ADVERTISEMENT

Went to YouTube and Watched Some Penn State Games

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
I love modern conveniences.

Watched a lot of their worst game, a 42-7 beatdown at Michigan. And I watched the Maryland game.

Their QB McSorley reminded me a lot of Jake Bentley. He’s pretty mobile, but does not have top-end speed.

Looked like Penn State plays a base 4-3 defense with four down linemen.

The Michigan game was their worst of the season, against a very good team, and on the road. McSorley missed 3 or 4 series, throughout the game. Michigan owned them on both lines, and really bullied them, taking a 35-0 halftime lead, IIRC.

When healthy we dominated Florida and more than held our own against Mississippi State’s lines.

It’s tough watching a game from another conference and making comparisons.

I’ll say this for certain: if that Michigan team shows up for the bowl with Florida, UF’s lines better pack a lunch. We had a clear advantage in line play against UF.

Because the Peach Bowl is played a couple of days prior to the Citrus, we might get a sneak preview of our game. If Florida can match Michigan’s physicality, it is a good sign for us.

I think we can play physically with Penn State and win.

I also do think we will have the speed advantage when our D is playing their O.

Their primary back looked sort of like Snell: big, and tough to tackle.

Penn State speed to the edges/corners did not look like SEC speed. Michigan looked FAST at every damn spot.

Some folks are saying we should have gotten the Peach against Michigan. Maybe, but they POUNDED Penn State, and absolutely lived in Penn State’s backfield.

Maybe an inverse correlation is best: if we can’t handle Penn State, God have mercy on Florida against Michigan.

Hope the score is 50-0...hate Fla!!!

Don’t think it’ll be that lopsided. But Michigan impressed me, putting a beatdown on Penn State about as bad as ours on Louisville. The one score PSU managed was with maybe a minute to play, in the 4th Quarter.

Check out their Michigan St. game..Penn St. lost at home to them, 21-17. People forget that we were banged up bad the last 5 games..and we still went 3-2. Playing with 2 linebackers who were each playing with a BROKEN HAND in a cast. People forget that we played without our best Safety for the entire 1st Half of the Tennessee game. People forget that Benny Snell was playing banged up and on fumes the last 3 or 4 games. After healing up and being well rested for well over a month, none of this will be an issue vs. Penn St. If everybody plays (And I think they will), I think UK wins.

They don't have a Bednarik Award winner on their team..we do. They're not the team that beat 6 bowl teams..we are. They're not the team with 3 wins over top 25 teams..we are. Like I said in another thread, the only reason they are favored to win against us is because this is football and they are Penn St. and we are Kentucky..but this year, Kentucky is the better team. Does that mean UK is going to for sure beat them ? No..but I like our chances and I do think we win.

These bowl games are hard to predict with teams having a month to prepare. Seems like the team that’s more motivated does better. Rich Brooks’ teams always did well. He was kind of a no-nonsense, business-like coach that was steady in his preparation. Stoops hasn’t done well in bowls so far against a couple teams I think we should’ve beaten had we put our best foot forward, but I hope he can learn from his mistakes.

I thought we were doing well against NW last year until the refs decided we were playing flag, no touch(except when Stevie was out of bounds, and Benny was trying to get to his feet.) I think that disrupted our team pysche. I imagine Benny is gonna be lookin' for someone to pay.

Boom! Goes the dynamite.

These bowl games are hard to predict with teams having a month to prepare. Seems like the team that’s more motivated does better. Rich Brooks’ teams always did well. He was kind of a no-nonsense, business-like coach that was steady in his preparation. Stoops hasn’t done well in bowls so far against a couple teams I think we should’ve beaten had we put our best foot forward, but I hope he can learn from his mistakes.
That’s fair criticism. In 2016, the team seemed happy just to be in a bowl game, and it showed. That’s on Stoops. Last year I thought the team was much better prepared. Just a shame the refs turned the game into a sh!t show. I also liked his call to go for the win at the end, even though it didn’t work it.

Let’s hope for a better outcome this time...

Watched a lot of their worst game, a 42-7 beatdown at Michigan. And I watched the Maryland game.

Their QB McSorley reminded me a lot of Jake Bentley. He’s pretty mobile, but does not have top-end speed.

The Michigan game was their worst of the season, against a very good team, and on the road. McSorley missed 3 or 4 series, throughout the game. Michigan owned them on both lines, and really bullied them, taking a 35-0 halftime lead, IIRC.

When healthy we dominated Florida and more than held our own against Mississippi State’s lines.

I’ll say this for certain: if that Michigan team shows up for the bowl with Florida, UF’s lines better pack a lunch. We had a clear advantage in line play against UF.

Because the Peach Bowl is played a couple of days prior to the Citrus, we might get a sneak preview of our game. If Florida can match Michigan’s physicality, it is a good sign for us.

Not that it matters, but with 1 minute left to play in the 3rd qtr, the score was UM 14, PSU 0. But if you remember it as 35-0 UM at halftime, good for you.

