ADVERTISEMENT

Wenyen has been the best player so far according to reports

Talented player with very raw skills. Showed a lot of flashes but could not do it consistently and could not keep up with the great players around him.

Sounds like a freshman who can put it altogether in his second year.

It's not shocking, like someone said, he showed good flashes even for a whole game and he was a raw freshman. He will likely make that jump as a soph and it's likely happening this summer. Most of his issues were strength related and he's gotten strong so add his skill level getting better and this is along the progression path of most highly rated freshmen going into their soph year.

I'm not encouraged by no reports on SKJ but I'm guessing he's at the British (is that where he was invited too) training camp. If he is at UK now and no one has even mentioned him then that's not good

Reactions: getcha pull
Yeah not surprised at all with SGA. Kid was a 5 star and is a 6'5/6/6 PG who is crafty, great change of speed, extremely long, can shoot and pass above average, but not overly athletic. He will challenge Quade for the starting PG spot. He will be able to play some minutes at SG as well. He will be Cal's tallest PG, I believe.

Reactions: WildcatDJ
It's not shocking, like someone said, he showed good flashes even for a whole game and he was a raw freshman. He will likely make that jump as a soph and it's likely happening this summer. Most of his issues were strength related and he's gotten strong so add his skill level getting better and this is along the progression path of most highly rated freshmen going into their soph year.

I'm not encouraged by no reports on SKJ but I'm guessing he's at the British (is that where he was invited too) training camp. If he is at UK now and no one has even mentioned him then that's not good

Training camp for the British team started on July 31st, so when you include travel, SKJ has been out of town for at least a week. And really, we haven't heard a lot of specific reports on any player yet, except for the bit of noise that came from Bam, Fox, and Monk scrimmaging with the team. I wouldn't get pessimistic just yet. The kid will turn 19 in a few days, and looks to have added a bunch of muscle to his frame. My prediction is he does some good work this season.

He should be. Been through it for a year and knows what he's supposed to do.

I've mentioned it a couple times, but I hope Wenyen is tough enough to run at the small ball 5 some this season. Might be the best way to get our most talented lineups on the floor.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
If Wenyen is our best player it'll either be an amazing year or a terrible one. No middle ground there

best player over the summer doesnt mean best player. for 3 weeks diallo and washington were doing u19 stuff and not around. knox was a bit dinged up and probably didnt do much.

wenyen plays hard, its not surprising he has stood out during the summer. i would imagine most guys dont play that hard in the summer.

richards has really focused this summer and has improved a lot.

Reactions: wentzel25
Heading to the fantasy camp in a few weeks.
They usually scrimmage against each other and the pros that are back in town.
Will report back.
Does not matter what you see or say some posters just wake up being negative aka Debbie Downers. Lets think positive.

I love how hard wenyen plays. I don't think he's got quite the "wing" in him that we thought he might when he came in, but he can be a fantastic 6th man/energy guy.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
I took both my boys to Karls camp last year. We arrived early and I stayed on the sidelines with a Nike rep that I grew up with. Gabriel was in early as well and we hung out and talked for almost 30 min. I asked him then who was the most athletic and surprise on that team. He responded with Monk. I had heard before hand that Gabriel was a great defender. I asked him if he was looking forward to playing D in college. He looked at me with a little concern and it turned out that he needed a lot of work in the department as we all could see in the beginning.

With all that said he spoke about the transition from high school to college. He said he has always played with great players but this was on another level. I believe he might be coming into his own. Two of the assistants and Robic told me his work ethic was fantastic (hence the body transformation over the summer) and his ability to be long and athletic around the rim. Robic said he settles for jump shots and needs to bang more down low and become more of a stretch player so he can take more jumpers. All in all I was impressed with his character, how he explained his growth, and how he understood what he needed to do to improve.. Just overall a great kid. I hope he kicks ass this year and maybe his experience will help him and the team

Does not matter what you see or say some posters just wake up being negative aka Debbie Downers. Lets think positive.

As I said in my post, I certainly hope the reports are accurate. I am willing to wait and see. However, just thinking positive didn't make it so, with Hump, who was raved about in summer games.

I'm sorry but Wenyen aint great. I seen all I needed to see last year.

What I "seen" was a long, 6'10" athlete with a silky shot and a motor that never stops. These core attributes are the building blocks of an elite NBA player. It requires an especially dense person to not recognize that.

Reactions: MWes11
I hope Wenyen Gabriel has a great year. It takes some players to adjust to the speed of collage ball. With adding muscle this summer it should be easier for him to bang down low against bigger guys.

I thought Shai could be special, simply because of that absurd growth spurt. If someone can find it, Coach Cal did a write-up/video of each early recruit. He talked about his growth as a major factor. Another report said he's on the rise for this reason. He's 6-6 now while retaining all his point guard skills.. when that happens, a player could be deadly, tough to contain, and defend multiple positions.

I thought Shai could be special, simply because of that absurd growth spurt. If someone can find it, Coach Cal did a write-up/video of each early recruit. He talked about his growth as a major factor. Another report said he's on the rise for this reason. He's 6-6 now while retaining all his point guard skills.. when that happens, a player could be deadly, tough to contain, and defend multiple positions.

I see Shai as a PJ Dozier type. I'm not expecting incredible things out of him this year, but I think he will do a lot of little things well. Or maybe I just hope he will.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I see Shai as a PJ Dozier type. I'm not expecting incredible things out of him this year, but I think he will do a lot of little things well. Or maybe I just hope he will.

What's wrong with you. Did you not hear about the summer report? He's the best player on this team. Green will get mop up minutes.

Reactions: Aike
Ain't getting hopes up but hope he does have a break-out year. His confidence was rock bottom at the end of last year so only way to go is up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT