ADVERTISEMENT

Wendell Carter Jr.'s Mother compares NCAA to Slavery

Look at the NBA draft, those are the players she's referencing, and they are predominantly black athletes.

And stop acting like she said playing in the NCAA is like slavery. That's not representative of what she said. She slavery was the only other place where black labor worked for free to benefit white "bosses". While there are black coaches and black executives at the NCAA, the folks making the money are predominantly white.

The NCAA is raking in millions and not paying a market wage. She's right, the economics are akin to modern day slavery.

But fans don't want to admit it because it puts their entertainment in jeopardy.

And she knew going in he was not getting paid to play college ball, yet chose to. Not even close to the same thing.

Reactions: morgousky
Reparations?

shaun-king3.jpg

giphy.gif

It is a shame that such a statement can generate 300+ posts.She was probably paid to say it by someone with an agenda or she is related to Lavar Ball and just looking to attract attention.

It is a shame that such a statement can generate 300+ posts.She was probably paid to say it by someone with an agenda or she is related to Lavar Ball and just looking to attract attention.
Same statement has been said dozens of times on this board with no response.

April 12th, "I told him I wanted him to come back [to school]," Carter's mom, Kylia, told The Undefeated.

Great mom if she was telling her son that she wanted him to go back into slavery for another year.
This simply cannot go unseen. I never thought about this from a Duke fan perspective (nor do I ever want to again). While you all are arguing about generalized racism, then I bet Duke fans have to be embarrassed as hell by her comments.

This simply cannot go unseen. I never thought about this from a Duke fan perspective (nor do I ever want to again). While you all are arguing about generalized racism, then I bet Duke fans have to be embarrassed as hell by her comments.

It would be one thing if she could go more than a minute without contradicting herself and put together an actual argument. But she brings up slavery and racism right off the bat, which is extremely stupid and even dumber considering Duke's biggest star the past 3 years has been a white kid.

She says it's like slavery but a month ago she was trying to convince her son to go back, complaining that the players don't get paid then says paying the players would make it worse. Add in the her saying it was racist someone called her a b****. Honestly can't wait for her to association with Duke to be done. It's embarrassing.

She clearly is misplacing her case by trying to make it racist. BUT, college athletes DO have restrictions no other student has. How is that fair?

I can't recall the name of the professional snowboarder who also played football for Colorado. But the NCAA said if he used his likeness to sell snow boarding gear they would declare him ineligible. The kid wasn't even a NFL prospect. Does that sound fair to anyone?

If I help develop a new technology or medicine while in school, I can get a cut when that is sold to a company to market it. Players get squat, even when their jersey sales bring in possibly a couple hundred thousand to the school.

And let's remember, as the NCAA Lukes to remind us, 90% of these kids will be going Pro in something OTHER than sports. So they produced revenue for their schools, were REQUIRED to attend practices and put in 20 hrs a week practice time, received healthcare, etc ....... but are not employees. The NCAA created the title "student athlete" to protect themselves from workman's comp claims, disability payments, and unions. Why do we think they thought that step was necessary?

I mean, when you take the bling and bells and whistles away from almost ANYTHING it's going to look like crap. I'm all for athletes getting compensated for stuff like memorabilia and stuff but slavery? Come on now.

The kids that make the schools the money are usually going to the nicer schools with the nicest EVERYTHING. They get more high end brand new basketball shoes than you can count. Get to stay in campus housing for athletes. Get free education, in a lot of instances for life (which can be a ton depending on the school, like 50k a year minimum) as well as get ridiculous exposure they wouldnt get overseas or at a smaller lesser known school while also getting the best of the best in their respective fields to develop them as players AND young men, FOR FREE.