Using the Michigan game as an indication of the quality of our team is like me using the TN game as an indication of the quality of your team.

I see the following scores your offense put up in their last 5 games of the year against decent competition (not including MTS or Loserville):

I am pretty confident if you don't get into the 20's, we win.

The reality is both teams had some games this year where they looked really good and other games where they looked really bad. Hard to tell which version of either team will show up on Jan 1.

Not that it matters, but with 1 minute left to play in the 3rd qtr, the score was UM 14, PSU 0. But if you remember it as 35-0 UM at halftime, good for you.

Using the Michigan game as an indication of the quality of our team is like me using the TN game as an indication of the quality of your team.

I see the following scores your offense put up in their last 5 games of the year against decent competition (not including MTS or Loserville):

I am pretty confident if you don't get into the 20's, we win.

The reality is both teams had some games this year where they looked really good and other games where they looked really bad. Hard to tell which version of either team will show up on Jan 1.

I think your last paragraph sums up this game pretty well.

Considering the number of seniors on this UK team and what they went through to build this program, it is hard for me to believe they are not going to leave it all on the field. Plus, the UK players have not won a bowl game in their UK careers.

Unless they come out amped up too much, I think the UK seniors' motivation may be an advantage.

Think KY will be ready to play. A lot of Seniors playing their last game in the Blue and White and another game to show NFL teams what they can do. More importantly, think this program is now at a point where making a bowl game is not enough now. It’s time to win one. The Penn St brand is going to motivate KY players especially the OH guys. I may be crazy but think KY plays one of its best games of the year. I loved how the team played in last year’s game. If not for Snell being kicked out they win that game. Stoops played to win and I think he will have the same strategy in this game. Having Allen is a massive advantage for KY.

Michigan got a great draw against Florida. Florida is heavily overrated.

PSU will look to beat us over the top, especially after watching the UT tape. Other than that, they really don't threaten us much on offense

So far he looks like he can learn. It just takes being burned pretty bad for it to sink in. Probably a hangover from being a defensive back.

Michigan got a great draw against Florida. Florida is heavily overrated.

PSU will look to beat us over the top, especially after watching the UT tape. Other than that, they really don't threaten us much on offense

Oh, I hope they throw all day. Time spent in the pocket, is time that Josh Allen gets to go hunting. Drew Lock is better than McSorley, we made out ok. I like our secondary in the long run.

Their primary back looked sort of like Snell: big, and tough to tackle.

Penn State speed to the edges/corners did not look like SEC speed. Michigan looked FAST at every damn spot.

Some folks are saying we should have gotten the Peach against Michigan. Maybe, but they POUNDED Penn State, and absolutely lived in Penn State’s backfield.

Maybe an inverse correlation is best: if we can’t handle Penn State, God have mercy on Florida against Michigan.

You are placing too much emphasis on two games. Kentucky was too physical for Florida who was too physical for Tenn who was too physical for Kentucky.

Looking at any two of those games would’ve led to a mistaken assumption about the third.

Reactions: jbubb98

Hack, you are too good! Really do enjoy your insightful posts.

Reactions: BlueTick2
Oh, I hope they throw all day. Time spent in the pocket, is time that Josh Allen gets to go hunting. Drew Lock is better than McSorley, we made out ok. I like our secondary in the long run.

Didn't stop UT from doing it and having success. Gave them life which they carried through to a convincing win.

I don't think PSU can consistently move the ball against us for much of the same reason they couldn't against Michigan. That's why they'll have to take shots down field especially early

So far Stoops seems to rarely have a the team ready to play after a lay off, and just seems happy to be in a bowl. Time to make a statement and win one.

Stoops is 4-3 after an off week.. 0-2 in Bowls but last year they looked extremely good to me and were one play away from winning as an underdog. Needless to say the officiating was horrible.

PSU will look to beat us over the top, especially after watching the UT tape.

Tenn who was too physical for Kentucky.

Tennessee did not manhandle us in the trenches: they took the game away from our D-line by fast sweeps, beating us on the edge once, badly. and completing a couple of long passes, and a Hail Mary. They game-planned us perfectly, and executed plays well that negated our interior line strengths.

That's why they'll have to take shots down field especially early

Or run sweeps wide, and hope their receivers can out block our DB’s as did UT’s.

Tennessee did not manhandle us in the trenches: they took the game away from our D-line by fast sweeps, beating us on the edge once, badly. and completing a couple of long passes, and a Hail Mary. They game-planned us perfectly, and executed plays well that negated our interior line strengths.

Or run sweeps wide, and hope their receivers can out block our DB’s as did UT’s.

Beat us over the top is taking shots down the field. They challenged our dbs by throwing one on one balls that we lost. Their run game and defense only picked up once their pass game injected life into their team

Halftime this years game was 14-0 michigan and should have been closer.Michigan probably played their best game and PSU their worst.

Just to give a bit more insight on McSorley. He girls hurt against OSU (throwing arm/shoulder) and then again vs Iowa (knee) and hasn't been healthy for most of the year. As a result his arm strength and accuracy plummeted and his running game has not been as effective. Our offense relies heavily on the QBs position, and we struggled a lot in the second half of the season. Frankly, McSorely probably should not have been playing but he is a tough kid who gutted it out. The big question is whether he will be healthy of not for our bowl game.

I'm really slightly less worried about what Penn St. Is, and more worried if we actually show up to a bowl game focused, disciplined and ready to play. So far Stoops seems to rarely have a the team ready to play after a lay off, and just seems happy to be in a bowl. Time to make a statement and win one.

I guess you said “rarely,” but IMO we came to play against NW last year. Benny looked good and we were playing hardnosed until he got thrown out... and then SJ got hurt too.

Reactions: EliteBlue
i know Jerry Sandusky will be rooting for the mighty Penn St program along with the rest of Pennsylvania. Here's hoping for an assault free game.

I guess you said “rarely,” but IMO we came to play against NW last year. Benny looked good and we were playing hardnosed until he got thrown out... and then SJ got hurt too.

Agree, CMS was badly outcoached by a veteran (Paul Johnson) in the Gator Bowl, but UK was more ready to play against NW, our run defense was not the best, but only lost by 1 point to a top 25 team. In short, MCB in 2017 was a much better performance than the Gator Bowl in 2016

If we can score we can win. Offense against vandy a&m and missouri loses bigtime. I think d will play well.

If all the guys get healthy, I'm not worried. Kentucky has played and beaten better teams in the SEC than Penn State.

Agree, CMS was badly outcoached by a veteran (Paul Johnson) in the Gator Bowl, but UK was more ready to play against NW, our run defense was not the best, but only lost by 1 point to a top 25 team. In short, MCB in 2017 was a much better performance than the Gator Bowl in 2016

Perhaps. But sj gift wrapped a scoop and score for them in our first series. Devastating against an opponent built to thrive on playing with the lead.

We never recovered

Beat us over the top is taking shots down the field. They challenged our dbs by throwing one on one balls that we lost. Their run game and defense only picked up once their pass game injected life into their team
That's all true, but our offense sht the bed that day. We should have scored more than 21pts that UT scored and won the game.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
i know Jerry Sandusky will be rooting for the mighty Penn St program along with the rest of Pennsylvania. Here's hoping for an assault free game.
That's pretty funny (not). This particular thread has adults posting their various opinions on the outcome of the game. There's another thread for childish a$$holes to post insults on a topic that has nothing to do with any of the players, coaches, or fans who will be watching on Jan 1. Why don't you head over to that thread and demonstrate your immaturity and stupidity there.

That's all true, but our offense sht the bed that day. We should have scored more than 21pts that UT scored and won the game.

We were moving the ball with ease early. Benny tried to bounce a play that should've been an easy first. Then UT hits us twice deep right after (one was a PI).

Once they woke up, their 4/5 stars started actually playing. Combine that with Terry still being gimpy, Benny trying to bounce everything, and otherwise uninspired effort. We end up with a bad loss

Reactions: Chuckinden
That's pretty funny (not). This particular thread has adults posting their various opinions on the outcome of the game. There's another thread for childish a$$holes to post insults on a topic that has nothing to do with any of the players, coaches, or fans who will be watching on Jan 1. Why don't you head over to that thread and demonstrate your immaturity and stupidity there.

So you just use poor old Jerrys services then throw him away like y'all never looked out for him and swept his evil deeds under the rug. I'm sorry man I did t know if your mob wanted him protected or outed by their actions

Me and my boys hate Penn State and I've never liked your coach. Don't much care for programs who hide acts that are " hanging " offenses.

But to stay on subject I predict we will stifle your offense especially watching for the old end around and I'm thinking Benny is gonna pound you and CJ Conrad is going to rip off heavy yards Terry TD goes for 100 plus on the run and of course Lynn Bowden intends to gash you all day.

BTW those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. We shall never forget.

Allen is obviously an amazing talent, but in UK's three toughest games (Georgia, Florida and TAMU) he had one sack and one TFL total.

For comparison TAMU gave up 35 sacks this year; PSU only 25.

Good luck this bowl season! Should be a good game.

Allen is obviously an amazing talent, but in UK's three toughest games (Georgia, Florida and TAMU) he had one sack and one TFL total.

If the argument is he racked up numbers against weak competition - you're wrong. I noticed you left out msu from the "toughest games" list. How'd he do that game?

Against Georgia he had two fumble recoveries (not sure he got credit for one of those as a forced fumble or not).

Scal a Great game. Mizzou great game. Florida he had two giant pbus and was in coverage often, showing how complete he is as a player

Doesn't mean he will have a big game or not against psu. But if the argument is stats racked up against weak opponents - you're wrong. This ain't the big ten. We don't have weak opponents.

You left out Miss. State and Mizzou though. And here's another stat for you..UK played 5 ranked teams..they went 3-2. Penn St. played 2 ranked teams and went 0-2. Thanks for playing.

ADVERTISEMENT