ADVERTISEMENT

Went to the Purdue game last night ...

Runnin'Ramel

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
It was so refreshing to experience the following things:

1. A wild, engaged, rowdy crowd with a large student section near the court. Against Penn State. Not IU, Duke, Gonzaga, but Penn State.

2. A modern offense. Three-pointers were flying from everywhere (both teams, actually) as Zach Edey touched the ball nearly every possession, drew a double-team and either scored or kicked it out to an open shooter. He didn't have another non-shooting big clogging the lane with him.

3. A team filled with in-state Mr. Basketball and Mr. Basketball Runners-Up (plus their All American star) passing, cutting, working their asses off on defense, and having fun. Not saying UK needs to fill its roster with that profile, it was just nice to see. Felt like the days when basketball was pure. Tons of communication between players, and guys taking serious pride in defensive stops.

4. A coach that didn't scream, point to every spot on the floor to micro-manage players' every movement, or sub every time a player made a mistake.

5. A dominant performance that you'd expect from the #1 ranked team. They didn't mail it in, sleep-walk, or come out sluggish. Wire to wire, the place was bonkers and Purdue was out for blood.

6. Great plays being run to get guys open - Shrewsberry did it, too, his players were just out-matched - especially out of bounds plays or right out of a timeout.

7. The feeling that every possession mattered.

I could go on ... and say what you want about Matt Painter not getting to a Final Four .... blah blah blah ... but ....

... Kentucky basketball needs a re-boot on many levels, and it starts with John Calipari, friends. I was one of his biggest supporters when he arrived, and feel like the used car salesman tricked me and made me look like a fool to my friends years later. It is what it is. I enjoyed the ride, but it's time to move on.

Additionally, Rupp Arena just has to change. It needs to become a modern college basketball arena. Purists can point to "Big Game Rupp" and whatever, but you're hanging onto something that (a) isn't as big as you want it to be, and (b) should exist most games like it does elsewhere, creating a true home court advantage. Mackey Arena is nicer than Rupp, has far more amenities for fans in the concourse, lounges for people to watch other games, socialize and drink at halftime, and booster rooms where that crowd is treated like kings. I'm sure there are many more around the country that are similar. The blue hairs have soft leather chairs with high backs behind the media tables and they didn't seem to mind the noise/craziness. Former Purdue president and Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels was one of them.

Sucks to feel this way about UK basketball after nearly 40 years of watching every game, investing enormous sums of money to support the program, and wanting to raise my boys to enjoy it like I did growing up. This program is a shell of what it was, and what it could be. It's currently just a quick stop for AAU stars before trying to get on an NBA team.

Can you describe what a "modern offense" is? And remind me the last time Purdue was in the FF.
"And remind me the last time ...." That's the response I would expect from a teenager or someone still blinded by 2010-2015 thinking those days are right around the corner with yet another hyped up recruiting class.

If you think Calipari runs anything resembling modern basketball, you must not watch anything other than Kentucky games.

Purdue not getting to a Final Four has nothing to do with my post or where the UK program currently sits with no bright future ahead.

1. A wild, engaged, rowdy crowd with a large student section near the court. Against Penn State. Not IU, Duke, Gonzaga, but Penn State.

2. A modern offense. Three-pointers were flying from everywhere (both teams, actually) as Zach Edey touched the ball nearly every possession, drew a double-team and either scored or kicked it out to an open shooter. He didn't have another non-shooting big clogging the lane with him.

3. A team filled with in-state Mr. Basketball and Mr. Basketball Runners-Up (plus their All American star) passing, cutting, working their asses off on defense, and having fun. Not saying UK needs to fill its roster with that profile, it was just nice to see. Felt like the days when basketball was pure. Tons of communication between players, and guys taking serious pride in defensive stops.

4. A coach that didn't scream, point to every spot on the floor to micro-manage players' every movement, or sub every time a player made a mistake.

5. A dominant performance that you'd expect from the #1 ranked team. They didn't mail it in, sleep-walk, or come out sluggish. Wire to wire, the place was bonkers and Purdue was out for blood.

6. Great plays being run to get guys open - Shrewsberry did it, too, his players were just out-matched - especially out of bounds plays or right out of a timeout.

I could go on ... and say what you want about Matt Painter not getting to a Final Four .... blah blah blah ... but ....

... Kentucky basketball needs a re-boot on many levels, and it starts with John Calipari, friends. I was one of his biggest supporters when he arrived, and feel like the used car salesman tricked me and made me look like a fool to my friends years later. It is what it is. I enjoyed the ride, but it's time to move on.