The NCAA is flawed, but to chalk up our locker room and training facilities, along with our free edcuation to go with guys like Payne, Cal, Robic etc dedicating every waking hour they can to make you better as just fluff and "bling" to cover up the athletes missuse is a bit of a stretch. Id KILL to get a free education while also working with the elites in development to hone my skills to be a future NBA draft that id never be able to get on my own, let alone for free all the while playing with team mates i consider my brothers aiming for a championship. A lot worse ways to spend your time. You can make almost ANY job look like slavery if you squint hard enough. No paychecks doesn't mean they aren't compensated.

Carter's attitude says everything. These OAD kids don't care about an education, just compensation. Saying they are student athletes is a farce and charade. I say revoke the OAD rule and allow kids to enter the draft - with no safety net of going to college if undrafted. You want to be a grown up or "man", go be one. Just don't cry when it doesn't turn out your way, or expect some organization or school to be a soft place to land.

She clearly is misplacing her case by trying to make it racist. BUT, college athletes DO have restrictions no other student has. How is that fair?

I can't recall the name of the professional snowboarder who also played football for Colorado. But the NCAA said if he used his likeness to sell snow boarding gear they would declare him ineligible. The kid wasn't even a NFL prospect. Does that sound fair to anyone?

If I help develop a new technology or medicine while in school, I can get a cut when that is sold to a company to market it. Players get squat, even when their jersey sales bring in possibly a couple hundred thousand to the school.

And let's remember, as the NCAA Lukes to remind us, 90% of these kids will be going Pro in something OTHER than sports. So they produced revenue for their schools, were REQUIRED to attend practices and put in 20 hrs a week practice time, received healthcare, etc ....... but are not employees. The NCAA created the title "student athlete" to protect themselves from workman's comp claims, disability payments, and unions. Why do we think they thought that step was necessary?
That is utterly ridiculous. All of it.

Carter's attitude says everything. These OAD kids don't care about an education, just compensation. Saying they are student athletes is a farce and charade. I say revoke the OAD rule and allow kids to enter the draft - with no safety net of going to college if undrafted. You want to be a grown up or "man", go be one. Just don't cry when it doesn't turn out your way, or expect some organization or school to be a soft place to land.

That's a knee jerk reaction that punishes the whole for the few that think that way. Carter's attitude is definitely all about compensation. Her son should have skipped college and all the benefits he got this year and just gone over seas. Hopefully with the G-League, morons like that can just skip college all together and let those who want the year to develop without taking the risk can enjoy the process like a normal respectful group of human beings. Not saying Wendell or whatever his name thinks way, but his mom obviously does and her mouth is way too big.

Look at the NBA draft, those are the players she's referencing, and they are predominantly black athletes.

And stop acting like she said playing in the NCAA is like slavery. That's not representative of what she said. She slavery was the only other place where black labor worked for free to benefit white "bosses". While there are black coaches and black executives at the NCAA, the folks making the money are predominantly white.

The NCAA is raking in millions and not paying a market wage. She's right, the economics are akin to modern day slavery.

But fans don't want to admit it because it puts their entertainment in jeopardy.

Playing basketball in the NCAA is a voluntary exchange. Nothing about it is like slavery.

50 years ago the complaint was inclusion. Now that black players dominate college basketball, the complaint is "show me the money". She and her ilk can go away if they don't like the system. Not a single human being on earth is forcing these kids into college basketball.

It is the epitome of hypocrisy to take what is offered then accuse the system of being slave like on the way out the door.

Reactions: Cat in ga
The mindset and thinking of many in the good ole USA is what is wrong with the world we live in. Everyone thinks they are being slighted and owed everything.
If one could go back in time and drop those “entitled” folk’s off in the 1942-1945 era, I’d bet they’d change their tune. Back when people had to make sacrifice’s and asked for little in return. Except victory and peace.

Reactions: Bobcat94
Those are expenses that increase the bottom line, simply put this is a business run like a business. In layman terms , you have to spend money to make money.

Simply put, if you aren't happy with the collegiate model, don't volunteer to be a part of it. there are viable options to going to college to play basketball.

Let's drop the race part first, we all know that NCAA rules apply to players of all backgrounds. That might be her perspective, but reality is white or black the same rules apply.

