high school program. The effects of last years surprising success won't become evident until that class, the future does look bright..

But keep on trying, maybe you can discourage them, lots of FOOTBALL programs want them. I'm betting almost all of them stay though, lost one shaky 5.7 to his home city, but that actually raised our class average and created another opening, lol.

Edit: "College football live" right now is talking about no one has great QB backups now, because all the really good ones have transferred. Even the Bama's and Clemson's, Georgia too, not in good shape for backups, and Oklahoma, OSU, and Mizzou are elite or winners because of transfers. We couldn't attract one because we had our QB, great job in getting our backup transfer, two deep wiped out too much to overcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC CATS
This is exactly what I expect. Us to have one of the worst offenses in the country and for fans to excuse it. We have zero standards for Kentucky football.
Look, I’m not happy about our offense sucking either. I just don’t think there’s a lot we can do when our top 3 QBs are all injured and we have to resort to playing our best WR in their place. Obviously I’d love it if we had a good 4th string QB, but there isn’t team in the country with a good 4th string QB.

Lane Kiffin just said on Finebaum that Alabama always could recruit lineman and RB, but until they changed philosophy they were never going to get top QBs and Wide receivers. Said teams was always going to use it against you that there was no opportunities to get targets, attempts, or stats in the system they ran.

He actually said other teams said Saban was nothing but a "game manager" on that side of the ball.

Last edited:
Is college football a form of entertainment? Yes. Does Stoops deploy and entertaining brand of football? Not for most. if that's your complaint, I get it.

On the other hand - wins and losses. This year is out - we have a receiver playing QB. But the previous years? Despite the anemic offensive numbers, we've won as many if not more than could be expected. if that's your complaint, I don't get it.
We have 42pts in 4 SEC game...10.5 ppg in SEC wont get it.

Well, we lost our # 1 QB in the second half of the second game. Our 2nd string QB got hurt in the UF game and dinged again in the MSU game. He was pretty much worthless in the SC game and couldn't throw the ball 15 yards on a line. So we basically got shut out. We get Bowden ready and do OK vs. Ark. Then we meet one of the best defenses in the country in a windy monsoon where even they couldn't throw the ball...and we got shut out.

I think there are some mitigating circumstances that make our numbers look poor..we're not a juggernaut, but we've shown flashes when our QB's are reasonably healthy. I wouldn't expect the OP to be able to figure that out given his track record.

Reactions: jauk11
We were 85th in the country in total offense last year folks, if you want to compare this year's issues with last year's success based on record.

We were 6th in defense.

We were 87th in O in 2017, 75th on D.

People are entitled to their opinions. But if you dont think we need to worry about the offensive side of the ball at all, then you cant see the forest for the trees. Its been a problem. The issues we have now dont help, but some folks seem to be under the impression its been hunky dory up til now.

Well, we lost our # 1 QB in the second half of the second game. Our 2nd string QB got hurt in the UF game and dinged again in the MSU game. He was pretty much worthless in the SC game and couldn't throw the ball 15 yards on a line. So we basically got shut out. We get Bowden ready and do OK vs. Ark. Then we meet one of the best defenses in the country in a windy monsoon where even they couldn't throw the ball...and we got shut out.

I think there are some mitigating circumstances that make our numbers look poor..we're not a juggernaut, but we've shown flashes when our QB's are reasonably healthy. I wouldn't expect the OP to be able to figure that out given his track record.

This has been a 7 year problem under Stoops. It didn't just start with the injuries this year. We cant recruit QBs or WRs because we have a stigma of using offense as nothing more than a way to keep the defense off the field and try to win it at the end. Luckily we may have found a decent QB that happens to live in the same city as our campus. Hopefully we can convince a capable WR prospect that they will be used in the offense.

Reactions: jnewc2
Recruit better QBs and develop some depth at the position. That's my only solution.
Well...the one we had recruited to run the program was 12-3 as a starter before a season ending injury.

The guy we recruited to be his backup...yeah he's hurt too

Oh...the best freshman we recruited? Yeah...about that....he's out for the season too!

Oh...and the other top guys he recruit...yeah they transferred because the 1st string QB was better and has 2 more years of eligibility....

So yeah....(in my Office Space voice) I'm going to go ahead and say that recruiting QB's hasn't been the problem...and that every team in the nation would struggle when they were down to their 4th and 5th string QB's. LOL

FARRRRR STOOOPSS AND GRAN!

ADVERTISEMENT