Additionally, Rupp Arena just has to change. It needs to become a modern college basketball arena. Purists can point to "Big Game Rupp" and whatever, but you're hanging onto something that (a) isn't as big as you want it to be, and (b) should exist most games like it does elsewhere, creating a true home court advantage. Mackey Arena is nicer than Rupp, has far more amenities for fans in the concourse, lounges for people to watch other games, socialize and drink at halftime, and booster rooms where that crowd is treated like kings. I'm sure there are many more around the country that are similar. The blue hairs have soft leather chairs with high backs behind the media tables and they didn't seem to mind the noise/craziness. Former Purdue president and Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels was one of them.

Sucks to feel this way about UK basketball after nearly 40 years of watching every game, investing enormous sums of money to support the program, and wanting to raise my boys to enjoy it like I did growing up. This program is a shell of what it was, and what it could be. It's currently just a quick stop for AAU stars before trying to get on an NBA team.
I feel you RR. I was the same way. I had close friends that saw cal for what he is right a way, but I was slow to come a round and realize it and feel foolish for not seeing it earlier. We are simply being hi jacked and used by cal for his mission. He gave up coaching to become a NBA trainer at our expense. If those that support him over the program ever realize it they will feel foolish to for not realizing it sooner. Make Kentucky a Basketball Program again needs to be our slogan to get cal out of here!!

That Giant Edey is a handful. They wont get beat unless someone goes off on them behind the 3 point arch.

That Giant Edey is a handful. They wont get beat unless someone goes off on them behind the 3 point arch.

Meh, they could easily have 4-5 losses right now. They have escaped numerous close games against unranked teams. Could be the sign of a good team, but could also be the sign of a team that will be upset early in March.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
"And remind me the last time ...." That's the response I would expect from a teenager or someone still blinded by 2010-2015 thinking those days are right around the corner with yet another hyped up recruiting class.

If you think Calipari runs anything resembling modern basketball, you must not watch anything other than Kentucky games.

Purdue not getting to a Final Four has nothing to do with my post or where the UK program currently sits with no bright future ahead.
Ok, enlighten me vs personal attacks and responding like a teenager.

What is a "modern offense" and what principles of it do you see Purdue using?

I see Purdue using a 50 year throwback offense. Do you know they lost to lowly St Peters in the tourney?

But this throwback offense is quite effective with their big guy. So I guess "modern" means everything old is new again?

But I thought the "modern offense" here at this forum was Alabama's. You know, the same one Pitino ran 35 years ago at everyone's second favorite school now, Providence.

Nor did I mention anything about Cal in my first reply to you. Maybe it's a "teenager" thing on your part?

You do know that the BIG TEN has won only one (1) NCAA Championship in this century, with Michigan State winning it in 2000 over Florida ?? BIG TEN basketball is simply a different style of ball. I easily notice it whenever I watch a game. The defensive quality in the league is always lacking, it seems to me. I think CJ Fredrick would tell you the same thing.

Do not forget that St Peter's (15-seed) went on to win two (2) more games in the NCAA after defeating KY, including a talented Purdue team that was a 3-seed:

Last edited:
Maybe this is the year that Painter and Purdue finally break through to the Final 4, but they're just one of those teams that always flames out in the Tournament.

We all know Cal is not leaving until next year's class comes through here, so we have another year minimum of watching Cal trying to put lineups together that completely disregard the fan base. It's who he is; he is always trying to prove the fan base wrong.
We're the greatest fans, but we know very little how to win a basketball game.

As for Purdue, to each his own, but I don't have a sense of any Big 10 basketball team being able to win anything significant. Purdue losing to St Peters should be just as embarrassing to them, but they don't hold the coach accountable for it.

The national media always points to Louisville as a model program, with YUM , new dorm facilities and …just a couple years ago…the most profitable program . They’re 3-19. Painter was considered an underachiever until about this yr

Can't tell you how much I appreciate this post ... it provides a perspective that details differences I didn't know were there. Pretty sobering considering our Carpetbagging Clown Coach wants us to believe that UK is the Gold Standard of college basketball. UK is the Fiat Standard of college basketball ... filled with a lot of hot Calipari air. How many lies can this man spew? He can't be gone soon enough because number 1 ranked recruiting classes can't win anything consistently only being on campus for one year. The whole OAD premise is moronic. Thank you for your post.

Last edited:
I don’t understand the love of constantly rowdy crowds. Do you really want a Cameron Indoor or Assembly Hall atmosphere? If you do, I guess that’s your prerogative. I’ve never understood the point of people being loud just to be loud. I like our crowd that knows how to applaud really impressive plays and knows how to cheer in the big moments. Noise for noise sake? Yea, I’m out.

Ok, enlighten me vs personal attacks and responding like a teenager.

What is a "modern offense" and what principles of it do you see Purdue using?

I see Purdue using a 50 year throwback offense. Do you know they lost to lowly St Peters in the tourney?

But this throwback offense is quite effective with their big guy. So I guess "modern" means everything old is new again?