HOWEVER, "student-athletes" have none of the same freedom of movement that other students have. They are very limited in what and where they can earn outside income, and during their seasons they can't even have jobs.

Meanwhile, the schools claim poverty while paying coaches and administrators insane salaries but the players get essentially no more benefit than a biochemistry student on a full ride who CAN share in profits from their work with the University or any outside jobs they please.

The difference? NCAA RULES.

Why? Because it's all about the athletics money. And in that sense, IT IS A LOT LIKE SLAVERY. It's not racist, but it's still slavery. And historically there have been slaves of many colors, genders, etc. She was referencing just one but she didn't need to limit it to that.

Got damn, what part of "slaves didn't have a choice, they were brought here against their will" and "college basketball players have a choice (overseas, G-League)" don't people understand? Holy hell...

Hey Mrs. Carter, these kids are getting a very expensive education for free! Just because you and your son do not value that doesn't mean it isn't valuable. Just ask any current students who are paying for their own education or getting loans that will have to be paid back, or graduates in the working world that are still paying them off. Get a clue and get out of here with that bull$*&t!

The 'Slavery' analogy is insulting to everyone that doesn't use excuses to justify why they haven't achieved as much in their lives as they would have liked (See Morgan Freeman, possibly my favorite human being, not just actor. He's not a big fan of excuses). You'll get no sympathy here.

I don't necessarily disagree with her that the NCAA and it's rules are wayyyy behind the times, but 'Slavery', get the hell out of here. That comment is going to fall on a lot of deaf ears. What you are calling Slavery, some people would call Opportunity, an opportunity a lot of people would kill for, I'm just sayin'.

Last edited:
This country already has offered reparations to minorities.

Take the generosity of the free education money and lower standards, teach yourself how to use an alarm clock and prosper.

If you feel really motivated open a business and benefit from nearly interest free funding and tax incentives that come with being a minority owner.

Pretty simple.

Fair or not fair is a credible argument. We can debate that. I think the "unfair" argument is overplayed. But still, it's an approachable argument.

The slavery comments, in any form, is intellectual dishonesty from the jump and will shut the sht down as far as most people are concerned. These tactics from that side of the isle are ridiculous and people today need to do what was always done and put those people back in the closet away from society.

Fair or not fair is a credible argument. We can debate that. I think the "unfair" argument is overplayed. But still, it's an approachable argument.

The slavery comments, in any form, is intellectual dishonesty from the jump and will shut the sht down as far as most people are concerned. These tactics from that side of the isle are ridiculous and people today need to do what was always done and put those people back in the closet away from society.
The ones who cry and complain about "slavery" are the ones who actually never left the plantation. Their plantation today in the Democrat Party and their religion is "liberalism". This translates to about 95% of the black race in America voting Democrat in every election. No matter what the issues, no matter who the candidate they can be counted on to line up in lockstep and vote for the candidate their party tells them to vote for. If they dare stray from this and vote against what their "master" tells them to do, they suffer the consequences. That is a plantation system.

The ones who cry and complain about "slavery" are the ones who actually never left the plantation. Their plantation today in the Democrat Party and their religion is "liberalism". This translates to about 95% of the black race in America voting Democrat in every election. No matter what the issues, no matter who the candidate they can be counted on to line up in lockstep and vote for the candidate their party tells them to vote for. If they dare stray from this and vote against what their "master" tells them to do, they suffer the consequences. That is a plantation system.

Without even being political, it has to be understood. They have performed brilliantly in the misdirection department. From the southern strategy to voter restrictions, all misinformation. But to actually convince a free population that they need to hand over their rights to the government? Their healthcare to the government? Their relationships with each other need to be filtered through the government? Their kids should be educated by the government?

That is why tyrants and dictators will use that party platform centuries from now to chip away at any society that is free. They are literally drawing a playbook for them. Don't take control from the people, just ask for it. They will fall on their own

Last edited:
Weasel whippin' out fairness doctrine on Rafters. That's rich. Since when did you give the first raw damn about fairness? How about we just draw an even comparison to how the NCAA treats student athletes to how UNC orchestrated academic fraud? And what was your approach to that one from the outset? Oh yeah . . . that UNC hadn't necessarily done anything wrong by doing something very, very bad. Nevermind that allowing them to skate was . . . not fair.

But skate they did. You got it your way, Weasel. Thanks for posting. Now please tell us how you got banned from the Radar, as if that makes a difference.

Damn.

Kopicat, I was banned because I DIDN'T take the middle road when the scandal broke.

Yes, I played nice over there for years, but when this all started I spoke up and was crucified on their site. Apparently for laying in wait for 10 years for the right time to "show my true colors".

Over here, after I was banned at UNC's site, a few like to rub my nose in it. Have a blast.

But please don't rewrite my words to fit YOUR agenda. I'll do me, you do you.

Ok answer the question honestly.

Did you ever root for North Carolina, at all, if UK wasn't playing?

I can answer that since I know Weasel.....He is all UK basketball...Never ever pulls for UNC.....In football he pulls for UK, but is primarily a Miami U and Ohio State fan.....He lived in both places in his younger days.

A great guy, who left NC last year for a new career in Tenn....We had a mutual friend here in NC, and that is how I got to know him.

I haven't agreed with everything he has said in this thread, but I respect the heck out of him.

When they were below .500 and playing Duke .... I cheered for NC. A friend took me to that game.

I lived there 20 years, made some life long friends. I rib them, they rib me. But it's not hateful like so much of the internet these days. We're rivals, not mortal combatants.

And I was banned for the reasons I stated. I questioned Roy's character after the story broke and during the Wheels for Heels mess. My comments started a Sh÷+storm, I was banned there and a few folks here relished in it. Lol, so be it.

When they were below .500 and playing Duke .... I cheered for NC. A friend took me to that game.

I lived there 20 years, made some life long friends. I rib them, they rib me. But it's not hateful like so much of the internet these days. We're rivals, not mortal combatants.

And I was banned for the reasons I stated. I questioned Roy's character after the story broke and during the Wheels for Heels mess. My comments started a Sh÷+storm, I was banned there and a few folks here relished in it. Lol, so be it.

Ha...I figured you had gone to bed so I posted about you.....forgot you are in central time

Univky ..... hope you are well brother. I am actually in NC selling my house.

Come to Nashville for the SEC Tourney next year man. We'll put together a Wildcat party at the shop.

Univky ..... hope you are well brother. I am actually in NC selling my house.

Come to Nashville for the SEC Tourney next year man. We'll put together a Wildcat party at the shop.

Is our buddy helping with the house sale?...

Bs! They vote for the Democratic Party cause all the Republicans care about the white roe and mostly the white male.

A year or two after Cal came I would check in on the Tar Holes board, and posted a bit. I think any suggestion that Weasel is a closeted TH fan is ridiculous. He was far more deferential than I would be, as was jchammock, but that's hardly the same as being a fan of those cheaters. What would be the point of doing that anyway?

What's the point of doing anything on an internet message board? What's the point of believing it is possible to determine character from a few posts therein, as you seem to believe to have such ability to do so? The point was never about making claim about what he is, but about his right to make statements of fairness. The basis has been established. Takes more than one post of back-reading to get it . . . always. The old system was all the more useful. I can't blame him for not wanting to be accountable. Besides, all women are that way. See what a fairness statement actually looks like, weasel?

Hate much? I bet you are a joy to be around.......Weasel over you every day, because I do know him...........Even on topics I may not agree with him on, he is at least civil.

Living here in NC since 1984, my hate for UNC and Duke is close, but more UNC because of their fans, of which there are many more of.

I never want either to win, but win they play each other, I pull more for one to lose.....depends on the year and what is in UK's best interest.

ADVERTISEMENT