But I thought the "modern offense" here at this forum was Alabama's. You know, the same one Pitino ran 35 years ago at everyone's second favorite school now, Providence.

Nor did I mention anything about Cal in my first reply to you. Maybe it's a "teenager" thing on your part?
Purdue loves to use zoom action. They use the down screen coming to the handoff looking to drive the middle or shoot a 3 and a variation where the handoff man fades for a 3 as a second screen is set for the driver. Their bigs reject the screen and dive to the paint for post ups often when teams overplay. While zoom isn’t technically new, the variations used now for 4 & 5 out offenses are. It’s about as modern of an offense as you can get. Bama uses the same scheme. They just shoot more 3s from it.

Last edited:

It seems Purdue scores in the high 50’s or low 60’s every game

Welcome to the club.
I don't hate Cal.
But, I do hate what he has done to our basketball program.
It is time to move on from his circus act and get a real COLLEGE basketball coach.

Great post.

Can you describe what a "modern offense" is? And remind me the last time Purdue was in the FF.
His post has NOTHING to do with Purdue basketball, Matt Painter, or a modern offense.

This post is about the current state of UK basketball under Cal.

It is in a really bad place. The Purdue environment he just described was Rupp Arena under Pitino. Does that describe Rupp game atmosphere and experience now???

Last edited:

Go root for Purdue then. I was at KU game Saturday. Unreal environment. I think I’ll stay a UK fan.

His post has NOTHING to do with Purdue basketball, Matt Painter, or amodern offense.

This post is about the current state of UK basketball under Cal.

It is in a really bad place. The Purdue environment he just described was Rupp Arena under Pitino. Does that describe Tupp game atmosphere and experience now???
Saturday’s environment was awesome at Rupp. Program is far from dead.

Thank you OP. You described attending a college basketball game that was fun, entertaining and the crowd responded accordingly

This is something most of UK fans have not experienced in a long time. Our players never looked like they are having fun and the fans certainly are not.
UK fans experienced it 5 days ago.

Not crazy about the wild and rowdy crowd that that doesn't know shit from apple butter and screams/boos everything. On the other hand, I'm tired of seeing our wide eyed players go down south to some dank gym, face that environment and come away with the loss.

Know it'll never happen, but I wish we'd take the team that had the rowdiest home crowd each year and move their return trip to Memorial, first come first served seating. Put a $1 beer stand in the parking lot 4 hours before game time for good measure.

Just a reminder that this Purdue team lost to St. Peter’s as well, WITH a lottery pick in Jaden Ivey.

Glad they have fun in the regular season though.

Reactions: ukfan041
They average 74 per game.
I’m more curious. I looked and 74ppg puts them at 131st in the nation in scoring…32 spots behind us.

They are 201st in the nation in 3pt % (we are 59). Aren’t even in the top 250 in attempted 3’s.

They start 2 bigs that can’t shoot from the outside.

Appears that they play great defense and only allow 60ppg (10th in the nation)

I’m not arguing with a lot of what the OP says, but do they really run a modern offense? Those stats kind of suggest they play tough D and grind out wins on offense through the big guy.

I’m more curious. I looked and 74ppg puts them at 131st in the nation in scoring…32 spots behind us.

They are 201st in the nation in 3pt % (we are 59). Aren’t even in the top 250 in attempted 3’s.

I’m not arguing with a lot of what the OP says, but do they really run a modern offense? Those stats kind of suggest they play tough D and grind out wins on offense through the big guy.
Yeah I think it’s skewed due to high scoring games early on but it seems every game they have no is low scoring

Please don't do that. Don't back your statement up with facts and numbers. People hate that.

But yes, you are correct. They are very good defensively which is why they are in every game. Offense is very meh and not better than UK's.

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
I don’t understand the love of constantly rowdy crowds. Do you really want a Cameron Indoor or Assembly Hall atmosphere? If you do, I guess that’s your prerogative. I’ve never understood the point of people being loud just to be loud. I like our crowd that knows how to applaud really impressive plays and knows how to cheer in the big moments. Noise for noise sake? Yea, I’m out.
Yea I personally enjoy having a great, fun time when going to a sporting event as opposed to feeling like I’m at an anniversary screening of Schindler’s List.

This^^^^^^^^

If you are older than 22 you should be happy with Rupp Arena. I don't need a bunch of kids surrounding the court screaming the entire game. Screw that.

Since 1976 UK wins 90% of their games in Rupp, and the crowd gets up for big games and when the team needs it.
You want college kids jumping and screaming for 40 minutes against Bellarmine? Go be a Duke fan in that little 9,300 seat gym.

mackey arena 14k., Purdue #1 (not a history of great team)... UK # terrible and history..... Coach loved, Coach not loved

apples to oranges

but let's find more things to complain about

ADVERTISEMENT